http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/06/02/fireworks-in-a-glass.htm

What You Need
water
oil
food coloring
tall clear glass
another cup or glass
fork

Fill the tall glass almost to the top with room-temperature water. Warm water is ok, too.
Pour a little oil into the other glass. (1-2 tablespoons)
Add a couple of drops of food coloring. I used one drop of blue and one drop of red, but you can use any colors.
Briefly stir the oil and food coloring mixture with a fork. You want to break up the food coloring drops into smaller drops, but not thoroughly mix the liquid.
Pour the oil and coloring mixture into the tall glass.
Now watch! The food coloring will slowly sink in the glass, with each droplet expanding outward as it falls, resembling fireworks falling into water.
How It Works

Food coloring dissolves in water, but not in oil. When you stir the food coloring in the oil, you are breaking up the coloring droplets (though drops that come into contact with each other will merge... blue + red = purple). Oil is less dense than water, so the oil will float at the top of the glass. As the colored drops sink to the bottom of the oil, they mix with the water. The color diffuses outward as the heavier colored drop falls to the bottom.

Char
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
LOL! I'm actualy going to try this flutie ! THANKS !

BTW... my oldest sister's birthday is on Flag Day, lol, has always made it easy to remember ! :D

tareygirl
06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
That's too cool. Does it look sorta like a lava lamp? My dads birthday was on Flag day, and when I was a kid(I live in a small town) I always thought that they put all the flags up because it was his birthday.

Char
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
That's too cool. Does it look sorta like a lava lamp? My dads birthday was on Flag day, and when I was a kid(I live in a small town) I always thought that they put all the flags up because it was his birthday.

LOL! That is sooooo funny !! I should tell my sister that...lol, that I thought they put up all the flags for her !! :rofl:

My oldest sister turns 54 this year... how old is your dad ?

tareygirl
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
He passed away in 1980, but if he were alive he woulb be 94. Tell your sister to have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Char
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
He passed away in 1980, but if he were alive he woulb be 94. Tell your sister to have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Ah, ok........ my dad passed in 1996, he was born in 1921, he'd be 87. Hard to believe.

Yea, I will tell my sister ! :D I'll tell her this story even. TY !

flute
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
BTW... my oldest sister's birthday is on Flag Day, lol, has always made it easy to remember ! :D

That's too funny - I had a friend from school who's birthday was flag day - and I remember her every time this year.

Her daddy took his scam to STL - bigger area, more ppl to scam :(
At least I take it she still lives with her parents.
Sad :(

wyrmslyph
06-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Explorer 4x4'r
06-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Gonna try this with the grandkids