PDA

View Full Version : Dave Pelzer

G'maDebbie
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I have really debated on whether or not to post this, but I have to get it off my chest.
If you do not know who Dave Pelzer is, he was a victim of child abuse by his own mother, it has been stated that his case was 3rd worst ever seen in the United States, the other 2 victims (different families) died. Mr. Pelzer has written many books about his life with his mother.
My daughter has read all of his books, she has cried her eyes out over what he went thru and has had a special place in her heart for him for many years. Well, her school along with other social groups raised $15,000.00 to pay for his appearance. My daughter came home in tears.
My daughter said and I quote her " Mom, he is the most arrogant ass I have ever seen."
I am not really sure what his "speech" was suppose to be about, but it was NOTHING like what the teachers and students thought it was going to be.

He made a statement something like this: I have met this celebrity, that celebrity, I have acomplished this and that, oh and by the way, my mother forgot to feed me for 2 weeks....and your problems are what?!

Now dont get me wrong, I feel for what the man has been thru, but he was talking to students and teachers who are taking phsycology and child development classes. WHen one student asked him if he ever forgave his mother, Mr. Pelzer replied....I thought MY people told you I wasnt talking about that today! What the heck? As I said, the students and staff as well are still very confused as to what his "speech" was about....other than the fact of being arrogant and not telling them anything they wanted to hear.
Ok, now I have let it all out......how would you feel about this?

atprm
05-08-2008, 01:17 PM
um, his supposed true life story books are a work of fiction.

He was "proved" wrong several years ago. While it was proved that he was abused, it wasn't nearly as bad as he wrote in the books.

freeby4me
05-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Wow that just seems so wrong. Why else would people want him to come and speak? And to charge that kind of money, jeez louise. Nope, I dont blame your daughter one bit.

G'maDebbie
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM

He was "proved" wrong several years ago. While it was proved that he was abused, it wasn't nearly as bad as he wrote in the books.

Are you serious? OMG! My daughter would be TORE up if she knew that!

suprtruckr
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
he was a victim of child abuse by his own mother, it has been stated that his case was 3rd worst ever seen in the United States, the other 2 victims (different families) died.
he sounds like an ass
btw,
who was the other 2 victims?

G'maDebbie
05-08-2008, 01:42 PM
he sounds like an ass
btw,
who was the other 2 victims?

Im not really sure, that's just what the paper said...of course he isnt going to say who they were either, he might lose a few bucks!

suprtruckr
05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
i'm not familiar with him or his book, but IMO "IF" he was abused to the point he says he was it would (or should?) have been on the networks at one time, there was a child abuse case here in the early to mid 70's that made the national news

ladybugva
05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
he wrote the book "A child called 'IT'" He was on Oprah. I don't watch her but when I googled him that was one of the links that came up.

justme23
05-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Actually, (and I know you didn't say Oprah, but someone else did), it was James Frey who was proved to have been a liar. Not Dave Pelzer. I am searching, though and all I can find is speculation from various bloggers... so if I'm wrong, can you show me, please? I never heard about his being fiction and coming from an abusive home... well, this is a big deal to me.

ahippiechic
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Child_Called_%22It%22

That tells a little about the controversy over the book, down at the bottom and also has a link to another article about it.

atprm
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9404E4DE1538F93BA15754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

this happened long before the Frey dude.

About 7 years ago I read the first book, then shortly thereafter, the stories came out that the person who "edited" the book and changed the book was his publicist name Marsha -- who was sleeping with the guy and later became his 2nd wife -- she embelished the story to make it "more believable like it comes from a child".

I am looking for the other news sources regarding it.

ilovecats
05-08-2008, 06:04 PM

I am really hoping you are wrong.Not saying you are but I would be so shocked if I found that out.Actually devastated is probably a better word.

G'maDebbie;I am sorry,My daughter is a big fan of the books too.In his books he seems like such a nice guy.She would be horrified by that behaviour too.

cpbaby
05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9404E4DE1538F93BA15754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

this happened long before the Frey dude.

About 7 years ago I read the first book, then shortly thereafter, the stories came out that the person who "edited" the book and changed the book was his publicist name Marsha -- who was sleeping with the guy and later became his 2nd wife -- she embelished the story to make it "more believable like it comes from a child".

I am looking for the other news sources regarding it.

I have heard this before. If you read all three within days of each other(which I am really bad about doing) you will see the inconsistancies. Im not saying that they are glaring, but it is enough to make me go Hmmmmmmmmmmm............

Heidi
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I read all three of the books in about 6 days when we were traveling from WA to VA by car. I don't remember any inconsistancies and I found them very believable. It would be a shame if they really weren't true. They are still well written books, but should have been labeled as fiction.