PDA

View Full Version : Made an executive decision

ElleGee
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
The schools in RI do not have ac in the buildings. I mean why would we? It never gets this hot (record temps today) this early.

Most towns are either canceling school or having half days... Except for Providence of course..We are always the last to get canceled for snow so this is no different

I am not sending them tomorrow. I mean they won't be able concentrate w/the heat anyway so why not...

flute
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
((Hugs))

Jenefer3
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I think you're doing the right thing. In addition to not being able to concentrate, that kind of heat can cause health issues if they aren't able to get enough fluids. I don't know what your kids' school is like, but at the schools my kids go to, they aren't allowed to just get up and have water whenever they want.

ElleGee
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
The mayor was on the news and said they are providing bottled water.

yeeeeah no, I am defo keeping them home

Shann
06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd do the same :hug

flute
06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I've never had to make that type of decision, you need to do what you feel is right - regardless of who agrees with you or not.

Jackie_Blu
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont blame you, Elle.....would do the same thing. and you are right, they wouldnt be able to concentrate anyway.:)

evrita
06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I didnt send my DD to school today she wasnt feeling good anyways and tomm it is supposed to be in the high 90s and humid and the school has no Acs it is a hard choice to make.

freeby4me
06-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Good for you and when you call them to call her in, tell them why. If enough parents keep them home they wont get credit for the day and maybe they'll realize its not worth the health risks for those kids.

ElleGee
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I just got an automated message from the school saying they are letting out one hour early.. wth is an hour going to do?

I am glad I kept them out

Njean31
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
i would have done the same thing!

tammy77
06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
I dont see what the big deal is.When I was in elementary school we didnt get out of school until the end of June and our school didnt have AC just a fan on a stand.I dont know how we survived but we did and we went to school everyday.I wish we had the luxury of having AC in our school.
I always thought that kids could take the heat better then adults.Its been almost 100 degrees out around here and I dont have the luxury of being in AC 24-7 at my job.I work in a kitchen at a nursing home and it never seems like the AC is on with all the stoves and ovens on.I also work in the dishroom and I cant even begin to tell you how hot it is in there.Its sad when you have to go outside to get some relief.Oh and did I mention that Im 8 and a half months pregnant and cant take the heat at all.

ElleGee
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
I dont see what the big deal is.When I was in elementary school we didnt get out of school until the end of June and our school didnt have AC just a fan on a stand.I dont know how we survived but we did and we went to school everyday.I wish we had the luxury of having AC in our school.
I always thought that kids could take the heat better then adults.Its been almost 100 degrees out around here and I dont have the luxury of being in AC 24-7 at my job.I work in a kitchen at a nursing home and it never seems like the AC is on with all the stoves and ovens on.I also work in the dishroom and I cant even begin to tell you how hot it is in there.Its sad when you have to go outside to get some relief.Oh and did I mention that Im 8 and a half months pregnant and cant take the heat at all.

We live in New England.. We do not get as hot as NC. We are not used to the heat like you all may be..
And it doesn't get this hot until July, by that time the kids are already out

tammy77
06-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Im sorry I forgot to mention that I use to live in NJ and went to school there.I remember some summers were really hot.

ElleGee
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
NJ isn't RI dear :) Patch can tell you.. Your weather in NJ is still not the same as RI. We are breaking record upon record with the heat.

dcut4
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Good call!
I work in a school and I can tell you not much gets accomplished in that kind of heat. The teachers are miserable, the kids can't think, some wind up getting sick to their stomachs (mine always do)..all around unproductive.
Plus at the end of the year not much is going on anyway for them to miss.
I would have done the same thing.

Momof2totsand1teen
06-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I would have kept my kiddos home too. My 10 year old gets bloody noses when he gets too hot. You totally did the right thing.

atprm
06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
when sending your child to school could endanger their life -- be that on the way to school, in the classroom, or coming home from school -- then the child should not be in school.

Their health is so much more fragile than adults -- you made the right decision.

ElleGee
06-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Channel 12 news went to a classroom in a school in Providence with a digital thermometer earlier today.. With 7 fans running it was 107 degrees.. My DH can kiss my a$$ now for getting mad that I didn't send them

evrita
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Let me say today it was 103 with the heat index and we dont even have fans or windows in my DD school. They have an open concept school.

nanajoanie
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Here in NC some schools supply coolers full of water for each classroom. The trailers have drinking fountains in the rooms. It's been 96-100 here for about a week but the kidlettes still go to school. And hot is hot no matter where you live in this kind of heat, just have lots of water anytime the kidlette wants it.

My gradeschool back in the 40's and 50's all we had were floor fans in each room. The teachers would open the windows for any breeze that happened by. And in the winter it was never considered to get a snowday in Grand Rapids, MI. And we had snow up to our windowsills. It was all neighborhood schools. No so many ride school busses that they have to have snowdays so as to not endanger the kidlettes. Gosh how times have changed.