PDA

View Full Version : Do you put flowers on graves during the Memorial Day holiday weekend ?

Char
05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm just wondering. I do for my dad, and have every year since 1996. He's the only one though, except for a few other relatives graves I have on occasion. I don't actually do it 'for' Memorial Day, it's just the perfect time.

I wonder because DH's family never put flowers on any graves. HD's Grandma passed away about 9 months ago, and, no one did any flowers. I think I'll be putting some on their myself.

Being a floral designer, I do my own, and that does make it easier.

lucimPI
05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I do for my mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather and for DH's father, grandmother and Uncle. In fact I keep flowers on the graves year round, different ones for different seasons. I don't do real flowers because it is just a hassle trying to keep them watered, I just do the silk ones.

Char
05-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Yea, I do everything in 'forever silks', and, I hot glue them so they don't blow away, fall off etc... I do bunches otherwise, that I get paid for.

My Dad's is the only one I do regularly. My Mom is still living, and, the children of my grandparents are still living and most of them do those graves.

diana_circe
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
We go to my dad's grave on his birthday, and weather premitting, Christmas. Those were his favorite two days a year. Both being holidays, he was born on Groundhog's Day :)

littlered1
05-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I do it for my brothers and sisters. And I also go out every week or so in the summer and water the flowers and weed a few other graves of family members.

hotwheelstx
05-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Yes I do for my mother. I go at least once a week or more. My birthday is Memorial Day weekend.....always a BIG DAY FOR HER. I'll be going out there today and probably tomorrow.

Jackie_Blu
05-25-2008, 06:06 AM
I really wish I could, my parents graves are in Iowa and Im in Wy. My brother lives there, so he stores and puts out silk arrangements for me, which I really appreciate. When the arrangement starts getting a little worn or tired, I send a new one, or send him the money to get a new one there. Dh's parents graves are in Oregon and we have no one there to do it for us.

sheila_361
05-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I wish I could for my mom's but her ashes are buried in Germany right next to her sister, so my cousin puts flowers on them regularly. The cemetaries over in Germany are so much nicer anyways, they look like parks and aren't as gloomy looking like here in the states.

Njean31
05-25-2008, 08:15 AM
my mom just passed away in sept and we put fall silk flowers in her vase. we just went on mother's day and changed them to spring flowers. i think that's what we will do, change them out in fall and spring and then put real ones on mother's day, her birthday, Easter, and Christmas.

buglebe
05-25-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't but my sister does. I live in the city with my parent's graves and I go out there occassionally. I don't feel they are there. I do feel some closeness to them there though but my sister feels they are there and goes there and sometimes talks to them. I wish I could feel this. I can close my eyes anywhere and feel close to them. That is rambling off the subject though. My sister does not live in this city so she does it when she comes to visit her son who lives here. When I see the flowers in the cemetaries I do think they look nice sometimes but I just find the flowers in their wilted, blown over stages they go through sadder than having none. So no I don't. I have taken one flower out before to lay on the graves. People also steal the flowers and that is a waste too.

maranatha4
05-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes, I took them this morning for my Dad,Mom and brother.

April78945
05-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I put flowers on my grandfather grave at the National cemetary on memorial Day and Veterans day and on his birthday. I don't know if we are supposed to but noone has yelled at me yet. I don't even care if they come and take them down as soon as I leave..it's for me and him.
On Memorial Day I do try to visit my husband's reletives that have passed, even though he doesn't go or even know where they are buried, and leave some flowers or just say "hi"

Char
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
People also steal the flowers and that is a waste too.

True story: My ex is a heavy equipment operator, and he worked for a company that owned three huge cemeteries here... he and other workers would watch someone take new, clean flowers that someone had just placed recently, take them off a stone, and carry them to another stone and put them on ! They would steal them right in front of them ! I can't even imagine.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't know if any of you are interested, but, there is a website that you can post 'online graves/memorials', and even add flowers, people can stop by and leave a note/flowers etc... and (here is the best part), there are TONS of volunteers that you can request a picture of a grave stone from any cemetery in any state. So, even if you can't visit a grave locally, you can have a pic of the stone, and, an actual 'memorial' to your deceased loved ones.

I am a volunteer for them, a friend who has volunteered for years got me into it... it's FIND A GRAVE (http://www.findagrave.com/)

I thought it was kind of morbid at first, but, now that I understand what it's about, it's awesome... my Dad has a memorial there too.

MERE CHAT
05-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, at all 4 of my grandparent's grave sites and also at several other family members.

chazsgirl
05-25-2008, 06:48 PM
my husband, children and I put flowers on my fathers grave all the time!. Not just for holidays, we go see him so much! The kids like to go visit "grandpa's garden" that's what we call it. if we pass the cemetary when we go shopping we all wave and say hi and bye to grandpa when we can't stop in. I miss my father so very much that I need to be close to him as much as I can!

MsLynn
05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
we do it on mothers day here

Char
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
my husband, children and I put flowers on my fathers grave all the time!. Not just for holidays, we go see him so much! The kids like to go visit "grandpa's garden" that's what we call it. if we pass the cemetary when we go shopping we all wave and say hi and bye to grandpa when we can't stop in. I miss my father so very much that I need to be close to him as much as I can!

That is soooooooooo cool !!! Just reading that gave me goose bumps ! :D That is just awesome.

My Dad was my very bestest buddy... I miss him more than anything. He died in November 1996, and it still feels like yesterday.

MsLynn
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
my kids love going to the cemetary, they used to HAVE to go to the cemetary anytime we were even close to it..

MsLynn
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Don't know if any of you are interested, but, there is a website that you can post 'online graves/memorials', and even add flowers, people can stop by and leave a note/flowers etc... and (here is the best part), there are TONS of volunteers that you can request a picture of a grave stone from any cemetery in any state. So, even if you can't visit a grave locally, you can have a pic of the stone, and, an actual 'memorial' to your deceased loved ones.

I am a volunteer for them, a friend who has volunteered for years got me into it... it's FIND A GRAVE (http://www.findagrave.com/)

I thought it was kind of morbid at first, but, now that I understand what it's about, it's awesome... my Dad has a memorial there too.

I'm addicted to Last-memories.com...and memory-of.com .... everyone i work with thinks i'm weird

nightrider127
05-25-2008, 08:03 PM
We only take flowers to one cematary on Memorial Day. The graves we visit for the most part are down home. We'll take flowers to those graves when we go down home for vacation in July. I could get some family members to take flowers for me but I prefer to pick the flowers out myself.

jcw
05-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I'll be taking some to my daughter tomorrow

Char
05-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I'll be taking some to my daughter tomorrow

Hope you do ok... I'm so sorry you have to do that. Bless your heart.

tracyb
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
yes we do flowers on some here...we havent went yet this yr so I need to get on the move and get them...just sad going with the ones that just recently went on to be with God

Shann
05-26-2008, 04:03 PM
my family is 1600 miles away, so no I don't

Urban Cowgirl
05-26-2008, 04:59 PM
We do have some that we plant real ones on. But I don't do thefake ones. I don't like the idea that they fade so quick and then end up in a land fill...so nope!

twinkiesmom
05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
My grandma always was the one to do the gravesites w/flowers, she's been out of commission the last 3yrs so I've taken the task over. Great Gram n Gramps, my grandpa and my granny's second hubby I do flowers for. Got all 3 arrangements out there today.

stetne
05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
When my grandma was alive she put flowers out on everyone's grave and my mom would help. Now that my grandma has died, my mom has taken over the job. She makes wreaths and grave blankets and all kinds of other things for the graves. We go to the cemetery and then also to the site where my dad died and do flowers there too. For about a month before Memorial Day her whole living room is covered in arrangements and loose flowers. She keeps telling me that once she dies it's going to be my job.