PDA

View Full Version : Fired

Jolie Rouge
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
For the first time in my entire life... I was fired from a job.

I worked 15 hours a week at a local church Parent's Day Out. I have worked in some capacity - volenteer, sub, and now teaching - for ten years. This past fall they hired the new Preacher's Wife. She doesn't play well with others is an understatement. She claims to have run a 250 capcity PDO in the past, yet she didn't know about "Safe Haven" rules, basic first aid or CPR. There were a number of things that showed on a daily basis that she was not suited to the job. She was also petty, childish, vindictive and had a tendency to undermine the Program Director and to lie to and about the other members of the staff.

The Director has had several meetings during the year, with Ann herself and with all of us together. Ann says what she thinks we want to hear, but nothing changes.

Last week, Becca and I wrote a letter the the PDO Committee as the next step in resolving the issues. We did so after consulting a few discrete members of the Staff Council. We wanted to open a diolog and try to get the issues addressed, failing that we were not going to return next fall.

We were called into a meeting this morning and Becca and I were both fired and the Director was given her notice. Ann will be the Director next year. We will not be allowed to finish the last eight weeks of school - in fact they told the Director to say nothing to the parents. Like the kids will not notice we are gone ?? The Committee told her the parents are not owed ANY EXPLANATIONS.

I am soo depressed.

and ANGRY

Jackie_Blu
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
OMG I dont blame you for feeling the way you do. Sounds to me like there's some strange stuff going on....to plan to put someone as unqualified as she sounds in the Director's position. What explanation were you and Becca given for your firing? This really stinks and I would be tempted to raise all kinds of h*ll if it were me. Starting with contacting the parents and letting them know what's going on. Sorry this happened & I hope things look up:hug

April78945
03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
That's horrible. The one thing I don't miss about working is the damn office politics.
Look on the bright side though, you can collect unemployment all summer :)

magenta
03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I am sorry. I would be mad too.
I feel bad for the children. I am sure they will all wonder where you & Becca went. :(

Wanted to add, I agree w/ Jackie, I would contact parents. If I was a parent I would want to know the new "director" didn't know her stuff.

pepperpot
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Collect unemployment and don't be surprised to get a phone call asking you to come back in Sept/Oct when they realize what a schmuck she is ;)

whatever
03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I have never been fired from a job, so i feel bad for you!!! I would be so Po'ed. I hate when new people come in and think they know better!! I always quit first when i get fed up. my last job me and my boss were bickering alot. I knew she would not fire me. But It got to where i hated to go to that job, and i used to love it. Plus with my neck i was having headaches everyday. Maybe someone will come to their senses before your time is up!!

nightrider127
03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you Jolie.

I think you need to let those parents know what is going on, maybe even an obligation to let them know. Those childrens safety is at risk. To leave them with someone in charge who doesn't even know basic first aid is a danger. So many things can happen to children. They can get choked, with it being summer, one of them could be struck by lightning and need someone who is trained in CPR.

Tell the parents Jolie. As far as I am concerned, you are obligated to do so and they have a right to know.

mosdata1
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM

I worked 15 hours a week at a local church Parent's Day Out. I have worked in some capacity - volenteer, sub, and now teaching - for ten years. This past fall they hired the new Preacher's Wife. She doesn't play well with others is an understatement. She claims to have run a 250 capcity PDO in the past, yet she didn't know about "Safe Haven" rules, basic first aid or CPR. There were a number of things that showed on a daily basis that she was not suited to the job. She was also petty, childish, vindictive and had a tendency to undermine the Program Director and to lie to and about the other members of the staff.

The Director has had several meetings during the year, with Ann herself and with all of us together. Ann says what she thinks we want to hear, but nothing changes.

Last week, Becca and I wrote a letter the the PDO Committee as the next step in resolving the issues. We did so after consulting a few discrete members of the Staff Council. We wanted to open a diolog and try to get the issues addressed, failing that we were not going to return next fall.

We were called into a meeting this morning and Becca and I were both fired and the Director was given her notice. Ann will be the Director next year. We will not be allowed to finish the last eight weeks of school - in fact they told the Director to say nothing to the parents. Like the kids will not notice we are gone ?? The Committee told her the parents are not owed ANY EXPLANATIONS.

I am soo depressed.

and ANGRY

I so sorry to hear this. As far as the new pastor's wife not knowing many critical items - I know it's a church, but aren't there state regulations for being certified as a Safe Haven Site? I don't know if there are state reg's for being Certified in CPR or First Aid, but those would both be extremely important to me, as a parent. The parents need to be informed when chosing a school for their children and to not do so, is extremely an underhanded way to conduct business - especially for the church! Shame on them.
If you still want to work I'm sure there are plenty of schools that would love to get someone with your qualifications.
In the mean time - make sure you get unemployment and enjoy your little 'break'.

LitWtch
03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry this has happened - it seems uncalled for. Personally, when I worked in that sort of capacity, I made very close contacts with key parents. I made certain they knew I had left the program and why - I also apologized for letting their children down, because I was there for them. Certainly you can discreetly get hold of at least a couple and let them know what happened - the office cannot dictate who you can remain on a personal basis with.

dv8grl
03-28-2008, 08:14 PM

I think you need to let those parents know what is going on, maybe even an obligation to let them know. Those childrens safety is at risk. To leave them with someone in charge who doesn't even know basic first aid is a danger. So many things can happen to children. They can get choked, with it being summer, one of them could be struck by lightning and need someone who is trained in CPR.

Tell the parents Jolie. As far as I am concerned, you are obligated to do so and they have a right to know.

ITA! Sorry!

Aloha from paradise
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM

ITA!!!

lexasmommy
03-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm so sorry Julie. Are you a member of that church?

twinkiesmom
03-28-2008, 11:18 PM
oh the parents will find out. All it would take is the right person asking you why you're not teaching anymore, and oh man, everyone will know. Dunno if I'd actually be calling parents . . . let nature take it's course. And ppl talk, u know that. What comes around . . . goes around.

Maybe this is God's way of letting your congregation know what the preacher's wife is really all about.

sorry it happened this way . . . but remember . . . . . karma . . . .

they'll be kissin ya butt in the fall.

LitWtch
03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Certainly YOU, Jolie< know that CRP and in some cases, AED training is mandated for ALL childcare providers. PErsonally I would contact the health department and inform them that certain key workers there are not trained properly.

ma4angels
03-29-2008, 07:00 PM

I am soo depressed.

and ANGRY

I am just curious is there anyone that you three ladies can complain to that is higher up then the PDO committee. You can pray and hope for the best . I am truly sorry that this is happeing to you.

ElleGee
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you.. and with the job market the way it is now.. Sending positive vibes your way,

PrincessArky
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
oh girl I am so sorry to hear this :(

kelblend
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear that. I think if that woman is so transparent to you that she will eventually be so to everyone else. I hope she is taken from the position or better yet improves her attitude and her abilities to do the job. Either way, I hope you get back to the job.