PDA

View Full Version : Man fined for buckling in beer, not child

Jenefer3
05-13-2008, 06:40 AM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-australia/20080513/ODD.Australia.Beer.Belt/

DARWIN, Australia — An Australian man has been fined after buckling in a case of beer with a seat belt but leaving a 5-year-old child to sit on the car's floor, police said Tuesday.

Constable Wayne Burnett said he was "shocked and appalled" when he pulled over the unregistered car Friday in the central Australian town of Alice Springs.

The 30-can beer case was strapped in between two adults sitting in the back seat of the car. The child was also in back, but on the car's floor.

"The child was sitting in the lump in the center, unrestrained," Burnett told reporters Tuesday.

"I haven't ever seen something like this before," he said. "This is the first time that the beer has taken priority over a child."

The driver was fined 750 Australian dollars — about $710 — for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and for failing to ensure a child was wearing a safety belt.

flute
05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
What are people thinking?

galeane29
05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Deja vu

I swear I read this story awhile back.

galeane29
05-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Yep, I knew it.
They must be related.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/02/07/woman-buckles-up-beer-but-not-kid/

You know that one time you thought you buckled your child in their car seat only to realize in horror later you hadn't actually latched the belt, you were on autopilot and somehow forgot that step and you still feel horrible about it? Well, you're fine.

A woman in Florida was arrested after police stopped her for running a red light and discovered that while the case of beer in the passenger side of the car was safely belted in, the sixteen month old girl in the back seat was not.

After finding a couple of metal pipes commonly used for smoking drugs in the driver's purse, she was arrested and charged with driving under the influence, child abuse, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving without a license.

What I don't understand is why the girl's mother, who was sitting in the back seat with the toddler while her drunk/high friend drove, wasn't charged with anything. Anyone have an idea?

CLARKS4
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
It doesnt surprise me.

starlite763
05-13-2008, 02:19 PM
OK not to be funny but are we getting shortchanged- OUR CASE OF BEER ONLY HAS 24 IN IT!!!!

PrincessArky
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
wow too bad morons have children

JKATHERINE
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
What an idiot!

JKATHERINE
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
OK not to be funny but are we getting shortchanged- OUR CASE OF BEER ONLY HAS 24 IN IT!!!!

We have 30 packs here in Maine...

ilovecats
05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Deja vu

I swear I read this story awhile back.

lmao That was my first thought too.:rofl: