PDA

View Full Version : my rude awakening

ladybugva
06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
So last night I am all asleep, and suddenly hear a loud beeping and then "fire, fire". I jumped out of bed and the smoke/carbon monoxide alarm outside my door is going off. it's 2:30 in the am DH had fallen asleep on the couch watching sports and comes to the bottom of the stairs. The oldest wakes up, but not the other two.

Then it just stopped. We looked around. No smoke (and non of the other 3 alarms up stairs going off). Windows open and fans were on so I knew it wasn't carbon monoxide. Then it just stopped. Go back to bed, starts again. We replaced the battery and that was it. No chirping to say "hey change the battery" but alarms at 2:30 in the am scaring the crap out of me waking me up. At least I now know that it wakes up most of us.

now I just want to go back to bed.

Lild
06-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah, take it as a trial run, lol...
Seriously though, I would've freaked, then counted my blessing, all after cursing out loud for about 30 minutes

hblueeyes
06-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Scary. I probably would have still called the fire dept., non-emergency number just so they could have a look and check that fire was not in the walls. 9 years ago the dog turned on the stove trying to get at a pot of chicken soup with farina dumplings. The place was all smokey when I got home. The house was all smokey. I opened windows and put the dog outside. I called the FD so I'd have a report for the insurance. Well they checked the attic and other stuff I did not think of. No fire, lots of heat and smoke damage though.

Thank goodness it was not a fire.

Me

Shann
06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
that would be scary, never had that happen, but thankfully it was just the alarm being crazy and not a real fire, glad you all are all right :hug

BeanieLuvR
06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
That would have been awfully scary. My heart would have been racing a mile a minute. I am glad there was nothing wrong and that you and your family are ok. :hug

Renrut
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, take it as a trial run, lol...
Seriously though, I would've freaked, then counted my blessing, all after cursing out loud for about 30 minutes

agrees

dv8grl
06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
That happened to us this past winter. It scared the crap outta us!

ladybugva
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah I went right back to sleep but dh was up till about 4:30. made me realize I needed a better plan. Wasn't sure where to go w/ whom first.

dinosmom
06-04-2008, 10:54 AM
We had this happen a few times before. All our smoke detectors are hooked up together so if one goes off, they all go off. If a battery is going in one, it will beep but if you forget about it, it eventually will set off all the alarms...usually at 3am! LOL We also had a problem with electrical spikes that were setting them off too...again, usually at 3am! Turns our we had a transformer in the alley that was going bad (it eventually blew up) and that was the culprit. BTW-my 10 yr old sleeps right on thru them!!!!!! YIKES