PDA

View Full Version : Add me to the ranks

flute
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I never thought I'd do this.
I never in a million years.

But you can add me to the ranks of those complaining about the public school system.

I enrolled Isabel into the summer school program at school. (hey $100 is $100 and Isabel wanted to do it, well ok she wanted the $100 lol)

Anyway I went to pick her up from school to be told she's in the Kindergarten program and when I asked why they said I enrolled her in that.
I said "well the form said to write down what grade she was currently in and so I did' I was not aware "current grade" meant "current grade for next school year" ~

dip sticks.
say what you mean. !!!!!!

I bet you I know what they did - I bet that did that because they didn't have her on file last year for K when she should have went because K isn't a requirement legally in the state of MO, and even if I sent her no where next year they'd want her in K this year (because it'd be difficult for the teachers to teach a child starting out in 1st grade who had no prior schooling even though that's the LAW)

I mean we are talking about a school that enrolled her into K w/out my knowledge/consent or desire. Enrolled her, & gave her a teacher too, last year.

OM flippin' lord. I bet they did that thinking they'd be helpful.

They are starting to make me unhappy already & I haven't even enrolled her for next year yet. UGH

Jenefer3
06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry you had unpleasant experience :( I have given up on my son's school and I've withdrawn him from school and will be homeschooling him for awhile, at least until we move..hopefully we'll have a better school in the future.

flute
06-02-2008, 10:10 PM
They think they're helping - quite honestly - they don' thave her on record as having attended K - they enrolled her into K last year without my consent, honestly they think they're helping

They haven' thelped AT ALL lol

But even though they think they're helping they could admit they know what's going on instead of pretending I did all this - I was quite literally shocked to the world whenthey called last year & told me when open house was (or informed me I'd missed it I can't recall) but they told me who isabel's teacher would be too. Uhm I didn't enroll her & i'm not sending her.

and PS I can't sleep I guess that's what a frappe does to me at 10pm???

ladybugva
06-03-2008, 05:16 AM
question... so did she not go to K. and she will be starting school in the summer school program then starting school for the first time, full time, in 1st grade? Just want to be sure I am all caught up. not caffeen yet for me this am so I am not all awake yet.

flute
06-03-2008, 05:20 AM
question... so did she not go to K.

No, she went to K but since she went to a private school they don't have her on records, except for pre-k. (she will not be returning to the private school, that is another vent)
They also have it on record that "I" enrolled her (I did not) and she failed to show up for K. (literally out of the blue last year be4 K started I got a call informing me of who her teacher was) uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To make things worse, her neighbor friend won't play with her because she got stuck in the K class.

ladybugva
06-03-2008, 05:50 AM
oh, ok got it about the K. thing.

I can see how the summer school paper would be confusing it should say "current" yr (like just finish) or date it 08/09 school yr., grade entering, some thing not so confusing.

that's sad about the neighbor kid.

atprm
06-03-2008, 05:53 AM
another reason that makes us thankful we homeschool. :) It's soooooooooo easy!!!

flute
06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Oh I'll take you one step further, this is the school I sub at and this exact building - I got a call 2/3 weeks ago (maybe about amonth ago) to change my sub position for the day - It was changed to ms J - all day.
One person in the entire district takes care of the subs - she is responsible for ALL - the office is NOT to handle this, so they know who is going where & so you don't have 2 people show up for the same position.

I get there & they've already got a sub for Ms J.

They are total fools. I get that things happen but they should not try to make it as if I am irresponsible.

You know Ill be glad Isabel won't be there for a couple more years - as she'll be at BT next year & I know the bt staff reall well and they all love me.

My god people freaki'n SUCK. One more reason I think the world is coming to an end!!

iluvmybaby
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
People DO suck

155oaks
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
sorry about the mess up

did I read correctly that you didn't send her to kindergarten?
can I ask WHY not? in CA it is required and highly promoted to enroll in preschool to have a head start. if it passes in the next few years pre k will be free and available in more school districts for free of charge.

flute
06-04-2008, 04:59 AM
did I read correctly that you didn't send her to kindergarten?
can I ask WHY not? in CA it is required and highly promoted to enroll in preschool to have a head start.

No you didn't read correctly. I did send her to kindergarten and NO it's not a legal requirement in the state of Missouri. (don't like the law....but hey...I don't like many of them lol)

swan0002
06-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Sorry to hear that the system hasn't changed in 20 yrs. I started off w/ problems in first grade with my son. That was back in 1986. They placed him incorrectly and then overcompensated for their mistake. What a headache that was. Then in his junior year of high school I was informed that he needed to go to summer school if he was to graduate on time. They said he had failed 9th grade Math. They are telling me this 2 yrs later??? And I know for a fact he didn't fail 9th grade Math. UGH!! They finally figured out THEIR mistake and I went to the school to get in WRITING exactly what credits he needed to graduate (to avoid future mistakes). Anyway, he did graduate on time, but just barely missed Honors graduation. I wouldn't want to go thru that agian! Thank God I only had one!!!!

ssgjeg
06-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Not all states require kindergarten. Here in Pennsylvania it's not required and it's only half a day. My oldest brother, my step brother and my step sister didn't go but one brother went for half a day. I went for 2 hrs.

My cousin said in North Carolina it is mandatory and all day. I don't agree with the all day kindergarten. I think they are too little to be away from mom for that long. Especially if they are like my kids and really didn't have any contact with other kids until school.

atprm
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Kindergarten is also required in Michigan, and is only 1/2 day as well.

Unless you send your child to a parochial school, then it's still not required -- but highly recommended-- but it is a full day.

flute
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Well In Missouri depending on where you live K is 1/2 day or FULL DAY.
locally, for me, it's full day. I don't know of any schools within 30 minutes of my house that do otherwise.
Local pre k is 1/2 day (and I loved that - I had literally just had Mags & since I took a year off when I had her that worked well for us)

But nephews went for 1/2 day Kindergarten - I think that's why schools can get away with 1/2 day K because it's not a legal requirement.

ahippiechic
06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
It's not a requirement here in AZ either.

I home schooled my DD for K but we found a great school near here, so she's going there now, in 1st grade. If your income is below a certain level, the state will help you pay. They paid about 1/4 for us last year, this year we won't qualify tho.

Lild
06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
K is a full day here (thank God!!)
It is also required.
Pre K is only 1/2 here, if you call it that, it's only 2 hours long..

hblueeyes
06-04-2008, 07:33 AM
K is not required in Illinois. At least it never used to be. I sent my boys to K full day because I felt they needed socialization besides family. I can tell you that they learned nothing in K that they did not already learn at home. All 4 of my boys were reading before entering kindergarten. They had positive experience4s in K, so it helped set the tone for their education experiences to come.

My issue is that they spend way too much time these past few years preparing for tests instead of teaching them how to be independant thinkers. Also it is just as important to know what to ask instead of what the answers are. Think outside the box. This is how we get great minds of tomorrow. But our government is more interested in the "product of education" instead of the students. I believe if you do it right you'll end up with students who will change the world for the better. My boys all were in challenge, gifted and honors programs. My kids would teach the class when they got out of line and the teach said to my oldest, if you know so much then you teach the class. It was Physics and he did a great job, so the teach said to me later in a phone call. My son was always correcting him or asking questions the teach could not answer. better teachers are needed also and the teachers union needs to get on board and do what is best for the students and schools instead of themselves.

I'll stop now or I can fill pages of what our schools, government and families need to do.

Me

155oaks
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
K is not required in Illinois. At least it never used to be. I sent my boys to K full day because I felt they needed socialization besides family. I can tell you that they learned nothing in K that they did not already learn at home. All 4 of my boys were reading before entering kindergarten. They had positive experience4s in K, so it helped set the tone for their education experiences to come.

kindergarten is so much more then just reading.
it is about cutting, finding patterns, learning about books and author's, classroom pets, adding, group play, daily news, weather pattern's, awards. It disgusts me seeing in both my daughters classes previously kids who couldn't hold scissors correctly in 1st and 2nd grade that were new in her class.

hblueeyes
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree that K is more than reading. But the examples you give with the exception of pets and group play, should have been going on at home with the parents and caregivers. It amazes me when these little ones go to K and know nothing. How can that be? Do these parents not talk with their kids or do crafts or spend any time at all with them?

kelblend
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
K is required, but only a half-day here. I didn't send any of my kids to pre-school other than Kdg. None of them had any problems.

flute
06-06-2008, 07:50 AM
It disgusts me seeing in both my daughters classes previously kids who couldn't hold scissors correctly in 1st and 2nd grade that were new in her class.

Well that's the problem with not requiring K. I was given one class about teaching children to read - and that wasn't the main focus of the class. That's the only reason I know K isn't required - the teacher said "Ok, so Kindergarten is not a requirement, so if you are a 1st grade teacher, how do you handle that situation? How Do you teach a child to read & write"

It was one blip in one class that it was mentioned - that was essentially it.