PDA

View Full Version : so frickin what if you don't like my yard !!

gonnascream
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
ok I live in the country and don't have many neighbors but....

somebody I know just commented to me that they thought it was tacky that when they drove by my house I have replaced my flowers with tomato & pepper plants

"gardens are for the backyard girl".....gawd just eat me ok !!! ummmmright now, tomatos, peppers & squash are MORE important than dang flowers !! you can't eat bachelor buttoms you dimwit !!

front yard I have:
red chili pepperes, habaneros, jalepenos, tabascos, cilantro, squash, zucchinni, radish, thyme, basil, dill, beefsteak, better boy, roma & gourds.

Backyard I have:
CORN (omg too much) cantalope, pole beans, bush beans, eggplant, collards, more tomatoes, watermelon & peas

We are going through a depression folks !! tacky or not, you need food not flowers !!

ok, Im done ranting,.

belle5691
05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow! I agree with you. Especially in the country where you don't deal with neighborhoods, HOA's, etc. If someone doesn't like it, their head can turn the other direction!!!!:getyou

iluvmybaby
05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

somebody I know just commented to me that they thought it was tacky that when they drove by my house I have replaced my flowers with tomato & pepper plants

"gardens are for the backyard girl".....gawd just eat me ok !!! ummmmright now, tomatos, peppers & squash are MORE important than dang flowers !! you can't eat bachelor buttoms you dimwit !!

front yard I have:
red chili pepperes, habaneros, jalepenos, tabascos, cilantro, squash, zucchinni, radish, thyme, basil, dill, beefsteak, better boy, roma & gourds.

Backyard I have:
CORN (omg too much) cantalope, pole beans, bush beans, eggplant, collards, more tomatoes, watermelon & peas

We are going through a depression folks !! tacky or not, you need food not flowers !!

ok, Im done ranting,.

When they are hungry you are going to have to beet them offa those tacky plants ((p.s I agree, we are going through a depression, and I don't REALLY think gardens are tacky))

Adra
05-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Good for you just keep doing what you are doing -You're right you need food.

ahippiechic
05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
It's not like those plants are ugly. Some of them will even have blooms for a little while.

magickay
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Wish I could take some of that corn off your hands! Good for you for putting in a garden so your family can benefit from fresh homegrown veggies. Those 'haters' probably eat frozen and canned crap when they're not eating fast food.

:P

Kyla Kym
05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I know what you mean. I hate busy bodies, that are worried more about what I'm doing than what they are doing.
I use to have people say things to me about the hay meadow in front of my house needing cut, and how it looked bad. I showed them, I let it grow up like a forest. I was so happy when hubby's tractor gave out and he couldn't bush hog anymore. I use to hate to go out in my front yard. He had about 3 acres bush hogged and people could see you from the hwy. They would go by and stare, and allot of them would think they had to stop and visit for a spell. Now it looks like a jungle up by the hwy. And we just keep everything mowed around the house for about an acre or so. I can go outside now in my front yard in my gown if I want to now. I feel like I'm living smack dab in the center of the forest. I love it this way. Screw anyone else that don't like my jungle landscape. ;)

Wonder what your busy bodies would think of the green onions I have set out in flower pots on my front porch? :laugh:

jedmatters
05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
No, clotheslines are for the backyard..... just because I do not want my neighbors to take my sheets.

ANY TYPE Gardens are for the front, side, and anywhere else.
I think any growing plant is beautiful.

ilovecats
05-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Jeeze.I could understand if you had trash everywhere but to complain about plants?Some people just like to feel superior I guess.

galeane29
05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
WOOOHOOOO you go girl , tell um!

LoveBugg
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM

front yard I have:

Backyard I have:

ok, Im done ranting,.

Can I come live with you? I love corn and maters. MMMMMM maters....

andreame70
05-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Some people are just too self centered and stupid to understand much of anything. I applaud you for your home garden. It is your yard and you can do with it what you want, especially since you are out in the country. You don't have city ordinances or home owner associations trying to tell you what to do with your own property.

Having a home garden is a lot work! Most people do not appreciate the amount of work that goes in to taking care of one properly. It is an every day job pulling weeds, watering, getting the veggies out when they are ready to come off. Sometimes it can be very challenging to take care of a garden properly, especially if you work outside the home.

Some of my fondest memories are the ones I spent with my Mom and Dad working in the garden in the evenings when we were all at home after school and when they got off work. It was quality time that I will never forget. Long before video games and reality tv took over. I guess I must sound ancient, but I am only 37.

Again, I applaud you for not caring what they think about the garden. Just remember when you sit down and eat the best tasting corn, beans, etc. You are doing so without forking over the outrageous cost your "tacky neighbor" is paying. Bravo! I would almost bet she will be coming around eventually offering to take anything you don't want off your hands.

Angie

dv8grl
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Psshttt.... Tell'em to Piss Off! I can't stand people like that. I too have my vegetable garden in my front yard, because my backyard is almost all shade., my neighbors love that I grow things., because they get all the left-overs.

Nanc952
05-16-2008, 08:17 PM
You are trying to take care of your family who cares what they say. Lots of people love to run other people business.

Not only are you raising food for your family but you are saving gas my not having to mow the yard. If they don't like the look of your place look the other way.

VenuStar
05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
my small garden is in our front yard...no one here has said anything YET

Mary Jo
05-16-2008, 08:33 PM
She must have been jealous.
I hate mowing so my backyard is gradually becoming a large vegetable garden.
Pumpkins are particularly good for taking up lots of room.
Another place I hate to mow is the tree line, that grassy space between the street and sidewalk, so mine is now all purple cone flowers which come back every year. I'm waiting for the city to tell me they're weeds and fine me.
At the price of gas they ought to make it a law that you can only mow your lawn once a month. It might even cut down on global warming.

Corinna
05-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I live in the country too and you ought to see my tacky yard. I put pepper plants in my large flower pots and dug up a little patch in front of my wood pile and planted tomatoes and cucumbers in it. I have a very large flower bed behind my house and it will have veggies in it too. I also put tomato and pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets. While my onions grow in flower boxes. We have a regular garden and a tater patch but it looks like we are going to need everything we can get. I decided that it don't matter what people think, It's my yard and if I won't to plow it up and plant corn in the whole thing they can kiss my a**.

ssgjeg
05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
If you planted too much and have to give away some, she would be the last person I would offer it to. Bet she wonders why too.

Mom2Shaun
05-17-2008, 04:04 AM
I think it's extremely tacky of her to make comments like that! It's none of her business!

cpbaby
05-17-2008, 06:48 AM

front yard I have:

Backyard I have:

ok, Im done ranting,.

AMEN SISTER, AMEN! My sister and I have decided to start buying a few extra canned goods and putting them back. We have a bread machine and as soon as the fence gets moved, we are putting out a big garden at her house.(there are cows in the garden spot right now, no point in planting, but GREAT fertilizer) I will have goats when I move down there and she is getting some chickens. The cows are not milk cows, unfortunately. BUT, I reckon we could go in and buy one, if we decided it was nessecary. I dont care who is elected, this country is gonna get worse before it gets better......it took awhile to get in this shape and a new president wont be able to change it overnight.:stunned

Tell your "friend"(and I use that term loosely) to STFU and get over it. They better hope they have enough sense to put out a garden and know how to work the canner.

magenta
05-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Junk cars in the front yard is tacky! Not plants.

I agree with all the others, piss on the hater!

sunie
05-17-2008, 07:15 AM

front yard I have:

Backyard I have:

ok, Im done ranting,.

I agree we are getting/going through a depression, at our local IGA a head of lettuce is 2.99 unreal.

I live in the country also I have a big old barn that the side faces the road and I'm going to plant on either side, I would hope that since most people around me are farmers that they wouldn't blink an eye over a garden in my "front yard".
Heck I know alot of people around here HAVE gardens in their front yards, and the most anyone says about it is, "look they have a nice garden" really, the only time I would think it Might be an eye sore is if it was over grown and choked with weeds.

Don't worry about it just enjoy your veggies, and laugh when he's paying out the a@@ at the grocery because gas is so high truckers are laid off and stores aren't getting the produce they used to!

Hetty
05-17-2008, 07:52 AM
I had the same problem last week.My lovely neighbor called the lady I am leasing the land off of and told her that I had to pull my Pixie lillies in which I had to pay 20.00 a pop for because she was allergic. First of all if you are allergic don't move out to the boonies where god only knows what grows there. I told my land lady that I was not pulling my lillies which she totally agreed with me. (Misery Loves company but I am not a people person....)
BTW please keep growing your garden and keeping your family happy and healthy.

PinkAquila
05-17-2008, 09:26 AM

front yard I have:

Backyard I have:

ok, Im done ranting,.

On a serious note I envy you alot. I wish I could grow veggies and fruits. My dad and the rest of my family can. But for the life of me I cannot get anything to grow. Even my plastic plants die. I do live next door to my parents so my 3 teen boys are being taught by grandpa how to grow veggies, and fruit trees...etc. All my family says that somehow the green gene didn't find it's way into my pockets...lol

Pink!

ElleGee
05-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd give them something to complain about.. 'Oh you don't like my garden? Well how about this scare crow hanging from a noose off my tree? Would you like that instead?' *middle finger

Eff em. I hate people who have nothing better to do than harrass their neighbors

SLance68
05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Well if growing tomatoes, peppers & radishes in your flower bed is trashy then my Great Grandmother was the queen of trash. She would grow cherry tomatoes and these little red peppers in her "flower" garden. You learned very early on which was which - those peppers would light you up if you just touched them. Keep in mind that her real flower garden was on the back side of her house so that she could look out her kitchen window and see all of her beautiful roses.

My Mom use to grow Japanese Radishes in the flowerbeds and people would ask her where she got those wonderfully beautiful flowers. They were astounded when she would pull on up and offer them a radish.

sunie
05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd give them something to complain about.. 'Oh you don't like my garden? Well how about this scare crow hanging from a noose off my tree? Would you like that instead?' *middle finger

Eff em. I hate people who have nothing better to do than harrass their neighbors
ROFLMFAO OMG :yeah

http://bayimages.net/images/6k/bay005608.jpg

Momof2Kidz
05-17-2008, 10:14 AM
do you live in Winchester?

A few weeks after we moved in, our mailbox was hit by a garbage truck and knocked it down. (It was one of those brick ones). Given that we had just moved from RI to KY, Dh just bought one on a post and put it up.
On Thursday, the neighbor across the way from us (Who has their mailbox on OUR property) said "Don't you think you should replace the mailbox now?" I told him if he had the $200 to replace, it, then I would. That for now, it takes my mail just fine.

Good for you for not backing down. I just don't understand what people think anymore.

baragabrat
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
We have strawberries, tomatoes and peppers planted in the front. Veggies are as pretty as flowers any day and taste better! ;)

Vee030473
05-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Mine is also in the front. My neighbors stopped one day to say," Oh is that how you do your edible gardens in the South?"So I say," I am in Maine,yes I am from the South,so no,this isnt how the South does it,this is how a Southerner in Maine does it,are we clear on that?" So then he and she remark on if I am not worried that critters will eat from the garden with it being in the front yard. So I say,"Well,in the South,our critters must be a little less finicky or a bit smarter,they dont rightly care whether food is in the front yard or the back yard." Dumbasses LOL

tracey74
05-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I would have told my neighbor well Sh*& I knew I should have put the marijuana plants in front here instead of the veggies. and then told her you cant help it that you are so great at growing things and sooo very resourceful for growing them and saving money.lol

gonnascream
05-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks ya'll for the support. I really don't give a $hit what anybody thinks, DH just wants it to look like decent folk live here. Im just trying to maximize our food pantry.

BTW--- Im NOT going to share with them. But I did give our attorney (& hunting buddy) a jar or my famous apple cinnomin jelly, he like it so much he gave me full acess to his cherry trees on his place to make him cherry jelly.

PrincessArky
05-18-2008, 08:09 AM
screw what anyone thinks..........now that being said I am adding flowers daily to my front yard as well as trees because I dont want my neighbors to see me lol IN the back yard I have my veggies and I am hoping to learn to can this year instead of just freezing stuff

Urban Cowgirl
05-18-2008, 08:57 AM
This year we are planting veges where we normally plant annuals, so I guess I am tacky too! LMAO......at least we will have food to eat!

Urban Cowgirl
05-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks ya'll for the support. I really don't give a $hit what anybody thinks, DH just wants it to look like decent folk live here. Im just trying to maximize our food pantry.

BTW--- Im NOT going to share with them. But I did give our attorney (& hunting buddy) a jar or my famous apple cinnomin jelly, he like it so much he gave me full acess to his cherry trees on his place to make him cherry jelly.

Ohhh yum cherry jelly!! We don't have cherries here!

ahippiechic
05-18-2008, 09:24 AM
That's one thing I miss about living in TN, we always had a garden and I canned so much stuff from it.

hotwheelstx
05-18-2008, 09:27 AM
A couple of years ago Aggie and I planted red peppers and tomatoes in our front yard....better sun, down time. HOA made us take them down. I still don't understand it. Was awfully funny the next year when we planted again the same people that complained about the "food" in our front yard....came and asked if they could have what we were growing in the back. NO THEY DIDN'T GET ANYTHING......Ignorant people.

sunie
05-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey you wanna talk about tacky? I have gnomes in my front yard and I love em....Now back to canning I love to can veggies and make pickles but I haven't tried my hand at jellies, jams etc, so if anyone on here lives in the west and knows how to make prickley pear jelly please let me know and send me some...OMG it's just something you have to try it's so good, cherry sounds good also never have tried it.

earnhardt1
05-18-2008, 02:56 PM
DH works at a greenhouse so we get to plant whatever we want he boss lets me go pick my plants..... we put peppers in tubs on the porch last year we had a garden that was huge but we ended up with more than needed between 2 families.............
tell them kiss your azz,that you can grow what you want where u want

ElleGee
05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
We just dug a very small patch next to the compost heap last week and planted jalapeno & serano peppers.. Plus some cilantro.. That's all we have room for b/c the patch is so tiny..

Me and the dh decided to grow our own hops ( for our beer hobby) b/c there is a hops shortage and it's easy to do :)

Urban Cowgirl
05-18-2008, 04:49 PM
What is hops?

Hetty
05-18-2008, 06:15 PM
First off they make beer with hops barley yeast and sugar.....Secondly about the tacky part I want to get some pink flamingos yes very tacky and yes that is the look I am going for I know crazy right If anyone knows where I can get them even second hand will do....please let me know and I really want to see what my neighbor has to say seeing how she hates lillies....lol

Kelsey1224
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Jeeze.I could understand if you had trash everywhere but to complain about plants?Some people just like to feel superior I guess.

I so totally agree with this. Good for you for planting a garden!! It is a lot of work!

DewGirl
05-19-2008, 04:10 AM
You Go Girl! Hey, if they don't like it...Don't Look!
It's nobody's business...if everyone would just mind their on business!
If I had a green thumb, I would have a vegetable garden instead of flowers! With the price of produce (as well as everything else) you're going to be the one smiling in the grocery line!

Rogerslmc
05-19-2008, 05:57 AM
First off they make beer with hops barley yeast and sugar.....Secondly about the tacky part I want to get some pink flamingos yes very tacky and yes that is the look I am going for I know crazy right If anyone knows where I can get them even second hand will do....please let me know and I really want to see what my neighbor has to say seeing how she hates lillies....lol

$11.99 @ Target!

http://www.smarter.com/---se--qq-Plastic%2BPink%2BFlamingos.html

ElleGee
05-19-2008, 06:17 AM
First off they make beer with hops barley yeast and sugar.....

There is no barley in our beer .At least not in the first 2 types we brewed. We use malt based beer recipies. Sugar comes in later and has nothing to do with the brewing process. Sugar is a clarifier and carbonator

I found out the zone I am in is perfect to grow hops.. Hops are a flower that grows on huge vines. we have to take down a tee to get optimal light. THe tree is dangerous anyway.

Hetty
05-19-2008, 07:14 AM
$11.99 @ Target!

http://www.smarter.com/---se--qq-Plastic%2BPink%2BFlamingos.html

We don't have a Target with in 70 miles of us. (I know sad) I have found some but they are made of cloth so that the wind can blow them. I need something that can with stand the test of a 4 yr old who thinks that she must ride or try to ride all my yard decore,and a 1yr old pot bellied pig...
Thanks though I guess I can just go take sunies gnomes...lol:rofl:

mosdata1
05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
I admire your ability to grow a garden. Since having children I seem to kill all my plants. I have not tried a garden in the past 3 years, but am trying again this year - the price of porduce is just too high, and we are a family of 5.

sunie
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks though I guess I can just go take sunies gnomes...lol:rofl:

KEEP YOUR MITTS OFF MY GNOMES, TRY TO TOUCH THEM THEY WILL COME ALIVE AND HURT YOU!!!!! ANYWAY THEY'RE FAMILY AND HAVE NAMES......GARY AND RONNY:threaten

Hetty
05-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok Ok I won't touch them.....Calm down you get your blood pressure up...lol
But I am sure my neighbor would love them...lol If you find flamingos let me know...

sunie
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I'll look at Pamida for ya hetty but you can't have the gnomes ;)

Hetty
05-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I would like that very much since I am having rob dig a pond I am going to put flamingos around it.....plus flamingos are a staple in tacky lawn decore.

jedmatters
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I am UBER Tacky.

I have a garden of flamingoes (22 of them) in my front yard.

sunie
05-19-2008, 01:40 PM
jedmatters don't get that girl going on her flamingoes!! i think she's beginning to become obsessed with anoying her neighbor LOL. Now she's going to be hitting you up for a flamingo now that she knows you have 2:D

Hetty
05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
http://th32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/junebabies/May%202008/th_DSCF1907.jpg

I am not obsessed about annoying the neighbor(ok a tiny bit )but I really like them. I will have them oh yes i will have them.

sallycat1
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I have a front yard garden too.Last year the kids planted cucumber and tomato.Many neighbors had no idea since we planted flowers around them.We live on a very busy road,and we are not part of a neighborhood(it's across the street from us).I dug a semi-cricle in the front yard,and planted tall grasses and broom corn to block out the busy road. In the inside of the circle we have our gardens and play.We also grew a variety of lettuce and herbs in a circle plot.

Our back yard gets flooded and has a septic,so we really like being able to use the front. The first year we owned the house I just mowed the lawn in the front,and other than that we never used it.The second year I said the heck with it and started digging it up.We love it. It is just so much better than just having a lawn.Next year we are adding more berry bushes!

LitWtch
06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I have Skela-mingos that glow in the dark.....

stresseater
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Junk cars in the front yard is tacky! Not plants.

I agree with all the others, piss on the hater!

Hey, I resemble that remark. :whistle Seriously, ever seen Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck yard of the week? I know for a fact we could have been on that segment. Until a junk guy came by a few months ago we had 9 different dead cars in the yard. We have 53 acres and all around the house is stuff. Looks like Fred Sanford's yard. Matter of fact, the theme song for Sanford and Son is my ring tone(no, really it is) I live in the boonies and this is my house, it is a work in progress literally(as we are still slowly remodeling the place) If people don't like it then don't look. ;) :laugh:

Anig2u
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark. :whistle Seriously, ever seen Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck yard of the week? I know for a fact we could have been on that segment. Until a junk guy came by a few months ago we had 9 different dead cars in the yard. We have 53 acres and all around the house is stuff. Looks like Fred Sanford's yard. Matter of fact, the theme song for Sanford and Son is my ring tone(no, really it is) I live in the boonies and this is my house, it is a work in progress literally(as we are still slowly remodeling the place) If people don't like it then don't look. ;) :laugh:

hahahahahahaha

jerseybarb
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
...........front yard I have:

Backyard I have:

Hey, when's dinner? LOL I don't have a green thumb but veggies are nice to look at (and to eat) I have only had collards once but I LOVED them. Husband wont eat what he considers to be "weird" vegetables, so I have to wait for potluck dinners and hope someone brings "greens"