PDA

View Full Version : Had "BUG" war...BUG won!!! YIKES!!

purplerose23
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I got a rude awakening at 6am, and this is after finally getting to snooze at 2:30! What was it you ask?? Why it was a HUGE palmetto bug............crawling on MY arm!!!! Lets just say I woke up and my other half got a rude awakening too!!! LOL We BOTH jumped out of bed and shook it out and it flew back out..............THANK GOD! Then I closed the window, not to open it again!

Hows THAT for a Tuesday funny??????? But it was real!!!
:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

DBackFan
06-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Ugh those things are disgusting..lol We had them in Arizona. Sorry!

ElleGee
06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Wanna borrow a Beardie? :)

Shann
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
EWwwwww! OMG I had to look it up, it looks like a darn cockroach I would have been screaming and running around... ick ick ick

DBackFan
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&requestId=4d357d21ac1699c&userQuery=palmetto+bug+picture&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dkimages.com%2Fdis cover%2Fpreviews%2F976%2F80058786.JPG&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

The ones we would get could FLY and they are more green and eat on the roots of a Palmetto tree I think because they came from holes in the ground..I just know they are GROSS

tuggerbug
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Somehow they do manage to get in. The house can be closed up tight and in the middle of the night the cat goes bonkers chasing one of those creepy things. Yuck! That's a curse of living in the south I guess.

sheila_361
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
ewwwww I hate those things!!!!!

BigLyd1
06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one and hope I never do!

JKATHERINE
06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one and hope I never do!

Same here. NASTY!

ntgsmommy
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
EWwwwww! OMG I had to look it up, it looks like a darn cockroach I would have been screaming and running around... ick ick ick

Because they are! I think people just give them a better sounding name then a cockroach... ewww.......when I lived in Florida, I had one fly down my blouse..:yikes :yikes :yikes needless to say, I stripped really quick! got that sucka outta there real quick like! I still freak out to this day.

lucimPI
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Very slowly I looked at the picture of one. OMG, I know I would have wet my pants. Nasty looking beastie...

nanajoanie
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I hated those when we lived in Tampa. They are called Palmetto bugs and it's a nightmare when they fly. Cockroaches come in American - large and German - small in FL. That's what Orkin fellas told us.

My oldest grandgirl just moved to the Phoenix are last week and I didn't know they were in AZ. She'll freak if she sees one and be ready to move back to NC first time she saw one fly.

Trishntx
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
for some reason they like my hair......ugh. And they are fast fast.. When they fly, you don't have time to get out of their way. It's also unnerving when they hit the windows trying to get in.

BlueBerriTerri
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
For the love of Mike.......THE HORROR. I am insanely terrified of those things. OMG, and crawling on your arm??? Mine would be dead to me now....just amputate and give me a fake.

Char
06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
My friend in Florida used to tell me about them... I have yet to meet one, and don't want to ! I don't 'do' bugs well. I, like you, would have freaked out ! What a rude awakening !!

tsquared
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM
They are coming to take you away hey hey..............lol

purplerose23
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
YES I agree with you all.........they are gross and very very nasty.......I cannot stand the sight of them, but yep.........on my arm was EVEN worse!!

BUT guess who tried to make a return visit???? YEP my lil friend...he hit the window about 5 minutes ago and thank GOD above he did not get in!!!!!!!!

I just HATE them.............

BigLyd1
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I noticed your location. Isn't that where they also have those praying mantises? Now those are scary!

tngirl
06-11-2008, 03:19 AM
We have them here in Memphis. In a house we used to live in, you could sit there and hear them crawling up the wall. Out of no where you would hear this "scratching" sound as they climbed.

Now, the dogs and cats love to catch them and play with them. Yuck! I hate roaches.

ntgsmommy
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I noticed your location. Isn't that where they also have those praying mantises? Now those are scary!

nahhh..those are fun! I pick them up and let them crawl around on my hands then release them....they can get huge too. They will eat those "palmetto bugs" lol...:rofl:

BigLyd1
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
nahhh..those are fun! I pick them up and let them crawl around on my hands then release them....they can get huge too. They will eat those "palmetto bugs" lol...:rofl:

:yikes :yikes :yikes I think I've only seen four in my lifetime. Once in Texas decades ago, once in South Carolina a few years ago, and twice locally. One looked like a baby though...maybe it was just an oversized grasshopper. But I think I saw another at work. Very unusual to see them here.

ElleGee
06-11-2008, 10:38 AM

We get mantis all the time up here.. Those I like.. I freak out the 6 little girls on the street when I pick one up and let it walk around on my arm

*Killing a mantis in RI is a $1000 fine