PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back hrs at work because of the price of food.

Pepsi4me
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
We were told today that hrs will be cut. One of us has to leave early every Friday & when there are field trips & less kids to feed they want someone to leave early. No extra hrs no matter what.

They are also raising lunch prices for next yr.

They said the cost of food is why this change is neccessary.

Vee030473
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
O wow thats terrible.What are the prices for school lunches there? Here they are $1.75,but my kids take their lunches.

Lild
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
That really sucks....
our kids pay 2.00$ a day here, and I let my daughter get ice cream twice a week, which is another 1$ for each day, and *if* she gets breakfast there, it is 1.35$ for a friggen muffin, a muffin, come on now

ttistin
04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
lunch here at the high school is 1.75, an extra meat is 1.50
a slice of pizza is 1.50
a bottle of water or tea is 1.25
our muffins are .50
snacks are between .25 and .75
ice cream is .50

There are a lot of kids that buy a lunch plus an extra meat, others buy 3-4 slices of pizza plus water and a couple of snacks. Average lunch for a kid is between 3.00 and 5.00 It is crazy. There is no way I could afford that every day. These are the same kids every day that do this.

To bad they are cutting hours, that is going to make it hard on you guys. Do you get paid salary or by the hour?

iluvmybaby
04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
We were told today that hrs will be cut. One of us has to leave early every Friday & when there are field trips & less kids to feed they want someone to leave early. No extra hrs no matter what.

They are also raising lunch prices for next yr.

They said the cost of food is why this change is neccessary.

My job is being affected by the economy, so I feel you

Pepsi4me
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Breakfast $1.00
Elementary lunch $1.75
Middle/high school $2.00

So they basically want us to have some workers leave early & then the rest get to do extra work to save the company money. Doesn't seem very fair to me.:getyou

We get paid by the hour.

Vee030473
04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
That doesnt seem fair but at least they aren't cutting a position. That would be really bad then. I know it is hard but I try to look on the bright side of everything.

Pepsi4me
04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
That doesnt seem fair but at least they aren't cutting a position. That would be really bad then. I know it is hard but I try to look on the bright side of everything.

I dont think they could eliminate a position completely. There is just too much work.

We each have a job in the mornings-

The main cook
The Baker(me)
The salad bar prep
The deli prep
the pizza maker
The kitchen supervisor
the dishwasher
breakfast person

When we are finished getting all things done for the lunch groups we then each serve. Then there's the clean up.

The middle/high school has-
Main lunch
deli cart
pizza cart
salad bar

Elementary has-
Main lunch
Deli cart
salad bar

It is a lot of work.

MERE CHAT
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
When I was growing up everyone ate breakfast at home and we packed lunches. Never bought lunches till I was in high school. How times have changed. One thing I do know from in the news is that many welfare recipients take advantage of programs such as breakfast in school, etc, while receiving food stamps, going to food banks, etc. I live in the city and I see the people standing in lines at the food banks. Seeing how much they weigh, I really think they abuse these programs.

vicky122
04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
When I was growing up everyone ate breakfast at home and we packed lunches. Never bought lunches till I was in high school. How times have changed. One thing I do know from in the news is that many welfare recipients take advantage of programs such as breakfast in school, etc, while receiving food stamps, going to food banks, etc. I live in the city and I see the people standing in lines at the food banks. Seeing how much they weigh, I really think they abuse these programs.

They do abuse these programs. I do registration for lunch and you would not believe how they lie.
You guys shouldn't be in any hurry getting things done trying to make up for a missing person. If you do they might think they can always do and cut a person out.

PrincessArky
04-30-2008, 04:46 AM

I know here anyone on food stamps can get free lunches because it proves they are below the line.......I think for our family our income can be up to something about 50k (for free lunch NOT fs) we are no where near that so my kids get free lunch thankfully :)

ilikefree
04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
I know here anyone on food stamps can get free lunches because it proves they are below the line.......I think for our family our income can be up to something about 50k (for free lunch NOT fs) we are no where near that so my kids get free lunch thankfully :)

I'm not sure what the guidelines are for free and reduced lunches are in my area, but luckily our boys qualify for free breakfast and lunch. I work as a substitute in the cafeteria and there are a couple ladies who are going to be off work for the rest of the school year. I will be working in the washroom (my least favorite job there) but that is only 2 1/2 hours a day. I worked one day last week on mashed potato day and that was a HUGE mess in the dishwasher and everywhere. I didn't get out of there till 40 minutes after I was supposed to. The supervisor told me I could take the time off another time. I don't know how that is supposed to happen, on a good day I don't get out till a few minutes after my appointed time. I feel for you...I really do, but as someone said, at least they aren't eliminating your job.

Unicornmom77
04-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Seeing how much they weigh, I really think they abuse these programs.

Because someone is over weight they shouldn't get assistance? Maybe their children are hungry? Maybe they have a medical condition that causes them to be overweight.

Not everyone who is fat is abusing the friggin food bank, I have had to go to a food bank or two and believe me its no walk in the park, its not like they say "Oh you need food, here you go" 90% of them grill you and ask you every aspect of your life and want to know where every dime has gone, maybe you should walk a mile in someones shoes before you jump on someone for being fat and in the food bank line...

kelblend
04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
$2.00 for elementary
$2.50 for middle school.
$35 a week for the kids total.
A small gatorade (teeny) is $1.
Oh, a pretzel and a small thing of yogurt is one of the lunches now. Umm... the lunches are sucking in amount and nutrition and the price just keeps going up. This has been this way here for awhile. I can't imagine next year's prices.

sdb_ngc
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Pepsi4me.. we are feeling it at my job also. My hours got cut from 40 to 35 and others had to take a voluntary leave of absence for 6 weeks or be laid off altogether. The economy stinks right now!!!

DrGrin
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
$2.00 for elementary
$2.50 for middle school.
$35 a week for the kids total.
A small gatorade (teeny) is $1.
Oh, a pretzel and a small thing of yogurt is one of the lunches now. Umm... the lunches are sucking in amount and nutrition and the price just keeps going up. This has been this way here for awhile. I can't imagine next year's prices.

A person can make healthy lunches and send them from home for less money. A peanut butter sandwich or ham & cheese rollups, pretzels, carrot sticks, homemade muffins, homemade jello, puddings, etc.. possibilities are endless. Just use small gladware containers (to save money by not buying ziploc bags) and an insulated lunch bag with small reusable ice blocks and you can pack a variety of things. I can't even imagine paying that much for a school lunch for multiple children in a family. It definitely wouldn't work into our budget.

Vee030473
04-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I worked in a chow hall ( military dining facility) for a bit while we were at Ft Benning GA,it was my husband's first duty station. There were four of us to do salad prep,fresh fruit prep,and dessert prep for all 3 meal times. After we finished with that,we had dishwasher duty. We were the dishwashers LOL. We had an average of 1200 meal card holders a day,per meal time,not including cadre. When they started cutting jobs,I was one of the positions being cut. I felt bad for myself but felt even worse for those that had to double up work. We already worked from 0400 to 1700,but after the job cuts they worked until 1830.

dcut4
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you have a contract?
If you do I don't see how they can cut your hours.
Do you have a union? If so talk to your rep.

iluvmybaby
04-30-2008, 12:25 PM

How ignorant:itsme:

chib44
04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
77 I agree with you Dont people know that carbs are killers as far as weight goes most people that have a liminted food budget fill up on pasta mac and cheese noodles etc that makes for a very fat filled diet i would not judge anyone standing in a food bank line nope before ya ask never been to one but if i needed one i wouldnt think twice to use them have a nice day

atprm
04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
How ignorant:itsme:

how rude!

I see mere chat's point though --

when I was in elem/jr high school we brought our lunch from home, had breakfast at home. By the time I got to high school, they had eliminated the hot lunch program altogether because the taxpayers didn't increase the millage.

So we STILL brought food and snacks from home.

I don't see how weight has anything to do with getting free food, but I can understand the underlying point about abusing the system -- free school lunch, free food at food banks or church handouts, food stamps and God knows what else....probably all piling into a Hummer or Cadillac.

buglebe
04-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Because someone is over weight they shouldn't get assistance? Maybe their children are hungry? Maybe they have a medical condition that causes them to be overweight.

Not everyone who is fat is abusing the friggin food bank, I have had to go to a food bank or two and believe me its no walk in the park, its not like they say "Oh you need food, here you go" 90% of them grill you and ask you every aspect of your life and want to know where every dime has gone, maybe you should walk a mile in someones shoes before you jump on someone for being fat and in the food bank line...

Yes , I caught that too and thought that sentence could have been left out.

kelblend
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
A person can make healthy lunches and send them from home for less money. A peanut butter sandwich or ham & cheese rollups, pretzels, carrot sticks, homemade muffins, homemade jello, puddings, etc.. possibilities are endless. Just use small gladware containers (to save money by not buying ziploc bags) and an insulated lunch bag with small reusable ice blocks and you can pack a variety of things. I can't even imagine paying that much for a school lunch for multiple children in a family. It definitely wouldn't work into our budget.

Yeah, my youngest son packs at times. My two middleschoolers don't though. My point is that the lunches aren't really worth the cost most of the time.

nightrider127
05-01-2008, 06:30 AM
77 I agree with you Dont people know that carbs are killers as far as weight goes most people that have a liminted food budget fill up on pasta mac and cheese noodles etc that makes for a very fat filled diet i would not judge anyone standing in a food bank line nope before ya ask never been to one but if i needed one i wouldnt think twice to use them have a nice day

It's not just pasta etc. that people eat that make them fat. People on a limited budget will fry their meat and then make gravy out of the pan drippings to make the meat go further. Not only will this make a person gain weight, it will cause their hair to be oily therefore causing some people to think that they are not the cleanest person around.

chib44
05-01-2008, 02:28 PM
BRAVO thank you you got my point I thought the coment was a little harsh

catdance
05-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I have the same PINCH here in Minneapolis, it goes like this:
Food Cost X Production/Labor X OVERHEAD..un fair and there is no relief coming.
I totally feel for you!
I have to cut my people as well, and they are all struggling.
I am and have been searching for a new job.
You are in a subsidy I bet, that means the school pays a management fee, so if the numbers are not good, the school pays for for every contracted employee...and that is why the have to do this.
So to eliminate a cost, they start with LABOR..
I feel for you....
But that is correct as the kids deserve meals, you make!
So that is a good part of this.