PDA

View Full Version : Are we that stupid?

LuvBigRip
04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Part 1:
In just two years. Remember the election in 2006?

Thought you might like to read the following:

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3.50 a gallon; Supreme $4.05
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Remember it's Congress that makes law not the President. He has to work with what's handed to him.
Quote of the Day......."My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

Part 2:
Taxes...Whether Democrat or a Republican you will find these statistics enlightening and amazing.

www.taxfoundation.org/publicat ions/show/151.html

Taxes under Clinton 1999 Taxes under Bush 2008
Single making 30K - tax $8,400 Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $14,000 Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $23,250 Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K - tax $16,800 Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $21,000 Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $38,750 Married making 125K - tax $31,250

Both democratic candidates will return to the higher tax rates

It is amazing how many people that fall into the categories above think Bush is screwing them and Bill Clinton was the greatest President ever. If Obama or Hillary are elected, they both say they will repeal the Bush tax cuts and a good portion of the people that fall into the categories above can't wait for it to happen. This is like the movie The Sting with Paul Newman; you scam somebody out of some money and they don't even know what happened.

PART 3:
You think the war in Iraq is costing us too much? Read this :
Boy, am I confused. I have been hammered with the propaganda that it is the Iraq war and the war on terror that is bankrupting us. I now find that to be RIDICULOUS.

I hope the following 14 reasons are forwarded over and over again until they are read so many times that the reader gets sick of reading them. I have included the URL's for verification of all the following facts.
1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year by state governments. Verify at: http://*******.com/zob77

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.
Verify at: http://www.cis..org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.
Verify at: http://www.cis..org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!
Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.0.html

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.
Verify at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.
Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers.
Verify at: http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.html

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US
Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0606/12/ldt.01.html

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the U.S. from the Southern border.
Verify at: Homeland Security Report: http://*******.com/t9sht

12. The National Policy Institute, "estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period."
Verify at: http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/pdf/deportation.pdf

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin.
Verify at: http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm

14. "The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States."
Verify at: http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml

The total cost is a whopping $ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

Are we THAT stupid?
If this doesn't bother you then just ignore the message. If, on the other hand, it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, I hope you forward it to every legal resident in the country including every representative in Washington, D.C. - five times a week for as long as it takes to restore some semblance of intelligence in our policies and enforcement thereof.

Mom2Shaun
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
This is baloney! Snopes.com has it on their site as FALSE. Read the article before believing this nonsense.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/votedforchange.asp

Adra
04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Perhaps some of the numbers are wrong-

but some of this is right.

I still get upset that illegal people can go to the hospital and get operations pretty much free and I sit here with my uterus sagging and needing an operation and I do not have insurance and barely getting by and I can not get the medical attention that I need. I have worked and paid taxesm my husband works and pays taxes and for what? So that someone can break the law and use my tax money in hospitals, my tax money feeds the criminals.

I have no recourse for my medical problems. I have to suffer.

I want them gone from our land. And from what I am hearing everyone wants them gone except for those that can profit in some way by them being here. OH and those people are also breaking the law by hiring illegal aliens and paying them under the table.

I have no compassion or patience for those that knowingly break the law, this goes for aliens, thiefs, murderers, child molestors, drug users, tax evaders, people that lie to get welfare, food stamps, medicare, people that work under the table, people that hire illegal aliens. They all get lumped into one basket. They all are doing wrong and 99% know that they are doing wrong.

sandooch
04-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Adra, I am so sorry that you are having medical problems. It isn't fair that you should have to suffer like that. I hope you will find an answer soon.

ilikefree
04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Perhaps some of the numbers are wrong-

but some of this is right.

I still get upset that illegal people can go to the hospital and get operations pretty much free and I sit here with my uterus sagging and needing an operation and I do not have insurance and barely getting by and I can not get the medical attention that I need. I have worked and paid taxesm my husband works and pays taxes and for what? So that someone can break the law and use my tax money in hospitals, my tax money feeds the criminals.

I have no recourse for my medical problems. I have to suffer.

I want them gone from our land. And from what I am hearing everyone wants them gone except for those that can profit in some way by them being here. OH and those people are also breaking the law by hiring illegal aliens and paying them under the table.

I have no compassion or patience for those that knowingly break the law, this goes for aliens, thiefs, murderers, child molestors, drug users, tax evaders, people that lie to get welfare, food stamps, medicare, people that work under the table, people that hire illegal aliens. They all get lumped into one basket. They all are doing wrong and 99% know that they are doing wrong.

Well said!!! I totally agree 110%!

Adra
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you both so much.

When I typed it all out I reread BEFORE I clicked to post it. I felt sure that I would be berated for the way I feel. I clicked anyway because that is the way I felt, but I was braced for the backlash.

Thank you again.

SLance68
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Adra there are a lot of people that are legally here that get free medical care. All you have to do is throw your DH out and go on welfare and the Feds will pick up the bills - thanks to the Democrats. See you don't have to be a illegal you just have to know how to play the system.

I know I will be flamed over this but sorry it is the truth and no one can deny that point. I do feel sorry for you but blaming illegals on not having healthcare is just not the answer.

Adra
04-26-2008, 01:15 PM
But my tax money should not go to take care of people that are here illegally sponging off of people who work and pay into the system.

I know that my tax money goes to pay for people that just do not want to work and all they want to do is lie and cheat and steal.

But if any of my tax money goes to illegals then it is wrong. And I protest with my vote.

There is not one thing I can do about people that are citizens and they are sitting in prison and slurping up my money in food and medical care and getting an education. No I do not think they should have it better than hard working citizens do. But maybe if I scream loud enough and I vote the right way we can get rid of the some of the leeches from other countries that are here unwanted, uninvited and illegally.

SLance68
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I have to agree with you, however, I don't think there is a candidate in this race that will do anything about it. It doesn't matter what the Congress & President do when you have states like California that let them in with open arms. What we should do is take the people on welfare and have them build the wall between Mexico & the US. That would help on both of those problems.

Adra
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Amen

I actually look at them like this

Them coming into our country and taking our money by using medical facilities, and our schools and food stamps and welfare that is intended for our people is no different than me breaking into your house and stealing money food and medicenes that is intended for your family.

You would have every right to be upset if I did that and we have every right to scream our loudest at politicians that think this is not worth fighting for.

What is the name of that sheriff that is cracking down on illegals? I want him cloned and put in every county.

SLance68
04-26-2008, 04:35 PM
What is the name of that sheriff that is cracking down on illegals? I want him cloned and put in every county.

I couldn't agree more.

Mom2Shaun
04-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Darn, I can't figure out how to cut and paste the Snopes article. You really should read this before you make up your mind. And I also suggest thinking about the person/people who developed this attack on the Democrats. Either they're ill-informed and dont' keep up with the votes going on in Congress (I do!), or they're just trying to mislead you! http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/votedforchange.asp

The reality is that the U.S. didn't vote in a Democrat Congress in 2006. The Democrats did gain 31 seats in the House of Representatives, giving them a 233 - 198 majority once Congress was seated in 2007. And the Deomocrat-led House has passed many things to the Senate to vote on. However, the Senate currently has 49 Republicans and 49 Democrats, plus 2 independants who usually vote 1 for the Repub's and 1 for the Dem's. When there's a tie in the Senate, which there very often is (due to the 50/50 split between the two parties), guess who gets to cast the tie-breaking vote? Our Republican Vice President, Dick Cheney! It is because of this that the Democrats have not been able to make the changes that our country needs; they have been stymied over and over again!

The truth is that our currrent financial problems stem from numerous different factors, many outside of the influence of Congress. All of them were part of an ongoing process that was underway well before 2007.

So I think the title of the post, "Are we that stupid?", is perfect. I hope the answer is NO, we're not stupid enough to fall for this! If you look at how our Senate has voted over the years, you will see what I mean. Don't be misled by this nonsense; find out for yourself!

Jevonna
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Voting for Change

Claim: The 2008 U.S. economic downturn resulted from Democratic control of Congress in 2007.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, March 2008]

A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we've seen:
1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Origins: This piece is one of the more ludicrous examples of the post hoc ergo propter hoc ("after this, therefore because of this") fallacy we've received in a long time.
It attempts to blame a whole host of economic ills — high gasoline prices, unemployment, falling stock prices, the housing market meltdown — squarely and solely on the Democrats' having gained a majority of seats in the House of Representatives beginning in 2007.

We'll start by noting that it's not technically correct to claim the public voted "in a Democratic Congress in 2006." The Democrats did gain 31 seats in the House of Representatives in the 2006 elections, giving them a 233-198 majority over Republicans in that institution once the 110th Congress was seated in 2007. However, the current composition of the Senate tips towards neither party, with both Democrats and Republicans holding 49 seats each. (Two senators, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, were elected as independents.)

The other major fallacies here are the notions that a single party with control of only the House of Representatives (but not the Senate or the White House) could have, by itself, brought about all the economic conditions described above, and that it could have done so in the space of a single year. The financial woes currently being experienced in the U.S. are due to a multiplicity of factors (many of which are completely outside the purview of Congress), including policies of the current and previous presidential administrations, previous Congressional actions (or inactions), institutional investment decisions, credit expansion, market forces, and global events. Moreover, all these factors are part of ongoing processes that were underway well before 2007, as political/economic commentator Kevin Phillips described in his 2008 book, Bad Money:
Mr. Phillips begins with an overview of the current debt debacle. The 1980s were the start of "three profligate decades," when the expansion of mortgage credit and the invention of financial instruments like collateralized debt obligations (C.D.O.'s) led to an orgy of leveraging and irresponsible speculation. The Federal Reserve kept the bubble afloat with easy money, while regulators and ratings agencies looked the other way.

By 2007 total indebtedness was three times the size of the gross domestic product, a ratio that surpassed the record set in the years of the Great Depression. From 2001 to 2007 alone, domestic financial debt grew to $14.5 trillion from $8.5 trillion, and home mortgage debt ballooned to almost $10 trillion from $4.9 trillion, an increase of 102 percent. A crisis in the mortgage market in August 2007 brought the party to an end. Since then we have been living in a twilight zone of what a security analyst quoted in the book calls "one of the slowest-moving train wrecks we've seen."

The second component of the perfect storm is the upheaval in the oil industry. Domestic production peaked in 1971, and there are signs that production worldwide is also peaking. (Mr. Phillips cites experts who believe it already has.) And with the emergence of new economic powers like China and India, demand has risen dramatically and prices have been climbing steadily; by 2004 a rapidly growing China had become the second largest oil consumer, after the United States. Despite the bad news at the gas pump, however, America has actually been getting a cost break, because the major suppliers price their oil in dollars. But with the dollar falling, OPEC has been talking about moving into other currencies. Were that to happen, "the effects," Mr. Phillips says tersely, "could be painful."

Finally, Mr. Phillips turns to what he terms America's "calcified" political system. We may need new regulations to deal with the debt mess, along with an energy policy to address the changing world of oil, but Washington, he says, has become dedicated to "the politics of evasion," reluctant to pass dramatic reforms or to call for sacrifice from the public. Democrats and Republicans alike are so entrenched, so dependent on campaign money and special interests, that "the notion of a breath of fresh air has become almost a contradiction in terms."
America may have "voted for change" in 2006, but the detrimental changes that have manifested themselves so far are the product of forces that have been a long, long time in the making, not the sudden caprices of one political party.

Last updated: 21 April 2008

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/votedforchange.asp

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2008 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.
Sources Sources:

Gewen, Barry. "What Ails the American Economy? Everything, and There's Worse to Come."
The New York Times. 21 April 2008 (p. B7).

Phillips, Kevin. Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism.
New York: Viking, 2008. ISBN 0-670-01907-0.

Reuters. "Greenspan Won't Take Rap for Housing Meltdown."
Los Angeles Times. 8 April 2008.

Hope this helps??
Sandy