PDA

View Full Version : Not what you want to hear --not what I wanted to hear tonight myself

atprm
05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
they said on the news tonight that in less than 2 years, we can EXPECT regular unleaded gasoline to "top out" at $7.00 per gallon!

Your reaction is probably close to my own -- and can be said in 2 words -- F*** No!

poggles3
05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
they said on the news tonight that in less than 2 years, we can EXPECT regular unleaded gasoline to "top out" at $7.00 per gallon!

Your reaction is probably close to my own -- and can be said in 2 words -- F*** No!

................just want to add an amen to that!

gmyers
05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I really hope they're exaggerating. There's no way we can afford that. Can you imagine what food and heating fuel and light bills will be if that happens.

atprm
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah, we will be just like parts of Italy and all of Japan... everyone on Rikshaws and bikes or mopeds.

Beso
05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I better get my hitch hike thumb ready.

I said some choice words when it went up to $2 a gallon. (long time ago) I can't even imagine it being $7 a gallon!

suprtruckr
05-08-2008, 08:36 PM
yeah, we will be just like parts of Italy and all of Japan... everyone on Rikshaws and bikes or mopeds.

:rolling and you poke fun about my jazzy ;)

galeane29
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought it was a hoveround....

nanajoanie
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I'll just ad many baskets to my scooter which runs on batteries. It's a lot like suprtruckr's jazzy. Gas is predicted that it will go to $4.00 a gallon by the end of this year around here.

hblueeyes
05-09-2008, 02:20 AM
It is already 4 a gallon by me

Me

MsLynn
05-09-2008, 03:48 AM
well all they are doing is driving single working mothers like me to welfare....there is no way i'll be able to afford to go to work at that rate

PrincessArky
05-09-2008, 03:56 AM
I have heard it was gonna hit 5 by the end of this year so it really doesnt shock me.....I paid 3.65 a gallon yesterday

galeane29
05-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Well lets see, the crude oil is already over $120 a barrel and look at the prices now. It's been said that crude will be $200 a barrel in the near future.
Its getting pretty scary.

Thawn
05-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Wow.. forget about driving around to look for a bargain or driving the kids anywhere!

ilikefree
05-09-2008, 05:41 AM
well all they are doing is driving single working mothers like me to welfare....there is no way i'll be able to afford to go to work at that rate

Maybe T will find you a nice husband like he did for Davesbabydoll ;)

magenta
05-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Ours went up to $3.69 yesterday. $7.00 I could not do that! Minimum wage is $7.15. Can you imagine how that would be for the people that only make min. wage!

Since we live almost in the boonies, a moped would not work for us! lol

DH's boss was telling him yesterday that he is going to give the guys a raise because of the gas & grocery prices. I am hoping he sticks to it, it won't make a difference with prices going up but hopefully it will keep us even.

Momof2Kidz
05-09-2008, 07:04 AM
it is $3.75 around here. It is NUTS. We went down to 1 car for now. Dh has it for work. If I need it during the week, I can take him to work and then go do whatever I need. I told him that otherwise, whatever errands need to be done, we can do on Saturdays. It is CRAZY!

galeane29
05-09-2008, 07:06 AM
The car dealerships in our area are getting desperate to sell vehicles. I just saw a commercial lastnight stating that if you buy a Nissan pickup you get a Nissan car for free , If you buy a dodge pickup you get a Charger for free.

whatever
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
The goverment caused this IMO due to the war. If you look back when the gas started to go up so fast. so they need to stop it!!

Jenefer3
05-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Yikes, I can't afford $5 or more a gallon for gas. My aunt sent me an email that shows an oil sheik's house...must be nice to live like that. I'd post the pics here but there are too many of them..guess if you want to see them you could always let me know and I could forward them.

Something has got to be done about the gas prices..it's getting out of control

GlitterBug
05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
It's up to $3.89 a gallon here in Michigan :(

mirage7000
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Time for horse and buggy! Almost wish I was Amish!

atprm
05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
It's up to $3.89 a gallon here in Michigan :(

just rolled past more than a few stations -- all are above the $4.00 mark.

I have half a tank -- we also, parked one car ... dh's minivan which is horrid on mpg...we use my Lumina Euro and I take him to work (5 miles away).

I don't know how we are going to afford gasoline -- we can only "cut" so much out. We already gave up cable and dish... got the $40 check from the tv thingie and use that for television...honestly, it's not bad! It would be better if we had an antenna on top of the house...

atprm
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
You want a shocker??

This is for 1 liter of gasoline in Canada -- there are 3.78 liters to a US Gallon. Canada does not sell in Gallons -- only Liters.

http://www.ontariogasprices.com/Windsor/index.aspx

$124.1 is the lowest price for the Liter in Windsor, Ontario, Canada....
(it is the equivalent of $123.62 American).

$124.1 x 3.78 = $469.90 Canadian Dollars for EACH gallon of gas which is the equivalent to $468.07 American -- PER GALLON!!

It's enough to make you sick!!

Now, if the website listing for $124.1 is already converted to a US Gallon instead of a Liter, then it would cost you $123.62 American to get 1 gallon of gasoline.

Either way... THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH MONEY FOR GASOLINE!!!

BBELEAZAHR
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
that sure is scary to think about it going that high:(

atprm
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
well we aren't going to Canada next weekend!!!

I feel physically ill now. :(

poggles3
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM

You are completly correct, not to mention even two parent families and tons of others.
My husband is a foreman and makes $20 an hour, which sounds amazing to alot of people, hell it did to me for awhile. Now, I'm a stay at home mom we have 3 boys, a car payment (no we cant live without 2 vehicles) propane is $250/mo on their so called "budget plan", plus our electric, groceries, mortgage, etc. We are literally living week to week right now, we were doing fine until around January. It's not like I can give up my car, I have 2 babies in diapers at home, if one is sick or i need something I have to be able to go get it, dh leaves by 430am an wont come home till after 6 pm one vehicle wont work and no im not taking three kids out at 4am to drive 22miles to work then pick him up again!! Two cars are a necessity and we have cut back almost everything we can, it's just not working for us, there are so many people out there making way less than us and it scares me because I cant imagine how awful it is for them and their children. I worry as it is and I know what its like to be a single parent on minimum wage as well, its hard and very stressful. I pray that everyone can find a way to get through this, or that our government finds a way to help everyone, however unlikely it seems I can still hope.

suprtruckr
05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
You want a shocker??

This is for 1 liter of gasoline in Canada -- there are 3.78 liters to a US Gallon. Canada does not sell in Gallons -- only Liters.

http://www.ontariogasprices.com/Windsor/index.aspx

$124.1 is the lowest price for the Liter in Windsor, Ontario, Canada....
(it is the equivalent of $123.62 American).

$124.1 x 3.78 = $469.90 Canadian Dollars for EACH gallon of gas which is the equivalent to $468.07 American -- PER GALLON!!

It's enough to make you sick!!

Now, if the website listing for $124.1 is already converted to a US Gallon instead of a Liter, then it would cost you $123.62 American to get 1 gallon of gasoline.

Either way... THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH MONEY FOR GASOLINE!!!

i could be wrong but i think the decimel is in the wrong place in that list

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Gas is not that expensive in Canada.We have been there alot,and it never was that outrageous. In Canada gas is bought cents per litre not dollar per litre.The numbers are right...just not the monetary symbol. Here is a chart on gas prices,ours compared with other countries...
Most expensive places to buy gas
Rank Country Price/gal
1. Bosnia-Herzegovina $10.86
2. Eritrea $9.58
3. Norway $8.73
4. United Kingdom $8.38
5. Netherlands $8.37
6. Monaco $8.31
7. Iceland $8.28
8. Belgium $8.22
9. France $8.07
10. Germany $7.86
111. United States $3.45
Source: AIRINC
Just wanted to add,gas has always been more expensive in European countries.

galeane29
05-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Good God Almighty

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 11:49 AM
This one is on the cheapest places for gas...Where gasoline is cheapest
Rank Country Price/gal
1. Venezuela 12 cents
2. Iran 40 cents
3. Saudi Arabia 45 cents
4. Libya 50 cents
5. Swaziland 54 cents
6. Qatar 73 cents
7. Bahrain 81 cents
8. Egypt 89 cents
9. Kuwait 90 cents
10. Seychelles 98 cents
45. United States $3.45

155 countries surveyed between March 17 and April 1, 2008.

atprm
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
i could be wrong but i think the decimel is in the wrong place in that list

Gas is not that expensive in Canada.We have been there alot,and it never was that outrageous. In Canada gas is bought cents per litre not dollar per litre.

well, I hate to disappoint -- and wish I could be wrong, but here is another site that tracks gas in Ontario --

http://sw.on.gastips.com/region?id=windschat

Their site says 149.0

Ok, did further digging found NBC which claims that Canada (not necessarily Windsor, Ontario -- which is typically MORE expensive) -- is $1.27 a liter, which is roughly $6 American.

But I can't imagine that both other websites have the decimal in the wrong place.

And if you think that Canadian Gas is cheap, you shouldn't be here complaining about US gas prices.

mirage7000
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Live about 20 minutes away from Canada. Nope staying away. People from Canada were flooding the malls here when the dollar exchange was good. I'm not paying for the toll and pay to get a passport now. I realy enjoyed it there a few years back.

buglebe
05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
It is going to change the way all of us live. There will be cut backs on short trips to the grocery store just for one or more items, more walking, hopefully, more neighborhood stores, less of a lot of things. Yes it is going to hurt everyone, not just single moms, but retired people on fixed incomes who thought they had things worked out too.

atprm
05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
are you close to Windsor? It's kind of a desolate city compared to Michigan cities, but it's clean...just not affordable.

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 12:16 PM
well, I hate to disappoint -- and wish I could be wrong, but here is another site that tracks gas in Ontario --

Their site says 149.0

Ok, did further digging found NBC12 which claims that Canada (not necessarily Windsor, Ontario -- which is typically MORE expensive) -- is $1.27 a liter, which is roughly $6 American.

But I can't imagine that both other websites have the decimal in the wrong place.

It is by CENTS not the DOLLAR. My family and I have been to Canada quite alot since moving to Maine in June 2005 and while it has gone up,it has not been like that or even like our gas prices. When you go to petrol (gas) station in Canada,the price you see quoted is in CENTS,like one hundred CENTS which will equal one DOLLAR. //http://www.gasticker.com/pricelist.php?location=46. You can check all of Canada's gas prices and please note... it is in CENTS not DOLLARS. (//http://www.gasticker.com/pricelist.php?location=46)

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Their site says 149.0

Ok, did further digging found NBC12 which claims that Canada (not necessarily Windsor, Ontario -- which is typically MORE expensive) -- is $1.27 a liter, which is roughly $6 American.

It is by CENTS not the DOLLAR. My family and I have been to Canada quite alot since moving to Maine in June 2005 and while it has gone up,it has not been like that or even like our gas prices. When you go to petrol (gas) station in Canada,the price you see quoted is in CENTS,like one hundred CENTS which will equal one DOLLAR. http://www.gasticker.com/pricelist.php?location=46it is in CENTS not DOLLARS.[/URL]

atprm
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
UGH!! Stupid BBS... won't let me click to page 4 of this thread.

gives an error about style headers.

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Their site says 149.0

It is by CENTS not the DOLLAR. My family and I have been to Canada quite alot since moving to Maine in June 2005 and while it has gone up,it has not been like our gas prices. When you go to petrol (gas) station in Canada,the price you see quoted is in CENTS,like one hundred CENTS which will equal one DOLLAR. The price of 149.0 is in CENTS. Odd I know and confusing as hell when you are an American visiting there the first time. When we were there a little over a month ago,it was around $ 1.25 a liter,and it takes 3.75 liters to equal a gallon.

Vee030473
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Their site says 149.0

It is by CENTS not the DOLLAR. My family and I have been to Canada quite alot since moving to Maine in June 2005 and while it has gone up,it has not been like our gas prices. When you go to petrol (gas) station in Canada,the price you see quoted is in CENTS,like one hundred CENTS which will equal one DOLLAR. The price of 149.0 is in CENTS. Odd I know and confusing as hell when you are an American visiting there the first time. When we were there a little over a month ago,it was around $ 1.25 a liter,and it takes 3.75 liters to equal a gallon.

atprm
05-09-2008, 02:51 PM
there are almost 4 liters to a gallon (the technical number is 3.78 liters in 1 gallon), and you are witnessing not Windsor Ontario prices... I can't imagine that you went to Canada through Detroit and Windsor.

Just like there are different prices for gasoline in Michigan versus Ohio, Indiana and California...they aren't uniform.

If you got gas that cheap in Canada, consider yourself blessed, because in these parts that simply is not the case.

ma4angels
05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
It is hitting everyone hard. My dh business is going slow. He is a contractor. He does additions. remodels, decks and etc. He does build houses but he is not a class A he is just B. I don't think it matters right now it is hurting everyone. People think that just because building materials are going up the labor is suppose to stay the same. I went back to work just to bring some income in when he isn't busy. The gas prices are ridiclious and keeps get worse.

suprtruckr
05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
UGH!! Stupid BBS... won't let me click to page 4 of this thread.

gives an error about style headers.

i got that error alot myself

tracey74
05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
last yeart gas in canada was over $5 a gallon(I know people who live there) heck its 3.89 here and in some places fits like 3.99,4.09 and 4.19 our taxes on gas is $.18 i think it is here in wv my area is a small town and our gas costs more than most of the bigger areas and we dont have public transportation like the bigger cities do. and as for walking to the grocery store its too far and no safe place to walk even if it was closer(no sidewalks out of town limits) we cant afford a car,insurance and gas we pay someone to take us shopping which sucks but could afford a car and stuff on our own.the government needs to help out our own country and to heck with the other countries it might sound cruel but its true we need it just as bad as other countries and were becoming a 3rd world country fast IMO.jobs in my area are hard enough to come by and minimum wage here is still only $5.85
it hasnt raised (supposed to raise in july i think) so and places arent close together like in bigger cities so we dont have much in this area which makes it harder to live

GaPeachy
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
My husband just filled up the tank on our grand am and it cost $42 and some change!!!I could see how to some people that could totally be devastating!!$3.69 a gallon.

MsLynn
05-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe T will find you a nice husband like he did for Davesbabydoll ;)

oh i could never hope for someone that rich and handsome

galeane29
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I went into town this morning to get groceries. Gas is up TWENTY cents more than it was on monday. $3.62

iluvmybaby
05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
We live in a rural community, we are literally up the creek with no paddle. The cost of owning a car is OUTRAGEOUS, let alone gas. We have no public transportation, and no local jobs, so you have to have a car ((nothing is within walking/biking distance)) Gas is $3.68, I drive 35 miles round trip to the closest job in my area, where I make TN minimum wage. Literally, my first hour and a half is going to paying for my gas, another hour is going to state taxes, which leaves about 5.5 hours left that actually go to me. Sad, but true!