PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's child have Febrile Seizures?

JKATHERINE
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
We had a scary day/night yesterday...

At 4:30pm yesterday I left with A v e r y to go to Hell*Mart. Adam was home with Aiden and Ahren. Aiden had a fever of 100.5 in the morning and I gave him some Tylenol. He took a nap, got up and felt cooler so I didn't want to give him anymore just yet. When I left Adam and Aiden were napping on the couch. They woke up around 5pm and (long story short) within a few minutes Aiden was having a seizure. He does not have a history of these, we don't have a history of them in our family at all. Adam had to call 911 and have the ambulance come. When Aiden started seizing, he was eating a snack and drinking some juice while in Adam's arms. He threw back his head to get the last of the juice and hit it on the doorway as they traveled through. This is the exact time he started seizing, so Adam was unsure if the seizure was being caused by the head bump (which he said was not hard), choking on food/drink, or by the fever. While on the phone with 911 Adam did finger sweeps in Aiden's mouth and back blows to try to get anything out if there was something lodged in his throat. Aiden did expel some mucus and cheeseball, but nothing that could have been lodged in his throat. By the time the ambulance arrived he was breathing fine and no longer seizing. He was just crying a LOT. Our time at the hospital was long (over 4 hours) and he didn't get any Tylenol until we were ready to leave despite the fact that we'd asked for it multiple times since arriving. Luckily my mom and sister had come along as well and they were able to take A v e r y home to our house and relieve our neighbor, Michele, who was with Ahren. Aiden was diagnosed with Febrile Seizures (seizures brought on by high temperatures). He may have them when he gets sick up until he's 8 years old. It was scary, but it's over and Aiden seemed to do well today except for a runny nose. Regardless, I'm staying home tomorrow with him and keeping A v e r y out of school as well as she has a 101.0 fever. UGGGH. Does anyone here have a child with these? How many have they had and how do you cope? I am so fortunate I didn't have to go through what Adam had to go through. He is my hero for handling things the way he did and making sure our son was alright. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Jamie

iluvmybaby
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Your husband is a smart man, super cool headed, and he prob saved ur sons life with his quick thinking. Prayers for your son and for your family. I hope that he gets to feeling better soon!

robinA
03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow that is scary, my oldest son had a febrile siezure while at the hospital when he was 4 but he never had any after that (thank goodness) I did panic everytime he got sick,though. I hope Aiden is feeling better!

Out2Lunch
03-16-2008, 06:58 PM
My dh had them as a child. To this day, when he gets a fever it comes on QUICK and it gets really high. I have been so scared that our children would get them as well, but they have not. **Hugz** to you and Dh both. I know that had to be so scary.

kelblend
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
My dad told me when I was around 1 that I had one. My temp just shot up and he ran me to the hospital. IT was cold out and by the time I got there, my temp was down. I believe I only had the one episode though. Hope it doesn't happen again to your child and glad that he's okay.

peaceluver
03-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I am so glad that everything is alright. Kudos to your DH.

galeane29
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes, My oldest had these when he was about 1 year old. He had an ear
infection with fever and we could not bring his fever down. We took him to
the ER 3 times within a week due to the seizures. The ER Doc. prescribed
Advil and my son has never had the seizures since. It was very scary
when it happend. About a week after the last ER visit we got a visit from
DHR telling us that the ER Doc. had reported that my sons elbow was out of
socket and assumed abuse. The ER Doc failed to reveil the fact that
my son was in the ER due to high fever and seizures. Everything came out
Ok but still pissed me off DHR came to my door at all.

freeby4me
03-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Oh wow how scary. Im sure glad he's OK now (((HUGS)))

Willow
03-17-2008, 04:44 AM
I don't know anything about them but I'm glad that he's okay now. That must have been scary.

myspirit
03-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Oh wow how scary. Im sure glad he's OK now (((HUGS)))Blessings

cabby92
03-17-2008, 05:27 AM
My 15 year old one at about age 5. He never had another one, which was good because that one scared me enough.

Katt
03-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Mine had them. Its usually do to a fast spike in the temp. All three of mine, when they ran temps, would hit 105. The main thing the doctors told me to do was to make sure and alternate the tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, even if they felt cooler, until the fever had been down for at least 2 days. Thats because many don't give a dose, because the kid feels better, then they play etc, and it spikes. This way, they were kept at theraputic levels.

Kolby just had the one where he stopped breathing and it took two rescue breaths to get him going, after that, if a temp came on, I was a woman on a mission to make sure it stayed down.

You are lucky, they did septic workups on Kolby when he had his, when I got him home, he had 13 punctures on him, where they tried to do a lumbar and couldn't get it. They are so lucky it took a day before i removed the bandage on his back, otherwise some doctor would have been choking on his nuts.

ahippiechic
03-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Mine had them. Its usually do to a fast spike in the temp. All three of mine, when they ran temps, would hit 105. The main thing the doctors told me to do was to make sure and alternate the tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, even if they felt cooler, until the fever had been down for at least 2 days. Thats because many don't give a dose, because the kid feels better, then they play etc, and it spikes. This way, they were kept at theraputic levels.

Kolby just had the one where he stopped breathing and it took two rescue breaths to get him going, after that, if a temp came on, I was a woman on a mission to make sure it stayed down.

You are lucky, they did septic workups on Kolby when he had his, when I got him home, he had 13 punctures on him, where they tried to do a lumbar and couldn't get it. They are so lucky it took a day before i removed the bandage on his back, otherwise some doctor would have been choking on his nuts.

13?? OMG! Poor kid! :(

evrita
03-17-2008, 07:29 AM
I just wanted to say ((((huggs)) It is scary my newphew had one and never had them again he is a grown man now. I get calls for them all the time I am glad he is ok.

CLARKS4
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
:hugs: Glad he is ok. Hope he doesnt have anymore.

BBELEAZAHR
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
that would be so scary! Lotsa hugs your way, I hope he doesnt have any more....

ilikefree
03-17-2008, 01:10 PM

My now 14-year-old had one just a week after his 2nd birthday (he was in the hospital on his 1st birthday from an ear infection missed by his incompetent doctor). Scared me to death since I was home alone with him. Same as Katt...fast spike in temp. and the ER docs told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours. After he was realeased, they made an appointment for him to come in and do testing just to be sure it was from the fever and nothing else. They gave him something to make him sleepy, then stuck a whole bunch of things on his head so they could monitor him while he was asleep. Luckily that was the only one he ever had.

ntgsmommy
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
you all are very lucky..my child has seizures everyday...usually tonic-clonic though, not febril..he's even had grand mal seizures..and has been through the list of meds for them..you get by everyday with God's help and meds. There is nothing you can do to prevent them from happening. (febrile seizures yes) alchol baths (rubbing not the kind you drink) lol to bring the fever down, and tylenol and motrin..good luck though, I know what you are gong through, just don't think you have to put anything in there mouths or restain them when they are having a seizure, they used to do that, but it's not recommened now, becasue they can actually loose teeth by having a wallet or a spoon stuck in their teeth or mouth from the biting down...I know wat off topic..but Good luck, I hope he never has them again...they are scary to watch.

buglebe
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
My oldest one had them. Glad she is grown now.

Aloha from paradise
03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Gosh Jamie,
How awful to have that happen. Good thing he was home with Adam. I've never heard of them but hope he doesn't have anymore. Will keep the whole family in my prayers.

ang in NC
03-17-2008, 07:19 PM
poor baby, take care Jkatherine

YankeeMary
03-17-2008, 08:01 PM
My Steven had 5 of them when he was little. We never knew he was sick until he had a seizure. It was all due to ear infections. We did the tubes, doc refused to remove one of the tubes after 2 and a half years so he had to have reconstructive surgery and has been just fine every since. I was told after 3 seizures they put them on phenobarbital for precaution. Our neurologist put Steven on pheno until his ear reconstruction was healed. Thank God for him. It is a scary thing to go through when it is your own child. Hugs to Adam as I am sure he was terrified. I pray he never ever has another. HUGS to you all.

tntsmom
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I started having seizures due to a very high fever when I was 8. They did not go away. I have been epileptic for 20 years now. After the one from the fever I started have peti mals regularly. When I hit puberty they went to gran mals. I now have 4 different types of seizures, which in turn has made me unable to drive or work.

My brother began having seizures when he was 2, he bumped his head on a table. His seizures never went away either.

I am not trying to scare you with our expierences, but I wanted to luk that sometimes they don't go away. Or because of the seizure when he is young he might develop epilepsy sometime later in life.

If you have any questions, please ask them, I feel like an encyclopedia about epilepsy. Plus it always helps to know that you are not alone.

Hugs, Faith

iluvmybaby
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM

You are lucky, they did septic workups on Kolby when he had his, when I got him home, he had 13 punctures on him, where they tried to do a lumbar and couldn't get it. .

OMG That is so scary too!

earnhardt1
03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
props to hubby, glad the Lil one is going to be OK, my son chocked on candy when he was 2 so i freaked but did a finger sweep and when the medics got here they freaked out on me telling me i could have made it worse but i was what saved his life so they can kiss my big booty...... just be glad your family was there for you and everything will be ok..........

YNKYH8R
03-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I just found this thread while looking for another one. Thanks everyone.

Doing CPR on your child is the scariest thing I'll ever do. It will make for an interesting story down the road.

earnhardt1
03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
I just found this thread while looking for another one. Thanks everyone.

Doing CPR on your child is the scariest thing I'll ever do. It will make for an interesting story down the road.

i agree it is... props to being a quick thinking daddy