PDA

View Full Version : home remedies?

lymi
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I just got over a nasty cold. Which got me thinking. We have the "frugal" thread. But do any of ya'll know of any good home remedies for anything? I've seen lots of books and all that you wonder if they work or not. What have ya'll tried that really works. Any kind of home remedy

MsLynn
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
HONEY!!!, it has natural antibiotic properties... My dad uses it for cuts. he's had several that should have had stitches (one to the bone), he just soaked it in raw honey every day and he barely has scars even.

i ate it for years, and was very rarely sick and if i was it was very light, but this past year it got to hurting my teeth too bad, so i had to stop, OMG I just got over being so sick.

vicky122
03-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I cup of hot tea a clove of garlic cut up and a 1/2 of lemon sliced. Make HOT tea and add the stuff and let it sit a bit for the garlic to cook a little then drink it and eat the garlic.

ang in NC
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
water and more water

mirage7000
03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
The salt and water solution for sinuses works well. Snorting it up your nose. The doctor that Oprah has on sometimes recommended it too. Not good at explaining how to do it lol but I'm sure it's on the web.

christianw27
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
ITA with the saltwater up the nose thing...

if you get stung and tape a penny to it it draws out the poison, the penny actually turns shiny....

saltwater for mouth sores works good too...

HOW ABOUT SOME GOOD OLD MERTHIOLATE.....my grandma used to paint me pink with that junk and ooooh did it burn... anyone else grow up looking like a pink spotted thing...?

tngirl
03-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Vick's vapor rub twice daily on your toe nails gets rid of toe fungus. I haven't done this but one of my husband's doctors recommended it to him.

Jackie_Blu
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I have a ton of things I do for different things, but one that comes to mind at the moment ( was thinking about colds) if you have congestion and use vicks vaporub or mentholatum.....I heard one time rubbing it in the bottoms of your feet does you more good than on your chest. whenever I get a cold with congestion I rub it on chest and soles of feet, then put on warm socks & bootie things to generate warmth. It really does help.

tngirl
03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh, another one that I know works for a fact. I learned this back in the day of having to wear boots all the time and having wet feet. That is the life of working on a farm.

For athelete's foot, soak your feet in bleach water, takes care of it after a couple of times soaking. Dated a guy once that had 3 sons and you know how guys are bad about getting AF. They were constantly spraying that foul smelling spray on their feet. They tried my remedy and before long they didn't have the problem anymore.

lymi
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
ITA with the saltwater up the nose thing...

if you get stung and tape a penny to it it draws out the poison, the penny actually turns shiny....

saltwater for mouth sores works good too...

HOW ABOUT SOME GOOD OLD MERTHIOLATE.....my grandma used to paint me pink with that junk and ooooh did it burn... anyone else grow up looking like a pink spotted thing...?

omg. We used to call it monkey blood. Do they still sell it?

MsLynn
03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
i forgot...

about the honey, its really good for allergies, if you can get raw honey from your area.....

MistyWolf
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Gargle with warm salt water for a sore throat .. I personally hate salt so I don't do it.

Hot tea with lemon and honey also soothes a sore throat.

Fred12
03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
The salt water sinus thing is a Neti Pot, it sounds gross but it really helps. Here is a You tube link to see how to use it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzK9Gn4E_Eg

The place I got mine recommend not using tap water, use warmed distilled water.

I agree about eating raw honey everyday and using it for wounds. I am lucky my BIL is a bee keeper.

ssgjeg
03-11-2008, 06:54 AM
For a bad cough

1 tsp. raw honey
1 tsp Braggs apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp warm water

Takes care of my cough within minutes. Must warn though. It tastes terrible. Worked for my sons cough but he refuses to drink it because he can't stand the taste. He would rather smell like Vicks.