PDA

View Full Version : Senior Prank at My Son's High School

Vee030473
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
CAPE ELIZABETH (March 27, 2008): Cape Elizabeth High School was closed Monday after vandals trashed the interior, removing ceiling tiles, stuffing furniture in bathroom stalls and scrawling sexual, drug-related and profane graffiti on the walls.

Police Chief Neil Williams said 10 suspects have been identified and charges are pending. At the least, he said, the vandals could be charged with criminal mischief or aggravated criminal mischief. They also face a 10-day suspension and possible expulsion, Superintendent Alan Hawkins said.

Cape high school students will be required to make up the day on Saturday, Hawkins said.

All the suspects are seniors at the school, Hawkins said.
One of the vandals apparently entered through an unlocked window sometime Sunday night or early Monday morning and opened a locked door for the others, officials said. The school does not have an alarm system and the vandals placed tape over security video cameras, Hawkins said.

Williams said the vandalism apparently was intended as a senior prank.

“Unfortunately some of the things that they thought were pranks … it’s going to cost a little bit more to put it back together than they thought,” he said.

The damage was discovered at about 6:30 a.m. by a janitor, who contacted Hawkins. The superintendent immediately contacted local media to broadcast that the school would be closed.

Staff spent all day Monday fixing the damage, Hawkins said late Monday afternoon. He said school officials are still tabulating the costs of the damage and the make-up school day. He indicated the perpetrators could be liable for the expenses.

Ceiling tiles were removed and damaged on the second floor, Williams said, and desks were pulled out into the hall on the third floor. Furniture was also stuffed into bathroom stalls.

“There’s a lot of broken furniture and stuff like that,” Hawkins said. There were also “drawings on the walls, some foul language, some sexual language, some substance abuse language.”

He said peanut butter smeared on doorknobs is particularly problematic, because some students have severe peanut allergies. Students and staff have been taught since “day one” how to safely handle peanuts in order not to put their classmates in danger, he said; now, school staff would have to virtually sterilize the doorknobs.

“Of all the things they would use – peanut butter,” Hawkins said.

An annual senior prank is traditional in Cape Elizabeth, officials said, but never the full-scale vandalism seen Monday. Last year, Hawkins said, an inflatable gym was placed in the library, and a large tire was placed somewhere unusual.

“I was shocked, to be honest with you,” he said. “Senior prank is something that happens in high schools throughout the country but – I was shocked. They didn’t stop to realize that they were doing damage to the building, damage to the day and damage to the educational program for kids.”

Hawkins said the students would be immediately suspended for 10 days.

“Very probably I will be looking at expulsion for them,” he said. “(Graduation) is an issue that we will have to deal with … We will try to find a way for them to graduate.”

Hawkins said the vandalism apparently began sometime after the building was locked at 8:30 p.m. and took about two hours to complete.

School board member Jack Kennealy said the teens’ parents bear some of the responsibility for not knowing what their children were up to in the middle of the night on a school night.

“I’m very concerned that students were apparently out as late as they were without their parents being concerned where they were,” he said. “I think it’s a parental problem as well as a student problem. I think parents ought to know where their kids are.”

Police from South Portland and Scarborough assisted in the investigation, but the towns are not involved in the vandalism, Williams said.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=178711&ac=PHnws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mosdata1
03-31-2008, 08:25 AM
What idiots! The parents should make sure their moronic children work so they can repay every dime it cost to repair the school - court order, or not!

ahippiechic
03-31-2008, 08:26 AM
What idiots! The parents should make sure their moronic children work so they can repay every dime it cost to repair the school - court order, or not!

Yep. I don't even consider that a prank, just useless destruction.

aprilblues
03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
I agree! The parents/students together should have to pay for the damages!

Jackie_Blu
03-31-2008, 08:32 AM

exactly

Vee030473
03-31-2008, 08:34 AM
I honestly believe nothing will happen to these for what they have done. They all come from privilege,and in the Cape,if you have money,you arent held accountable like a middle class person would be. Thursday night,when I was at the local gas station,3 of the 10 were hanging out like nothing ever happened. Still driving around in their nice vehicles and chatting up with their buddies and girlfriends. I guess their parents dont care what they do as long as they dont ruin their million dollar homes. Since school was cancelled last Monday,they had to go to school Saturday.Cape Elizabeth is a great place to live but times like these remind me I am an outsider(I wasnt born/raised here)and I am so glad I am an outsider.

Willow
03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow they really took things too far.

atprm
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
gosh!

the worst we ever did as seniors was put playgirl centerfolds on the ceiling of our English teacher's room...

she had a terrible habit of speaking and always looking up at the ceiling!

The other things we did to her throughout the years:

superglued her room door shut
replaced her Certs (candies) with Algae tablets
put a garter snake in a bag and left it in the room
wrote at the very top of her blackboard "ha ha you can't reach this"

Vee030473
03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
I dont see what they did,any of it,as a prank of any kind. I see it as vandalism.

PrincessArky
03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep. I don't even consider that a prank, just useless destruction.

exactly

galeane29
03-31-2008, 09:55 AM
That is just horrible....and senseless.

hblueeyes
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Pure destruction, not a prank.

5 years ago my son and his friend did a premo prank. They hacked into the schools intercom system and played a bit from a Jay and silent Bob movie. Goofy but very funny. It is still talked about but will fade into the past in a few more years.

They were fully prepared to accept the consequences, like not participating in graduation ceremonies.

Me

iluvmybaby
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
That is criminal, not a prank

ladybugva
03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
ITA there is a line b/n a prank and vandolism and they crossed it. would have been one thing to move the furnature but writing on walls and such. Plus the PB knowing that there are allergies.

flute
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree, vandalism - not a prank!
The senior year prank my JR year was to steal the Librarian's Elvis statue - now she was an evil person - and it was kept safe at a supportive teacher's house.

This year they are "flamingo" ing student's houses - lol they're placing pink flamingos on the lawns of some people - hahahahahaha

Looks funny to drive by & see all these pink flamingos moving from one house to the other - I've found 'em 2x...:)

Jackie_Blu
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
ITA there is a line b/n a prank and vandolism and they crossed it. would have been one thing to move the furnature but writing on walls and such. Plus the PB knowing that there are allergies.

ITA Sheer destruction

I agree, vandalism - not a prank!
The senior year prank my JR year was to steal the Librarian's Elvis statue - now she was an evil person - and it was kept safe at a supportive teacher's house.

This year they are "flamingo" ing student's houses - lol they're placing pink flamingos on the lawns of some people - hahahahahaha

Looks funny to drive by & see all these pink flamingos moving from one house to the other - I've found 'em 2x...:)

Those are cute ideas...and whats most important is they dont hurt anyone or destroy property. I love the flamingo one LOL

JKATHERINE
03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
I honestly believe nothing will happen to these for what they have done. They all come from privilege,and in the Cape,if you have money,you arent held accountable like a middle class person would be. Thursday night,when I was at the local gas station,3 of the 10 were hanging out like nothing ever happened. Still driving around in their nice vehicles and chatting up with their buddies and girlfriends. I guess their parents dont care what they do as long as they dont ruin their million dollar homes. Since school was cancelled last Monday,they had to go to school Saturday.Cape Elizabeth is a great place to live but times like these remind me I am an outsider(I wasnt born/raised here)and I am so glad I am an outsider.

I heard it on the news, and I agree. Those snooty, rich families don't care because it wasn't their property. I was born/raised here in Maine, but not in the Cape and everyone knows how the kids from the Cape are... :rolleyes:

Vee030473
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Anytime I am asked where I live,I always say...I live in the poor section of Cape because to the loaded Capers we are poor and the area I live in is considered poor by them...not to me... the house we rent is a $400,000+ home LOL... It is up to the school to press charges and I figure they are not going to press charges.

twinkiesmom
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Charges should be filed! Of course, the Capers prolly have friends in high places that would keep their kiddies out of trouble.

Too bad.