PDA

View Full Version : Push mower or riding mower?

Adra
05-17-2008, 05:18 AM
I have a little less than an acre of yard. I have a push mower because it is wonderful exercise, you burn a lot of calories pushing a mower.

But I did hurt my foot a few weeks ago and today will be the 3rd day that I have mowed. I push till it hurt bad then come inside and shower and soak my foot in Epson salt. (I stepped on a sweetgum ball and it created a stonebruise on the heel)

I have to go out soon and finish it up. I am seriously procrastinating.

So do you have a riding mower or a push mower?

buttrfli
05-17-2008, 05:22 AM
We have both. Our push mower is really a "push" mower.. not one of those fancy ones that you push the bar and it rolls on its own... ours is from the 70's lol

We use the riding to get the bulk of the yard and the push to get close to things (house, pool etc)

flute
05-17-2008, 05:26 AM
2 push, 1 riding.
The riding is EXTREMELY old - I mean a couple decades old or more. It's loud & every use the battery must be charged - it may have just died on us, actually. We're going to miss it, if it's really gone. Been having problems with it this year. Actually that's not true - been having problems with it since we got it - but having more problems now

I forgot how we wound up with 2 pushing mowers?
You burn more calories with the pushing but the riding (it's a 3 or 4 speed) is WAYYY more fun!

Oh & the riding can't cut the grass in front of the house, by the sidewalk so a push mower is essential.

tsquared
05-17-2008, 05:34 AM
I have both...bought my riding mower a few years back when dad was alive as we all had big yards and he was using a push mower to mow their yard after work so i bought the rider for him to make it easier. mom had epilepsy so she could not be in the heat and i still have 2 yards to do so the rider works out better for me and the push mower to mow close to the house

Adra
05-17-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't have one of those new easy push mowers either. sigh

But like I said it is excellant calorie burning work.

Time to get dressed and go-if I don't get on out of the house the phone will start ringing and I will be tied up for several hours. I love my church family but sometimes I just have to turn on the answering machine and go.

loveswolfs
05-17-2008, 05:39 AM
We have a push mower, but i dont use it. My brother comes over to cut the grass & i take care of the snow.

magenta
05-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Riding mower. We have a little over 3 acres and over 2 is grass, so by the time we would be done push mowing it, the grass would be growing again.

We weed wack around the bushes, swing sets, trampoline and sand box, etc.

Now we did have a riding mower with a bagger, which was nice, hate raking.

I don't do much of the lawn work though, DH & kids have to do it, grass gives me hives and makes my eyes red and itchy.

Shancopp
05-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Our association mows if you want them to. I don't let them. They zip around your yards 50 mph on the huge riders, practically doing donuts to turn around. They have left ruts in my yard in past years. They blow the clippings any which way but loose and usually ends up in my landscaping, which I have worked hard on the past 5 years. So, even though it's part of our monthly home owners association fee, I tell them to skip my yard. DH has a very nice newer Craftsman mower that we got for a steal at a yard sale. It was only 1 summer old when the guy got rid of it for 500. He uses that then weed whacks the trim, etc. I use a manual edger to do the walks, drive, patio edging. But when DH is deployed (like now) I use a push. Either get one from the inlaws or a neighbors. My lot is only .25 acre, so I can push it in about an hour. I'm kinda picky about how low it is cut (hate it when it gets scalped!), so I cut it high and rake the clippings if they are too bad.
I love working in the yard though. I know many don't. In fact, I've spent all spring hand plucking the dandelions in my yard. Now I don't have any! And the yards around me look like puff ball fields *tho I thiers will blow my way*, it looks good for now.

sorry for rambling! lol!

dv8grl
05-17-2008, 06:25 AM
We have a self-propelled push mower and a riding mower that needs to be repaired, NEVER LEND ANYTHING TO FAMILY MEMBERS, as they will always F it up!

sheila_361
05-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Our HOA has people come once a week, to mow and edge

Adra
05-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I tried I really really tried to get outside before the calls startd BUT did not make it. First was Mom and then dd. My family calls and I always answer if I can because you never know that might be the last time you get to hear their voice.

Now I am going quickly,

ttistin
05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
We have a self propelled push mower and we just got a riding mower about a month ago. We have about 2 acres to mow. I love mowing lawn but my allergies make it hard. Now I can go out and get it almost done before I have to stop cause of my eyes lol It has a bagger on it so we don't have to worry about raking.

SLance68
05-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a lawn service. It is worth every penny I pay them. I have 3/4 of an acre and I have mowed this monster more than I would like to admit with a push mower. When I found someone to do it for a reasonable fee - I haven't looked back. Plus I am allergic to some of the grass in my yard - so I don't have to pop benedryl just to mow the yard.

Momof2Kidz
05-17-2008, 10:18 AM
We have both. When we lived in RI, we just had the push mower. Now, we have over 3 acres. So, last month, we went and got a riding one.

Shann
05-17-2008, 12:13 PM
we have no grass, it's all "desert landscaping" so no mower at all for us :) but if I had a med-largish yard I'd be all over the riding mower.. but then let's be honest, I don't mow :p

belleofpa
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
We have just about 1/2 an acre and I couldnt live without my riding mower. To much BS trying to do it all with the push one

hotwheelstx
05-17-2008, 01:28 PM
We have the push lawn mower. That's when it's used. I usually call the guy down the street to do our front/back yard for $15.00. He's done in about 30 minutes or less.

janelle
05-17-2008, 01:38 PM
We had a riding mower when we had a huge yard. I liked mowing with it. We sold it when we sold the house since we bought a house with a smaller yard. Look for them at garage sales. We had no room to store one and I think many people get rid of them when they move.

We got a self-propelled self start mower in the smaller yard house. I hate it. It has all the safety features on it so it's hard to make go up a hill or across deep grass. Stupid government regs. If I let go of the handle it stops.

My dad had the old self-propelled and it had power. Pulled me up a hill, just what I needed. Women have no arm strength so I needed a powerful mower to help with the mowing. I don't think you can buy them anymore. And forget about a push mower, it would kill me. I did that for one season and it was rough. It was gas but wouldn't go unless it was pushed.

suprtruckr
05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
whats grass?

Bliss
05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Riding mower

Kyla Kym
05-17-2008, 01:55 PM
We have ba-hey-ya (sp?) grass in our yard. Which is a pain to mow because it's really thick, tough grass that is actually what most people use to grow hay meadows with. We have went through so many push mowers it's not funny in the past 17 years. I even broke the metal housing in half on one from trying to mow the edges of the creek bank. It's not easy to break steel either. But that's just how hard it is to mow our yard. My husband had bought about 5 used riding mowers that were all torn up mowing this yard. So last month we went to Sears and bought a brand new riding mower! With the extended warranty. They have to fix anything that breaks on it, even if it's our fault! I'm so happy that we finally have a decent mower with no worries of it tearing up now. :) We have such a big yard, and it's so hard to mow. We should have did this a long time ago.
Here is the one we got.
http://content.sears.com/ue/home/s_051708_hmpg_AM_14.jpg

galeane29
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Kyla, we have the same tractor.

We have over an acre and thats alot of grass to mow, we definately
prefer a riding tractor.

Momof2Kidz
05-17-2008, 04:54 PM
yep, that is the same mower that Dh picked out. He loves being out mowing the grass now.

Kyla Kym
05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Kyla, we have the same tractor.

We have over an acre and thats alot of grass to mow, we definately
prefer a riding tractor.

How long have you had yours? Is it holding up well? :)

sunrise914
05-17-2008, 07:20 PM
We have 2 acres so we have JD tractor

galeane29
05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
How long have you had yours? Is it holding up well? :)

We got it for my DH on fathers day about 4 years ago and it still runs like new. We love it.