PDA

View Full Version : My new MIL

lexasmommy
03-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I got married last Saturday to the greatest man imaginable. After my divorce in 2002, I swore off men and never thought I'd ever get married again. My first husband died of stomach and colon cancer and my second husband was the biggest jackass imaginable. I've been through a lot and am so happy to find someone who is loving, caring, great with my kids, and non abusive. I love my husband and I know that he loves me too. I deserve to be happy for once.

He proposed to me in October when we were at a wedding in Las Vegas. His mother not only went on the trip with us but also slept in the room with us. OKAY, not the happiest camper but I didn't complain. When he told her that we were getting married she filpped out and started crying. She would whine and cry to anyone who would complain. Apparently before I came along he was paying all of her bills for her even though she is an LPN. She became "ill" and said she could not work as much. :headshake

She went out into the community telling everyone who would listen that he won't do anything for her anymore. Even though he was still paying some of her bills for her. She wanted him to give her a weekly allowance. Seriously. She wants him to pay her bills while she uses the money she makes at work to enable her 27 year old non working son to continue his cocaine habit and pay her other son's child support to keep him out of jail. He does not ever see his children period. Now I might be selfish but he has a family now and we can put our money to much better use. There are things we want to have too. Two weeks before the wedding she started having bad chest pains DAILY and wanted someone with her all the time. :mssmack

Anyhoo, the wedding. We rented 2 cabins for everyone. The wedding party stayed at the cabin with us and the other was for the mils and other friends and family. She complained and acted the fool because she was unable to find her cabin. The directions were very easy. She started crying hysterically because she said she was lost. There were so many places she could have stopped to get directions. We were not in Gatlinburg yet because we didn't leave home until 7 pm. She left at 8 Friday morning. Made it through that nightmare.:sigh

Saturday came and everyone was getting ready for the wedding. We got married in our cabin. Everything was beautiful! She got there 30 minutes before the wedding was supposed to start with faded and dingy clothes on. Everyone else was dressed appropriately but her and she acted like she was really disgusted to be there. She would not take pictures, did not congratulate us after the ceremony and left while we were upstairs taking pictures. She even brought fish to fry for the reception and she knows that Robert is allergic to fish. If he ingests it he STOPS BREATHING. Who wanted to smell fish frying while the wedding was going on anyway? I think she was hoping for him to have a reaction to the fish and end the wedding. She went to the other cabin and we saw her no more for the rest of the weekend. We invited her over for breakfast and she refused. She did almost everything within her power to sabotage our happiness and I want nothing more to do with her EVER. Its sad that she spent such a joyous occasion in misery because she deprived herself of having a good time. She really didn't have to come and the way she acted, I wish she had not. Maybe I am just being petty but she should realy be ashamed of herself. Thanks for listening to me vent. I'm just so bothered that she would put forth such an effort to ruin out happiness.

On a brighter note our wedding was perfect, everything was beautiful, the moon was full, and it snowed Monday while we were leaving. My baby girl had never seen snow before.http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1388/5700868/12578957/310621950.jpg

myspirit
03-28-2008, 03:35 AM
She sounds awful. So glad you found happiness, congratulations!!!

Freebeemom
03-28-2008, 04:56 AM
First off: Congrats to you. I am sorry you have been th
rough so much w/your 1st husband. Unfortunatley, it sounds like you have a long road ahead of you with this one. Unless he stands up to her and tells her that he is done supporting her, this woman will make your life hell.

Sounds like she has some sick obsession
with her son, or that she just likes the ride of being taken care of.

Good luck to you, hope he can stand up to her and won't leave you to be the one to do this...

dangerousfem
03-28-2008, 05:07 AM
I agree with freebeemom...You two need to make a united front now.. together.. or else life around here will be bad.. and could effect your marriage... have a open honest talk with hubby now... at the start.. so there won't be problems later.

galeane29
03-28-2008, 05:11 AM
You are married to that wonderful man not his mother.

My own mother is the one that always makes a scene.
And I might get remarks about this , but I no longer
talk to her and several people in my family because it
was always drama being around them. I wanted a
happy life not one where my own flesh and blood
are stabbing you in the back.

Love your husband and children, THEY are your
destiny and legacy.

Congrats by the way:)

4diego
03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Congratulations on your wedding! Sounds beautiful, even with his mom. She'll either get over herself or she won't, either way - be happy. The happier she sees you the worse she'll probably act out, but she can't take your happiness away.

tljohn123
03-28-2008, 06:04 AM
First, congratulations to the both of you! You deserve every happiness. That cabin looks awesome!
Your new MIL, well.......all it is to her is a power play. She wants what she cannot have again--her 'wittle' boy. She's mad cuz there's another woman in his life that is taking his time and attention. Good luck sweetie....just be united, she WILL get the idea eventually.

kabcrisp
03-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Your MIL sounds like a classic narcisst.

She will not change. You will either have to learn to live with it or eliminate her from your life which is hard considering she gave birth to the man you love and are married to.

Good luck and congrats on your marriage. . . !

Willow
03-28-2008, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't want to ever deal with that woman again either. Sorry she was being that way. I have no tolerance for that crap.

dv8grl
03-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Congrats on your wedding! I feel for ya as far as your MIL situation. I have no advice, except to just love your husband & keep a low profile. :)

Jackie_Blu
03-28-2008, 06:20 AM
First off: Congrats to you. I am sorry you have been th
rough so much w/your 1st husband. Unfortunatley, it sounds like you have a long road ahead of you with this one. Unless he stands up to her and tells her that he is done supporting her, this woman will make your life hell.

Sounds like she has some sick obsession
with her son, or that she just likes the ride of being taken care of.

Good luck to you, hope he can stand up to her and won't leave you to be the one to do this...

ITA HE has to be the one to stand up to her...if he leaves you and you alone to do it, then you will be made out to be a bi*ch. Good luck, hon, I wish you all the best:hug

Njean31
03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
oh boy, it sounds as though you have a tough road ahead of you if he don't nip it in the bud. that cabin and setting is beautiful:)

sheila_361
03-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Congrats on your wedding!

BlueBerriTerri
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Congratulations on your wedding! I hope everything smoothes out for you, and girl, that cabin is gorgeous!

Lild
03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
It sounds beautiful....congrats, but the amazing thing is, is how you didn't dwell on her attitude and let it affact your day, sure I know you were upset, but you really held it together... I would've gotten mad and probably been the smaller person ... sooooo, CONGRATS on EVERYTHING

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Oh my Lord!

First CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding!

Second, what does your new husband say of his mom's behavior?

peaceluver
03-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Congrats on your wedding, that is a beautiful place.
Good luck with the MIL.

Aloha from paradise
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Congrats on the wedding! That cabin is just beautiful! I'm sorry your mother-in-law is such a pain in the arse. You do deserve to be happy and if you have to keep her out of your life so be it. It's her loss. I hope your husband will stand up to her with you and someday she may change her ways. I was lucky and had a wonderful mother-in-law. She was like a mom to me. I wish everyone could have a great relationship with their Mother-in-law it makes life so much better. Mine died some years back and I really miss her. So stand your ground and just take it one day at a time.

lexasmommy
03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. My hubby had a talk with his mother because he was disgusted by her behavior also. He said that he just couldn't hold back anymore and she appologized to him. She didn't say sorry to me but thats ok. He is her son and she really should be happy that the child she bore is finally buthappy and complete. To me she is really irritaing but I know that it has to be more hurtful than irritating to him. He tries not to complain a lot. I can only pray that her appology is ginuine and she will stop her childish and rediculous behavior. I really appeciate you all for lending a listening ear and encouragement. I'll post wedding pics as soon as they get back. We are having our reception tomorrow for everyone who was unable to make it to Gatlinburg. I honestly hope she does not come, lol.

jcw
03-28-2008, 09:53 PM
congrats sorry you inherited a mother in law like that

ma4angels
03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Honey I think we need to start a wicked MIL Thread. I could tell you some stuff mine has done to her children and her grandchildren that would just blow you away. It sounds like yours and mine are sisters. Self centered and annoying. I am glad you had a nice wedding even though she tried to ruin it. If I were you I would just live your life as if she doesn't exist. She will probably try to be silly every chance she gets if she is like mine but don't let her ruin anything for you.

tracey74
03-29-2008, 09:44 PM
congrats on your wedding, so sorry you got a MIL from hell but I agree with the OP she is obsessed with her son and sounded like she rather have him dead from eating fish than have him marry someone what a freak. your hubby needs to stop supporting her in anyway because its not up to him to take care of her and hes full grown so she shouldnt have to take him to raise. as for her supporting her other sons if your hubby stops helping her out then she will have no choice but to stop helping her other sons out.he needs to let her know that he has a family now to support and she has her own income so she needs to support herself and grow up and act like an adult instead of a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. good luck on dealing with her sounds like you will need all the luck you can get. im glad I had a great MIL-may she rest in peace hubby wasnt so lucky lol

Char
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Yup. his mama, his problem. I've watched enough Dr. Phil to know that ! LOL!

Sounds like your wedding was awesome ! Cabins, woods, snow... excellent !

Sounds like she tried everything possible to manipulate her son, you, and the wedding... but, she failed.

You would think, in a time where things are tough all over, that she would be thrilled that her son had found someone he loved... she is the one who will miss out, by not having a relationship with the new 'couple'.

Best wishes !

Bahet
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
How did the reception go?

buglebe
03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh my goodness. It sounds like you handled it all very well. I hope she accepts what your husband had to say to her and will let him alone. How on earth did he start supporting her and the gang? Undoubtedly she guilted him in to doing it.

PrincessArky
03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
congrats on the marriage :)