PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of Chase Bank

dor1969
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I HATE CHASE BANK!!!!

When I first opened my checking account they told me my only option for overdraft protection was to get a Chase Visa. I said no because I knew I couldn't get approved. This past Monday they hit me for $192.00 in overdraft fees just hours before my husband's direct deposit went into the account. The reason we were overdrawn is because I wrote a check at the dentist's office at 1:30 pm and the check was cashed and cleared within hours. I didn't think it would go through until the next day.
I went to the bank to ask them to reverse some of the charges. THEY SAID NO!! I told them it's not fair that the only overdraft protection they offer is with a visa. Then they told me I had the option of linking my checking account with my savings account for overdraft protection, but I had to sign up for it. I had enough money in my savings account to cover the overdrawn transactions. Had I known when I opened my accounts that I could link my checking with my savings I certainly would have done it, and I wouldn't be giving Chase my $192.00 I told them I'm struggling to keep my house and that money was supposed to be for my 2nd mortgage payment. I begged for mercy, and they pretty much said f*** you. Then, the rotten skank tried to talk me into signing up for their check card rewards program for an annual fee of $25.00 I said "I don't have $25, I can't even pay my bills because of your fees". All of the overdrawn transactions were on our checkcard. When the account is empty the checkcard should be declined just like a credit card is declined when you're at your limit. This is just another scam so Chase can get richer while the poor keep getting poorer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything else I can do to get some of my money back? I wasn't intentionally going negative in my account. My husband used the checkcard after I wrote the check to the dentist.:cry

ahippiechic
04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry it put you in such a hole, but it doesn't matter if you did it intentionally or not, you DID overdraw, so I don't see why they would give you the fees back.

And a check card isn't like a credit card, it work just like a check. Hence you can get overdrawn with it.

galeane29
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Luckily I have never been overdrawn....knock on wood.
I Agree with Hippie. Even though you wrote the checks the day
before, obviously the Dentist office took their checks to the bank
either that evening and the check cleared that very next morning.
You cant write bad checks and not expect an overdraft fee.
Also, its not like it used to be with a check taking a few days to clear.
It clears automatically, thats been going on for a couple of years now.
Now, Your overdraft fees are $192? Looks like you had overdaft fees, bad check fees and possibly this was for more than one check?

dor1969
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry it put you in such a hole, but it doesn't matter if you did it intentionally or not, you DID overdraw, so I don't see why they would give you the fees back.

And a check card isn't like a credit card, it work just like a check. Hence you can get overdrawn with it.

The reason I feel they should give me the fees back is because they never told me when I opened the account that I could link my savings to my checking (for free) for overdraft protection. Who would turn that down? They were just trying to get me to apply for their visa instead. Had I known, I would have linked my accounts and I never would have been hit with these fees because I had enough money in my savings to cover everything. Now that I know I can link the accounts, I did it.

dor1969
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Luckily I have never been overdrawn....knock on wood.
I Agree with Hippie. Even though you wrote the checks the day
before, obviously the Dentist office took their checks to the bank
either that evening and the check cleared that very next morning.
You cant write bad checks and not expect an overdraft fee.
Also, its not like it used to be with a check taking a few days to clear.
It clears automatically, thats been going on for a couple of years now.
Now, Your overdraft fees are $192? Looks like you had overdaft fees, bad check fees and possibly this was for more than one check?

I totally understand what you're saying, and I agree. But the fact remains that they never gave me the option to link my accounts for overdraft protection. Also, I had enough money to cover the dentist's check. I became overdrawn because my bonehead husband was using the checkcard all over town after I gave the check to the dentist. Guess where that checkcard is now?? HIDDEN!! My husband will never see that card again, LOL

ahippiechic
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
They told us about it when we asked what options they had for overdraft protection and we linked ours when we signed up. Now we have the Visa.

dor1969
04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
The woman who opened my account for me was an airhead. She made a few mistakes.

galeane29
04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh WOW, MY DH would be in a world of pain for using the card
and not letting me know. I dont care at all that he spends the money. I just need to know so I can balance the checkbook and he knows that.
I dont blame you for taking the card from him, serves him right LOL

mosdata1
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
I HATE CHASE BANK!!!!

When I first opened my checking account they told me my only option for overdraft protection was to get a Chase Visa. I said no because I knew I couldn't get approved. This past Monday they hit me for $192.00 in overdraft fees just hours before my husband's direct deposit went into the account. The reason we were overdrawn is because I wrote a check at the dentist's office at 1:30 pm and the check was cashed and cleared within hours. I didn't think it would go through until the next day.
I went to the bank to ask them to reverse some of the charges. THEY SAID NO!! I told them it's not fair that the only overdraft protection they offer is with a visa. Then they told me I had the option of linking my checking account with my savings account for overdraft protection, but I had to sign up for it. I had enough money in my savings account to cover the overdrawn transactions. Had I known when I opened my accounts that I could link my checking with my savings I certainly would have done it, and I wouldn't be giving Chase my $192.00 I told them I'm struggling to keep my house and that money was supposed to be for my 2nd mortgage payment. I begged for mercy, and they pretty much said f*** you. Then, the rotten skank tried to talk me into signing up for their check card rewards program for an annual fee of $25.00 I said "I don't have $25, I can't even pay my bills because of your fees". All of the overdrawn transactions were on our checkcard. When the account is empty the checkcard should be declined just like a credit card is declined when you're at your limit. This is just another scam so Chase can get richer while the poor keep getting poorer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything else I can do to get some of my money back? I wasn't intentionally going negative in my account. My husband used the checkcard after I wrote the check to the dentist.:cry

Who did you speak to? Was it a teller, or a bank officer? I would go back, and ask to speak to a bank officer, if you did speak to one earlier, I would ask to speak to the officer in charge of that bank. I would then explain my situation to them, and ask if they could even reverse 1 or 2 of the fees. Don't expect them to reverse them all, and be happy if they reverse even 1. We only have 1 bank card with our account, because DH is famous for not telling me when he takes out $$, that was not so bad when he was making more money 6 years ago, but when his co went out of business, and he was making about 1/3 his previous salary, it became a big deal!

ElleGee
04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I hate chase as well. Wachovia sold our mortgage to them and since then all we have been getting is the run around.. Chase forgot to pay the taxes on our second lot so we had to run (literally) to city hall and pay the taxes... Chase paid the taxes the next day.. Soooooo we had to fight city hall and chase to get the money we paid in refunded or added to next quarter..

It took 3 months to get 1500.00 back

Kimberly61
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I love Chase...I have been with them for about a year now with no problems....banks I had before that screwed me around more then what you got screwed around for, but chase has been good to me, I get a call every couple of months from the bank manager to ask how I banking with them and if I had any questions.........When I signed up they told me about the linking of accounts and of the Chase Visa cc but I turned both down(I only do checking at Chase)...when my sd signed up the lady who got her started didnt mention any of those things until I mentioned them so I think it depends on the person you go to......Very sorry you are having trouble and that you got a ditz to deal with, but I dont think there is or will be anything you can do about it.

magenta
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
My aunt is a bank president.

She has told me before, if you talk to a manager and nicely explain the situation, that they are allowed to reverse the bank's fees. What they cannot do is return you the return fees the business' charge you. She said if you are a customer in good standing and have never had a problem that chances are they will waive some fees. The bank manager has discresion over doing so. Aunt said they will usually do it once but then you're SOL if it happens again.

My mom forgot to deposit her check once and 2 things were returned. They reimbursed her the bank fees. (no she doesn't bank at her sister's bank). She had been at that bank for over 10 years and never had a problem with returned checks. The bank manager didn't blink about reversing their charges. .

SLance68
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
If you had not bounced any checks in the past year or 2 I am sure they would remove the fees. I don't bank with Chase I use a Credit Union and they require you to have a savings and it is linked to the checking. Even if the person that opened the account didn't tell you about the ability to link the account to a savings I am sure it was in the paperwork that they give you when you opened the account - you know that pile of stuff that no one ever looks at (yes including me).

I would call the bank and speak with the branch manager or the district manager and if you haven't bounced any other checks in a while they usually will remove the charges. But if you have bounced other checks in the past then they pretty much will stick to their guns and not remove the fees.

dor1969
04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
WOO HOO!! After jumping through hoops and speaking with three different people, the bank agreed to reverse $100 of the $192 fees. What a relief!! And SLance68, you're probably right, the info probably was in the paperwork they gave me and it was my responsibility to read it. I even acknowledged to the branch manager that I did not do enough on my part to be aware of all my banking options and the services they offer. Thanks to everyone who responded to my venting and whining. I sure do appreciate it.

whatever
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
This is another reason i do NOT have a debit card. Its easier to keep track of duplicates checks. I don't care if people feel i'm behind the times or if they are behind me in line at the store. this is one of the reason's i won't get one. NOt that i would overdraft, but in the event i would forget to write in something i bought. Because i write checks and then go back later and look and the dup. to fill in to subtract.

dor1969
04-26-2008, 10:30 PM
This is another reason i do NOT have a debit card. Its easier to keep track of duplicates checks. I don't care if people feel i'm behind the times or if they are behind me in line at the store. this is one of the reason's i won't get one. NOt that i would overdraft, but in the event i would forget to write in something i bought. Because i write checks and then go back later and look and the dup. to fill in to subtract.

I agree with what you're saying. A debit card can be a real pain sometimes. The only reason I have one is for online purchases. I fell behind on all my bills, so the credit card companies cancelled my accounts. The only way I can make online purchases is with my visa checkcard. Unfortunately, the hubby got his hands on it. Too bad for him he will never feel that plastic in his hands ever again! I shop online for all the deals and clearance stuff with free shipping. I have to, because I live too far away from any major stores and I can't afford to drive anywhere because of the ridiculous price of gas. But the price of gas lately is a whole new can of worms, isn't it?

Kyla Kym
04-27-2008, 01:05 AM
I HATE Chase too. May they ROT in hell, and all the outrageous charges they come up with. I had a credit card through them, and I was so happy to finally pay those SOB's off this year. I will NEVER get another card from them. They remind me of legalized loan sharks. I've had lots of credit cards in my time, but never have I ever had to deal with such a money grubbing, heartless company as Chase is.
But that's just my opinion. :D

MsLynn
04-27-2008, 06:10 AM
my checking account has an overdraft protection thats not linked to either a credit card or a savings account. just a service my bank offers... if you have to use it they will charge you their fee, but the check will not be returned.... i'll admit i've had to use it a couple times. and its saved my butt sometimes for groceries or gas to get me till payday... but i thank god its there for just such instances...

SLance68
04-27-2008, 07:05 AM
I HATE Chase too. May they ROT in hell, and all the outrageous charges they come up with. I had a credit card through them, and I was so happy to finally pay those SOB's off this year. I will NEVER get another card from them. They remind me of legalized loan sharks. I've had lots of credit cards in my time, but never have I ever had to deal with such a money grubbing, heartless company as Chase is.
But that's just my opinion. :D

I guess it just depends on how you use their card. I have had a Chase MC for 15 years and have never had a problem. However, I must clarify that I don't ever carry a balance on the card - just the way I am - I hate paying interest. The main reason I got a Chase MC was there were no annual fees and they had the longest grace period for paying the balance and not getting any interest charges.