PDA

View Full Version : I was offered the main cook job at work......Not sure I want it.

Pepsi4me
03-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I was offered the main cook job at the school cafeteria I work at. It's a lot of work & responsibility cooking for about 450 kids every day.
I have no experience being a cook only experience in salad bar prep,fast food work, supermarket prepared foods/deli.
They offered it to me because the supervisor said I'm a hard worker, I can already handle doing two salad bars plus working the deli & help everyone else, I'm always in a good mood & get along with everyone. They are confident that I could handle it but I'm not so sure I would be able to.:dontknow:

I just dont know. They told me to think about it.

BigLyd1
03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I guess there are different things to consider. Would it be more pay and how much more? Did you want the challenge? Would it possibly be too much to handle? It sounds like you're comfortable where you're at. Maybe that's the most important thing?

nightrider127
03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Maybe they would let you take the position on a trial basis. That way, you would know if you can handle it or not.

Pepsi4me
03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I would love to do it & I know they would help me til I know what I'm doing.
Not sure if it's more $ but with all that more work you would tink it would be more $.

I'm very comfortable where I am & it would mean I would no longer be serving on the elementary side, which I really love doing.

catdance
03-25-2008, 02:29 PM
YES you do, you need this, it would be great, in this given economy with these types of jobs, you will have security, and sounds like enough HELP, take it..take it..take it!
I am a LUNCH LADY as well of sorts, you will love this and even if the $ isn't the best, you are "all in" as they say in Poker...DO IT..
I am a big supporter of this for you, the times are changing, sweetie, you won't reget this, take a chance..those kids will gow up and you will see them as they grow ( I think)..DO IT!
Don't forget the mere fact that they ASKED YOU..before it got to another person..
Celebrate that!
I have my fingers crossed on you!
From one food service gal to another..take it!

Pepsi4me
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
YES you do, you need this, it would be great, in this given economy with these types of jobs, you will have security, and sounds like enough HELP, take it..take it..take it!
I am a LUNCH LADY as well of sorts, you will love this and even if the $ isn't the best, you are "all in" as they say in Poker...DO IT..
I am a big supporter of this for you, the times are changing, sweetie, you won't reget this, take a chance..those kids will gow up and you will see them as they grow ( I think)..DO IT!
Don't forget the mere fact that they ASKED YOU..before it got to another person..
Celebrate that!
I have my fingers crossed on you!
From one food service gal to another..take it!

Thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it.

I just dont want to take the position,have them find someone to do my job I have now & them what if I dont like it or cant do it? I'm not sure I will be able to get my old position back.

I'm going to sleep on it & see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Lild
03-25-2008, 02:51 PM
You won't know unless you try it... it might be better or it might turn out like crap, but you, imo, should take it. Life is all about change:) Good luck

Shann
03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Can you ask them about doing a trial run to see if you feel the position would be right for you and if you don't feel it's the right thing for you go back to your old position? Never hurts to ask, you have a lot to consider. GL

PrincessArky
03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I would love to do it & I know they would help me til I know what I'm doing.
Not sure if it's more $ but with all that more work you would tink it would be more $.

I'm very comfortable where I am & it would mean I would no longer be serving on the elementary side, which I really love doing.

hopefully it will be lots more money :)

ttistin
03-26-2008, 04:52 AM
In our school system the only person that gets more money is the manager, you do get a raise for every step you go (year) but it doesn't matter what "job" you do. I know this year I am the baker, it is hard work making sure we have enough baked things for 900+ kids.

Anyway I think it would be great opportunity for you. If you do take it I hope it works out for you.

((hugs)) Good Luck!!!

vicky122
03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
In our school system the only person that gets more money is the manager, you do get a raise for every step you go (year) but it doesn't matter what "job" you do. I know this year I am the baker, it is hard work making sure we have enough baked things for 900+ kids.

Anyway I think it would be great opportunity for you. If you do take it I hope it works out for you.

((hugs)) Good Luck!!!

In our school if you go into a head cook position you get a raise. But they have to post the position. Nobody gets a raise during the school year. We all get the same raise across the board. Depeding on your job tittle and if you are on steps. Servers and dishwasher is one pay cashies is one ass. cooks is one the head cook is one and then the supervisor is differant.
Now if I was to do head cook for the day since I am off my steps then I get her pay for that day. But if I was on steps then I would get head cooks pay for the step I am on. If I work head cooks job a day before the holiday then my holiday pay would be head cooks pay. If I was to do the supervisors job I would get her pay. If a server was needed in the kitchen then they would get cooks pay. And it works the same if she is on steps dhe gets dook pay for the step she is on. If she is off steps then it would be by hers years in.
We feed any where from 1500 -2000 kids. It is easy once you get into it. Good luck.

ttistin
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
In our school if you go into a head cook position you get a raise. But they have to post the position. Nobody gets a raise during the school year. We all get the same raise across the board. Depeding on your job tittle and if you are on steps. Servers and dishwasher is one pay cashies is one ass. cooks is one the head cook is one and then the supervisor is differant.
Now if I was to do head cook for the day since I am off my steps then I get her pay for that day. But if I was on steps then I would get head cooks pay for the step I am on. If I work head cooks job a day before the holiday then my holiday pay would be head cooks pay. If I was to do the supervisors job I would get her pay. If a server was needed in the kitchen then they would get cooks pay. And it works the same if she is on steps dhe gets dook pay for the step she is on. If she is off steps then it would be by hers years in.
We feed any where from 1500 -2000 kids. It is easy once you get into it. Good luck.

Wow that different, but like I said I am in Alabama lol Now with us at the school I work at we all do each others jobs, for instance if one of the cashiers is out sick then I will do it for them. We have 3 cashiers, two cooks, 4 servers and a helper, plus the manager. there is the headcashier who is always on register and then 3 other ones that can run it. We also switch jobs every week. I am baker all the time but during lunch we all do other things. I am cook this week. Next week I will be on the line and dishroom. We go by steps, the more steps you have the more money you get, doesn't matter what job you do.

I guess every school system does things differently, it is neat to hear how others do it.