PDA

View Full Version : Landlords Got Me Ticked Off

mirage7000
03-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Got a letter from landlord with rent increase and I talked to neighbor who has the same apartment as me. One bedroom and they have three people living there and two cats. I live alone. My rent is going up $35 while theirs $15. Spoke to the jerk today and he says none of my concern what they are paying. He also lied about the assessment going up on the building. I called the assessors office and nope it didn't. I have to say he is young and sounds absolutely stupid! :getyou

Freebeemom
03-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I know rent increases are probably going to be more common now, as gas prices are rising everywhere. I can't say I don't blame you, but step in line.

He may be a bad liar when it comes to why he is raising the rent and his method may be screwed up, but times are going to get worse before they get better I am afraid. Step in line!

mirage7000
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I know rent increases are probably going to be more common now, as gas prices are rising everywhere. I can't say I don't blame you, but step in line.

He may be a bad liar when it comes to why he is raising the rent and his method may be screwed up, but times are going to get worse before they get better I am afraid. Step in line!

Yep I realize prices going up but why more from me than others? He is slumlord and just hard for me to move in the winter. I just think he increased mine more because he knows I live alone and it would be difficult for me to move. He took over the building about a year ago and this place is a mess. The hallway is enough to make anyone sick (filth) I had to carry a flashlight for months because the lights did't work in the hall. I could just go on and on about the slumlord! Yes I hope to move but it's winter here and still snows and what a mess it would be. Making me sign a lease now stinks!

christianw27
03-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm probably a dork but why do you have to sign a lease now? because your rent is going up? I never heard of that....:itsme:

Shann
03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
If I were you, I would be moving in the winter, your place sounds nasty, and I'd be calling the codes dept and complaining on his butt, I think you've complained about your buidling before? I don't understand how ppl live like that. If I'm paying rent I expect to be living in a nice clean building where things are taken care of in a timely fashion, but that's me. I would not live in a nasty icky place or in the ghetto.

loveswolfs
03-15-2008, 02:50 PM
If you dont like the place then move. I moved in Feb when it was cold and snowing and no it wasnt a mess. A lot of ppl move during the winter months, i know you have complained about this before & dont understand why you are still there. Like the land lord said its non of your concern how much the neighbor or any other renter is paying or how much thier rent is going up a month. Who knows maybe the neighbor just said they have to pay 15 when it really is 35. Were getting close to spring i would be looking in the paper for a new place to live then you wont have to worry about who's paying what for rent.

tljohn123
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
East Liverpool huh....I have a used to be good friend that lives there. Haven't talked to him in a few years.

Mirage, have you got ahold of the tenants union?? Or do you have something like that where you are? You should try and find something else though, even if it is still winter. That place doesn't sound safe OR healthy.

iluvmybaby
03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
That's totally outrageous! I wonder if your next store neighbor will get in trouble 4 telling you how much her rent went. I know renters have a LOT of rights, not sure if it covers rent increases tho.

Pepsi4me
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
That suxs!

Taterbo
03-15-2008, 07:07 PM
This is not legal..He can't discriminate against you...I would be calling your local heath and welfare/codes enforcement office and getting the unsafe conditions addressed..Then I would be calling the city/town/county attorney and asking for the department that handles renters/landlord disputes..He can't pick and chose who gets rent increases..The increases have to equatable across the board..I would also check into if your area has regulations on when he can ,make increases..like only at the time of renewal of a lease.. You have a lot of rights..Stand up for yourself..Don't allow this bully slumlord to push you around..

pepperpot
03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I'd move....moving is one day of your life with a moving truck. You'll be better off.....somewhere else....or just pay the $35 till the snow melts (not sign a lease....)

christianw27
03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes....I am stuck in East Liverpool, Ohio....I'm amazed at the amount of people who are on the board that are close by or know someone around here....

myspirit
03-16-2008, 03:32 AM
This is not legal..He can't discriminate against you...I would be calling your local heath and welfare/codes enforcement office and getting the unsafe conditions addressed..Then I would be calling the city/town/county attorney and asking for the department that handles renters/landlord disputes..He can't pick and chose who gets rent increases..The increases have to equatable across the board..I would also check into if your area has regulations on when he can ,make increases..like only at the time of renewal of a lease.. You have a lot of rights..Stand up for yourself..Don't allow this bully slumlord to push you around..

I would have to agree with her. Once again, I've never heard of such a thing. Sheltered life I guess.

PrincessArky
03-16-2008, 05:30 AM
whatever you do I just hope things work out

mosdata1
03-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Do you have a current lease, or are you month-to-month? This would determine if he could raise your rent right now or not. Even if you're month-to-month, he has to give you at least 30 days notice. He actually has the right to raise (or not) the rent differently for each apt - if there are just a few apts (especially since it is such a small mulit-family dwelling - not a large apt building). I'm sure there are laws stating the max percentage he can raise your rent. Call your state housing auth & find out what it is, and make sure he's not raising your rent more than the allowed percentage.
Also, I would not sign the lease. I would just continue to live month-to-month, and look for a new place.
If you are able to find something now, great, if not, just keep looking. I don't know how the housing mkt is in your area, but many landlords are searching pretty hard to get some tenants into their apts around here, and some rents have even decreased, because the landlords don't want to have empty apts (condos, houses), while their insurance, taxes & over all costs keep rising.
Good luck on your search.