PDA

View Full Version : Failed my 3 hour fasting blood sugar

Memedav
04-02-2008, 03:29 AM
:getyou Ugh, no more late night slurpees or Cherry Coke. My OB let me know yesterday when I went for my non stress test. I've never been a big "sweets" person but I'm soooo gonna miss the cherry coke. I have been staying so thirsty all day and all night, so I guess maybe the high glucose level is why? Oh well, small price to pay for a healthy baby :stork

myspirit
04-02-2008, 03:32 AM
yep, we all want you to have a healthy little one. Brightest Blessings!

PrincessArky
04-02-2008, 04:22 AM
ah I am sorry to here that but yep you will have a very healthy baby w/out the coke

ladybugva
04-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I am sorry for that b/c I can feel your pain on the cherry coke that's my drink vice also. I have had a hard time giving it up when I switched to mostly diet drinks b/c I don't like diet cherry coke

Anig2u
04-02-2008, 04:56 AM
I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies and was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 30. It runs in my family, my Dad, and both grandparents. It sucks! Not everyone that has it during pregnancy ends up getting it, but a good chance later on in life.

I found the best diet for diabetes is the Richard Simmons diet, because it breaks everything down so you know how much starch, meats, fruits & veggies. Then it tells you anything that is free to eat, meaning it doesnt affect your blood sugar or many calories, like cukes, pickles, mustard like on sandwiches..more I just can't remember. I am sure you can find out more from a book or online, but it is a very healthy diet, and you get everything you need for nutrients. An example of a breakfast would be...1 Piece of toast, 1 tsp butter, an egg, 8 0z glass of milk.. or 1 piece of toast with 1 tblsp of peanut butter and a 8 0z glass of milk. For lunch, 2 oz of lunch meat, 2 slices of bread, lettuce tomatoe and small amount of mayo or mustard. A dinner would be an ounce of lean meat, small baked potato, a veggie like broccoli..corn or peas adds an extra startch. Then you can have 2 or 3 snacks during the day, like a yogurt, fruit, small banana or a small apple. Basically it's 4 starches, 4 meats, 2 or 3 fruits and veggies and 2 or 3 healthy snacks, like nuts, fruits...etc along with anything that is a freebie food. When my sugars go up this is the diet I follow to get them back in check. You can use artificial sweetness if you want, but I don't trust any of them as being safe. Hope this helps!!

Lild
04-02-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm sorry, I know what it feels like to have a prego craving but I always got what I wanted :( , I just hope everything turns out well for you...

Willow
04-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh I'm sorry. I'm not looking forward to drinking that nasty stuff. My doctor told me they have orange flavor in addition to the cola flavor now. I might try the orange. I have a ways to go before I have to have that test though.

Lild
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Oh I'm sorry. I'm not looking forward to drinking that nasty stuff. My doctor told me they have orange flavor in addition to the cola flavor now. I might try the orange. I have a ways to go before I have to have that test though.

IMO the orange was waaay better than the cola flavor... it was actually drinkable, I kept gagging on the cola..

evrita
04-02-2008, 06:57 AM
I had it with all 3 of my children and I was told later in life I would probally have it and BTW to this day if I smell orange soda I want to puke

Willow
04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
IMO the orange was waaay better than the cola flavor... it was actually drinkable, I kept gagging on the cola..

Thanks! I think that's the one I will have. I didn't like the cola one at all. I know you're not supposed to like it but you know what I mean. LOL It tasted like nasty flat syrupy coke. Yuk!

PrincessArky
04-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks! I think that's the one I will have. I didn't like the cola one at all. I know you're not supposed to like it but you know what I mean. LOL It tasted like nasty flat syrupy coke. Yuk!

Oh I heard that having 4 kids I did this test more than once and the cola and the orange are just terrible........I swear trying to get that WHOLE bottle of stuff down I was in tears before it was over

Willow
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh I heard that having 4 kids I did this test more than once and the cola and the orange are just terrible........I swear trying to get that WHOLE bottle of stuff down I was in tears before it was over

I read in a book (can't remember which one) that eating 14 jelly beans works just the same as drinking that stuff. If that's true I don't know why they wouldn't just give women the jelly means instead of them gagging on that crap.

PrincessArky
04-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I read in a book (can't remember which one) that eating 14 jelly beans works just the same as drinking that stuff. If that's true I don't know why they wouldn't just give women the jelly means instead of them gagging on that crap.

no joke that would be so much better especially if I could pick the flavors lol that other stuff was like drinking liquid sugar :(

Anig2u
04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I love jelly bellys lol

Memedav
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Gina, thank you for all that info! I've been seriously trying to eat extra healthy since I was so sick early on in this pregnancy. I've been trying to make every calorie count as something healthy for the baby. Of course my hubby is like, "Just give all sugar up"....all the while sipping on his Pepsi! lol Whateva! I'm not typically a big soda drinker but I've wanted cola slurpees and cherry coke this time around.

I was only offered the orange drink, I think it was around a 8-10 bottle. I'm not much for orange soda or anything, so I didn't enjoy it. lol It figures that there was no cola one for me this time around. I think it made me feel sick due to the fasting beforehand and I've been nauseous the whole pregnancy....along with the fact that they want you to drink it in under 5 minutes. I did get a horrible headache each time after drinking it though. Right now I see my regular OB twice a week and she's going to check my levels at each appt. So for now I'm just being a bit more careful . Thanks again everyone for your responses!

SLance68
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
The reason you were constantly thirsty was the high blood sugar. I have been a insulin dependent diabetic for 20 years. It is no fun but - Diet Cherry Coke is pretty good and so is the Coke Zero Cherry. Anig2U actually had a good suggestion - the Richard Simmons "deal a meal" plan is the exact diet as the Am Diabetes Association Exchange diet plan.

vicky122
04-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having.