PDA

View Full Version : Did ya see Oprah today? Puppy Mills

Shann
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
it was so so so very sad. It's disgusting how people are allowed to treat the dogs at the puppy mills or how many there are or how not many know what actually goes on in them. They showed one in PA that had little poms in cages outside and they are there year round.. holy f'n cow, those dogs are NOT out door dogs I cannot imagine what they go through :sad I :sob throug the whole second half of the episode. I hope this is a wake up call for many people, I hope more people look to adopting instead of buying through a pet store and I hope all those who operate/work at puppy mills and mistreat any animal burns in hell. It's sick and disgusting and I wish there was more going on to shut these puppy mills and animal auctions down. :sob :sob :cry :cry ugh I just feel so sick right now :( just heart breaking

ilovecats
04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I didn't see the show but have seen similar stories before.You are right,it is disgusting!I just don't understand how people could treat animals like that and not feel bad about it.

ahippiechic
04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
My step-dad breeds Begals and my aunt breeds Poms. And in no way are they like puppy mills. I went to Atlanta a few years ago with my aunt to look at some Poms she was thinking of buying and that place was a puppy mill. 4 or more puppies in each cage, outside in the heat, no cover or anything and they were soo scared of us, like they'd never been petted or anything! We were both crying when we left. :(

squirt661
04-04-2008, 05:29 PM
OK all, just my opinion. We all know many puppy mills abuse their animals, and so far no one has been legally able to shut them down. It is a real shame how they do treat them. In my opinion, for Ophra to broadcast this show, had nothing to do with her care for animals, except for us all to watch the cruel treatment over and over. Though, I do remember, she recently did lose one of her dogs, and I do not remember what from. With her big bucks, instead of making this her best broadcast, maybe she should spend some of them big bucks she has to have them closed, as in my opinion, NO cruelty to any animal in any way, should be accepted. Again, just my opinion. SS, if I offended anyone. Thanks for listening.

Shann
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
someone actually put up a billboard near Oprah's studio so when she drove to work she would see it asking her to do a story on puppy mills, she didn't do it for herself, she did it the people who requested and every innocent animal out there suffering from the hands of a-holes

and before I get flamed, I'm not referring to responsible breeders I'm referring to the low down scum who only care about using animals to make a buck and doesn't care about their well being.

Before I left for the store I gave my dogs a treat and it hit me that those dogs never get treats and never have anyone throw them a puppy bday party or get homemade goodies and it just made me so sad. I wish I could save them all :sob

ahippiechic
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I just don't see how so many get away with it. My stepdad and aunt get regular inspections from the AKC and they are pretty strict. She got fined once because one of the puppies in a litter had lost it's ID collar. And she makes pretty good money selling her Poms, but she doesn't try to raise more than she take of either. They have a really nice place and they all get good care and lots of love and attention. And she's picky about who she sells to also.

My stepdad sells some of his beagels as puppies, but a lot he keeps longer and begins their training to hunt, so he spends a lot of time with them. There are several hunters in town that he refuses to sell to because he has been in the woods with them and knows how they treat their dogs.

Jenefer3
04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I didn't see the Oprah show but I was watching Animal Cops and they showed them seizing dogs from a puppy mill. American bulldogs (or something like that)...some didnt' have water, some didn't have food, and others hadn't had their very small cages cleaned out in a long time. They took in 47 dogs and found 34 dead dogs in different stages of decay. There were 2 puppies there and they were in good condition. Someone on the show said the people used the dogs until they died and just focused on the puppies because that's what makes them the money. It was so sad. One of those dogs weighed 40 lbs and you could see every single one of it's bones....it just broke my heart :(

Nanc952
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I missed the beginning of the show but what I did see was sad. :(
the way some of the animals looked and those being put down made me cry.

We have had a old dogs that came from a puppy mill, one was a german shepard that got too old to have lots of puppies and she was given to us. It took the longest time to get her to walk threw a hallway in the house and if she saw a closet she filliped out, she was forced bred by being put in a crate. The way we got the dog is odd a man that was a breeder (found that out later)was at our house my Mother had said that she wanted a german shepard and later that day he drove up to the house and pitched her out. She was skin and bones, and about 1 months after we got her, her rear came out and the vet said it was from being bred so much without rest. Yes we did visit his place and the smell would knock you down but he was a big wheel in our town and he could do no wrong. ( He has passed away so he won't breed anymore)

Some people are good with their pets that they breed but the bad ones hurt everyone, most of all the dog's.

ttistin
04-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I watched the Oprah show today and I also watched the Animal Cops show that was mentioned. I cried the whole time I watched them. I do not understand how you can treat a living animal like that. I do hope that with these shows out that the laws will change and these people will not be allowed to do these types of things. It is abusing a animal that can't change it or do anything about it, only we as humans can.

Char
04-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I watched it, I made myself. Being a realist, I make myself deal with things, no matter how uncomfortable... Hubster would just as soon not watch...but, this he did.

I cried for most of the show... hubster lost it when they showed the dog being put down. Anytime we have to have a dog put down, hubster does it, I just can't. So anyways, it was really hard on him, 'cause it brought back hard core memories of the last three dogs he 'did'. We always have big dogs, like 90+ pounders, and, they always end up with hind legs that quit working due to arthritis/hip dysplasia.

I think I could kill someone if they hurt one of my dogs. It breaks my heart, seeing those animals treated like trash... it's disgusting.

PLEASE PEOPLE, PRETTY PLEASE EVEN, SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS !

The shelters are just overflowing !

myspirit
04-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Please People, Pretty Please Even, Spay And Neuter Your Pets !

Willow
04-05-2008, 04:59 AM
We saw a preview and I told Kevin I didn't want to watch it because I can't stand seeing animals being treated bad. We don't normally watch Oprah anyway. It's even hard to watch Animal Cops sometimes but at least at the end of the show they show the animals being saved and going to new homes.

vicky122
04-05-2008, 05:02 AM
And then you read something like this.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/878906,4_1_JO05_PUPPY_S1.article

4diego
04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I lost my first rescue dog, Circe, early last month. It was a week after her third birthday. She was a true joy and companion and showed little emotional damage from being in a puppy mill. When she passed, my husband brought home another rescue puppy. She's actually 3 1/2 yrs. old but she's a chihauhau (long haired) so I call her a puppy. She is just now starting to not shake when I hold her. She didn't understand grass, leashes, treats, love, etc... at all. Now, she will walk on the leash and is potty trained. She loves to go outside and walk in the grass. She'll even eat a dog treat if I leave it in her food dish, she still won't eat in front of us though. She may never be what she could've been had she not been used to breed who knows how many puppies and never pet, etc... But she will spend the rest of her life with me and she'll be as happy as I can make her! Missouri is really bad for having so many puppy mills, it makes me sick. I spoke with one of the rescue groups and was told that by MO law, the dogs don't have to even be taken from their cages for baths. If the breeder power washes them in their cages at least once a year they are following our laws. It's all just sick!

Nanc952
04-05-2008, 07:52 AM
And then you read something like this.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/878906,4_1_JO05_PUPPY_S1.article

That article makes you ill but then like I said it is who you know not what you do that counts in lots of areas.

But now total dumb question they said she put in a exhaust fan yes that would be needed but putting in a sink how would that help the dogs? Just don't understand the sink part.
Also anyone with half a brain would know the dogs on the bottom of 4 cages high are going to get wet water (pee sorry) runs down.

4diego they power wash dogs? awful just awful would love to do that to them.

I think? in MO it is 4 dogs you can have before you have to be inspected? not sure?

4diego
04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure on all the laws but I know there's usually a puppy mill busted about once a month around here. That's why we always get rescue dogs, I paid $100 for each of the two I've adopted but it goes towards helping them save more animals.

The deal with potty training them is hard. Before, they just went in their cages. And yes, all the droppings from one cage go down onto the other cages. I don't see how people can sell a litter of these puppies and make a lot from them, then still mistreat the dogs they are using to breed the puppies in the first place.

ma4angels
04-05-2008, 01:51 PM
My husband was watching it yesterday I was working. He said that it was sick the way these animals were treated. They sell all the puppies to pet stores I think that is what he said. He told me about it this morning.

evrita
04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I have 2 pruebreds and I got them of breeders and I have them spayed and nutered because I dont have time for breeding