PDA

View Full Version : first cousins marry?

buglebe
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
If a man and a woman have the same grandmother but not the same grandfather aren't they still first cousins? Can they marry?

flute
04-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Idon't know -

magenta
04-30-2008, 08:35 AM
1/2 cousin? lol

IDK either!

I did a quick google search, and 26 states prohibit cousin marriages.
You can legally marry your cousin in Europe, Canada & Mexico.
The frequency of cousin marriage in US is 1 in 1000 marriages
In Japan 4 in 1000.
20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins
Albery Einstein, Charles Darwin married their cousins.

freeby4me
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
That is still a blood relative, but I thought "first cousin" was the two people in question, their parents are brother sister relation.

Like brother and sister both have kids, their kids are now "first cousins".

Willow
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes they are still first cousins even though they have different fathers. They still come from the same mother. As far as them getting married I think it's kind of gross but people do it.

Jackie_Blu
04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes they are still first cousins even though they have different fathers. They still come from the same mother. As far as them getting married I think it's kind of gross but people do it.

:yeah

tracey74
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
first cousins can also be your aunt or uncles kids and yeah I suppose if they have the same grandmother and different grandfather they are still first cousins because 2 of my sisters have diff dads and they have kids so those kids are my kids cousins. some states will ask if youre related others will do blood tests. either way I think its disgusting but to each their own I guess

Bliss
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
If a man and a woman have the same grandmother but not the same grandfather aren't they still first cousins? Can they marry?

All the people in the world and someone wants to keep it in the family? :slap I have no idea if it's legal to marry a first cousin. It should be against the law to marry any relative...

Here's an answer:

Is it legal to marry your first cousin?
In: Divorce and Marriage Law

Marrying a Cousin
In about half the US states there is no law preventing it. A handful have some special requirements. In some countries/states it is illegal.

Notes from FAQ Farmers:

There are bible verses that describe exactly who not to marry. Leviticus 18: 6-19 If you are a Christian, then these are reason enough. Read the above Biblical verses, and they state how distant a relative should be before considering marriage. If you you do marry your cousin and have children, the possibility for a birth or genetic defect will increase; nevertheless, according to a scientific report, the overall risks are still fairly low.

In the UK it is currently legal, though there's a chance this could be changed due to how common it is within certain minority communities. However, the increase in risk of birth deformities is really tiny unless the same thing happens repeatedly (i.e. you marry your cousin and then your children marry their cousins, etc): the more times it happens within the same family, the risk will probably increase, but if it's only done once, these risks are much smaller than commonly believed.

Actually it is not true at all that cousins who have children will have "retarded" children. That is a very American sterotype and for centuries in all other countries it was preferred that cousins marry as to keep families close and to keep money within a family. Having retarded kids is a total myth and ignorant American ideology.

Actually, if there are any kind of genetic disorders in your family, even many generations ago, you have a good chance of passing that on if you have a child with your first cousin. Most of the boys in European royal families died from hemophilia because of inbreeding.

Whether it is "right" would be a personal issue and should not be subjected to other people's moral or ethical interpretations. The legal issue is a different matter, there are those states which have specific laws pertaining to such relationships. W/O knowing the state of residency a more specific answer is not possible.

cpbaby
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
You know, If it were illegal to marry "family" where would the cut off be? 2nd cousins? 3rd? 5th? I have 5th and 6th cousins that were raised on the same road as me and 1st cousins I only saw once a year growing up. Which would be creepier? To me, it would be marrying the 5th cousin I grew up with. As a matter of fact, my ex-h was a distant cousin. He was a 3rd cousin to my great-grandmother.....OH WAIT and my great grandfather...they were 1st cousins that were married....

Anyway, moot point. In KY, 1st cousins can marry.

ang in NC
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
To me that would be pure nasty! I know a long time ago, we lived where there were a lot of family members of one family living on a road we lived on, well they had a lot of deformaties. My husbands granmother told me it was cause they married family members caus the bus only came by once a day to go to Raleigh, I told her..." I would be on it going to look for someone before I married family"!!!