PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how long for divorce...?

redrig
05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
A friend of mine is in the process of getting a divorce. I'm not sure how far along in the process, but I know that his lawyer is working on the terms to propose to her and her lawyer. Is there a time limit on how long she can take? If she agrees to the terms, anyone know how long before there's temporary orders of who gets to live in the house while the divorce is going through?

Willow
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
When Kevin got divorced he filed in August and got the final papers the end of February. I think it may vary depending on what state you live in. I'm not sure how that other stuff works.

SLance68
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
My brother filed his himself and his ex didn't contest it and it took all of 21 days in Florida. But they had no kids or property to split up and they each kept their own debts so it was a quickie divorce I guess.

redrig
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
mine took about 3 months, uncontested in NH with no kids or property. His is in MA and there's a house involved but no kids...well she has one from a previous marriage, but I don't know how that works. She did tell him she was going to try and take everything he owned.

tracey74
05-02-2008, 09:15 PM
could take up to a year or more depending on if they agree to who gets what and if they agree with the terms then again it could take a few months took my sister a few months because her and her husband agreed on everything(he got it all but the kids and she left him before that for another man) as far as who gets to live in the house I guess it would probably be whoever was the one who didnt leave the home(if thats what happened) or whos name it is in.like the OP said it depends on the state and the judge

flute
05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
shouldnl't the lawyer be able to answer this?

tljohn123
05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
my divorce took a whole two weeks from start to finish. I didn't contest anything, even though I should have. I know better now.

ElleGee
05-05-2008, 03:22 AM
It depends on the state, if there is kids involved or property.. A lawyer should be answering this question b/c not a one of us knows your friends circumstances and we aren't lawyers.

mirage7000
05-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Mine took about a year and thought it would never end. His lawyer wouldn't show up at court and it was like a game to mentally drive you nuts!

PrincessArky
05-05-2008, 11:50 AM
mine was easy I got the 2 kids, the car WITH payments and he got everything else.......filed waited 30 days then when I left the court I was divorced.