PDA

View Full Version : What a day I had... :(

Army-Mom
05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
we left to go to Police station this morning and all was fine till they rang the bell and called Mikes name out and cut the black balloon to fly to heaven ...I started crying and started to confort Dee (Mikes wife) and the cameras all FIVE of them stayed on me and her the rest of the time. So guess I will be plasted all over the news tonight up that way..they flew his hellicopter over the place , well it was the one he was suppose to start flying in two weeks..
They had a big fish fry afterwards and it was really good, but I didnt really feel like eating after all of that. It is something they will do every year for him and they other officers that lost their life while working at that department, they handed us each a beauiful rose with a red ribbon. I just hate to be in the public eye like that like a fish in a bowl for everyone to sit and watch as they have us in separate setting than rest of people..and all of those tv stations and newspapers are like buzzards..I couldnt even take good pictures of the man playing the bagpipes for the tv crew..besides that it was really nice.

4diego
05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Your in my families prayers. I know how awful it is to have cameras stuck in your face, it makes it even worse. But getting the story out is a good thing, even though I wish they wouldn't "pimp" the family the way they do. God bless your family.

earnhardt1
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
aww sweety im so sorry but that sounds like a really nice day they dedicated to him

sandooch
05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I know that must have been rough. You are all in my prayers.

BeanieLuvR
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
:hug

iluvmybaby
05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
we left to go to Police station this morning and all was fine till they rang the bell and called Mikes name out and cut the black balloon to fly to heaven ...I started crying and started to confort Dee (Mikes wife) and the cameras all FIVE of them stayed on me and her the rest of the time. So guess I will be plasted all over the news tonight up that way..they flew his hellicopter over the place , well it was the one he was suppose to start flying in two weeks..
They had a big fish fry afterwards and it was really good, but I didnt really feel like eating after all of that. It is something they will do every year for him and they other officers that lost their life while working at that department, they handed us each a beauiful rose with a red ribbon. I just hate to be in the public eye like that like a fish in a bowl for everyone to sit and watch as they have us in separate setting than rest of people..and all of those tv stations and newspapers are like buzzards..I couldnt even take good pictures of the man playing the bagpipes for the tv crew..besides that it was really nice.

How wonderful that your son was honored in such a meaningful way, you must be so proud of him, as Dee must be. I am so sorry for your loss, but it sounds like he had a lot of people that liked, respected, and thought highly of him. My grandmother always says: It isn't the amount of time you spend on the earth, it is what you do with the time that you have. God Bless you and your family, you will be in my prayers. I send my love to your family.

ElleGee
05-20-2008, 05:49 PM
On May 9th we added an extra candle for your brother. My 11 yr old asked why we had an extra candle and I said it was for Deputy Mike. I gave him a quick story on what happened and he said we have to add an extra candle for Sheriff Mike every year now. I reminded him that he was a Deputy and he said "Come on mom, God made him a sheriff in Heaven"

I was quite proud of him even though I am not a Christian...

Jackie_Blu
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
:hug You are still and will remain in my prayers. I know losing your brother so tragically has been so very hard for you, and I keep praying for the pain to ease, at least a bit, for you and your family :hug

taz69
05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Hugs and prayers to you and your family

dv8grl
05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

ttistin
05-20-2008, 08:34 PM

jcw
05-20-2008, 09:32 PM

PrincessArky
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
still saying prayers for you and your family

Army-Mom
05-21-2008, 02:22 AM
thank you for your prayers, I am feeling better this morning. I have done good this year and only went to one..they have had like five already and have about three more services to go..but a dear friend told me I didnt have to go to all to prove my love for my brother and he would understand..

Army-Mom
05-21-2008, 02:24 AM
On May 9th we added an extra candle for your brother. My 11 yr old asked why we had an extra candle and I said it was for Deputy Mike. I gave him a quick story on what happened and he said we have to add an extra candle for Sheriff Mike every year now. I reminded him that he was a Deputy and he said "Come on mom, God made him a sheriff in Heaven"

That is a wonderfull thought for a child so young, and tell him yes he is in heaven looking out for us all..he was such a wonderfull and kind man. What a sweet young child you have raised..very caring..

Freebeemom
05-21-2008, 03:48 AM
I am so sorry for you. I honestly can't imagine how hard this is for you.

Lild
05-21-2008, 06:09 AM
I missed the story, but realize that he isn't with you anymore, I also want to say I am sorry ~hugs~

Army-Mom
05-21-2008, 06:22 AM
I missed the story, but realize that he isn't with you anymore, I also want to say I am sorry ~hugs~

Mellie McDaniel was on her way home from the grocery store, talking with her husband, Jackson County (FL) Sheriff John P. McDaniel, on her mobile phone. It was a little before 5 p.m. on January 30, 2007. As she pulled into her driveway, she suddenly became concerned; another car had pulled in behind her. She reported this suspicious activity to her husband, and then she let out a long scream.

Sheriff McDaniel immediately radioed for officers in the area to respond to the scene. Within two minutes Deputy Harold Michael "Mike" Altman, 42, arrived at the Sheriff's residence. He called in a Michigan license plate to the dispatcher and then was heard to say over the radio, "Get off me!" There was no further radio communication. Two minutes later Sheriff McDaniel arrived, along with Captain Joey Rabon and Corporal Billy Dozier. They were confronted by two men, one of them wearing camouflage clothing, who stepped out from behind the home and started shooting at the Sheriff. In the ensuing gun battle the two assailants were killed.

When the gunfire had ended, Sheriff McDaniel and his two colleagues made a grisly discovery. In the driveway, laying next to one another, were the bodies of Mrs. McDaniel and Deputy Altman. They had both been shot and killed execution-style in the horrifying few minutes following Mrs. McDaniel's scream for help. One of the assailants was suspected in the unsolved murder of his wife in 2001, and the Jackson County Sheriff's Office had been investigating the case. Some have speculated that the attack may have been related to the murder investigation, and the recent dismissal of a life insurance claim, but the deaths of the two assailants left their motives uncertain.

Deputy Harold Michael "Mike" Altman

Thawn
05-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Sending prayers

iluvmybaby
05-21-2008, 09:18 AM

WOW that brought tears to my eyes, out of the mouth of babes

Army-Mom
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
WOW that brought tears to my eyes, out of the mouth of babes

It brought tears to my eyes also..I sent a copy of it to my parents..