PDA

View Full Version : excited about going back to work in August

ttistin
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I work in a high school lunch room (10th, 11th, and 12th grade) 9th grade has a school of its own across the street.

Anyway there are 9 workers (including me) plus the manager. Well at the end of the school year there was talk about changing some things around and hiring 2 more workers.

Well today on the schools employment page it has 2 openings for the school I work in. We are getting 2 more workers, that is going to be awesome. Going to make things so much easier. There was talk about adding a kiosk in the cafeteria so I am guessing with the hiring of 2 more people we will get that also.

I am hoping that whoever is hired is a team worker, know what I mean? It is going to be so different and hopefully easier.

Will have to wait till school starts in August before I can really know how it is going to be.

Woohooo!! lol

Pepsi4me
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I work in a high school lunch room (10th, 11th, and 12th grade) 9th grade has a school of its own across the street.

Anyway there are 9 workers (including me) plus the manager. Well at the end of the school year there was talk about changing some things around and hiring 2 more workers.

Well today on the schools employment page it has 2 openings for the school I work in. We are getting 2 more workers, that is going to be awesome. Going to make things so much easier. There was talk about adding a kiosk in the cafeteria so I am guessing with the hiring of 2 more people we will get that also.

I am hoping that whoever is hired is a team worker, know what I mean? It is going to be so different and hopefully easier.

Will have to wait till school starts in August before I can really know how it is going to be.

Woohooo!! lol

Isn't it nice when you actually have enough workers in the school cafeteria with you. I also work in the school cafeteria as the baker/lunch server.

It's so hard when you dont have enough help. It's nice when you have team players but sucks when the ones they hire dont like to be team players.

Lild
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
So you have the summer off? What's your plans??
At least they didn't get rid of 2 people...

ttistin
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Isn't it nice when you actually have enough workers in the school cafeteria with you. I also work in the school cafeteria as the baker/lunch server.

It's so hard when you dont have enough help. It's nice when you have team players but sucks when the ones they hire dont like to be team players.

We have one person know that is not a team player, This person is also a DRAMA person. Will do and or say anything to cause drama. It makes it so hard to work. But it is only one person and I love my job so I deal with it. Everyone works 6 hours a day, so it works out.

I am also a baker/do anything person lol I bake in the mornings and then when lunch starts I go where manager wants me.

ttistin
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
So you have the summer off? What's your plans??
At least they didn't get rid of 2 people...

My last day of work is 2 days after school lets out, and I start 2 days before school starts. It is so nice to have the summers off with the kids. Plus I get paid for it:dancing:

We don't have any plans, just spending time around the house cleaning and letting the kids play.

Shann
06-03-2008, 03:07 PM
that sounds wonderful :D It's nice not being short staffed :) and I bet it is nice being able to have the summer w/ your kids :)

Army-Mom
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
sounds great. it is always nice to have an extra pair of hands..

Thamlet
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
We have one person know that is not a team player, This person is also a DRAMA person. Will do and or say anything to cause drama. It makes it so hard to work. But it is only one person and I love my job so I deal with it.

That has to suck but so glad you love your job anyways!! I hope you have a great summer off! I'm a substitute teacher and love that my summer is free too.

ttistin
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
That has to suck but so glad you love your job anyways!! I hope you have a great summer off! I'm a substitute teacher and love that my summer is free too.

It makes it so nice that I still get a paycheck each month but I can still stay home with the kids during summer break. We would not be able to afford daycare for 3 kids.

Pepsi4me
06-04-2008, 02:48 AM
It makes it so nice that I still get a paycheck each month but I can still stay home with the kids during summer break. We would not be able to afford daycare for 3 kids.

Yup, this is what I like about it also.

Our last day is June 13th but I have to work at an alumni dinner from 3-9 that night...Extra money for me!

marquez8370
06-04-2008, 03:44 AM
i also work at school cafe and i love it and all our ladies are awesome and you are so right teamwork makes the day go faster and it is more fun and YEA SUMMER ROCKS!!!!

Thamlet
06-04-2008, 05:09 AM
i also work at school cafe and i love it and all our ladies are awesome and you are so right teamwork makes the day go faster and it is more fun and YEA SUMMER ROCKS!!!!

The ladies at my daughter's elementary school are so sweet! And you have to put up with alot I know! lol Thanks for all your hard work btw!!

vicky122
06-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I am a cook in a high school. Glad you get more help. Wow how lucky you get your check prorated so you get paid during the summer. Everyone in the school that is 10 month employs here does. The only people that don't is the kitchen staff and buss drivers. We serve 2,000 plus kids and have about 20 people with boss this is cooks, servers ,cashiers and 2 dish washers.

flute
06-04-2008, 05:43 AM

DITTO.

TT: I'm glad to hear your like your job in the school cafeteria. I know the ladies always seem to enjoy it and even before all the rest of the kids come out, they play music & dance & sing - So glad people enjoying their work

ttistin
06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I am a cook in a high school. Glad you get more help. Wow how lucky you get your check prorated so you get paid during the summer. Everyone in the school that is 10 month employs here does. The only people that don't is the kitchen staff and buss drivers. We serve 2,000 plus kids and have about 20 people with boss this is cooks, servers ,cashiers and 2 dish washers.

Yea everyone in the kitchen gets paid 12 months instead of 10. It makes it so nice to not have to worry about coming up with the money to keep health insurance during those couple of months also.
We get a step at the beginning of the fiscal year (in October) so I will be getting more money then. Yea! lol

vicky122
06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Yea everyone in the kitchen gets paid 12 months instead of 10. It makes it so nice to not have to worry about coming up with the money to keep health insurance during those couple of months also.
We get a step at the beginning of the fiscal year (in October) so I will be getting more money then. Yea! lol

I am one of the few full time cooks and I get my insurance during the summer. It is just prorated during the 10 mos we work. So I pay 48.00 every two weeks. We get our raise in Aug and I am off of steps so I don't get as much as someone on steps. But I make pretty good money and have a good job.
I can clean the school in the summer but at a lower pay rate. I have ever year put this year I am taking off.

dcut4
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Another lunch lady here!

I LOVE summer:dancing: just when you think you can't take anymore..whala..21/2 months off!

We get the choice of either 18 or 24 pay periods. I take the 18 as hubby makes more money in the summer and we need it during the winter, thats the ONLY thing I don't like about summers...no paycheck. I do get full insurance year round though and it is all board paid so far.

ilikefree
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow! I didn't realize there were so many cafeteria workers here. I work at our school's cafeteria as a substitute. The last 2 years I worked the last month or 2 of school through the end of the year. It's pretty good pay for being such a fun job. But since I'm only a substitute, obviously I don't get paid 12 months.

Congrats on getting the extra help. I know how hectic it can get.

vicky122
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Another lunch lady here!

I LOVE summer:dancing: just when you think you can't take anymore..whala..21/2 months off!

We get the choice of either 18 or 24 pay periods. I take the 18 as hubby makes more money in the summer and we need it during the winter, thats the ONLY thing I don't like about summers...no paycheck. I do get full insurance year round though and it is all board paid so far.

I wish we had that option for pay. I would do it. I am at a pay rate that my check would still be good.

ttistin
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
We get paid for 12 months but we only get paid once a month. So that is hard but I can count on getting X amount of money on the last day of the month. So I pay our rent and whatever else with it.

I didn't realize that there was so many lunch room workers here. When I tell people I work in a lunch room at a high school they look at me like "oh poor you" but it isn't like that. I love my job, 99% of the kids are great kids. I get paid summers off and great insurance.

Plus I only work 6 hours a day, I drop the kids off at school go to work, get out of work and go pick up kids. No daycare cost at all. I say we lunchroom workers have the best job!

vicky122
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't have kids in school. But it is a good job. I do get paid holidays. What is nice is no holidays so you don't have to worry about being called in if you are off no nights or week ends. Yes getting paid by the month does seem hard but I guess you adjust to it. I am biweekly but d/h is weekly.
I work with al the bad kids but you get use to them.

ttistin
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Yea we have gotten used to me getting paid by the month. Dh gets paid weekly so that helps out.

I also enjoy the not having to worry about working weekends, nights or holidays. If I do have to take a day off I get sick days and personal days.