PDA

View Full Version : We are headed to Shriner's this Friday!!!!

loris520
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I just had to share with you guys. My 3 year old son has cerebral Palsy and we have been through a whole bunch of crap for the past year with insurance and not being able to find Doctors.(a whole other thread) well I have had the appointment made for 7 months now and we are going to Greenville on Friday. He has been having lots of pain in his leg. We were told that eventually he might need a tendon transfer. So I think that we will probably get the ball rolling on that. We also are starting him on restraint therapy next monday this is where they are going to put a cast over his "good" arm in hopes of him trying to start using his affected arm.

Just please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Grant brushing his teeth.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/9859291/18090680/309176825.jpg

taz69
03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Good luck! He looks like such a sweetie! My younger sister had CP, and it is such a trial on the kids and family. Shriners is such a wonderful organization-when you can get in. Best wishes!

BBELEAZAHR
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Contrats! Shriners is such a wonderful place. We will be thinking of you.

ahippiechic
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
So cute! Wish you the best of luck!

Willow
03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Good luck with everything. :)

sheila_361
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Good luck Loris! He's a cutie.. :hug

YankeeMary
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Isn't he just the looker? My youngest went through so many docs that eventually I loaded him up and off we went to Lexington, Ky. (we lived in Ohio at the time.) to the Shriners hospital. He was so pigeon toed. They found out at Shriners that his bones were twisted and the veins etc were twisted also causing vascular problems. They made "appliances" for his shoes and within 3 months he was at least 95% better and was released after I believe 6 months. They are amazing. They actually care and treat each child like they are the only child in the world. My son has always said he was going to grow up to be a "leg" doctor so he can help the Shriners. They made a huge impression on him at such a young age. I don't know what your sons name is but I will keep him in my prayers and you as well. I am positive if help is out there, then they will have it for him. My best wishes to you.

MistyWolf
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Prayers are with you, your son and your family.

BeanieLuvR
03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
He is such a cutie!! He will be in my prayers and you too. I have heard wonderful things about the Shriners. Good luck! Hugs.

ang in NC
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Praying to God to send angels around you!

loris520
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
thanks everybody. Im scared but I am also thrilled. I know that the Doctors are some of the best in the world at shriners. I will let everybody know how it goes when we get back. Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

ljtaylor
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Keeping him in my prayers.
The shriners put on an annual festival every year in Pikeville, Ky. called Hillbilly days. Most of the proceeds goes to the hospital. It's a 4 day thing and my family is faithful to it every year. Pretty cool.

ntgsmommy
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
we were told by "the best doctors in the world" that they couldn't help my son.....needless to say Shriner's and I don't sit very well...

loris520
03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
we were told by "the best doctors in the world" that they couldn't help my son.....needless to say Shriner's and I don't sit very well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/NtgsMommy/nathanandhischair5.jpg

Im sorry to hear that. I understand where you are coming from but for me and Grant this is one of are only options. The dr's that he has seen in the past have been completely worthless... Can I ask why they said they could not help your son?

Kyla Kym
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Your son is adorable! :)
Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

ntgsmommy
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
They said he had nothing surgically wrong with him that they could help him with, but yet, another Children's hospital let him have his hip surgery that he needed.
I do wish you luck, I hope you get the services you need, I know what it is like going from one doctor or hospital to another trying to get what your son needs for his health.

loris520
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
They said he had nothing surgically wrong with him that they could help him with, but yet, another Children's hospital let him have his hip surgery that he needed.
I do wish you luck, I hope you get the services you need, I know what it is like going from one doctor or hospital to another trying to get what your son needs for his health.

Im sorry to hear that. Thats basically what I have been going through now. No answers. I tell you what My son having CP has really tought me to be more of a stand up person thats for sure. I remember the days when you could say something related to his CP and I would cry like a baby but now,I have learned that I am his voice and sometimes I have to get what I want (need) for him by being more aggressive.

For example his EX nuerologist tried to give him a med that could have killed him. They never looked at his charts to see that he had a stroke and this med would have killed him. I went crazy on that dr....

ntgsmommy
03-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Im sorry to hear that. Thats basically what I have been going through now. No answers. I tell you what My son having CP has really tought me to be more of a stand up person thats for sure. I remember the days when you could say something related to his CP and I would cry like a baby but now,I have learned that I am his voice and sometimes I have to get what I want (need) for him by being more aggressive.

For example his EX nuerologist tried to give him a med that could have killed him. They never looked at his charts to see that he had a storke and this med would have killed him. I went crazy on that dr....

I don't blame ya! My son was put on phenabarbatol for such a long time I tried and tried to get the nuerologist to take him off and give him another med, but they wouldn't do it, I had to literallly threaten them.... that med is evil, it tuned my son into a zombie!

loris520
03-18-2008, 01:31 PM
wow! have you found a different med yet? We were thinking of botox but I just seen that some kids with CP are having severe complications with it if they also have respitory problems. Grant has had Pheunomonia(sp) 5 times this year alone so I have no clue what to do...

mosdata1
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
My prayers are with you & your family.

hotwheelstx
03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Shriner's is a great place. I went there for over 16 years. Main reason my parents moved here to Houston. It's really a special place. Your son will get the best of care along with love, commitment, time, effort.

Good luck to you all.

momof4boys
03-19-2008, 03:59 AM
all our prayers from western new york to my nephew...love ya sissy

CLARKS4
03-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Loris520, My hubby's father is a shriner and hubby is working to become one. They are wonderful people. They have done alot of good. I'm praying for all of you. You all be careful.

SLance68
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
First off your son is adorable. My brother is a Shriner as are 2 of my uncles. I belong to one of the ladies organizations. They do really good work and provide services for some that could otherwise not get treatments.