PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Pets Deaths

MERE CHAT
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
There have been several posts lately about this. I'm sure many here have read them. It breaks my heart to read these. PLEASE, keep your dogs in a secure yard. If you have cats and you truly love them, keep them inside. One leap over the fence, hedges etc. can mean instant death on the street. You wouldn't let your kids run free. Protect your pets. Remember to spay and neuter. There are enough ferals roaming the streets!

hotwheelstx
05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
All my pets are inside pets. Toddie and James Dean are the only ones that go outside....to do their business. Otherwise everyone's in the house with someone.

ElleGee
05-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I have 20+ lizards and 1 cat. Peter went outside for the first time yesterday. I was uncomfortable with it.. Once we build a porch over our sun room, Pete will be able to go out doors on the porch and I won't have to worry as much

mrssnoop1
05-30-2008, 06:56 PM
We also keep our cats inside, always. When it's a trip to the vet they go in carriers. They are so good about the carrier that when the vet is done he walks right into the carrier and waits for the other one. When you first carry them to the car (we have 2 brothers from the same litter), the black one will let out a meow that sends chills down your spine.

They are inside cats because when my sister and I were little we had 2 cats. They could not come in. Hers was torn up by a dog. He made it home but died. It's something you don't forget.

They deserve to be safe.

Urban Cowgirl
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Sorry but I believe it has nothing to do with loving your pet. Some cats are completely miserable as housepets....I have one that would tear up the furniture and piss and crap all over everything if she could not go out. She would be so miserable her life probably would not be worth living. She comes and goes as she pleases and I am at peace with the fact that she has had a happy life. I wouldn't stand for an animal ruining my home because they want to be outside so bad.

Comparing how you care for a pet with how you care for your child is ridiculous anyway. Hello.....would you put a fence up place a nice little wooden house out there and leave your kid in it unattended, no, people do that with dogs all the time.

Flame away....

Adra
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I had an inside cat for 18 yrs. He was such a gentle cat , andhe died. My husband and I cried for him.

All the other cats that came here were throwaways and I feed them just to keep them outof the road. Sometimes it just does not work.

If I chose to have another cat it woudl be insde with me. I miss the companionship. At this time my husband is not ready to have another inside pet.

But I do agree if you have a pet try to keep them safe as possible. Sometimes the animals just do not want to be inside so nothing else to do but let them out and let them wander.

sheila_361
05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
my doggies hate to be outside by themselves,and hate to be chained up, they are strictly indoors unless they go out with us.We have a screened in back porch and they lay out there.

Faithfully
05-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I agree.
I keep all my 6 kitties on at all times, and don't any dogs.

ilovecats
05-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry but I believe it has nothing to do with loving your pet. Some cats are completely miserable as housepets....I have one that would tear up the furniture and piss and crap all over everything if she could not go out. She would be so miserable her life probably would not be worth living. She comes and goes as she pleases and I am at peace with the fact that she has had a happy life. I wouldn't stand for an animal ruining my home because they want to be outside so bad.

Comparing how you care for a pet with how you care for your child is ridiculous anyway. Hello.....would you put a fence up place a nice little wooden house out there and leave your kid in it unattended, no, people do that with dogs all the time.

Flame away....

I only keep indoor cats but I am sure the numerous cats I see roaming the neighborhood have a much higher quality of life than mine do.My cats do claw my furniture,ruin my love of plants,etc.I guess my kids would be much safer if I never let them out of the house too,but I guess they wouldn't be too happy with that.

cSoReNSoN
05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree as well. I have three cats, two dogs, three parakeets and two finches that are inside "pets". The dogs go outside for bathrooms purposes, but both are older so puppy pads are provided in the house to supplement their needs. I only leave the dogs unattended outside for a brief time due to their age and subsequent health issues. The dogs will run a bit in the fenced yard or go for rides in their stroller for exercise. A great garage sale find, btw!

I am fortunate that the cats seem to have no desire to venture outdoors. One cat has pushed an unsecured screen door open as I went to get the mail, but he stayed on the porch. My family has spent far too much on vet bills for the animals to be left unsecured outdoors. hehe To be honest these animals are accustomed to a life of luxury indoors, I doubt they'd settle for a subpar life outdoors.

Another cat apparently met its demise at the intersection down the block. Very unfortunate as it (most likely) could have been prevented....

DBackFan
05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I live on a farm..we have BARN CATS. Nature sometimes allows them to get eaten by predators...thats life...sorry. We have them to take care of mice and to feed and pet when we are out doing the animals...nothing more..sorry.

My little dogs are another story but my cats are outdoor cats ONLY

Jolie Rouge
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
The dogs will run a bit in the fenced yard or go for rides in their stroller for exercise. A great garage sale find, btw!

Curious - how is "going for a ride in their stroller" exercise ? Mental picture is a dog riding like a child while someone is pushing it down the road ?

I live in a rural area; my dogs were outside pets and my cat as well. He has a "kitty door" that allows him to come & go as he pleases. He has been fixed so we are not adding to the population of feral cats in our area.

katgirl3
05-30-2008, 09:00 PM
I only keep indoor cats but I am sure the numerous cats I see roaming the neighborhood have a much higher quality of life than mine do.My cats do claw my furniture,ruin my love of plants,etc.I guess my kids would be much safer if I never let them out of the house too,but I guess they wouldn't be too happy with that.

All my animals are indoors. The cats I see roaming around my house definitely do not have a higher quality of life than my indoor cats. I've had to take several of them to the vet. Some had upper respiratory infections. One had feline lukemia. Had to put that one down. We've brought several in who were pregnant. Now have to find homes for the kittens and spay mommas. My indoor cats are not getting hit by cars, torn up by critters and have all the food they can eat. They have toys and giant cat towers to play on. They get pet and loved. They are safe. Outdoor cats having a better quality of life? I don't think so.

And as far as never letting your kids outside. Well that's just ridiculous. It's apples and oranges. You can control what your kids are doing and where they're going. That is... if you're watching them. Cats? Not so simple. Do you let your kids go out to play and just let them roam wherever they want to go? Do whatever they want to do? Cause if you do, I could understand why you would think it's the same as a cat.

cSoReNSoN
05-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Curious - how is "going for a ride in their stroller" exercise ? Mental picture is a dog riding like a child while someone is pushing it down the road ?

I live in a rural area; my dogs were outside pets and my cat as well. He has a "kitty door" that allows him to come & go as he pleases. He has been fixed so we are not adding to the population of feral cats in our area.

My peke, Princess, is approximately 13-years-old and Astro, a beagle/basenji/terrier mix, is approximately 12-years-old. Astro has arthritis and cataracts, so he doesn't feel up to walking for extended distances. Princess is stubborn and will plop down in the middle of the sidewalk, which has occurred from the onset of her entrance into the family.

I should have clarified the exercise for the dogs occurs with the running in the yard. The stroller is more for the convenience of the dogs as they simply ride in it the stroller as I push it. Astro used to accompany me on the walks, while Princess was carried in a doggy version of a Baby Bjorn. I got the stroller for $10 at a yard sale for the purpose of alleviating the strain the dogs suffered from walking extended distances with me. Astro sits in the seat portion, whereas Princess sits in the storage area beneath the seat. hehe I usually get quite the looks when I am seen pushing two dogs in a baby stroller. It allows for me to mix up my normal walking routine, while the dogs can safely venture from the confines of the yard. Each dog has their leash fastened to their collar that I hold in my hand, which prevents them from exiting the stroller. Thankfully, both relax comfortably in their positions as they enjoy the fresh air!

flute
05-30-2008, 09:44 PM
My dog's as secure as she's gonna get.

If you wanna wrastle my 80lb german shephard go ahead - she's been very gentle so far.......
Hopefully if you wrastle with her, she'll still be kind but I ain't makin' any guarentees..

Jolie Rouge
05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
cSoReNSoN - thanks for the clarification; that sounds so sweet.

katgirl3
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
My dog's as secure as she's gonna get.

If you wanna wrastle my 80lb german shephard go ahead - she's been very gentle so far.......
Hopefully if you wrastle with her, she'll still be kind but I ain't makin' any guarentees..

lol

Shann
05-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Any furbaby I'll ever get will be an inside furbaby. I don't see the point in getting an animal just to keep it chained or locked up outside. My babies sleep on my bed, they have free rein of the house and a doggy door that's open 24/7. We buy premium food for them and on occasion I'll make them puppy treats or doggy ice cream along w/ the other goodies we buy from the store. Where I live there is no way they could survive 10 minutes outside, we live next to a busy street and the last thing I want to do is bury my babies b/c they got hit by a car. My dogs may not agree, but they have a pretty lush life :) I've come to the conclusion that I prob won't get another cat and I love love love the purse doggies and there is no way they could survive outside.

ElleGee
05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
My neighbor has an out door cat and she loves being outside.. She will not use an indoor litter box. The cat strolls thru our yard and says hi once in a blue moon but there really isn't anything wrong with having her out doors. I mean don't all animals come from outside and are'/were domesticated? It's part of their nature to hunt, and dig, and roam around marking territory ....

ahippiechic
05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Having cats who live outdoors is better than not having one at all. At least they have someone to feed/love them etc. They are someone's pets.

I feed the feral/strays around here (and have them spayed/neutered when I can catch one) and I'm sure they would be better off if they were someone's pet, even if they lived outside. And I don't think some of them would ever be good 'inside' cats because of the way the were raised. I would love for someone to take them, even if they lived outside it would be better than where they are now.

Hetty
05-31-2008, 08:48 AM
My black lab Deja was inside for the first 6yrs of her life we put her outside for one year.I put her in a kennel and she CHEWED through it now I have a dog with broken K-9 teeth we learned now she is inside only along with the yorkie and the pretty kitty jake.....NO MORE OUTSIDE FOR MY FURBABIES.

katgirl3
05-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Having cats who live outdoors is better than not having one at all. At least they have someone to feed/love them etc. They are someone's pets.

I feed the feral/strays around here (and have them spayed/neutered when I can catch one) and I'm sure they would be better off if they were someone's pet, even if they lived outside. And I don't think some of them would ever be good 'inside' cats because of the way the were raised. I would love for someone to take them, even if they lived outside it would be better than where they are now.

Nope. Too many dangers outside. My brother let his cats roam when he was younger. Two got hit by cars. The one was so screwed up his intestines were in his chest cavity. If it had lived inside, it's intestines would have stayed where they were supposed to be. Both cats died and suffered while they were dying. They took them to the vet but when a little cat is hit by a 2 ton car, not much you can do in most cases.

And whether they make "good inside cats" is irrelevant. If you can keep them in, you should. Now I do think some cats just get outside no matter what you do. They're sneaky little buggers. But an effort should be made to keep them in. I have feral/stray cats too that I feed. And bring in if I can catch them. But once they're caught, they're inside cats.

ahippiechic
05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Nope. Too many dangers outside. My brother let his cats roam when he was younger. Two got hit by cars. The one was so screwed up his intestines were in his chest cavity. If it had lived inside, it's intestines would have stayed where they were supposed to be. Both cats died and suffered while they were dying. They took them to the vet but when a little cat is hit by a 2 ton car, not much you can do in most cases.

And whether they make "good inside cats" is irrelevant. If you can keep them in, you should. Now I do think some cats just get outside no matter what you do. They're sneaky little buggers. But an effort should be made to keep them in. I have feral/stray cats too that I feed. And bring in if I can catch them. But once they're caught, they're inside cats.

Well, having 50+ cats in my apt is kind of out of the question. So if someone wants to adopt them and have them live outside (such as on a farm or out in the country) that is still MUCH better than them roaming around here beside the freeway. We have a lady with a farm that adopts from us on regular basis and I love go visit. She takes very good care of the cats, they are loved, well-fed and cared for.

flute
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Any furbaby I'll ever get will be an inside furbaby. I don't see the point in getting an animal just to keep it chained or locked up outside.

We kept sammy inside when she was younger. That dog will eat or chew up ANYTHING, charcoal, our deck, wooden plate holders. -
Yes, she chewed through our wooden lattice work on the deck.

To those who can keep big dogs in the house more power to you!
Our kitty is inside though. She doesn't have front claws so we keep her in. (even when she DID have front claws she was still inside)

I think Sammy's OK. I run milk jugs of frozen water out to her in the summer, to help keep her water cold (personally I can't stand hot water myself)
We let her out to run in the yard & I walk her too.

katgirl3
06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, having 50+ cats in my apt is kind of out of the question. So if someone wants to adopt them and have them live outside (such as on a farm or out in the country) that is still MUCH better than them roaming around here beside the freeway. We have a lady with a farm that adopts from us on regular basis and I love go visit. She takes very good care of the cats, they are loved, well-fed and cared for.

I guess living on a farm could be okay. Unless some critter comes along and tries to eat them. Or they get in the road and a truck hits them. And couldn't you take the ones that you can catch, but not find homes for, to a shelter. Wouldn't that be better than running around a freeway? I live in the country. But my cats don't go outside. Because it's not safe.

Urban Cowgirl
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I guess living on a farm could be okay. Unless some critter comes along and tries to eat them. Or they get in the road and a truck hits them. And couldn't you take the ones that you can catch, but not find homes for, to a shelter. Wouldn't that be better than running around a freeway? I live in the country. But my cats don't go outside. Because it's not safe.

a lot of those cats are probably feral......not easily adoptable and most shelters would put them down. Being in a cage would be torture for a feral cat, even if you could find a shelter to take them.

I used to trap tham to spay or neuter and then I'd have to release them.

Thamlet
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
a lot of those cats are probably feral......not easily adoptable and most shelters would put them down. Being in a cage would be torture for a feral cat, even if you could find a shelter to take them.

Exactly. My Dad lives in the country, thank goodness, and has many feral cats that he cares for on his property. He feeds them and traps them for vet visits, etc and always has them spayed/neutered, names them. However, 99.9% of those cats will rip your face to shreds if given the chance. They are just beyond wild. A few have seemed to warm up to him in their own way but are soooo far from being able to be a pet in someone's home. BUT, they are content and happy and taken care of. At least they are fed and have a cozy barn to sleep inside. He has an inside ONLY cat that he rescued from the shelter.

ahippiechic
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM

They get ripped to shreds by dogs & coyotes too, in some places here. And people hurt them too. The only places that will take most of these cats are the shelters where they will be euthanized if not not adopted within a certain time period. But it's hard to get them to come pick up a cat unless it is injured. When you take one to them, sometimes they still won't take it. The no-kill shelter I work at is almost always at capacity. We still have some of the animals that came from Tuscon when they took those 400+ animals from a home. So I try and take care of them as best I can until I can a home for them.

And yes, some of the feral ones are very aggressive!

Jolie Rouge
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.bigbigforums.com/news-information/585616-kids-open-lemonade-stand-help-cat-get-surgery.html#post95899244

Pepsi4me
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Cats are animals & were domesticated by humans. They are naturally out door animals.

On the other hand the argument could be that those who keep cats inside could be hindering their natural instinct/natural habitat.

katgirl3
06-02-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree with you about the feral cats. They are wild animals. I've caught several in my live trap, had them fixed and released. I'm talking about cats who have a home but aren't kept in it. Of course they'd love to play outside. But they are cats. They don't know the dangers out there. It's our job to protect them.

katgirl3
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
They get ripped to shreds by dogs & coyotes too, in some places here. And people hurt them too. The only places that will take most of these cats are the shelters where they will be euthanized if not not adopted within a certain time period. But it's hard to get them to come pick up a cat unless it is injured. When you take one to them, sometimes they still won't take it. The no-kill shelter I work at is almost always at capacity. We still have some of the animals that came from Tuscon when they took those 400+ animals from a home. So I try and take care of them as best I can until I can a home for them.

And yes, some of the feral ones are very aggressive!

There are some things worse than getting a needle. Like getting tore up by dogs and coyotes. Or hurt by people.

katgirl3
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Cats are animals & were domesticated by humans. They are naturally out door animals.

On the other hand the argument could be that those who keep cats inside could be hindering their natural instinct/natural habitat.

That's the most ridiculous argument anyone has made yet. But if it helps you sleep at night. BTW...Do you live outside? I'll bet you don't.

Dogs were domesticated by humans,too. Should we let them roam also? Hey, let's just take all of our housepets and let them roam free. You know how many dead animals you'd see on the side of the road then? Gimme a break.

jedmatters
06-03-2008, 02:45 AM
2 indoor cats (both fixed)
2 outdoor dogs (again: both fixed).
All see the vet as needed and once a year check ups and shots.

My dogs come in when it it bad weather: extreme heat or heavy rain or extreme cold (seldom here). I have a dauschund and a rott/lab mix. The dauschund hates to be inside. The rott/lab is a bit hyper for indoors. Yes, I have a fenced yard, and they get walks on leashes. I also provide water (1 bag of ice a day in the summer is added), and they have a wading pool to play in. I also put the sprinkler on a lot for them to play in when it is hot. We spend time outside with them, and they have 2 houses, and a covered patio to get shade. Mostly, they sleep under the patio table. They eat well: and get all the attention a pet could want. They just can not be inside. Peekaboo hates it, and whines at the door the entire time (even in bad weather). Essence is a ball of energy (even at 2 years old). And, a bouncy 95 pound hairy licking machine is best outside!
My pets deserve happiness: and being outside makes my dogs happy.

Pepsi4me
06-03-2008, 03:29 AM
That's the most ridiculous argument anyone has made yet. But if it helps you sleep at night. BTW...Do you live outside? I'll bet you don't.

Dogs were domesticated by humans,too. Should we let them roam also? Hey, let's just take all of our housepets and let them roam free. You know how many dead animals you'd see on the side of the road then? Gimme a break.

It's how animals started out & what they are/what they know.

If that's ridiculous then do some reading.

It's cruel to have a cat or dog cooped up in a house all the time. They need fresh air & room to run/play.

My dog roams all over our land without getting out because we invested in an underground fence. Our cat we let out but he is out for only 3 times a day for 30-60 mins just like the dog. They live a wondeful life being able to sleep inside,getting lots of love with some outside time.

tngirl
06-03-2008, 04:37 AM

Comparing an animal to a human is what is ridiculous. We are the ones that humanize animals. They are just that, animals. I love ALL of my pets, but when it comes down to it...they are just an animal no matter how much I humanize them. They live by instinct and no matter how domesticated they are the wildside is still there. Hard to believe that an itty bitty Yorkie is actually related to the wolf, ain't it?

cabby92
06-03-2008, 05:07 AM
2 indoor cats (both fixed)
2 outdoor dogs (again: both fixed).
All see the vet as needed and once a year check ups and shots.

I think that is key - spay/neuter and get proper vet care, even for outside animals. Anything else is irresponsible.

ElleGee
06-03-2008, 06:26 AM

Your ideology is quite flawed since animal instincts are stronger that the humans will to keep them indoors.. Some animals (ie dogs cats) don't mind staying in. Others do.

In the beginning, humans did live outside until we domesticated ourselves *snik
The knowledge on how to build shelter etc didn't come until later.

People who live in houses do get hit by cars and attacked by animals every single day.. Should we keep ourselves in the house as well?..

Saying that you should keep your pets in is preposterous..

jonette5
06-03-2008, 06:40 AM
I think all family pets should basically be indoor animals. Yes, you can let your dog out on a leash or into a fully fenced yard to do their business, or to be outside with you while you are out. If you have a cat and you want to let them out, then I say put them on a leash, a fence won't hold them. IMO if you have a dog or cat that is tearing up your home and going potty everywhere in the house, then there is something wrong with that animal and it needs to be put down (I am not talking about normal puppy or kitten behavior). If you live in the "country" and you let your animals roam then please expect them to come into some type of harms way. They may get run over, bitten by snakes, eaten by coyotes etc. My opinion is if you let your animal out of your house without properly restraining it (fence or leash or both in some cases) and something happens to it, then don't come crying about it. It could have been avoided.

flute
06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
IMO if you have a dog or cat that is tearing up your home and going potty everywhere in the house, then there is something wrong with that animal and it needs to be put down (I am not talking about normal puppy or kitten behavior).

Boy howdy I hope that wasn't directed at me.

I quite honestly don't know if sammy would chew up things lately - she was rather young when she did all her tearing up - now she does 'play bite' our feet when we're in the backyard at times. ONLY the adults she doesn't touch our kids. (if we felt she was beginning to get aggressive/moody we wouldn't let her out with the kids)

We keep sammy penned now - but we do let her run loose. She can jump our fence so leaving her in the yard isn't an option.

Thought I'd explain - :)

Pepsi4me
06-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Comparing an animal to a human is what is ridiculous. We are the ones that humanize animals. They are just that, animals. I love ALL of my pets, but when it comes down to it...they are just an animal no matter how much I humanize them. They live by instinct and no matter how domesticated they are the wildside is still there. Hard to believe that an itty bitty Yorkie is actually related to the wolf, ain't it?

:yeah :yeah :yeah

Vee030473
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM

You are so right tngirl. It is one thing for them to be domesticated,but it is so wrong for us to humanize them and try to attribute human qualities to an animal. I love my animals dearly and I believe they have souls and think of them as my kids but I do know the difference! You can not take thousands of years of instinct from an animal no matter how much you love them and put cute clothes on them LOL

callsheb
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Our cats are outdoor they are mom and daughter they have both been fixed and have a cat house to go in to. But they dont leave our yard we live in the country and have 3 acres they have plenty to keep them busy with all the rabbits in the back yard. I can't have any indoor cats anymore as i am allergic to them but we go out and sit pet and show them attention we use to have the daddy also but he has disappeared that is nature specially when you live in the country and have foxes and coyotes around. But my guys know when it is night time to get in their house. Now shhhhhhh don't tell dh but winter time when we have ice and really cold i let them in and let them sleep till time for dh to come home then they have to go back out.

sunniekiss
06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Interesting...why is it cruel for em to keep my 2 cats indoors? They were born to a feral mother who was killed by a wild animal when they were 2-3 weeks old. I bottle fed these 2 "fur-muffins" every 3 hours for 3 weeks.

They live in a warm, dry & safe home during the cold winter months and a cool, dry & safe home during the summer months. They have a fresh supply of food & water, cat treats & toys, a clean liter box & a place that is SAFE for them. They won't meet the same fate as their mother did. They get tons of hugs, kisses & petting.

Now that it is warm outside, as soon as I come home from work I take them outside with me on my upstairs deck. I leave my patio door open a bit so they can go inside when they want.

I think they are quite content with their living situation.

JKATHERINE
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM

Flame away....

Same here. I grew up with cats and have two of them now. I love them, but believe they should be free to enjoy life as they see fit. If they wanted to stay in all day long, they'd be welcome to, but they don't. They want to come and go, chase mice and butterflies in the field and then lounge on their cat bed when they get tired. I have had a cat get hit by a car since living here. It was when I was pregnant with A v e r y and it was heartbreaking. Nonetheless, I still let my cats do as they please. There's no way I'm confining them indoors when their instinct tells them they belong outside, too.

katgirl3
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
It's how animals started out & what they are/what they know.

If that's ridiculous then do some reading.

It's cruel to have a cat or dog cooped up in a house all the time. They need fresh air & room to run/play.

My dog roams all over our land without getting out because we invested in an underground fence. Our cat we let out but he is out for only 3 times a day for 30-60 mins just like the dog. They live a wondeful life being able to sleep inside,getting lots of love with some outside time.

I'll say it again. Let's all take our housepets and chuck them outside. Cause I wouldn't want to hinder any of their natural instincts. I guess I should let my parakeets go, by your standards. lol My dogs go out. I have a huge fenced in yard. My cats do not. Because they can't be contained and I want them safe. If you bothered to read and comprehend my previous posts, you would know I'm talking about people who just let there animals roam. No yard. They can go wherever they want. Like you do with your cat. It's not safe no matter what you say.

And btw.....bite me.

Pepsi4me
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I'll say it again. Let's all take our housepets and chuck them outside. Cause I wouldn't want to hinder any of their natural instincts. I guess I should let my parakeets go, by your standards. lol My dogs go out. I have a huge fenced in yard. My cats do not. Because they can't be contained and I want them safe. If you bothered to read and comprehend my previous posts, you would know I'm talking about people who just let there animals roam. No yard. They can go wherever they want. Like you do with your cat. It's not safe no matter what you say.

And btw.....bite me.

What is this 4th grade with the bite me?

Yeah it is safe because my cat doesnt go near the major road & he's not out all day. If you read my post you would see that. He's out about 3 times a day for 30 min each time.

Go work for peta!

jonette5
06-05-2008, 06:35 AM
What is this 4th grade with the bite me?

Yeah it is safe because my cat doesnt go near the major road & he's not out all day. If you read my post you would see that. He's out about 3 times a day for 30 min each time.

Go work for peta!

Excuse me.....but I believe she has every right to say bite me. We all learned when I replied to a post about a dead cat, that being told to "bite me" is perfectly fine, not an attack or childish according to the mob and the mods!

Also if you let your cat out, and he does wander off to the major road, please don't come here crying and blaming some driver because your cat got run over. Only person to blame is yourself for not taking proper care of your pet and making sure they are safe at all times.

ElleGee
06-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Good effin grief already.............

Vee030473
06-05-2008, 07:53 AM

Yea what she said

dv8grl
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
There is a great documentary on the History Channel called LIFE AFTER PEOPLE http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=57577&display_order=4&mini_id=57517
It goes on to explain ( and show on the website., click on each animal) that without humans most smaller dogs would die within a week.

Small Dogs - Bred over hundreds of years to be smaller, easier to care for and to require less food and exercise, small breeds of dogs, like the ever-popular chihuahuas, Yorkshire terriers and pugs, will have difficulty staying alive after the demise of their owners. Although they can be highly intelligent, these small dogs have short legs and little strength or endurance, which will make it difficult for them to compete for food-if they can even make it out of the house, the first test of their survival. The smallest dogs probably won’t last a week without humans.

SO I guess the theory that all aminals would be fine in the wild has been dis-proven.

Point also being that most cats would have absolutely no problem without humans.

Cats - Indoor cats will need to get outside to survive, as after munching on leftover food and drinking melt water from freezers, they will soon run out of provisions. Once outside, cats have a great chance at survival. Because they have generally retained their independent natures and are natural hunters, they will quite easily return to the wild and provide for themselves by hunting birds and rodents. They will, however, have to watch out once predators, such as bobcats, coyotes and wolves, move back into abandoned human neighborhoods.

Pepsi4me
06-05-2008, 11:37 AM

:yeah

Small dogs would die cause most are treated like babies & dont even have to walk by themselves cause they are carried everywhere.

Thamlet
06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Small dogs would die cause most are treated like babies & dont even have to walk by themselves cause they are carried everywhere.

Great point to not let them outdoors unless on a leash or in a secure area.

Pepsi4me
06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Great point to not let them outdoors unless on a leash or in a secure area.

I agree! Little dogs cannot defend themselves. They are more for show & to be treated as babies.

ahippiechic
06-05-2008, 12:08 PM
:yeah

Them being carried everywhere wouldn't be the problem. Most small, flat-faced breeds are man-made, they didn't evolve that way. Some of them can't even eat meat off a bone.

msginna
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I had outdoor cats as well growing up and they became road kill. we had a pet cemetery in our back yard. It was tramatizing for us kids. The only thing I learned was that I was going to have indoor cats when I grew up. I love cats and I love them alive. Yes I do have a cat that obviosly was let out before I had her and I deal with that and I hunt her down and I bring her in. I want her to live a long life! We care enough about her to make sure she lives a long life!!!! even if it means hunting her down after we opened the door and she splits to get her. I love her that much. I change the littler of 3 cats almost every day because I love them that much. They are happy healthy cats. They have no bugs on them and they play. They do not have to be outside, period.

earnhardt1
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
we have had an outdoor cat for 11 years and she is still doing great

Pepsi4me
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Many people have outdoor cats that come in at night & they live to be 16 yrs old or more who have a happy long life.

SLance68
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Many people have outdoor cats that come in at night & they live to be 16 yrs old or more who have a happy long life.

My cat was as I called him a indoor/outdoor cat lived to be 17. He would come in first thing in the morning and would say in until it was dark outside and he wanted out then. He would NOT use a litter box. I tried to make him a indoor only cat but I figured it was easier to have him be a indoor/outdoor cat than to explode since he wouldn't use a litter box. He would also scratch at the door go get in the house and meow to go outside - yes he had me trained pretty good.

earnhardt1
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM

the one we have we found outdoors so it never wanted to be indoors but when we found it the kitty wasnt being fed....

Mom2Shaun
06-06-2008, 12:40 AM
My take on this is that everyone should just treat their animals they way the think best, according to what they think is kindest, and leave everyone else alone! Why do some people think they know everything and feel they have to make sure everyone else agrees with them or follows their standards? :slapping :argue :bird:

It's not as if either side is advocating torturing animals! Both points of view have vaild points to them, so why can't we leave it at that? :stupid:

msginna
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Sure you don't have to agree to keep your pet safe and sound...Their is no valid point on letting you animal wonder and potentialy getting hurt by car or other animal. And there is no one to blame but you if that animal does get hurt as cruel as that may sound. Just ask me as i had to watch my parents burry countless kitties when I was young because they thought oh the cats knew not to go by the road and normally years later they would get smushed, some as kittens did not not know better. All an all it came down to my parents having outside cats, and YES we had one that lasted a long time SO WHAT we still had a pet cemetery and it was all their fault. as it is anyone who lets out their animals to roam freely given WHATEVER excuse period.

ilovecats
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Maybe we should also bring all the other wild animals that live outside into our homes then.I feel bad when I see roadkill,Do you protect every animal you see?I bet you don't bring every squirrel,raccoon,skunk,etc. inside,so I guess that it is YOUR fault if they get killed.

msginna
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
other wild animals? cats and dogs are wild animals? We aren't talking about the dinasaur ages are we? Cause if we are we should let the birds free too. The fish too, aquariums are just too small. Let them all roam freeeeeeeeeee

katgirl3
06-15-2008, 10:45 PM

So we've been feeding this momma cat who got dumped. We've been trying to catch her kittens so we could bring them and momma inside where they'd be safe. Today, I found momma on the side of the road dead. Hit by a car. So now I've got kittens outside I'm having a heck of a time trying to catch with no momma. They're only about 5 weeks old. But thanks goodness momma's natural instincts weren't being hindered. Just think, she'd still be alive. Hopefully I can get the babies before something happens to them.

chazsgirl
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
I love cats and i believe that they should get some fresh air every once in a while but I don't think they should roam around. My dad used to put a little leash and cooloar on our cat and walk her around the yard, he'd let her sit in the grass and have fun scraching her back on the concrete but then he would bring her back in. She got out 1 time and she never tried to run off the property after that, she knew her boundries.anyway I think we would never all agree on whether to lock them in a house or set them free, but I can tell you this, Baby Bubb never brought us home any dead presents!