PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man testifies in murder trial

Jolie Rouge
03-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Homeless man testifies in murder trial
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent
2 hours, 6 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - A homeless man testified Friday he was befriended by an elderly woman who is now charged with killing two other homeless men for profit and was pressured to sign documents with his personal information — papers he now believes involved insurance policies.

Jimmy Covington, 48, took the stand in the Superior Court trial of Olga Rutterschmidt, 75, and Helen Golay, 77, who each are charged with two counts of murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit murder for financial gain for allegedly taking out insurance policies on victims and killing them in faked hit-and-run accidents.

Covington said he was approached by Rutterschmidt on a Hollywood street in 2005.

"She asked if I was homeless," he said. "... I said yes. She said, 'I work with homeless people and I can get you some benefits. I can get you a place to stay and some money in 30 days.'"

Covington said Rutterschmidt promised him $2,000, took him inside an office building and said he could sleep there. He said she then made frequent visits to give him paperwork to fill out and sign. He said he gave her information including his Social Security number, driver's license number and medical history.

"She seemed real concerned and kind of anxious and sincere at first," he said. But when he balked at giving her more data including his mother's maiden name, he said, she became abusive.

Sometimes, he said, she came to the room where he was sleeping and entered with her own key at 3 a.m. Once, he said, he saw her walking with another woman outside the building but he was unable to identify the co-defendant, Golay, as that woman.

"Did she ever give you any help?" asked Deputy District Attorney Truc Do.

"Just sleeping in that room. She gave me $15 and took me to Burger King and bought me a hamburger," he said.

Asked why he decided to leave, he said, "She was asking for too much personal information and yelling at me. She was being verbally abusive. I was getting uncomfortable with it."

Asked if he ever gave her permission to apply for an insurance policy, he said, "No."

"And are you aware of an application with Triple A for a policy for $800,000 naming you as the insured?" Do asked.

"No," said Covington. "I was never aware of that."

On cross-examination, Rutterschmidt's lawyer asked if Rutterschmidt said she had a partner.

Covington said she did.

"And she said her partner was the boss?" asked Michael Sklar, a public defender.

"Yes," said the witness.

Rutterschmidt and Golay are accused in the deaths of Paul Vados, 73, in 1999 and Kenneth McDavid, 51, in 2005. Both women have pleaded not guilty. The prosecution is not seeking the death penalty.

Outside court, Covington told reporters he now believes he could have been the third victim in the case if he had not walked away.

"I feel blessed by Jesus and God who looked out for me," he said.

"And I pray for them too," he said of the defendants, "that they'll have their souls saved."

Covington, whose clean-cut appearance belied his predicament, said he used disability benefits to buy a membership at a Hollywood health club where he worked out, showered and maintained his appearance. It was outside that club, he said, that Rutterschmidt approached him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080329/ap_on_re_us/homeless_hit_and_run;_ylt=Ao__Q0fEmQ0B1A_GSM08zlhv zwcF

ilovecats
03-28-2008, 09:03 PM
:( WOW!I don't know why I am surprised.I just can't imagine an elderly woman doing this,but she quite clearly did.I guess we all need to get the"sweet lil old lady"idea out of our heads and realize that evil does not go away.How sad to prey on the very people who need help the most.

dv8grl
03-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Thats straight outta the movies! Who would conjure up such a skeem, CRAZY OLD CHICKS! :rolling

Jolie Rouge
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Calif. jury convicts elderly women in murder conspiracy
By LINDA DEUTSCH, Associated Press Writer
40 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Two elderly women accused of killing two homeless men to collect millions of dollars in insurance payouts were convicted Wednesday of conspiracy to murder, and one of them was convicted of the murders themselves.

In an unusual step, the jury was to hear more arguments Thursday before deciding remaining counts in the case against Helen Golay, 77, and Olga Rutterschmidt, 75. The judge decided to take five initial verdicts.

Golay was convicted of the first-degree murders of Kenneth McDavid, 50, in 2005 and Paul Vados, 73, in 1999. She was also convicted of the conspiracy counts in both killings.

Rutterschmidt was convicted of conspiracy to murder McDavid for financial gain.

The judge ordered the prosecution and Rutterschmidt's defense to present new arguments on two counts that Rutterschmidt murdered McDavid and Vados, and a conspiracy count involving Vados.

Prosecutors said the women collected $2.8 million from insurance policies on the lives of two homeless men who were killed in staged hit-and-runs.

Golay's convictions carry potential sentences of life in prison without possibility of parole. The single conspiracy count returned against Rutterschmidt carries a sentence of 25 years to life.

Jurors' struggles on some counts became evident Tuesday when they handed in some sealed verdicts and continued deliberating. On Wednesday, the panel asked for readings of testimony by three witnesses and a laptop to review DVDs entered in evidence.

The women showed no reaction to the verdicts. Golay sat with her head close to her attorney and read along as the court clerk went through the charges. "Basically the ladies did not do very well today," Roger Jon Diamond, the attorney for Golay, said afterward. Rutterschmidt's attorney did not comment.

Prosecutors said the women recruited their prey from among the homeless of Hollywood, invested thousands of dollars in insurance policies on them and in putting them up in apartments, then drugged them and ran them over in secluded alleys.

Both men initially appeared to have been victims of hit-and-run accidents, and police linked the cases only in late 2005 when a detective investigating one overheard a colleague describe a similar case.

In his closing argument, Deputy District Attorney Bobby Grace called the women "the worst of the worst."

"They didn't need this money. They weren't poor and destitute. They went out of their way to target men who had nothing," the prosecutor said.

The jury saw a secretly recorded videotape of the two in a lockup after their arrests. Rutterschmidt berated Golay, saying her actions in taking out 23 insurance policies raised a red flag when the men died. "It's your fault," Rutterschmidt told Golay. "You can't have that many insurances. ... You were greedy. That's the problem."

On insurance policies, the women represented themselves as a cousin and a fiancee of McDavid. Golay said she thought McDavid loved them.

On the tape, Rutterschmidt snapped: "I was the cousin. You were the fiancee. Baloney."

Defense lawyers admitted the women were involved in insurance fraud but denied a murder conspiracy. "We'll concede it's pretty sleazy what's going on here with the insurance," Golay's attorney, Roger Jon Diamond, said. He said the idea was to insure old, sick homeless people who would die more quickly.

But prosecutors pointed out that most of the policies were for accidental death, not death due to natural causes. By the end of the five-week trial, the women had turned on each other.

Diamond said Wednesday that he was confident there were significant issues to raise on appeal of Golay's conviction. One was whether it was proper for the judge to admit the secretly taped conversation, Diamond said.

And he said he felt the overall defense was harmed by the decision of Rutterschmidt's lawyer to attack Golay and suggest she was a killer.

Diamond said in his closing argument that when Rutterschmidt began recruiting younger homeless men, she may have had her own scheme to have them killed.

Rutterschmidt's lawyer claimed his client was "simple minded" and obsessed with Golay, a relatively wealthy woman she met in 1999. Deputy Public Defender Michael Sklar accused Golay of manipulating Rutterschmidt to buy a car used as a weapon but said it was Golay alone who committed murder.

Golay funded the scheme and wrote the checks, Sklar told the jury.

Golay's lawyer, failing in a last-minute attempt to derail the case against the women, claimed Golay's own daughter, Kecia, 44, drove the car that ran over McDavid. Kecia Golay was not charged and did not testify in the trial.

There were no witnesses to the killings. But prosecution evidence included identification of Rutterschmidt by the man who sold her a car that was found to have McDavid's DNA on its undercarriage. There was also evidence that the car required a tow from an intersection near where McDavid's body was found an hour later, and that Golay's auto club membership number was used to summon the tow truck.

A key prosecution witness was a homeless man who said he was targeted to be another victim but left when he was pressured by Rutterschmidt for personal information and to sign documents.

Jimmy Covington, 48, said he was approached by Rutterschmidt on a Hollywood street in 2005 and was promised benefits, a place to stay and money.

Jolie Rouge
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
More guilty verdicts in LA murder-for-profit scheme
By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer
19 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - An elderly woman was convicted Monday of two more counts in a scheme to kill homeless men to cash in on insurance payouts.

Olga Rutterschmidt, 75, was convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder for financial gain in the death of Paul Vados, 73. Last week, she was convicted of murder and conspiracy in the death of Kenneth McDavid, 50.

The jury returned to deliberations Monday after bringing in an alternate to replace a juror who had to leave on a trip. Co-defendant Helen Golay, 77, was convicted of both murders and conspiracy last week.

Deputy District Attorney Bobby Grace said afterward that the prosecution was able to show that the women were fueled by greed.

"It's clear that money was a driving force behind these women," Grace said. "We were able to use that motive as a big foundation for our case." Added Deputy District Attorney Truc Do: "They didn't need it, but they wanted it."

Jurors had said that they were deadlocked on the last two counts against Rutterschmidt, but were ordered to start deliberations over on those counts because of the new member. The verdicts came after about an hour of talks.

Superior Court Judge David Wesley said the jurors indicated they did not wish to speak to reporters.

Prosecutors said the two women collected $2.8 million before their scheme was uncovered during the investigation into the death of McDavid in 2005. It seemed at first to be a hit-and-run accident, but then an investigator overheard another detective discussing the 1999 death of Vados in very similar circumstances.

The women were accused of recruiting the men from among Hollywood's homeless and giving them lodging and food while taking out numerous insurance policies on them. Prosecutors said they then drugged them and ran them over in secluded alleys.

Golay will be sentenced June 24, while Rutterschmidt's sentencing was set for July 15. The convictions carry life prison terms without possibility of parole for both women. Prosecutors chose to not seek the death penalty.

Rutterschmidt's defense attorney, Michael Sklar, said he will begin working on a motion for a new trial, but had no other comment.

Both he and Golay's attorney, Roger Jon Diamond, had conceded the women were involved in insurance fraud but denied they had formed a murder conspiracy.

The jury saw a secretly recorded videotape of the two in a lockup after their arrests. Rutterschmidt berated Golay, saying her actions in taking out 23 insurance policies raised a red flag when the men died.

"It's your fault," Rutterschmidt told Golay. "You can't have that many insurances. ... You were greedy. That's the problem."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080421/ap_on_re_us/homeless_hit_and_run;_ylt=AkaKHA7o51BIowjlU6oNdmtH 2ocA

"It's your fault," Rutterschmidt told Golay. "You can't have that many insurances. ... You were greedy. That's the problem."

:potkettle:

ilovecats
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Geeeze!Even now,No remorse????