PDA

View Full Version : vet bills

katzenberg
05-08-2008, 05:12 AM
my cat has a huge cist on her arm and it will proably cost me any where from 5to 6 hundred dollars to get it removed .i am hoping this vet i used to go will help by charge less.i go to morrow to him and then i will know what i have to come up with .if it was you animal what would you do.

Vee030473
05-08-2008, 05:25 AM
I would pay for it to be done. I know it is alot of money but that is the burden of responsibility we take on when we bring animals into our lives. I do hope your veterinarian will help you with the cost by letting you make payments. The best of luck to you!

Lild
05-08-2008, 05:59 AM
I recently had to go through the whole calling vets for a dog I found to see if someone would work with me, none would....Good luck trying to find someone:)

Willow
05-08-2008, 06:04 AM
My cats are like family so I would definitely have it taken care of.

hotwheelstx
05-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Without hesitation I would do it. I'm lucky the vet we have has known most of my pets over the 20 years of going to her. She'll take payments. Good luck.

Mary_Jo3
05-08-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure what kind of cist it is, but a couple of my dogs, as they got older, got what the vet called fatty cists and he would take them off if I wanted but it would be cosmetic, the only reason he wanted to take them off is if the dog started chewing/scratching it or it started draining. O.D. (short for "other dog", we were not going to keep him, ya right) had one right on the side of his neck, but his long hair covered most of it, my girl had several on her tummy that looked half the size of a golf ball, we had one removed from her leg near her knee that bothered her. My boxer had one on his leg, came up real fast, he started chewing on it and the vet took it off, the only problem was it took so much skin it wouldn't stay closed. So we had to put this medicine on it that looked like it had sand in it to make a scab and it healed nicely. My sisters dogs are huskys and one has the same thing and the vet insists on taking them off, he's older too and putting him under to remove them is really hard on him. I love my vet he was always so good to us, one in a million, but if it didn't effect their health he didn't think it needed to be done and would tell you so. Maybe another opinoin?

BigLyd1
05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
My only suggestion would be if you knew of a veterinarian office where they had an intern. Sometimes they will charge less. We knew of a friend who was an intern and got lucky when our cat needed surgery a couple months ago.

Jackie_Blu
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I would pay for it to be done. I know it is alot of money but that is the burden of responsibility we take on when we bring animals into our lives. I do hope your veterinarian will help you with the cost by letting you make payments. The best of luck to you!

ITA

cathych
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
your animal is like your child. If this was your child, wouldnt you pay to have it done, no questions asked?

klutzie56
05-08-2008, 11:22 AM
My sister has a beagle/mix. She has a large fatty tumor on her back leg which she cannot get at. The vet first stuck a needle in it to see if it was cancer. It is growing very fast but she is 11 years old. It does'nt seem to bother her but looks awful.

justme23
05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I would find a way to come up w/ it if it's possible. I know it's a lot, we just had to pay almost 600 on a very sick dog and it really hurt but I was thankful we were in a position to be able to do it. I know what it's like to not be in a position to afford them. We lost a cat we couldn't afford and never should have adopted cause of having no money and no one to help us. Everyone offered to put him down real cheap but no one would help him heal. Anyways, my only suggestion would be to call the aspca and see if they may have some cheaper rates and if they will help you.

evrita
05-08-2008, 07:31 PM
My female boxer tore her ACL she needs to have it fixed to the tune of 475.00-500.00 and we took her in for the surgery tunrs out she poss did the same thing to the other leg so double the cost. Am I thinking twice about it nope. It is hard and expensive but like everyone else said that are like our kids

Thawn
05-09-2008, 07:35 AM
A cyst? My cats have had cysts that have gone away after awhile. That is more money than I can afford for a cyst. A broken leg, eye infection, sure there are lots of things I would bring my pet to the vet for..but a cyst? Have you tried the local DRs at the town animal shelter? They are usually the cheapest?

bichonlove
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Is there a vet school in your area? That helps with the cost- also ask the Vets you call about any programs to subsidize treatments for animals. I know there is a group but cannot remember the name. My animals are my children, but I also know what you mean about the finances. Everyone can tell you what YOU should do, but in the end, the decision has to be yours and yours alone. I know in my area, vets will not take payments and so now being on social security disability it makes us hard or almost impossible to help our "fur kids" if something major happens.

SLance68
05-09-2008, 10:47 AM
My female boxer tore her ACL she needs to have it fixed to the tune of 475.00-500.00 and we took her in for the surgery tunrs out she poss did the same thing to the other leg so double the cost. Am I thinking twice about it nope. It is hard and expensive but like everyone else said that are like our kids

My brother went through the same thing with his Beagle. The vet said that once the first one was fixed the dog was putting all his weight on the other leg and it was very common for them to tear the ACL in the second leg.

I had a Lab that got cysts all the time when he was older and if they caused a problem the vet would remove them but if they didn't bother him and he didn't mess with them he would just check them and leave them alone. Our vet doesn't like to operate on older animals unless it is absolutely necessary. And my Lab lived to be 16 years old (kinda old for that big of a dog).

buglebe
05-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Everyone can not afford 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a pet. And I don't think this means they shouldn't have pets. Think about all the pets that have homes but the person who owns it couldn't pay that much money to have something done for it. I think if the cyst isn't bothering the animal then it is fine. If it is bothering the animal but they can't afford the money to fix it then they should just put it down. If everyone who owed a pet who didn't have 5 or 6 hundred dollars to have something corrected about it took them to the pound there would be a lot of pets with no home. Yes our pets are our family but some people would barely be able to come up with 5 or 6 hundred dollars to have a cyst removed from a child's arm or leg. If you can't afford to have the cyst removed do which ever is the humaine thing. And don't have regrets. You gave the animal a home until now. Some things are just unfortunate.

sunniekiss
05-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Everyone can not afford 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a pet. And I don't think this means they shouldn't have pets. Think about all the pets that have homes but the person who owns it couldn't pay that much money to have something done for it. I think if the cyst isn't bothering the animal then it is fine. If it is bothering the animal but they can't afford the money to fix it then they should just put it down. If everyone who owed a pet who didn't have 5 or 6 hundred dollars to have something corrected about it took them to the pound there would be a lot of pets with no home. Yes our pets are our family but some people would barely be able to come up with 5 or 6 hundred dollars to have a cyst removed from a child's arm or leg. If you can't afford to have the cyst removed do which ever is the humaine thing. And don't have regrets. You gave the animal a home until now. Some things are just unfortunate.

WOW!!! I do understand where you are coming from...trust me I do. However IMHO & this is ONLY my opinion & I am not judging anyone, if & when you decide to be adopted by a fur kid then you are also taking on the responsibility of whatever medical care they may need.
When my 2 fur kids adopted me, they were strays barely 3 weeks old. My baby girl banged her head & got a concussion. I had to run her to the emergency vet & she had a 2 night stay which costs me over $500 & I only had her for 4 days. I could have easily just said put her to sleep & I will keep her brother. That IMO was NOT the right thing to do. She is my baby.
Since then each of them has made a few ER visits from a sprained paw to scratched eye. Expensive, YES, but to me, worth every penny.
I honestly don't have the extra $$$ for these visits but I just put the charges on my Visa & cut back on other expenses.
I just don't agree with putting an animal to sleep, but that is just me.

katzenberg
05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
rhe vet is going to charge me 300 thats half of what the other vet was going to charge me.i usally have the money for my animals that was just way over the top and i wasent expecting that much.

Pepsi4me
05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
rhe vet is going to charge me 300 thats half of what the other vet was going to charge me.i usally have the money for my animals that was just way over the top and i wasent expecting that much.

Thats great!

Our dog had a cyst on her leg(small) it cost us $250 to get it removed.

She was hit by the UPS truck a few yrs ago & broke her pelvis. Not much they could do & they said they could put a rod in but either way it would heal/still be painful. We didn't do the rod & the total bill was still over $500. That was just one night at the vet, xrays,IV & pain meds.

She was back to almost normal within 1-2 weeks.

Good luck!