PDA

View Full Version : What??!! Help those here first!

ilikefree
05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I was reading in the newspaper this morning and the headline said, "Bush proposes $770M additional food aid." BUT, reading down further it says that the money is to be directed primarily at needy African nations!!! I realize there are starving people over there, but what about taking care of your own country first?! Grocery prices are outrageous and we can barely afford the basic staples anymore, let alone any extras! We don't qualify for food stamps but do get assistance from the thrift store's food bank. They have cereal, canned goods and pasta there. How about a little help back here at home before going deeper into debt helping other countries?

DrGrin
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I was reading in the newspaper this morning and the headline said, "Bush proposes $770M additional food aid." BUT, reading down further it says that the money is to be directed primarily at needy African nations!!! I realize there are starving people over there, but what about taking care of your own country first?! Grocery prices are outrageous and we can barely afford the basic staples anymore, let alone any extras! We don't qualify for food stamps but do get assistance from the thrift store's food bank. They have cereal, canned goods and pasta there. How about a little help back here at home before going deeper into debt helping other countries?

I guess the gov't does consider themselves to be helping us by sending out stimulus checks.

I agree, more should be done to help the homeless, etc in the US before sending millions overseas. I'm not even going to get started today. I need to go do something productive. Complaining about this isn't going to get me anywhere. :D

ahippiechic
05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Can you imagine how much that money would do to help the homeless and hungry here??

atprm
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I posted the article on the news forum this morning and there are already 12 responses to it.

I totally agree...

screw the starving world and feed your own country first!

Because if you can't take care of yourself, you aren't much good to others either.

ilikefree
05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I posted the article on the news forum this morning and there are already 12 responses to it.

I totally agree...

Because if you can't take care of yourself, you aren't much good to others either.

Sorry, I didn't know you already posted about this.

hblueeyes
05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Those stimulus checks were mandated by law because of the housing fiasco. Freddie Mac and fannie Mae broke the rules and as a result we got the checks. The government gives little to its taxpayers when in need.

Me

ma4angels
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree. There is nothing wrong with helping out another country as long as your country doesn't need help. I think that they should rasie the income levels so more people should be able to get Food stamps. I also think that Food stamps to raise the amount what they give people to reflect the cost of food and gas now. With the prices continuing to raise what amount they get for food will not cut it. I am glad we are getting to rebate tax check but it is not going to fix the problem. Until someone in the government stops the gas companies from going up on their prices we are going to be in bad shape. When they go up everyone goes up.

nightrider127
05-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Lets not kid ourselves. It isn't just Bush who don't give a tinkers damn about us, it is all of them.

The only time they care about the people of their own nation is on election day. After that, it's "See you later idiots"

BlueBerriTerri
05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
A drop in the bucket compared to what we are spending in Iraq, lining the pockets of his and Cheney's cronies. Not millions, but BILLIONS. Now THAT'S really something to get angry about, but it's usually the things that are small scale that have people up in arms the most. We continue sweating the small stuff while infractions of epic proportions barely warrant a second glance, much less the outrage they deserve.

nightrider127
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
A drop in the bucket compared to what we are spending in Iraq, lining the pockets of his and Cheney's cronies. Not millions, but BILLIONS. Now THAT'S really something to get angry about, but it's usually the things that are small scale that have people up in arms the most. We continue sweating the small stuff while infractions of epic proportions barely warrant a second glance, much less the outrage they deserve.

You don't want to get me started on Iraq.

As for Cheney, yeah he cares a lot---NOT for our airline employees, which my son was in the not too distant past. He cared so much for the airline employees and the people that travel on our airlines that he voted against a ban of plastic weapons.

gmyers
05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I saw the saddest thing on the news tonight. An older couple lost their house and are living in their van now. Because of the high costs of everything. And they were talking about not having a lot of food either. They were also talking about elderly people having to eat a soup kitchens because they can't afford to buy the food they need. It was sad about the couple that lost their home, the man told his wife we'll make it as long as we stick together and he said one day they'd have another home and kissed her on the cheek. It was sad to watch them but they had really good spirits.

peaceluver
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I guess when we have nothing more to line their pockets with they will start wondering what happened. Its just a shame that so many have to suffer before they open their eyes. I remember when there was poor, middle class, and rich. Middle class is disappearing fast.

bichonlove
05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I feel the same way- please take care of our people in this country first- we do have people here who have little or no food on the table. People who are homeless due to no fault of thier own. We live on social security disability and let me tell you, it is a month to month exhistence. We often have to chose what to pay so one can eat. President Bush needs to support us first!

kelblend
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM

I totally agree...

Sorry, I didn't know you already posted about this.

I never read the news forum and I wouldn't have seen it, so don't be sorry. I do believe you are allowed to post your opinion in vent and whine and it not be an issue.

Bliss
05-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Lets not kid ourselves. It isn't just Bush who don't give a tinkers damn about us, it is all of them.

The only time they care about the people of their own nation is on election day. After that, it's "See you later idiots"

Very true....

lucimPI
05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I am NOT commenting on this because I know the top of my head would blow off. I love my country but the idiots who run it seem like they do not care about the people of our country and care more for the "poor" in other countries. We have so many people here that need help and don't get it. I can feel my BP going up!!!!and I think I also feel some curse words wanting to come out.