PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone take an earthquate in US seriously?

buglebe
05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Does anyone take it seriously that we could have an earthquake like some of the other countries have had? I think our worst one was in California when the interstates were broken and cars fell. But that compared to the more recent ones in other countries was not considered a big one. Does anyone take it seriously that we could have a big one like that?

Renrut
05-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess i just don't think about it.

Adra
05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I do think about it -and hurricanes and tornadoes and floods and tsunamis and snakes and spiders and terrorists and people with guns.

I worry about my grandchildren and drugs and their future.

Things seem to be happening more and more, and faster and faster, like a snowball rolling downhill.

There is an earthquake fault on the east coast. There was a small quake several years ago, and before that it was felt in the late 1800's. My granddad told me about all or them running outside and lying down on the ground.

flute
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I think about it cus we don't have insurance EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEk
I'm askeered

PrincessArky
05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
yep I take it all very serious.......the weather gets more violent every year....I just think it time for us to see the world cant go on like this forever

flute
05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
..I just think it time for us to see the world cant go on like this forever

yup I agree

sandooch
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I think our worst one was in California when the interstates were broken and cars fell. But that compared to the more recent ones in other countries was not considered a big one.

That was in San Fransisco and was a 7.0. I remember seeing that on tv and crying. It was during the World Series.

I constantly think about the next big quake. Living in California, you can't help but think about them. I remember the Whittier quake on October 1, 1987 (my mom's birthday) and the northridge quake on January 17, 1994 like it was yesterday. Those were only a 6.0 and 6.7 respectively, but it scared the bajeebers out of me and seemed to last forever. I can't even imagine what a 7.0, much less anything bigger than that, would feel like. Most people think it's just a little bigger of a shake than a 6.0, but that is soooo wrong.

I know that no matter where you live you will be faced with some sort of natural disaster. It just stinks that there are no predictions to an earthquake. I do my best to stay away from tall buildings and hate driving over or under huge bridges, but you have to live your life. I just pray that my family and I are all together, hopefully at home, when the big one does hit and that it does not happen during the work week when everyone will be on the freeway or in tall buildings in LA.

diana_circe
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't live in an area where earthquakes are common. But I do worry about tornadoes. I'm not scared one would blow our house away, insurance would cover that, but I worry that Mike or one of the kids or the cats and frogs would get hurt. And I also worry that we'd have to go down in the basement if one really headed our way and its spider haven down there. ICK!

evrita
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Why sit around worrying about what could happen because that is only going to make things worse for you in the long run. We are only here on this earth on borrowed time each and every one of us so live it to the fullest and like it is going to be your last and you will have no regrets.

Bliss
05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
There's no reason to worry about things you have no control over.

sandooch
05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions to stay away from high-rise buildings and not drive on long bridges if at all possible. I realize that some people have no choice because they work in them or have to drive long bridges. I guess I've always been overly cautious of being in or near either of these 2 structures, but having been in a few big earthquakes in the last 21 years makes you a bit more fearful of these structures.

LiveFree
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Does anyone take it seriously that we could have an earthquake like some of the other countries have had? I think our worst one was in California when the interstates were broken and cars fell. But that compared to the more recent ones in other countries was not considered a big one. Does anyone take it seriously that we could have a big one like that?

I would take it seriously. The question is not "if" but "when" it will happen, far more devastating than what recently happened in Asia. And since Mother Earth seems active lately...

Mom2Shaun
05-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I live in S. Calif., and yes, I'm concerned. But I have "earthquake stores" of food, water and other items (crowbar, masks, gloves) ready if I should need them. (I keep them in a large trash barrel with wheels, so that I can just walk away with it if necessary.)

I've also anchored large items of furniture so that they can't topple over on us. I've got earthquake wax or velcro to hold down my TVs, VCR's and DVD player. (Ooops, better put some under my computer!) I don't have our beds under any windows, and my bookcases are packed tightly so that books don't fly out and hit us. My DS11 is trained what to do if there's an earthquake while he's in bed. (Roll down to the floor and lie as close as possible to the bed; most things that fall down will end up leaving a space open next to the bed.) My house is well-constructed, my family has a person we can check in with outside of our area, and I have a good 1st aid kit. I figure I've done everything I can, so I won't waste time worrying.

My friends, who aren't prepared, say they're coming to my house when the Big One strikes. I just laugh and say great, we can eat them if necessary!

Sandy, I'm also nervous about bridges. I just hate it when freeway traffic stops and you're stuck under one. After earthquakes, people usually stop before they get to the bridge and scoot thru when the traffic has cleared a bit. But they all seem to forget (and get annoyed if you do this) after a while. Let's start a trend of doing this again; I have no desire to be squashed under a bridge! And I don't like going in big buildings or multi-level parking lots for this very reason!

cpbaby
05-22-2008, 06:20 AM
I live in Western KY rght over the New Madrid Fault(a big contributor to the Mammoth and lesser Cave systems). Yeah, its coming and all these coal mines around here wont help matters a bit, BUT, thats how it goes. I would rather live here than anywhere else and when a devestating earthquake hits(AND IT WILL), I will pick up, dust off and start over.