PDA

View Full Version : `Stuff White People Like'

Jolie Rouge
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
`Stuff White People Like' blog a hit
By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer
29 minutes ago

Oscar parties, standing still at concerts, marathons, David Sedaris — these are all things white people like, according to a new Web site.

Since starting earlier this year, Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com) has drawn more than 11 million hits and has fast become an Internet sensation.

The blog was created by 29-year-old Christian Lander, an Internet copy writer living in Los Angeles. Its sarcastic mission statement: "This is a scientific approach to highlight and explain stuff white people like. They are pretty predictable."

With nearly daily updates, the blog has worked up to 87 entries. A sampling includes white people's proclivity for modern furniture, NPR and outdoor performance clothes.

White people have long been the easy butt of jokes, but the appeal of Stuff White People Like is not just in its observations, but its general contention that those who think they're as unique as a snowflake (and perhaps have the same pigmentation) are really engaging in groupthink.

The satire, obviously, isn't exactly aimed at all white people. Most of the jokes are at the expense of either yuppies (Apple products, coffee, modern furniture) or hipsters (indie rock, vegetarianism, Michel Gondry).

One entry declares: "The number one reason why white people like not having a TV is so that they can tell you that they don't have a TV."

On the recently concluded HBO series "The Wire," the blog reads: "In white culture, giving away information about a film or TV series is considered as rude as spitting on your mothers grave. It is an unforgivable offense."

You might (fairly) say that the world doesn't need any more stereotypes. But Stuff White People Like wouldn't be the success that it is if it weren't astutely skewering people who think they're expressing their individuality or hipness but are actually running with the pack.

Of course, it should come as no surprise that irony also is deemed "stuff white people like." Though the entry for irony lists things such as trucker hats and white trash parties, there's no better example than the blog, itself.

Among the stuff that white people like is, well, "Stuff White People Like."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_en_re/on_the_net;_ylt=AsneYvsMs5hLJUVIuv50nkKs0NUE

This explains sooo much ...

ahippiechic
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
`Stuff White People Like' blog a hit

Oscar parties, standing still at concerts, marathons, David Sedaris — these are all things white people like, according to a new Web site.

Ewwwww! I don't like any of those things....wait...I'm not all white anyway, lol! :D

Shann
03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
whose David Sedaris? :lol this isn't very accurate for me and I'm all whitey but I have a little gansta in me :lol j/k! :p one can dream, can't she?

ahippiechic
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
whose David Sedaris? :lol this isn't very accurate for me and I'm all whitey but I have a little gansta in me :lol j/k! :p one can dream, can't she?

You can be gangsta if ya want Shann! Everybody got a little thug in them!

PrincessArky
03-13-2008, 04:58 AM

yeah thats what I wanna know who is David Sedaris

Willow
03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah, who is David Sedaris? LOL

ahippiechic
03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sedaris

I found that....

dcut4
03-13-2008, 11:16 AM
I LOVE David Sedaris!! I am reading his book of essasy "Naked" right now. He is a humor writer.

His sister is Amy Sedaris from the comedy central series 'Strangers with candy'

MistyWolf
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Stand still at a concert? .. Are you crazy?!?!? I'm usually crashing through a mosh pit to get to the front .. hah!

Diana777
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I am not one of them. Must be for wealthy white people. How many actually have Oscar parties? lol! too funny. It's like a you must be a redneck list for the upper class.

Shann
03-13-2008, 09:01 PM
You can be gangsta if ya want Shann! Everybody got a little thug in them!

:lol sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D :dancing: now back to my regularly scheduled thug time :kidding