PDA

View Full Version : help our cat is having accidents behind our tv ..any ideas

gahottie
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I am hoping this is in the right place...Ugh where do i start..Our siamese who is almost 5 has been leaving us presents (poo):gaah.. behind our tv..she does this every once in a while...She started doing this after we put the litterbox in our basement downstairs..
Well apparently miss sneaky pants (our siamese..):getyou she did this for a few days in a row this week..:getyou ..before we noticed (I know stupid :argh: )
We have a pet door...She hates the pet door ..
I love her to death but I am tired of this..
We have scolded her (in a you dont do this but not mean way) ..
So I also need some suggestions on what is great to get the smell up from behind the tv...I have already sprayed it.. and how to keep her from doing this..

I adore our babies and they are very very spoiled (all 4 of them)....

thanks for listening ..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

YankeeMary
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Put the litter box behind the tv and buy some febreeze. I am clueless as we are doggie people. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Could she be doing it because you moved the litter box in the first place? Could you possibly return it to the original place? Good Luck!!!

magenta
05-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree, put the litter box behind the TV. Then move it a little every so often til it is where you want it.

And I don't know if it will work, but DH had a friend whose cat started going behind the big screen. He was in a wheel chair so, he couldn't get behind the TV by himself to clean it up. Someone told him to line the floor behind the TV with aluminum foil. I have no idea why, but the cat wouldn't walk on it, so no more poo behind the TV.

justme23
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
You should have a litter box on every floor of the house that she is allowed to go. This is what the vet told us. Cats are lazy creatures and are not going to climb a bunch of stairs when it's time to poop. I'd also look in to a kit to teach her how to potty in the toilet (it's not a joke) if you don't want a litter box on the main level of your home.

Bliss
05-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Maybe put the litter box in a room it can access easily without climbing stairs.

Willow
05-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I think it's because you moved the box on her. I don't know what to do about the smell because we have never had that problem. Our litter boxes have been in the same spot ever since we've lived here.

Kimberly61
05-05-2008, 05:02 AM
odoban works well....fabreeze works for like a day to cover the smell but odoban covers deep down.......tin foil does work, cats hate tin foil, I did that to my cats when they were jumping up on things...and after a couple of days of trying to jump up with the foil being there they just had no interest anymore....I have also heard that black pepper works well too.....considering how old she is she is not liking you moving her litter box and if she doesnt go behind the t.v after putting foil or what not behind it she will find somewhere else to go unless you bring her box back up.

regor380
05-05-2008, 05:58 AM
sorry to hear about the cat using the floor, my sister works for a vet and said cats don't like change, so moving the litter box is probably the problem, Your lucky my mom had a cat when the made any change in her life(oldercat) she would crawl up under the bed sheets and use the bed , and you wouldn't know it untill you pulled the covers back at night and then "Surprise" They started closing bedroom doors. Good Luck on what ever tou choose to do

mirage7000
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I heard they don't like citrus. Kitty used to go potty in the veggie garden. Threw a bunch of orange peels in there and it stopped!

ahippiechic
05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
The tinfoil works. We had a cat who would jump on the counters when we were gone, so I put the foil up there for about a week and she stopped jumping up there.

And yeah, I'd move her litter box back where it was, if possible.

tiahana
05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I really like simple solutions and pet organics no mark spray from petco or petsmart.

iluvmybaby
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a 13 y/o cat that goes in the bath tub, despite we have several kitty litter boxes, apparently she doesn't know the :rules Or just wants to make her own.

gahottie
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
thank you for all the responses on this...It is greatly appreciated....And for the laughter (I know not funny but at the same time it is)....:)...

katgirl3
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
You can get "OUT" from Walmart. It's in the pet section. This stuff really works.

nightrider127
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Sounds like the kitty didn't like it when you moved the litter box.

I don't know a lot about cats, I have dogs myself but here is a cleaning tip. When you clean up the next mess, spray it with a mixture of very little vinegar with water. The kitty shouldn't go potty there again. This does work for dogs and I have heard cat owners say it works for them too.

cathych
05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
she is probably ticked off at you. We keep our litter box in the bathroom. Easier cleanup that way, just flush the cat poop. I mean, would you want to go into the basement every time you had to go?

Mary_Jo3
05-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Cats also don't like it if you change the brand of kitty litter, a friend went to a different brand and kitty "went" every where but the box.

whatever
05-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a cat that leaves surprises in my dogs room every so often when he thinks his litter is full. And i empty every 3 days like clockwork!! at first we thought it was one of our dogs, then realized it was the cat :)

gahottie
05-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Mary Jo we found out about the litter change the hard way..We did that once a few years ago and they would use the litter box but we hear all about it from them until we changed the litter back to the old litter...So far we have not had any accidents this week...Mainly she does not like the pet door...She will go through it but she hates it...Again thanks for the responses and the funny stories...