PDA

View Full Version : Migraine/ period

Quaker_Parrots
04-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Does anyone suffer from Menstrual migraines? I am trying to get some perspective from personal experiences.

I am 36, I had a tubal ligation 9 years ago. I have noticed with my last 3 cycles, I have gotten a migraine just before my period, within a day up to just a few hours before I start. Fortunately, I dont get severe migraines. Just the constant pain and nausea.

This is a new twist to my periods. Does anyone else have this happen? and what do you do to try to prevent it?

Any advice to help me cope with this new twist? I have done research, and I know it is a valid condition, just wanted to see what you all do if you have the same problem.

ilikefree
04-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I get these too, but not every month. It is so irritating, wondering when and if the migraine is going to hit. I have Excedrin Migraine that I take, but even that takes longer than I'd like to start working. I usually just have to shut myself in my dark bedroom away from the kids until it goes away. Mine don't last a REAL long time, but long enough. Hope you can get some relief.

CLARKS4
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
I had a tubal 2 years ago after my last child. After that I started having menstrual migraines they would last for days. I woud take advil and it would knock the edge off but wouldnt get rid of it. I just recently was started on meds for pre diabetes, its been a month and half. I have had 2 cycles but didnt have migraine with neither one.

ElleGee
04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I was told (not sure how true it is) menstral migraines are from a lack of magnesium..

sheila_361
04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
I get them as well, but not every month some will be before I start and sometimes during.

flute
04-04-2008, 07:12 AM
I suffer from headaches every waking moment - the drs have found nothing wrong & tell me they're normal (I was in a car accident)

I"ve tried: aleve, motrin script strength, regular aspirin, excedrin migrane, excedrin tension, extra strength tylenol & been given a script for some med - nothings worked yet (and I mean I'm taking those not 1 day at a time that's what I take daily) if I find a cure I'll let ya know!!

galeane29
04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I have 6 kids, a husband, 3 dogs, 2 birds, a mortgage...gah, is'nt that enough to give anyone a migraine? LMAO

Seriously, I had to get tons of tests done just to find out its stress. But then they all started since I quit smoking over 3 years ago....go figure.

tarasdream
04-04-2008, 07:21 AM
my daughter takes topomax,

aneisu
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I get those too - like clockwork! For me being on continous birth control is the only thing that helped. Basically I skip my period, so no migraine!

Quaker_Parrots
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
I was told (not sure how true it is) menstral migraines are from a lack of magnesium..

I saw that online somewhere too. Someone even suggested lack of iodine in their diet too. We have been using sea salt. So I havent been getting the iodine in my salt that I used to.

tracyb
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I have started getting them the last few months...drives me nuts....I can not wait for menapause to kick in...been having hot flashes for a few yrs now but the rest is still coming...ughhhhh...

mannerswife
04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
QuakerParrot-Unfortunatly I know exactly how you feel.I have been getting magraines since I was a little girl.Then when I was old enough to start my period they starting coming more and more.I don't know if you are on birth control or not but I used to take the pill and when I stopped that made a big difference.When I was on the pill I would get them EVERY month and they would last for days.There were many of times I could not even feed my own babies when they were little I was so sick.I finally went off them and noticed a big change real quick , where I wasn't getting them as much and when I did they wouldn't last as long.Then about ten years ago they started coming again monthly with my period.I take Zomig for them and it worked great for a while and then they got worse again.This time they were so bad that the prescribed meds weren't working and I would have to go to the hopital each month for a shot.Finally my Gynocoligist suggested the Depo shot.She said she had heard of it ,taking the migranes away on some and not on others.The down side to the shot is the weight gain but I was willing to give it a try, I was so sick of the pain and they really can ruin your life.I started the shot about six years ago and what a change it made.I only go the hospital{which I did two weeks ago** about once every year and a half or so now.I still get them now and then but my medicine once again works most of the time, and yes I did gain weight but in my opinion it was worth it.I hope you find something that works for you because migranes are terrible to have.Also like someone else posted when you do get them if you are able to go into a dark room with total silence and I put cold washclothes on my forehead and the back of my neck.That seems to help some.Good Luck To You.

Quaker_Parrots
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I take absolutely no meds. I had my tubes tied, so I dont need BC. The only time I was ever on BC was between my 2 kids, and lets just say I wasnt a very nice person to live with for those 8 months. I even scared DH back then, lol.

My migraines arent bad. They are tolerable, other than the nausea. I never even had that when I was pregnant. It just really irks me that it is happening now before my periods.

I think I might try going back to regular table salt and see if the iodine helps, and maybe add a magnesium supplement. I really dont want to get started on the hormone stuff yet since what I am dealing with is tolerable.

flute
04-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I get nauseous now before my periods too - it's weird - dr says nothings wrong ~ that's caused by pregnancy..
(LOL - can you see pattern here? Blood coming out my ears - you're fine, chest pains, you're fine, heart murmur you're fine, lol)

I love him but I feel like he doesn't take anything seriously! DANG HIM

ElleGee
04-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I have a condition called Dysmenorrhea. Many FMS patients have this.

Signs and symptoms:
The main symptom of dysmenorrhea is pain centering in the lower abdomen, which may radiate to the thighs and lower back. Other symptoms may include nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, headache, and fatigue. Symptoms of dysmenorrhea usually begin a few hours before the start of menstruation, and may continue for a few days.

It's a lot of fun...not. There is allso PPMD and all that jazz. If I were you I defo see the doc though..

cathych
04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
the migraines are caUsed by the flucuations in your hormones. That is why a lot of women on b/c pills get them too. There is really nothing you can do unfortunately. I used to get them all the time. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 40, and like magic they stopped. Also a lot of women find that this is one of the benefits to pregnancy. NO headaches.