PDA

View Full Version : IRRESPONSIBLE State & Medical Facilities!

atprm
05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Thousands Of Health Records Found
Woman Buys Building, Finds Health Records

POSTED: 7:04 pm EDT May 9, 2008
UPDATED: 7:37 pm EDT May 9, 2008
DETROIT, Mich. -- Thousands of medical files have been found in a building on Detroit’s East Side.

Latrice Crispell bought the building at an auction last year, and when she went to clean it out, she discovered all the records.

The building was used as storage for the Primary Care Medical Center, which now operates under the name, “Hayes Medical Clinic.”

The files were more than 15 years old, according to the medical center's office manager and were no longer their responsibility.

Crispell said, “He checked with the state. The files are over 10 years old and just throw them out in the trash. I told him I couldn’t do that.”

In the files, Crispell found driver's license numbers, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth.

And much to her surprise, she found her own medical files and files on some of her family members.

Crispell showed Local 4 the files and said, “I pulled out the file and said, ‘Oh that’s my name.’”

Local 4 tracked down the sister of a woman whose name was on the files.

The woman lives in Virginia now but her sister was quite surprised when she heard what happened.

She said, “You don't know what's happening with your information; where it's being left; and whose hands it’s getting into. People can use this information.”

The doctor whose name appears on some of the files said they are not legally required to keep the files past seven years.

But he told Local 4 he is going to make sure the files are properly destroyed.

atprm
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Can you imagine what medical practices do with your files and information when they are "done with it" nationwide???

This definitely contributes to identity theft!

Mom2Shaun
05-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Wow! I thought they had to have it professionally shredded. I've seen companies around here that do that for all sensitive records. I would certainly consider medical records to be sensitive!

flute
05-10-2008, 02:11 AM
This definitely contributes to identity theft!

I'm confident it does but the gov't sure doesn't care