PDA

View Full Version : Why lurk???????????????

Rogerslmc
05-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Currently Active Users Community Leader
Showing threads 1 to 20 of 89 Users viewing 54 (8 members & 46 guests)

Just on checking for new goodies and hunting down ahippiechic for MORE help! Gawd luv her lil soul!

AND whammo??????? JOIN DAMMIT!

PrincessArky
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I always wondered why ppl didnt join up in the past but now I kind of understand that many just dont wanna get in the drama of things just looking for freebies and ya can find them w/out signing up lol.......also they could be members just not logged in

galeane29
05-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Alot of them are members just not signed in i'm sure.

galeane29
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I never saw that , but, but I think they should inforce that rule lol
But then , they still might not post so what difference does it make really?

PrincessArky
05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Was it here at BBS where it was mentioned that they were thinking about making it so that you had to register to view the freebie forum or am I thinking of another board?

not a clue I know some boards that are like that

ahippiechic
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I never saw that , but, but I think they should inforce that rule lol
But then , they still might not post so what difference does it make really?

It wouldn't make a diff. to us, but to the owners it would. I higher member # is a good thing.

jonette5
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Because if you join, and post something that is against the feelings and opinions of the majority, you get called sad, lonely, bitter and rude.

There was a post in OTC a while back about if people liked the REP or not. I posted and said it meant nothing to me and that I did not post much any way because my opinions were almost always different than the majority and why post just to start crap. Well I was told to post my opinions anyway. Well today I did and yep, it started crap. So after this I probably will go back to mostly "lurking" even though I am a member.

ahippiechic
05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Because if you join, and post something that is against the feelings and opinions of the majority, you get called sad, lonely, bitter and rude.

There was a post in OTC a while back about if people liked the REP or not. I posted and said it meant nothing to me and that I did not post much any way because my opinions were almost always different than the majority and why post just to start crap. Well I was told to post my opinions anyway. Well today I did and yep, it started crap. So after this I probably will go back to mostly "lurking" even though I am a member.

I don't understand why things like that bother people so much they stop posting.

And also, your post was just as unkind to someone who is grieving, as what was said to you.

galeane29
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I think people need to grow tough skin. I have had my run-ins on here before ( i'm sure it wont be the last LMAO) but it has'nt kept me from posting. I've made some good friends on here. Everyone has different was of thinking about things and everyone will have a difference of opinion, so what, if we were all the same, this place sure would be boring.

PrincessArky
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM

hey I completely disagree with you in that thread BUT I dont think you should let that make you not want to post........everyone here should voice their own opinion if they want to

sunie
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I lurked for years way back when the forum was different before it was changed, some of it was I was shy and another was that I didn't know anyone, Then I registered and got to know people, I may not agree with everyone's opinion but I don't dislike anyone either just some opinions, I've learned not to talk politics or religion on a forum, and also that you need to watch what you type because it's not like talking in person it's very different when someone can't listen to your actual words, and what you type can be taken the wrong way.

Honestly jonette i don't think you should NOT post, but in the other thread I would have considered the pain of the OP's feelings and kept the rest under wraps.

katgirl3
05-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I lurked for years way back when the forum was different before it was changed, some of it was I was shy and another was that I didn't know anyone, Then I registered and got to know people, I may not agree with everyone's opinion but I don't dislike anyone either just some opinions, I've learned not to talk politics or religion on a forum, and also that you need to watch what you type because it's not like talking in person it's very different when someone can't listen to your actual words, and what you type can be taken the wrong way.

Honestly jonette i don't think you should NOT post, but in the other thread I would have considered the pain of the OP's feelings and kept the rest under wraps.

Why keep the rest under wraps. Some of what jonette posted needed to be said. Maybe it was hard for the OP to hear but those are the cold hard facts. Maybe jonette could have said it in a more compassionate manor, but some people don't beat around the bush. No sugar coating. Just direct and to the point. On a message board or real life. And she did express her sorrow for the family.

I've been on the receiving end of the mob before. But I figure, to heck with them. I have a right to my opinion (even if it's not popular, and btw it usually isn't) as much as they do. So don't stop posting jonette. Makes things interesting around here. :)

Love your avatar sunie.

ahippiechic
05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
No one said she didn't have a right to post her opinion. In fact, I pointed out that she did. But when you post opinions in such a way as those were, then don't be surprised at the replies you get back and/or want to go back to being a lurker because of them.

katgirl3
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
No one said she didn't have a right to post her opinion. In fact, I pointed out that she did. But when you post opinions in such a way as those were, then don't be surprised at the replies you get back and/or want to go back to being a lurker because of them.

I don't think I said anyone said she didn't have a right to post her opinion. And I believe the basic jist of my post was don't let what anyone says make you go back to lurking.

The OP also has to understand when you post on a public forum, you're open for criticism.

loveswolfs
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I lurk some times becuz im looking to see if some thing was posted yet, & just to lazy to log in.

ahippiechic
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think I said anyone said she didn't have a right to post her opinion. And I believe the basic jist of my post was don't let what anyone says make you go back to lurking.

The OP also has to understand when you post on a public forum, you're open for criticism.

I'm sure she does understand that. But she isn't saying she's going to seldom post or go back to lurking because someone was rude to her on here.

LitWtch
05-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Personally I don't see why it is called "lurking" if a person chooses NOT to join. Maybe they just don't want to join ANY site, but like to look around for shopping deals or free samples. Does it really matter if they post or not, if that is their choice not to join, but come around anyways?

buttrfli
05-20-2008, 03:59 AM
And people wonder why lurkers don't join lol

PrincessArky
05-20-2008, 04:05 AM

that also goes for anyone that posts in the OP's thread.......after all it wasnt the OP saying she was gonna go back to lurking it was another poster

galeane29
05-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Personally I don't see why it is called "lurking" if a person chooses NOT to join. Maybe they just don't want to join ANY site, but like to look around for shopping deals or free samples. Does it really matter if they post or not, if that is their choice not to join, but come around anyways?

In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely participates.

To the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean":

The Lurkers support me in e-mail
They all think I'm great don't you know.
You posters just don't understand me
But soon you will reap what you sow.

Lurkers, lurkers, lurkers support me, you'll see, you'll see
Off in e-mail the lurkers support me, you'll see.

The lurkers support me in e-mail
"So why don't they post?" you all cry
They're scared of your hostile intentions
They just can't be as brave as I.

One day I'll round up all my lurkers
We'll have a newsgroup of our own
Without all this flak from you morons
My lurkers will post round my throne.

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 05:22 AM
LMAO galeane to dang funny! My point was more members better for owner and site. Just strikes me that 1 in 4 is member or logged in. I stay logged in.

nightrider127
05-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I lurk just about everytime I visit the site from down at work. I tend to forget to log out if I stay logged in more than a very few minutes. Now if I see something I want to reply to, I will log in long enought to make the reply but then I log right back out.

galeane29
05-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I stay logged in also. I have to ya know, I cant NOT post on here LMAO

galeane29
05-20-2008, 05:27 AM
I lurk just about everytime I visit the site from down at work. I tend to forget to log out if I stay logged in more than a very few minutes. Now if I see something I want to reply to, I will log in long enought to make the reply but then I log right back out.

SPUD in 08'

sunie
05-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Why keep the rest under wraps. Some of what jonette posted needed to be said. Maybe it was hard for the OP to hear but those are the cold hard facts. Maybe jonette could have said it in a more compassionate manor, but some people don't beat around the bush. No sugar coating. Just direct and to the point. On a message board or real life. And she did express her sorrow for the family.

I've been on the receiving end of the mob before. But I figure, to heck with them. I have a right to my opinion (even if it's not popular, and btw it usually isn't) as much as they do. So don't stop posting jonette. Makes things interesting around here. :)

I think that I'm speaking for most of us that was in that thread, that it should have been in a compassionate manner, and it wasn't, i'm a very direct person also and have no fear of giving my opinion when it's the correct time and place, but jonette's post sounded like an attack and finger pointing. It was pretty cruel how it was put. I would never tell some one NOT to give their opinion, but there is a time and place. I would hope that if I came here and started a sympathy thread for a lost loved one including a pet that I would not have someone come on and basically tell me "Well that's what you get, sorry for your loss, but it's your fault." And that's what was read in there. The OP of that thread was probably kicking herself tearing herself up over the loss of a loved pet, doing the "What if" thing, I know I would have, and how jonette's post was it was like kicking a person while they were down. Personally I don't let my pets out, where I live there's things that will eat them, not to mention my horrible road, but sh!t happens, like that psycho white cat of mine, she loves to hunt birds and escapes all the time, I've chased her down before, but it gets old when it's the fourth time in a day. Just because she made a mistake does not mean she does not love her animal, I've made the same saying, I'm not chasing Luna again she'll come to the door later.

Love your avatar sunie.

Thank you katgirl it looked like my cat Luna but with longer hair :)

Wimzik
05-20-2008, 07:07 AM
I lurked for a long time before I joined, but I really only came her for the freebies and deal forums, then I discovered OT and V&W and started reading some of the discussions, I still lurked for a little while just to get a feel of things and get to know a little about the members before I felt comfortable jumping in.

Jackie_Blu
05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
When I first joined I just went to the freebie forum until I figured out there were other forums. After that I spent most of my time in off topic and vent/whine. LOL Sometimes I wonder if some of the people from the freebie forum even know about the other forums.

I didnt know about the other forums either. Until something I posted in freebies was moved to v/w. I finally found it and opened a whole new world for me in OT and V/W LOL I used to post a ton of stuff in freebies, but when it got to be a mess in there I just hang out in these and seldom go into freebies anymore.

jonette5
05-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Let me say to everyone on here who thinks the reason I said I was going back to "lurking" is because I feel someone was rude to me or any of the comments made to me hurt my feelings......you are WRONG! I have very thick skin, and it all rolled off my back. I know none of you, so I don't care what you think. My reason, if you read my post and what I said in the REP thread was, I don't like to post because my opinion is almost always different than the majority and posting just starts crap. That is what happened. And by crap I mean, people getting their panties in a bunch and cussing and lashing out at what was said that they don't like. If people on here could just agree to disagree and not start fighting everytime something is said they don't like, then maybe so many people would not just "lurk". The "mob mentality" on this site is crazy, and I am sure it scares many folks away.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Well if I was a lurker and saw your post it would certainly make me think twice about joining. There are ways of disagreeing with someone without being rude and insensitive. Some people just don't know what tact is.

Yeah really.

suprtruckr
05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
we have freebies? :doh :beamup

Wimzik
05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Let me say to everyone on here who thinks the reason I said I was going back to "lurking" is because I feel someone was rude to me or any of the comments made to me hurt my feelings......you are WRONG! I have very thick skin, and it all rolled off my back. I know none of you, so I don't care what you think. My reason, if you read my post and what I said in the REP thread was, I don't like to post because my opinion is almost always different than the majority and posting just starts crap. That is what happened. And by crap I mean, people getting their panties in a bunch and cussing and lashing out at what was said that they don't like. If people on here could just agree to disagree and not start fighting everytime something is said they don't like, then maybe so many people would not just "lurk". The "mob mentality" on this site is crazy, and I am sure it scares many folks away.

What exactly did you expect? Tasha posted about feeling sad about her cat being run down and you come along and tell her it's her fault, what did you think the reaction would be?
"Mob mentality"? thats a bit of an exaggeration, Your rude post was out of line and a few people who have compassion just pointed that out thats a mob mentality?
You could start a post about about how you feel about pet owners and I'm sure many people would agree with you, but posting you're opinion in a thread where someone is grieving over a lost pet isn't going to go over well. Get it?

jonette5
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Well if I was a lurker and saw your post it would certainly make me think twice about joining. There are ways of disagreeing with someone without being rude and insensitive. Some people just don't know what tact is.

See this is where I feel we need to agree to disagree. What you feel was portrayed as rude and insensitive, I think is just to the point and not sugar coated. I see nothing wrong with bluntness and I suppose you do. You feel what I had to say was rude, but do you think all the names I was called and the cussing at me was also rude? The names and cussing did not bother me in the least, but my comments sured seemed to rile you and others. I in no post called anyone a name or cussed but I was called names and cussed at. Now I can be called names and cussed at all day and it does not bother me in the least, but that is what I mean by starting crap when I post. My opinion and the way I am so blunt is different than the majorities and everyone gets riled and starts name calling and cussing and before you know it there is an all out "war" going on. So I say why bother, it's not worth the drama.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm one of the most blunt people on here. I post exactly how I feel. But I would not have done that in her thread, even if I did blame her. I would have started my own post about how I felt about pet owners who let their animals go outside.
But when I've been blunt and what many considered rude and they've given it right back, I wouldn't let that or any crap that started because I posted how I felt, make me go back to being a lurker.

And if you were called a name, send me a link to the post and I'll take the appropriate measures, because that is against the rules.

Lild
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
See this is where I feel we need to agree to disagree. What you feel was portrayed as rude and insensitive, I think is just to the point and not sugar coated. I see nothing wrong with bluntness and I suppose you do. You feel what I had to say was rude, but do you think all the names I was called and the cussing at me was also rude? The names and cussing did not bother me in the least, but my comments sured seemed to rile you and others. I in no post called anyone a name or cussed but I was called names and cussed at. Now I can be called names and cussed at all day and it does not bother me in the least, but that is what I mean by starting crap when I post. My opinion and the way I am so blunt is different than the majorities and everyone gets riled and starts name calling and cussing and before you know it there is an all out "war" going on. So I say why bother, it's not worth the drama.

Honestly, what was she suppose to do, it was not her fault her cat died. Let me see you try to keep your cat in a fenced in yard, better yet, lets just tie it on a leash to the tree:slap
Apparently some people haven't owned a cat.:withstupid:

iluvmybaby
05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I lurk when I am nekkid:itsme: j/k

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I went back and looked through the threads and didn't see where she was called a name. The word ass was used a couple of times but no one was calling her one.

I just read them all again also and saw no name-calling. Some commented on her posts/comments but I saw no personal attacks.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM

I POST when I'm nekkid! :D

jonette5
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I just read them all again also and saw no name-calling. Some commented on her posts/comments but I saw no personal attacks.

So being told to "bite me" is not an attack? Not that it bothers me, but I would consider that an attack. I was called sad, lonely, bitter, unkind, tacky, hearless, ignorant, mean, cruel. Maybe you don't consider that name calling, I do. Again something we see differently. I didn't report anything because none of it makes a difference to me so why report it.
All of this just enforces the reasons I do not start threads or post in threads very often, I see things in a much different manner than the majority on here, so why bother, it only makes waves.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Saying you must have a sad life isn't name-calling.

Saying that your comments were rude, unkind, heartless etc, isn't name-calling.

Being told 'bite-me' isn't calling you a name.

galeane29
05-20-2008, 10:26 AM

You too? Thought I was the only one that did that LOL

galeane29
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
So being told to "bite me" is not an attack? Not that it bothers me, but I would consider that an attack. I was called sad, lonely, bitter, unkind, tacky, hearless, ignorant, mean, cruel. Maybe you don't consider that name calling, I do. Again something we see differently. I didn't report anything because none of it makes a difference to me so why report it.
All of this just enforces the reasons I do not start threads or post in threads very often, I see things in a much different manner than the majority on here, so why bother, it only makes waves.

I know someone you can go to on pointers, she has been called the PRO. So I'm sure she could tell you weather or not you were attacked LMAO

sunie
05-20-2008, 12:20 PM
***sigh***As for the other topic and posts there isn't much I can say, some people get so convinced that they are right they are unwilling or unable to take the opinions of others into consideration. And if I say anything else I'm going to feel like a record player LOL That and I don't feel like smacking my head in a brick wall anymore, man I thought my kids were stubborn!

As for lurking I've been really busy for the last four years, I bought my dream home and fixed it up some, I have before and after wanna see????!!!! Lost my dad long story there and lots of guilt, and just have been really busy, i've been so busy and have been here for so long and ONLY have 200+ posts man oh man I have some catching up to do!!

Now I'm going to play tigger and bounce through these threads again, as for all this nekkidness :backaway (i've been dying to use him LMBO)

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

AMEN SISTA!

galeane29
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
AMEN SISTA!

You know what? I said that to someone on this board when
I first joined, I was told it was a guy, I believe it was Crick LMAO
How was I suppose to know that men were members here too?

mosdata1
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Honestly, what was she suppose to do, it was not her fault her cat died. Let me see you try to keep your cat in a fenced in yard, better yet, lets just tie it on a leash to the tree:slap
Apparently some people haven't owned a cat.:withstupid:

In Hillsborough County, FL you are required to have your cats under your control if they are not on your property. So some places do have 'leash laws' for cats. I have to say, this is one law I am happy about, as I am not happy to have other people's animals in my yard, driving my dogs crazy.

PrincessArky
05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I know someone you can go to on pointers, she has been called the PRO. So I'm sure she could tell you weather or not you were attacked LMAO

LOL

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL! Maybe we should have people leashes also?

Know a few necks I'd like to see them around!~!

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
You know what? I said that to someone on this board when
I first joined, I was told it was a guy, I believe it was Crick LMAO
How was I suppose to know that men were members here too?

Pretty sure she's not a he. LOL

And hey, with nics you never know. Folks always respond thanks Roger. Rogers is my last name. LMC is my company name.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Pretty sure she's not a he. LOL

And hey, with nics you never know. Folks always respond thanks Roger. Rogers is my last name. LMC is my company name.

I thought you were a guy at 1st also, then after really looking at the name, I figured it was 'Rogers' and not 'Roger', lol! :D

mosdata1
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
LOL! Maybe we should have people leashes also?

Know a few necks I'd like to see them around!~!
:dito: :amen

galeane29
Lmao

Thawn
Wow! Just getting the tail end of this. I have just started NOT lurking again. & the reason I stopped for awhile was just asking a question on how the forum worked brought down a snotty response by a moderator. So yea, why subject yourself to other peoples attitude? It's true I don't know anyone. Most of you seem really nice. But just the other week someone wrote basically that people who post should be up to date on everyones business. Who they are, children etc. & my memory just ain't that good! LOL!

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I thought you were a guy at 1st also, then after really looking at the name, I figured it was 'Rogers' and not 'Roger', lol! :D

Hubby says I think I have balls! LOL!

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Wow! Just getting the tail end of this. I have just started NOT lurking again. & the reason I stopped for awhile was just asking a question on how the forum worked brought down a snotty response by a moderator. So yea, why subject yourself to other peoples attitude? It's true I don't know anyone. Most of you seem really nice. But just the other week someone wrote basically that people who post should be up to date on everyones business. Who they are, children etc. & my memory just ain't that good! LOL!

Nah!! If ya read another thread I screwed up on Galeane's post and thought no kids! Chick has a Brady Bunch family! She quickly said EXCUSE THE HECK OUTTA ME! JK! But I took no offense and apologized.

I dunno whats happening to anyone unless it's in their tag lines. Expecting, wedding pics etc.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Me either and I'm here most of the time.

galeane29
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Nah!! If ya read another thread I screwed up on Galeane's post and thought no kids! Chick has a Brady Bunch family! She quickly said EXCUSE THE HECK OUTTA ME! JK! But I took no offense and apologized.

I dunno whats happening to anyone unless it's in their tag lines. Expecting, wedding pics etc.

Yep Brady Bunch, got 3 of each. I'm 34 and I already have grey hair :( Lol

galeane29
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Hubby says I think I have balls! LOL!

Its that Alabama woman in you, you have to be tough.
My husband asks me why I have to act so much like a dude.
I'm just not girlie, sorry. LOL

magickay
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
When I first joined I just went to the freebie forum until I figured out there were other forums. After that I spent most of my time in off topic and vent/whine. LOL Sometimes I wonder if some of the people from the freebie forum even know about the other forums.

I first came to BBS because of the Rewards/Points Programs section (don't remember how I found it, either....). I would check it out once or twice a week. Then I discovered the Freebies section, and was on every other day. That led to FSOT, then OTC, then V/W...

"Hi, I'm magickay, and I am a BBS-aholic"

Wimzik
05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I first came to BBS because of the Rewards/Points Programs section"

I came to bbs cause Janet promised me a free t-shirt, and I aint leaving til I get it!!! :aetsch: lol

galeane29
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I first came to BBS because of the Rewards/Points Programs section (don't remember how I found it, either....). I would check it out once or twice a week. Then I discovered the Freebies section, and was on every other day. That led to FSOT, then OTC, then V/W...

"Hi, I'm magickay, and I am a BBS-aholic"

My name is Rod and I like to party...oops thats a movie quote

I'm galeane and I also am a BBS-aholic.

ahippiechic
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I came to bbs cause Janet promised me a free t-shirt, and I aint leaving til I get it!!! :aetsch: lol

Yeah, me too!

Rogerslmc
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah, me too!

LMAO! I remember that! Had a diff name back in 2000. Never could get it back! Moved and hubby kept the old computer ISP! LOL! WTH are our shirts?

Tasha405
05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I guess since my thread was brought up in here and the comments were discussed in here for a little while, that its ok for me to say a few things....

I am all for someone posting/giving their opinions on things here. I have agreed and disagreed with many people on here over the years but I do feel there is a time and a place to do it. I was posting about something that just happened and about something that really upset me and my kids. Of course I sat here and went through the "what ifs" and all of that but at the end of the day, I know I took good care of my cat. He was a happy loving cat. I feel I done no wrong with how I took care of him in any way. If some of you think I did, then thats fine with me too. We all see things differently and thats ok.

To me, Jonette, your comments were rude. It was like you kicked me when I was down. I wasn't really looking for debates and opinions, I was simply looking for support. Like someone else said, if you wanted to bash out your opinions about pets being let outside and all of that, then you should have made another thread about it. You didn't have to be so rude to me in mine, not at that time. I don't feel that it was my fault that my cat got killed. It was the man who was speeding that hit and killed him, not me. I didn't throw him under the vihicle or chase him out into the street. If my child got out of my fence and got into the street going after a ball or something and got hit and killed, would that be my fault too?

But anyway, I'm not here to argue with anyone. If you think I am wrong and a horrible pet owner, then so be it. I don't know you and you don't know me. So its all good. You are entitled to your own opinions as I am mine. Like I said, I was looking for support during a rough time for me and my family at the time and I would like to thank everyone who gave it to us. Even if you (in general) didn't agree with what I done, you still gave me your support and I really appreciate it.

Now if I had come here and said... I am putting this damn cat outside, its driving me crazy. Its doing this and that and blah blah blah and then you came in and said something like that, I would expect it.

Anyway, have a good night everyone and I hope yall have a great day tomorrow. Well umm, today, since its past midnight here. :p

LitWtch
05-21-2008, 03:29 AM
In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely participates.

Why thank you for that definition.... as if I didn't already know. My point is, what difference does it make? Does someone reading something and not posting REALLY matter? Does it HURT anything or anybody? I read a great deal of this board and many others. I choose not to participate on a regular basis due to the lake of time on line. Does that make me a lurker because I just may not have an opinion on a subject?

galeane29
05-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Why thank you for that definition.... as if I didn't already know. My point is, what difference does it make? Does someone reading something and not posting REALLY matter? Does it HURT anything or anybody? I read a great deal of this board and many others. I choose not to participate on a regular basis due to the lake of time on line. Does that make me a lurker because I just may not have an opinion on a subject?

Hey you asked AND you are asking the same question again.....i'll give it to you another time....

Yes you are a lurker if you do not participate.
Why argue the definition of the word?

Bliss
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
In Hillsborough County, FL you are required to have your cats under your control if they are not on your property. So some places do have 'leash laws' for cats. I have to say, this is one law I am happy about, as I am not happy to have other people's animals in my yard, driving my dogs crazy.

It should be the law everywhere... I don't to much appreciate having my neighbors cats sitting on my vehicles, digging up my plants to take a crap, & the other things they do.

I keep my animals in my yard and others should do the same... It's rude to allow your animals to roam in peoples yards and destoy their property.

Bliss
05-21-2008, 12:19 PM

LMAO - Tell it girl. :hi5 :lol

Rogerslmc
05-21-2008, 12:33 PM

The owner(s) of this board are able to keep it up and add all the new things etc based on ads etc. Which are in turn based on MEMBERSHIP. Obviously you are a member. Why not just stay logged in?

Who knows we might get some company to give us all a freebie by being members if the reports that are generated each month show we have 800 people on line at so many hours.

That was simply my point. Some lurkers never join. That defeats the whole point. I agree with the above posts that it should be mandatory to be a member and be signed in in order to view the freebies. MANY other sites are already that way!

You never have to say a dang word just sign in.

cinn45
05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
I dont always sign in..maybe others do the same

LitWtch
05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm always logged in until I do maintenance - then I log into all the sites I go to when I get there. I have nothing to hide.

cinn45
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I dont have anything to hide either...I dont have a lot of time to spend on computer most days..so whats the big deal..

dianepost
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

I was the one that said BITE ME.
A CLICHE
You ATTACKED the poster about her poor cat that was hit,calling her irresponsible,in so many words, I was expressing my opinion, as you put it in one of your posts, I once had a cat that flew out the door when i opened it and the neighbors dog chased it into the road and it also was hit,
So do i merit an attack from you? I don't think so.
If you don't know a persons situation, then maybe you shouldn't post things to hurt someones feelings, MY OPINION!
IF YOU DISH IT OUT, BETTER BE ABLE TO TAKE IT

Bliss
05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
The owner(s) of this board are able to keep it up and add all the new things etc based on ads etc. Which are in turn based on MEMBERSHIP. Obviously you are a member. Why not just stay logged in?

That was simply my point. Some lurkers never join. That defeats the whole point. I agree with the above posts that it should be mandatory to be a member and be signed in in order to view the freebies. MANY other sites are already that way!

You never have to say a dang word just sign in.

I don't believe one needs to be a member for the webmaster to collect monies from those who click on ads. Anyone who clicks on an ad on this site and goes to "whatever" the company knows where the traffic is coming from based on the info in the url.

The webmaster isn't getting anything from the freebies people post. I don't understand the need to make the freebie forum visible to those who are members. Most websites want people to join for the simple reason to add numbers to make their site "top rank."

If you are already a member and you don't log in, it's no biggie, you are already added to the data base.

dianepost
05-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I think i'm invisible, can anyone see me? where am i?:hmmmm2: :hmmmm2: :lurker
So what i am asking,duh to me, is, if i am signed in but remain invisible am i a lurker?
LOL

LitWtch
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I think i'm invisible, can anyone see me? where am i?:hmmmm2: :hmmmm2: :lurker
So what i am asking,duh to me, is, if i am signed in but remain invisible am i a lurker?
LOL

According to some people, you are! :beamup

MERE CHAT
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Personally I don't let my pets out, where I live there's things that will eat them, not to mention my horrible road, but sh!t happens, like that psycho white cat of mine, she loves to hunt birds and escapes all the time, I've chased her down before, but it gets old when it's the fourth time in a day. Just because she made a mistake does not mean she does not love her animal, I've made the same saying, I'm not chasing Luna again she'll come to the door later.

How does your cat "escape" four times a day? If your not worried about chasing Luna because "she'll come to the door later", I personally don't want to hear you "vent and whine" about her after you find her on the side of the road or witness Tasha's nightmare. Big was just 1 year old. My Cinnamon died in my arms at 17 and I never let her "escape." Some people just don't get it that they're "family" too.

squirt661
05-21-2008, 04:12 PM
OK, I guess again I am making a big mistake in posting this, because it seems from what I have read that posters are entitled to their opinions. Yes, not everyone agrees on something, and when I used to post, my opinion was considered rude and I got bashed LOL so I try not to post that often. I remember even a mod from this board, nope, not you ahippiechick, made a comment that all my posts were that way, and the poster after her posted, great, I'm on my way to read all her posts. What did her remark prove??? So maybe you think what I posted was rude, well, that was your opinion. I shoot straight from my heart when I post. Anyway, sorry to get off topic about that, but, I also like most people do stay logged in at all times, so, glad to hear I am not considered a lurker LOL.

Rogerslmc
05-21-2008, 05:02 PM
According to some people, you are! :beamup

No, not what was said. Never the hell mind.

galeane29
05-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Kills me how some people NEVER post except to be hateful and rude.

Rogerslmc
05-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Ditto!

katgirl3
05-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sure she does understand that. But she isn't saying she's going to seldom post or go back to lurking because someone was rude to her on here.

Don't think I said that either. But you're right. You shouldn't let what others say on this board stop you from posting. On that, we agree. :)

katgirl3
05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
that also goes for anyone that posts in the OP's thread.......after all it wasnt the OP saying she was gonna go back to lurking it was another poster

Yeah. I read that. Not sure what your point is and why you're directing it at me.

katgirl3
05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that I'm speaking for most of us that was in that thread, that it should have been in a compassionate manner, and it wasn't, i'm a very direct person also and have no fear of giving my opinion when it's the correct time and place, but jonette's post sounded like an attack and finger pointing. It was pretty cruel how it was put. I would never tell some one NOT to give their opinion, but there is a time and place. I would hope that if I came here and started a sympathy thread for a lost loved one including a pet that I would not have someone come on and basically tell me "Well that's what you get, sorry for your loss, but it's your fault." And that's what was read in there. The OP of that thread was probably kicking herself tearing herself up over the loss of a loved pet, doing the "What if" thing, I know I would have, and how jonette's post was it was like kicking a person while they were down. Personally I don't let my pets out, where I live there's things that will eat them, not to mention my horrible road, but sh!t happens, like that psycho white cat of mine, she loves to hunt birds and escapes all the time, I've chased her down before, but it gets old when it's the fourth time in a day. Just because she made a mistake does not mean she does not love her animal, I've made the same saying, I'm not chasing Luna again she'll come to the door later.

Thank you katgirl it looked like my cat Luna but with longer hair :)

You're exactly right. And that's why I tried to post my opinion as tactfully as possible. I still think jonette made some good points. But they could have been said in a different manner. I'm sure the OP is second guessing her decision to let the cat outside. And does feel some guilt. She'll be beating herself up over this for awhile. I know I would. I have no doubt she loves her kitty. Most people that I know let their cats outside. And some cats just get outside. Once they're out, good luck catching them. You just have to wait for them to come back. Some you simply can't keep inside. They'll get out one way or another. I hope the OP is doing better. And I hope she's not being too hard on herself.

PrincessArky
05-22-2008, 04:24 AM
It should be the law everywhere... I don't to much appreciate having my neighbors cats sitting on my vehicles, digging up my plants to take a crap, & the other things they do.

I keep my animals in my yard and others should do the same... It's rude to allow your animals to roam in peoples yards and destoy their property.
just wondering if any of your pets are cats and if so how are other peoples cat getting in but yours cant get out?

thats just who some ppl are........see if my mom were here and posting you wouldnt even freaking believe we are related lol

sunie
05-22-2008, 05:22 AM
How does your cat "escape" four times a day? If your not worried about chasing Luna because "she'll come to the door later", I personally don't want to hear you "vent and whine" about her after you find her on the side of the road or witness Tasha's nightmare. Big was just 1 year old. My Cinnamon died in my arms at 17 and I never let her "escape." Some people just don't get it that they're "family" too.

My cat Puss died at 20 she never went out either, when she went she was blind, deaf, and fangless, but then again she had no desire to get out either.

98% of the time I go and get her, she's 3 she's quick and determined, HOW she gets out, is a combination of hubby and my 7 & 9 yr. old kids. She will dart out of the house when you open the door to go out. Or when she hears them go out she will go where she can not be seen, she does not sit in front of the door, she will wait by the wall next to the door and take off when they come back in, smart cat. If you catch her and chase her away from the door, the back door in the kitchen is her favorite, when you leave the room she will go back and wait. And if something happened to her I would be on here because she is a part of our family, and my daughter would be devistated and so would I. Another reason we don't want her out is because she is pure white and has no coloring to her so if there is a dog or something else out there she has no defenses she can not hide if something tried to get her.

And I do worry about getting her, she even pulled it in the winter, I opened the door to give Buster, this stray I'd been feeding some food and off she went, I ran out in the snow in bare feet JUST to get her back. Stupid me didn't even stop for a pair of shoes, smart cat made one loop in the snow and deceided she didn't want any part of it. And I came in with feet so cold I couldn't feel them, cussing.

So yes she has gotten out 4 times in day before because the kids are careless and they don't remember to crane their necks to check around the door for her, or the hubby opens the door to ask me something and she shoots out. And yes 2 percent of the time I don't get her because I get so frustrated having to make circles around 2 acres trying to lure her back in. Let me add it is not every single day, but if there is a chance she will take it. She'll let you get so close to her then she'll jump and take off like a shot, it gets frustrating as h###. And those days are the ones I say, dang it this is the fourth time, you chase her this time because I'm tired of chasing her and I'm going to let her come to the door. Maybe it's wrong, but if you had a cat that would sneak and hide just to get out you would understand. And also there are times like when I'm cooking dinner, or trying to get one kid to finish homework, or like when I'm in the tub I can not just take off and stop what I'm doing to go and catch her. Yes I was in the tub once when she did it and Logan my dot. came in crying that Luna got out. I hope as she gets older that she will calm down and quit escaping. But just because of that it does not mean I don't love her, or worry about her.

And at no time did I ever Jump on Tasha and I do get it that they're family, I don't want Luna to get out I don't want her outside period.

I did the what if thing with Bo, my other cat that passed last year, he was my baby I loved him like crazy he was my grandpa's cat. He passed in my basement two days before my birthday last year, And I tore my self up about it. I know there wasn't anything I could have done he was over weight and had a heart attack, but I still did it. I cried for months over it, and I still miss him like crazy.

I have two other cats besides Luna that have no desire to be out thank goodness that thankfully I don't have to watch like that.

My heart really breaks for them, I have 6 pets, three dogs, three cats and I know how much it would hurt to loose one of them. To actually see it happen would be devistating.

And that's why it bothered me because I know how it feels to loose a pet, how bad it hurts and what a hole it leaves in your life when you loose one.

LitWtch
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Yeah - it really does, doesn't it? I thought people were permitted to have thier opinion heard, but apparently that only applies to the opinions people want to hear.
I don't see where I was hateful or rude in any way. I post rarely because I am limited to time on line - notice I have been a member here for 7 years....

Bliss
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
just wondering if any of your pets are cats and if so how are other peoples cat getting in but yours cant get out?

It's an indoor cat.

ETA: Let me clarify when I said "animals" I meant all animals not just cats.

galeane29
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah - it really does, doesn't it? I thought people were permitted to have thier opinion heard, but apparently that only applies to the opinions people want to hear.
I don't see where I was hateful or rude in any way. I post rarely because I am limited to time on line - notice I have been a member here for 7 years....

Did I name YOU? NO, I stated a opinion that I had , deal with it.

katgirl3
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Saying you must have a sad life isn't name-calling.

Saying that your comments were rude, unkind, heartless etc, isn't name-calling.

Being told 'bite-me' isn't calling you a name.

Being told "bite me" may not be name calling but it is an attack. But then, some of the mods are a little particular who they give infractions to. Aren't they? And saying someone is bitter, lonely and sad....to me, that's name calling. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than calling someone a busybody. And that's where the old double standard comes into play.

katgirl3
05-22-2008, 07:22 PM

I don't mind being called a lurker. It makes me sound EVIL. :)

On a serious note, it doesn't matter if someone reads and doesn't post. Nobody's business but your own.

Bliss
05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Being told "bite me" may not be name calling but it is an attack. But then, some of the mods are a little particular who they give infractions to. Aren't they? And saying someone is bitter, lonely and sad....to me, that's name calling. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than calling someone a busybody. And that's where the old double standard comes into play.

I don't see bite me, you're lame, lonely, bitter, sad, rude, your life sucks, you're a busy body as attacks. It's juat a nice way of say, "you f'in suck butt.":slap I'm kidding, those aren't attacks.

I think as much as some people want to believe, The mods aren't particular who they give infractions to. I've gotten an infraction for defending myself and not being so nice when I was doing it. Many believed I was "off the hook" while they received infractions. :lol

katgirl3
05-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't see bite me, you're lame, lonely, bitter, sad, rude, your life sucks, you're a busy body as attacks. It's juat a nice way of say, "you f'in suck butt.":slap I'm kidding, those aren't attacks.

I think as much as some people want to believe, The mods aren't particular who they give infractions to. I've gotten an infraction for defending myself and not being so nice when I was doing it. Many believed I was "off the hook" while they received infractions. :lol

Apparently, calling someone a busybody is a reason for infraction. A 5 point infraction to be specific. Whatever the hell that means. lol I wonder if I can turn those points into rewards? lol

ahippiechic
05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Apparently, calling someone a busybody is a reason for infraction. A 5 point infraction to be specific. Whatever the hell that means. lol I wonder if I can turn those points into rewards? lol

You can. Get enough of them and you can trade them in for a ban. Or you can try real hard and get one sooner.

Saying that someone must have a lonely bitter life or saying something about someone's postsis different than saying "you are a ________ (fill in the blank)

And I've said it before, but I'm an equal opportunity hater, I don't care who I give an infraction, I've given some to people who I consider friends on here (and IRL as well).

katgirl3
05-22-2008, 08:10 PM
You can. Get enough of them and you can trade them in for a ban. Or you can try real hard and get one sooner.

Saying that someone must have a lonely bitter life or saying something about someone's postsis different than saying "you are a ________ (fill in the blank)

And I've said it before, but I'm an equal opportunity hater, I don't care who I give an infraction, I've given some to people who I consider friends on here (and IRL as well).

So you actually have to say "you are a _____(fill in the blank). This kind of sounds like that "You must lead a sad lonely life, because you seem to be such a bitter person.". They may as well have said "you are a bitter person". I'm not trying to get anyone an infraction here. I'm just trying to figure out the rules for infractions. The rules seem to go all over the place. "You are a busybody" gets an infraction. But "you are a bitter person" doesn't. Seems to come down to the mods perception. Personally, I don't think either one deserves an infraction. How about this, if I told someone to put on their big girl panties and deal, would that get an infraction? My grandma used to say that. lol

And exactly how many points does it take to be banned. And how many points do you get for what?

ahippiechic
05-22-2008, 08:19 PM
So you actually have to say "you are a _____(fill in the blank). This kind of sounds like that "You must lead a sad lonely life, because you seem to be such a bitter person.". They may as well have said "you are a bitter person". I'm not trying to get anyone an infraction here. I'm just trying to figure out the rules for infractions. The rules seem to go all over the place. "You are a busybody" gets an infraction. But "you are a bitter person" doesn't. Seems to come down to the mods perception. Personally, I don't think either one deserves an infraction. How about this, if I told someone to put on their big girl panties and deal, would that get an infraction? My grandma used to say that. lol

I say that on here all the time, and it used to be my sig.

We can't read and edit every slight on here and don't want to. We're not baby sitters. There is a lot more leeway here than there used to be. But we do draw the line on outright name calling, making fun of people's looks or kids or race, etc. It also depends on how many times you've been warned about something, how many previous infractions you've had etc. If we edited everything that someone considered rude on here, there wouldn't be many posts left.

And for those who think we just ban whoever we want, for no reason, (which it states in the rules that we can do) if that was the case, this place would be almost empty.

katgirl3
05-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I say that on here all the time, and it used to be my sig.

We can't read and edit every slight on here and don't want to. We're not baby sitters. There is a lot more leeway here than there used to be. But we do draw the line on outright name calling, making fun of people's looks or kids or race, etc. It also depends on how many times you've been warned about something, how many previous infractions you've had etc. If we edited everything that someone considered rude on here, there wouldn't be many posts left.

And for those who think we just ban whoever we want, for no reason, (which it states in the rules that we can do) if that was the case, this place would be almost empty.

But I'm just curious how the point system works. And you're not answering my question. I do know, per the TOS, invading someone's privacy or posting something inaccurate is a no no. But that happened and it was okay. Just confused here and am looking for clarafication.

Also, from what I'm reading in your post (I've made it bold) doesn't look like you like too many people here.

Anywho, I'll quit highjacking this thread and let everyone get back on topic.

ahippiechic
05-22-2008, 09:35 PM
But I'm just curious how the point system works. And you're not answering my question. I do know, per the TOS, invading someone's privacy or posting something inaccurate is a no no. But that happened and it was okay. Just confused here and am looking for clarafication.

Also, from what I'm reading in your post (I've made it bold) doesn't look like you like too many people here.

Anywho, I'll quit highjacking this thread and let everyone get back on topic.

We ban people for various things but 500 unexpired points and you're banned automatically.

It's not invading someone's privacy by posting a link to their myspace page. If their page isn't set to 'public', no one could see anything even with the link.

And that comment has nothing to do with me not liking anyone. I like several people here, most I don't know and some I really do dislike. I meant that we can ban for any reason, even little piddling ones and if we did that, then, this place would be mostly empty.

evrita
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
I told my hubby tonight I wanted vanity plates that said BYTME

galeane29
05-23-2008, 04:25 AM
OOOOHHH Evrita, I like your idea ;)

*heads to DMV* hehe

ladybugva
05-23-2008, 06:10 AM

I would be here by my self, twirling my thumbs, talking to my self b/c I always stay out of trouble...except for that time I cussed at every one in their rep by using one of the boards smilies. B/c I know Hippie likes me best :smileheart

ahippiechic
05-23-2008, 06:38 AM
I would be here by my self, twirling my thumbs, talking to my self b/c I always stay out of trouble...except for that time I cussed at every one in their rep by using one of the boards smilies. B/c I know Hippie likes me best :smileheart

You're not supposed to tell everyone that!

galeane29
05-23-2008, 06:49 AM
NUH UH!!! Hippie likes me bestest

HAHAHAHAHA

ahippiechic
05-23-2008, 06:52 AM
NUH UH!!! Hippie likes me bestest

HAHAHAHAHA

Since everyone is telling on me now, I'm going to close the thread. I think it's strayed far enough from the OP.