PDA

View Full Version : Tubal stories~ women only

Lild
04-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I am done having children now, and am going to get my "tubes tied"
My doctor explained how the procedure goes, but he can't really tell me how bad it's going to be like women can. I had planned to do it when I had my son, but do to complications, the doc said he wouldn't do it then.
any information on the pain and down time would be greatly appreciated. Also I have heard that it can make your periods heavier...

Willow
04-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I had thought about it at one time too but decided against it after I heard a lot of horror stories. I know everybody is different and some people have had good luck with them but I just didn't want to take the chance. I opted for the Mirena IUD instead. The doctor that inserted it said that the chance of becoming pregnant with the IUD is actually lower than with a tubal ligation. I read the pamphlet because I wanted to find out for myself and the pamphlet says that also. After the baby is born I'm going to get it again.

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 07:57 AM
I had thought about it at one time too but decided against it after I heard a lot of horror stories. I know everybody is different and some people have had good luck with them but I just didn't want to take the chance. I opted for the Mirena IUD instead. The doctor that inserted it said that the chance of becoming pregnant with the IUD is actually lower than a tubal ligation. I read the pamphlet because I wanted to find out for myself and the pamphlet says that also. After the baby is born I'm going to get it again.

I was gonna do the IUD but ended up going with tubal IF I could go back and make the decision over I would do IUD simply because the tubal has changed my body........yep I have put on weight but during my cycle is even worse than before.......I literally have days that I now live on the couch while my children play around me because I hurt so badly

flute
04-01-2008, 07:57 AM
My sister did that - she didn't even tell us until a couple months or so had passed. She had it done about 16 months ago (or was it 2 1/2 years ago?) anyway, that I know of no problems ~

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I had thought about it at one time too but decided against it after I heard a lot of horror stories. I know everybody is different and some people have had good luck with them but I just didn't want to take the chance. I opted for the Mirena IUD instead. The doctor that inserted it said that the chance of becoming pregnant with the IUD is actually lower than with a tubal ligation. I read the pamphlet because I wanted to find out for myself and the pamphlet says that also. After the baby is born I'm going to get it again.

I was thinking about doing that as an alterative also, so no problems with the IUD?

ElleGee
04-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I had one.. It was 5 years ago.
I was laid up for about a week and I am not good with pain tbh. It was a laproscopic surgery. The doc was going to rubber band my tubes and it cuts off the blood cirulation and drops off. Unfortunately my tubes were too thick so he cut and corterized them.
I slept most of the time I was recouoperating, but it was really painful to me

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:04 AM
The pain and downtime is my major concern, I can't have my little ones running around while I am hurting... I'm scared and uncertain, the only certain thing is, I know I do not want anymore babies.... I got everything I ever wanted with my 4

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I was thinking about doing that as an alterative also, so no problems with the IUD?

None at all. I loved it. There is no remembering to take pills or anything like that. Once you've been fitted with it you can pretty much forget about it. You don't even know it's there. The one I had was good for five years. I had it removed last July because we wanted to have a baby. It was removed the middle of July and we conceived in December. Some people will actually stop getting their periods all together. That didn't happen for me. I still got them but I didn't always get one every month and when I did get one it was much lighter and shorter than before. For the first six months I did have sporadic bleeding but they say that's normal as it takes time for your body to adjust to it.

sheila_361
04-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I had mine just tied, right after having my youngest, I was 22 at the time, 11 or 12 years after the fact I became pregnant and miscarried, then became pregnant 2 more times after that and miscarried both of those as well. When you just have them tied the chance of becoming pregnant again drops to 50% after 11 years and keeps dropping after that each year, is what a dr told me. My periods did become heavier.

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
The pain and downtime is my major concern, I can't have my little ones running around while I am hurting... I'm scared and uncertain, the only certain thing is, I know I do not want anymore babies.... I got everything I ever wanted with my 4

well I can't speak for anyone but myself. I had no downtime to be honest and I had my tubes tied right after a C section. But I had no choice hubby was at work I was home with the kids so things had to be done. My only problem was ripping my tummy from the c section because I did too much lol

I do have down time now because of how intense my cycles are........so I am the mom on the couch a couple of days a month while my 3 and 4 yr olds destory my house

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
well I can't speak for anyone but myself. I had no downtime to be honest and I had my tubes tied right after a C section. But I had no choice hubby was at work I was home with the kids so things had to be done. My only problem was ripping my tummy from the c section because I did too much lol

I do have down time now because of how intense my cycles are........so I am the mom on the couch a couple of days a month while my 3 and 4 yr olds destory my house

So your cycles weren't bad until you tied them? And lol with the 3 and 4 yr old destroy your house, even when I am not on the couch mine destroy mine... I remember when my house use to be so spotless, and days weren't stressful:dancing:

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
So your cycles weren't bad until you tied them? And lol with the 3 and 4 yr old destroy your house, even when I am not on the couch mine destroy mine... I remember when my house use to be so spotless, and days weren't stressful:dancing:

nope I went about my days normally, now when I was a teen and first getting them it was uncomfortable of course but as an adult I never had problems until after getting my tubes tied :( for me personally I wish I had just done the IUD instead of the tubal.........yep my kids make a mess all the time but during that time I just cant get up and clean it up :(

LorLee14
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Patchouli, I'm glad to hear you have no complaints with Mirena. I have an appointment to get the same thing. I have been worried and hope that I have made the right choice. I know things affect everyone differently but I still feel better hearing something positive about it. Thanks.

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Patchouli, I'm glad to hear you have no complaints with Mirena. I have an appointment to get the same thing. I have been worried and hope that I have made the right choice. I know things affect everyone differently but I still feel better hearing something positive about it. Thanks.

You're welcome! It's a very quick procedure. All I felt was a tiny pinch and that was it. They did have me lay there for about 10 minutes afterwards and then I was told I could leave.

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Did you have to get it placed while on your preiod?

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 08:40 AM

I know when I talked with my dr about it he told me thats how I would have to do it

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:46 AM

They said that is when they like to do it but because my periods are so irregular they didn't wait until I got one. I guess it's supposed to be more comfortable if they do it when you are menstruating but it didn't bother me other than a slight pinch.

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
I am really starting to think that would be a better solution to my problem... They have the IUD's that last up to 10yrs correct?

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I am really starting to think that would be a better solution to my problem... They have the IUD's that last up to 10yrs correct?

Yes, they do.

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
They said that is when they like to do it but because my periods are so irregular they didn't wait until I got one. I guess it's supposed to be more comfortable if they do it when you are menstruating but it didn't bother me other than a slight pinch.

now had my dr told me that part I could have stopped at 3 kids lol ah but I love my little Ethan too :)

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
My doc said something about my scar tissue possibly growing around it if I got one...BUT I think I am going to talk to him a little more about it and weigh the pros and cons..... I would rather do that than surgery

Lild
04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
now had my dr told me that part I could have stopped at 3 kids lol ah but I love my little Ethan too :)

You have 4 too!!

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM

:rofl:

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
You have 4 too!!

oh yeah and feels more like a dozen lol

mine are 12, 10, 4, and 3

I have a long way to go :(

Willow
04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
My doc said something about my scar tissue possibly growing around it if I got one...BUT I think I am going to talk to him a little more about it and weigh the pros and cons..... I would rather do that than surgery

I had an appointment with the doctor to discuss getting a tubal ligation and it was actually the doctor that talked me out of it. She said if I really wanted one she would perfom it but then she told me about the Mireana. She uses it herself. I'm so glad I chose that option.

Lild
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Mine are 6, 4, 3, and 19mths...
I got a loooong way too...

and my doc is ancient, he doesn't like "newer" things, but I am going to take into consideration about the scar tissue... I have a lot in there and am scared that there is a chance I would have to have surgery to cut it out of it... BUT, I am going to get a 2nd opinion after talking with you b/c it is something I would want...My doc really didn't want to discuss it other than to tell me that..

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Mine are 6, 4, 3, and 19mths...
I got a loooong way too...

and my doc is ancient, he doesn't like "newer" things, but I am going to take into consideration about the scar tissue... I have a lot in there and am scared that there is a chance I would have to have surgery to cut it out of it... BUT, I am going to get a 2nd opinion after talking with you b/c it is something I would want...My doc really didn't want to discuss it other than to tell me that..

oh my I dont envy the ages of your kids lol

once they hit about 2 I wanna give them back but nobody to give them too lol I love babies

ElleGee
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I have Dysmenorrhoea so my cycles stayed the same after I got mine tied:(

littlered1
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Almost everyone has heavier periods the older they get so don't autimatically assume that is from getting your tubes tied.
It is a big decision though... I only have one (adult) child but I wish I would have had more before I had mine tied, I would not have done it if I could change it. That was the only time I have ever been put under and it was horrible. That was the worst part. Being sick when you come out.
My sister had real bad complications with her iud though, so the best thing you can do is get a second opinion, or even a third on this one. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with your doctor. My gynocologist is fantastic, BUT it took a long time to find her.
I've had mine tied for about 15 years... I haven't gained any weight and all the bleeding issues are things since I've turned 40 and my doctor said perimenopausal.
Good luck, and let us know how you do!!!!
If I was there I'd offer to babysit for ya while you were recuperating!!!!

PrincessArky
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Almost everyone has heavier periods the older they get so don't autimatically assume that is from getting your tubes tied.

I didn't assume anything..........going on what happen right after I got my tubes tied AND what dr's have since told me thank you very much

Memedav
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I've been thinking over the tubal also. Right now I have severe anemia and my OB told me this morning that she isn't sure she will be able to do the tubal when I have my C-section because she feels pretty sure the bleeding will be bad. I'd love to try for a boy but this pregnancy has been tough and I'm not sure I'm up for it again, plus it seems to get harder with age...or at least for me. My periods were horrific before so I can't even imagine them getting worse. I guess I'll have to buy stock in Tampax because I swear I keep them in business! lol

MistyWolf
04-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I had mine done after my 8 year old was born and it's the best thing I've ever done. It wasn't horrible and my periods aren't any heavier than they were before.

Everyone I know who has had theirs tied have no problems and love it.

hblueeyes
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I had mine cut 18 years ago. I wanted them tied,braided,cut,burned etc. I had 4 boys and that was enough. I was down for about 24 hours and soaked it for another 24. Minimal pain and my periods stayed the same. I wanted a hysterectomy but the doc said I was too young at 30.

I did not do the IUD because of the horror pics I saw of babies born with IUD embedded in their skull, o5r back,etc.

Me

jedmatters
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Had my tubal in 1997. 10 hours after I gave a vag birth.
No real trouble from it. My tubes were cut and a small amount removed.

My periods did not change until I was 36.... Then they became irratic. I go 6 to 7 weeks between periods now, and they are still the same 2 to 3 days they always have been. But I know that has nothing to do with the tubal. My gyn said I am growing older (GASP)

I had 2 children,7 years apart, and I have one kidney, and had an eacting disorder. I was unable to carry anymore children, and do so safely.

It was truly the best decision for me, and I do not have any side effects from the procedure. The surgery took 45 minutes, and I was already in the hospital from the birth: I went home the next day, and felt fine: with the exception of bloating for 2 days. A little heat and that went away.

socks1211
04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
ok i didnt have my tubes tied or anything but my dh did have a vasectomy and he was only out of work for 2 days no pain
can yall go that rout at all

aussiegirl
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I had mine done after my 8 year old was born and it's the best thing I've ever done. It wasn't horrible and my periods aren't any heavier than they were before.

Everyone I know who has had theirs tied have no problems and love it.

Yep, I'm one of them. I knew I was doing having children so I had mine tied. I've had no problems and my periods are the same as they were before.

However, whenever I see newborns, I get kinda sad. I just keep reminding myself, I'm over 40.

Aloha from paradise
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I had mine tied 30 years ago right after my daughter was born. The only problem I had was it hurt when I tried to blow my nose. Guess you use stomach muscles for that. I went through the change of life at 38 and so far so good:)

VenuStar
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I opted for the Mirena IUD instead. The doctor that inserted it said that the chance of becoming pregnant with the IUD is actually lower than with a tubal ligation. I read the pamphlet because I wanted to find out for myself and the pamphlet says that also. After the baby is born I'm going to get it again.

I got the ParaGard IUD...have had it for 9 years now..it'll come out in May and will be replaced with the Mirena. I love it.

Pepsi4me
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I had a tubal done 8 yrs ago & about a yr later my periods got extremly heavy & painful. I mean so heavy with clots that I would go through a super plus tampon in 30 mins. I also had to wear a pad with the tampons.

So 17 months ago I had a endometrial ablation which burns off the lining of the uterus. It made my periods go down to hardly anything & recently I have no period at all which they say usually happens 1-2 yrs after the ablation.

The tubal was not bad just a lot of pain from the gas they fill you up with during the surgery. I was fine within a couple days & yes I had small children ages 2 & 5.

slkirk22
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I have been thinking about tubal too I have tried both IUDs and they both made me bleed uncontrollably for months until I told them they had to take it back out.

Anig2u
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I personally wouldn't get the IUD, a friend of mine had one, not sure how long and ended up with cancer. I think the tubal might be ok. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Depo Provera shot..sorry if I am going off subject, I was just curious. TIA

Lild
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I personally wouldn't get the IUD, a friend of mine had one, not sure how long and ended up with cancer. I think the tubal might be ok. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Depo Provera shot..sorry if I am going off subject, I was just curious. TIA

I've heard some good stuff from friends that tried the shot, but I personally have issues with the hormones in Birth Control...it makes me crazy... even the lowest dose pill.... I also gained like 14 lbs in that 3 mths, which isn't really a problem like the craziness was..

BBELEAZAHR
04-01-2008, 03:51 PM

I have always used depo and never got a period, and I dont have any side effects from it.

Njean31
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
i don't know why they just don't do vaginal hysterectomies for everyone instead of the tube tying thing. it cuts the period completely out and you can keep your ovaries. i just had it done and it was a breeze. maybe it's considered a more riskier surgery than the tubal, i'm not sure. but that no period thing, hmmmm....you can't beat that with a stick.

Lild
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
i don't know why they just don't do vaginal hysterectomies for everyone instead of the tube tying thing. it cuts the period completely out and you can keep your ovaries. i just had it done and it was a breeze. maybe it's considered a more riskier surgery than the tubal, i'm not sure. but that no period thing, hmmmm....you can't beat that with a stick.

I want one soooooo bad:)

cpbaby
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I TOTALLY agree with this!

Originally Posted by Njean31

I had a tubal during my c/s with Sophie and have had no "problems", but I had just as soon not have anymore periods, either.

kygirl71
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I had mine tied almost 4 years ago now immediately following a C-section. I personally was in alot more pain than after my first C-section. My stomach was so swelled, I still looked pregnant. It was hard to walk, lay down, stand up or just move at all. And my periods are soooo much heavier now.

ang in NC
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I had a tubal after Megan. Un real trouble, then had a hystertomy 10 yrs later. I had it done vaginal. It was the best thing I had done. I was walking a mile in 3 days. Only took l pain pill too.

Unicornmom77
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I had a tubal done 8 yrs ago & about a yr later my periods got extremly heavy & painful. I mean so heavy with clots that I would go through a super plus tampon in 30 mins. I also had to wear a pad with the tampons.

So 17 months ago I had a endometrial ablation which burns off the lining of the uterus. It made my periods go down to hardly anything & recently I have no period at all which they say usually happens 1-2 yrs after the ablation.

The tubal was not bad just a lot of pain from the gas they fill you up with during the surgery. I was fine within a couple days & yes I had small children ages 2 & 5.

When I read your post I almost cried. I am at the stage of awful horrid periods and I cannot tolerate hormones to help them. I am going to be making an appointment to talk about this. I have been BEGGING for a hysterectomy for 4 yrs now and being just 30 this year no one would. So thank you for sharing the information!

Unicornmom77
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I've heard some good stuff from friends that tried the shot, but I personally have issues with the hormones in Birth Control...it makes me crazy... even the lowest dose pill.... I also gained like 14 lbs in that 3 mths, which isn't really a problem like the craziness was..

ME ALSO! I once tried the one pill that you only have periods like 4 times a year or three... that was the worst months of my life, seriously made me CRAZY!

MistyWolf
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Me too!! .. :) .. I am so done with having a period .. lol.

sill ahh
04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I had a tubal 2 years ago and I think it was the best thing I've ever had done. My periods are lighter now then they were before and I'm actually back into the pre preggo pants I had before my first child. I really never had any discomfort after the surgery, actually went to dinner 3 hours after I left the hospital. After 3 girls I figured I had enough and wasn't getting a boy. lol Doc told me there was a 1 in 500 chance I'd get preggo again, I told him if I did he was paying for it.

As fot the depo, I hated it, the only good thing was no periods at all, bad thing was my hair fell out and I gained a bunch of weight, oh and I also got preggo with daughter #1 while on it.

myspirit
04-02-2008, 02:46 AM
I had mine done twenty years ago at 27. No problems or pain. They made two tiny incisions, one at my navel, another at my pub hair line. I'm glad I got it done. Good luck!

PrincessArky
04-16-2008, 09:02 AM

oh me too

every month since my last baby is just more painful than the last

LunaChick
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm scheduled for a tubal on May 5th. I'm so done with taking hormones.

lassss
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
I had a tubal quite a few years ago and it didn't hurt at all. I got one stitch and they blow your tummy up with carbon dioxide, so ya might have gas afterwards lol but that's about it.

As far as periods go. Mine have always been heavy and got heavier after the procedure. I had a Novasure procedure done and that was the BEST thing I have every done for myself. They do use general anethesia but I was up and out to dinner that night. Again really no pain, I just took it easy for a couple of days