PDA

View Full Version : About ready to dump freecycle

Freebeemom
04-23-2008, 04:42 AM
I moderate a group near me. I have had several people post something like the following: WANTED:INFORMATION
Looking for information on how to get a job for my (DH, SON, BROTHER) who is a contractor (PLUMBER, ETC).

Also had these: Wanted: Looking for referrals for
A JOB THAT I NEED DONE IN MY HOME.

Ok, so perhaps in the last 2 weeks I have had about 6 requests like this. I rejected the posts of everyone stating that the posts they have will not keep items out of a landfill and that it is against freecycle rules. About 6 months ago I had the moderator of our state tell me that if any of these posts went through they would remove the host site. Now, I can understand why they don't want this type of posting....it makes the site "chatty" and they don't want that. IT takes up too much space on the boards.

SO, I referred the people above to craigslist or to their local village hall so they can request a list of approved contractors. EVERY ONE that I rejected snapped on me. Calling me everything in the book, throwing their sob stories at me (we all have them), etc.

Then, I offered raspberry bushes (4 days ago). I have a lot so I could offer to many people. ONLY 1 showed. I am so done today.

freeby4me
04-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Moderating one of those sites is so much more than I would ever be willing to give, so major kudo's to you! It may just be the time of year, some people get bugs up their butt. Dont look too much into it, just remember that you're doing your job so others will still have the site to come to.

buglebe
04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
We have a freecycle cafe that is for those type wants. It doesn't have as many members but does have about 400. I think our freecycle is great for posting wants which of course are looked down upon. But for posting offers, it is a forget it thing. For one, people think they want it until they find out they actually have to drive to your house to pick it up. It might only be a few blocks but it is too much trouble. I offer on freecycle now but have a deadline for picking it up. After that it goes to Salvation Army. Also we have 4000 members over the Bham area and if you see something you want, your chances of winning it aren't high plus it could be across town. People are suppose to post where it is but of course they don't. I was asked to take part of the freecycle area so it could be broken down but not for me.

flute
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm getting tired of freecycle - I'm trying to get rid of 2 lamps right now and no one wants them - a lot of people responded to the initial ad but when it comes time to actually pick them up or get back with me about it - they're silent. Actually tracy was supposed to be by monday or tuesday to get them - WTH? Then I thought someone else would be by Friday to get them - OMG people suck lol

myspirit
04-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Ours is a wantcycle. Asking for cars, houses stuff that you wouldn't believe. I did give away a whole house water filter thru them. Quick pickup too. Saw her in town selling it at a yard sale. I didn't really care, we just wanted it gone.

veronamom
04-28-2008, 03:58 AM
On our local freecycle site their is a lady looking for brand a new couch and a new table and chairs. I think that is asking for alot. Some people sure do take advantage of this.

volkswagon7
04-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Our freecycle had a lady like that yesterday. She had 5 posts in a row asking for things. Stove, frig, couches, beds, trampoline, swingset, and something else.

DBackFan
04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I love freecycle. Ours is a small group so only a few posts a day. Our moderatopr is pretty lax so we get posts for jobs etc once in awhile too but its no big deal to me I just don't click it.
I just gave away a bunch of stuff while we were remodeling but I have also gotten some great stuff.
Like I posted I wanted a small hibachi and weenie roasting sticks for camping and this guy is making me some! He collects old propane tanks and torch cuts them and paints etc, he is the perfect freecycler...lol
Anyway my point is this. Its a free service and yes it must be hard to moderate a large group but ours just has fun with it.

Willow
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I posted my first "want" for maternity clothes on ours last week. I joined the site over a year ago when Kevin and I got married. We had stuff to get rid of when he moved in. I have noticed that there are a few people who will post four or five wants in a row. Yesterday there was a woman looking for full size bed sheets for a bed that was being given to her daughter. This morning there was a post saying that things fell through and that they didn't get the bed so now she has a post asking for a full size bed, with rails but with no bookcase headboard and must be in good condition. I can understand wanting something like that to be in good condition but some people are pretty picky about something they are going to get for free.

janelle
04-28-2008, 01:01 PM
The vets send me their pick bags and tell me when they will be in my neighborhood to pick up so I put things in them and anything else. It's very easy that way and no hassle. Never tried freecycle.

wyozozo
05-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I posted an offer on my freecycle and this was the charming response I received:

when and where

Bliss
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
The vets send me their pick bags and tell me when they will be in my neighborhood to pick up so I put things in them and anything else. It's very easy that way and no hassle. Never tried freecycle.

I give to VA also... I've never bothered with freecycle. Don't particularly want strangers coming to my home. To many nuts in this world without inviting them.:slap

buglebe
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I belong to freecycle but I have had too many people not show up so I just gave a bunch of stuff to the Salvation Army. But there was someone who asked for a large wheelchair for her mom. It made my day to be able to help out such nice, and appreciative people.

mirage7000
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Way too many creeps around. I donate to salvation army. My head is full of creepy real life stories. Would I want jerks to know where I live to pick up things? In this day better have a gun in hand!