PDA

View Full Version : Son's soccer team

taz69
04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
My son is on his high school soccer team. This is his second year with them. This year the coach let anyone who wanted to join on the team, and they have 28 players! Coach has his favorite starting squad, and he has only been trading out one or two guys. the result is that at least 12 kids-my son included - have not played at all in the last 5 games! We pay $170 for him to be on the team- a bit high for him to warm the bench. There are 8 of us going to see the coach tomorrow-these kids are ready to quit! They are all decent players, but they are not getting any experience on the field at all. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

ladybugva
04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
wow that would make me mad also. You pay to be on the team plus all the extra expenses that's inexcusable that he and the other guys don't play for several games. Glad all of you are talking to the coach

iluvmybaby
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I have never heard of fees being that expensive, did that include uniforms?

flute
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Yea I thought $30 for baseball was bad!

kelblend
04-07-2008, 10:04 PM
My son experienced this at first on a basketball team this year. We paid $90 for that team. When he tried out and made it, we were given a sheet saying that not all players play equal time and so on. He did end up playing quite a bit though. So we knew that going in, but if he hadn't played him atall I would have been ticked. He's now on a team we had to pay $175 for. It's an AAU basketball team. THere are 10 boys on it. I have to say that this coach is playing all of them a fair amount. Darn sure better!

I understand where you are coming from and I would say something. He's had plenty of time to work the other boys in.

stresseater
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
That is how it is in high school a lot of places. Kids who play high school sports are doing so a lot of the time to increase their chances of a scholarship. Scouts have so many schools to look at to find talent that they will often overlook good players if they are on teams that aren't so good. If your son wants to play just to be playing I would suggest looking into little league organizations.

taz69
04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Our soccer team is not financed by the school at all. We are mad because they did not even get new uniforms this year for the fees. I don't think anyone on the team is going for a soccer scholarship, and there are no little league soccer options for him. I feel that they should have try-outs, and only allow a certain number of players on the team, giving them more of an opportunity to play if they do make it.

PrincessArky
04-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Just wanted to wish you good luck at the school

jedmatters
04-08-2008, 04:52 AM
How is it a high school team, but not organized or financed through the school?
This is a new one to me..... does your son attend a private school?
I truly have never heard of someone paying to join a team from the school: paying for the team shirts, YES... but not uniforms, or the actual team fees.

You may need to look at all the papers you signed when he entered the team. It may contain the wording that states that not all players will play equal times. Make sure you know the wording well before you approach the coach. You want all your ducks in a row.
Also, if it is connected to the school in anyway: ask for a meeting with the Athletic Director, or the principal. Ask for their input on the issue.

taz69
04-08-2008, 05:33 AM
The coach stated to us that he is trying to "make a winning team". We have not won a game all season, so I do not understand why he can't put some of these other kids in? He said they need to "earn" their spot-which I agree on, but my son has been to every practice except one, played all last year, scored a goal in pre-season (the one game he played in), and still is not playing. There is a freshaman, a kid that has been with the team 4 weeks (his dad is pals with the coach) and a kid who did not play last year, but decided 3 weeks ago to play-they are all starters. How does he expect to get loyalty to the team, or even see what any of these kids can do if he doesn't play them?
It is not a private school-just a public school in Tennessee. The school does not give us any funding, it all goes to football/softball/track. The girls and boys soccer teams raise their own money.
I hate for my son to quit, but I think that will be the outcome of all this. I hate it because he loves soccer, but the coach has made his position known, and it does not include my son, or the other 10 bench warmers. The team WILL be missing $1700 in financing next year, because we will not be paying for our sons to be on this "team".
All this time I have been encouraging him not to quit, but now I will just keep my mouth shut and let him decide.

junebugger
04-08-2008, 05:37 AM
How is it a high school team, but not organized or financed through the school?
This is a new one to me..... does your son attend a private school?
I truly have never heard of someone paying to join a team from the school: paying for the team shirts, YES... but not uniforms, or the actual team fees.

I think alot of schools are doing the pay to play now-they "cannot afford" anything-so instead of cutting out the sports you have to pay.

Also the AAU teams are alot more $$ then the regular school sports-I know at our school-they have a cap of how much $ a family pays each year(ie: if your child is in more than 1 sport that year)

Its alot differant than when I was in school as well-you only paid for food and maybe did the fund raisers for new things.

jedmatters
04-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Wow. That does not happen here.
There are fund raisers for sports, and organizations: but it for trips, or parties. The school funds all meals, and uniforms, as well and transportation to the competitions. This goes for sports, academic events, fine arts, etc.
No public school in our area has parents pay to have a student join any group.
I guess it is just state to state difference.

PrincessArky
04-08-2008, 06:13 AM
The coach stated to us that he is trying to "make a winning team". We have not won a game all season, so I do not understand why he can't put some of these other kids in? He said they need to "earn" their spot-which I agree on, but my son has been to every practice except one, played all last year, scored a goal in pre-season (the one game he played in), and still is not playing. There is a freshaman, a kid that has been with the team 4 weeks (his dad is pals with the coach) and a kid who did not play last year, but decided 3 weeks ago to play-they are all starters. How does he expect to get loyalty to the team, or even see what any of these kids can do if he doesn't play them?
It is not a private school-just a public school in Tennessee. The school does not give us any funding, it all goes to football/softball/track. The girls and boys soccer teams raise their own money.
I hate for my son to quit, but I think that will be the outcome of all this. I hate it because he loves soccer, but the coach has made his position known, and it does not include my son, or the other 10 bench warmers. The team WILL be missing $1700 in financing next year, because we will not be paying for our sons to be on this "team".
All this time I have been encouraging him not to quit, but now I will just keep my mouth shut and let him decide.

gosh I sure feel sorry for those kids that dont get to play........my son LOVED football and baseball came across the same freaking coach who ONLY plays HIS son, relatives and any of their friends. When it comes to football he kicked major butt when he was a very little 4th grader lol (playing 6th grade teams that even our own 6th graders would NOT play) then this coach comes along in 5th grade and treated my son and others like crap. I told my son he had no choice but to finish out the year (because it is important to learn obligations early and to finish what you start) but as for the future years of playing it was up to him. He is in 7th grade now and plays no sports nor do most of the other kids that got the shaft :( Coaches care only about winning as do the parents of most of the "playing" kids so it is hard battle and a very painful lesson for kids to learn :(

kelblend
04-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Oh, I've seen how the coaches kid plays the whole game every game. Sucks doesn't it? It especially sucks when they aren't any better than anyone else.

We have a basketball league for elementary kids. It's supposed to teach love of the game and so on. Every kid is to play at least 2 quarters a game and has to sit out at least one. Yes, it's 4 quarters, but differing amount of kids on teams. There are a couple teams who play their largest and tallest kids the whole game just to win it. It's sad that even when the rules are there for them to be able to enjoy and play that not everyone follows them.
Our area you have to pay to play in school sports. When the levy didn't pass it was even worse. In the end, they pushed that levy 3 frickin times in one year and finally got most of what they wanted. I want new money managers, but that's another vent.
Sorry OP went off on a tangent there.

Have I given you the idea that I think a lot of people can suck a lot of the time?