PDA

View Full Version : 10 Worst Baby Names of 2007

janelle
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/babyandpregnancy/articletkt.aspx?cp-documentid=6359418&GT1=32001

10 Worst Baby Names of 2007
What were these parents thinking?
The Nest Baby Editors

People like to get creative when it comes to selecting the perfect name for their new arrivals. But in the quest to be unique, some kids get stuck with monikers that do more than make them stand out in a crowd. Here's The Nest Baby's picks for the most questionable choices from the past year.

Ptolemy: The only other one we know of is an ancient Greek astronomer, mathematician, and man extraordinaire. Actress Gretchen Mol reached a little too far back in history for this Mediterranean-inspired choice. No one will be able to pronounce it, and what happens when the kid studies his namesake in school?

Magnus: Sounds too much like a prophylactic, volcanic matter, or a dated albeit then-popular Tom Selleck TV drama. Comic Kevin Nealon must be playing a joke on all of us with this choice.

E-: E...what? You'd think if you had to name your kid after a letter, Jay would be much better than this one, which was selected by parents in Washington. And while we're (grudgingly) willing to accept the use of apostrophes in baby names, we can't say the same for the hyphen. At least not when there isn't any more name to follow it.

Story: Actress Jenna Elfman's pick. It just doesn't make sense and certainly won't start a literary trend. Article, Essay, or Narrative, anyone? Every baby has a tale to tell, just not this way.

Ever: This is an adverb, not even an adjective or a noun, which do okay as names if you're in a pinch. It's going to get confusing when actress mom Milla Jovovich scolds the kid, "Ever, don't ever do that again!"

Heaven Rain: The only good news here: Brooke Burke's two older daughters are named Neriah and Sierra Sky. Though little Heaven's got a pretty lofty title to live up to, she'll fit right in at home.

Alabama: The trend of naming kids after locations obviously appealed to actress Drea De Matteo, but she's not even from the Southern state. We do hope she's going to be called Allie for short and turns out to be good at geography.

Princess: Every little girl is a princess to her parents, but it's a secret nickname. It's also a good name for a little fluffy white dog. Prince pulls off the male version because he's a rock star, but this baby, daughter of model Jordan, is set to be spoiled. (Don't get us started on Tiaamii, her middle name,...)

Evan: Don't go ballistic: Evan is a great name...for a boy. We know many wonderful Evans. But in this case, Napoleon Dynamite star Jon Heder bestowed it on his baby girl. Sorry, it's so not unisex.

Superman: No explanation necessary for why this New Zealand name made the list, but how about the story behind it? The parents' first choice was 4Real (as in, "when we saw him on the ultrasound, we realized he was for real"), but government officials didn't go for it. Mom and dad settled on Superman but insist they'll still refer to him as 4Real. Way to get the last word in.

Photo: The Nest Baby

© 2008 The Knot Inc. All rights reserved.

bpl76
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Famous people are not the only idiots when it comes to naming babies. One of my son's friends named his new baby boy TARZAN. The poor child!!!

jayhawkfan
03-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Magnus is a completely legitimate name. The rest pretty much suck.

mirage7000
03-07-2008, 04:39 AM
I always thought Moon Unit Zappa was pretty strange. 4Real, Superman and Tarzan? Poor kid!

PrincessArky
03-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Magnus is a completely legitimate name. The rest pretty much suck.

yeah I actually kind of like that one :)

Adra
03-07-2008, 05:34 AM
I have two children that used to play video games and seems like this name Magnus was one of the villians in Chrono Trigger.

I have a friend that named their chld kasaac I tried to tell her that there is a desease that sounds like that. I don't think it is spelled the same but it sounds the same. But she would not listen, now that boy has to go the rest of his life bearing the name of a desease that kills people.

freeby4me
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Isnt Magnus like a Ukrainian name?
I think that ones OK, the rest though.....YIKES.

maysie
03-07-2008, 06:40 AM
I know Magnus is a Swedish name because it was my great-great-grandfathers. Of course back then in Sweden you used the fathers name and added son or dotter to the end for the childs last name.....wonder how I got the maiden name of Magnuson?

ladybugva
03-07-2008, 07:06 AM
wow those are all pretty bad. I think E- is the worse. I would be like, all you could come up w/ was a letter for me?!?!?! He will spend the rest of his life trying to explain that one.

Have heard (don't know if it's true b/c it's a long time ago) of twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello (pronounced w/ long E lemon jello -like zhello)

atprm
03-07-2008, 07:13 AM
there is a lady at work who named her child Furryel (furry el) and pronounces it
fer - real.

how sad huh?

metro
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
We have a girl at work who is due in a few months she plans on naming her daughter passion. Can you imagine passion as a 40 year old woman?? lol

kabcrisp
03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
We have a girl at work who is due in a few months she plans on naming her daughter passion. Can you imagine passion as a 40 year old woman?? lol

UGH.

Come on Passion. . .it's time for your pills.

Sounds horrible.

christianw27
03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
my mom named me Christian....:beamup

I'm a girlll.......

I get Mr. Christian a lot or people looking for a man when they call me....

and I also get SISTER CHRISTIAN you know the song...

or people try to call me Kristen....:slap

MDMooch
03-07-2008, 08:34 AM
i think heaven rain is my least favorite. brooke burke, who are you kidding?

there's an actress called evan rachel wood, so i think evan is okay with me. her friends will probably call her evie or something. i've heard alabama before.. i don't think that one is that bad.

lucimPI
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
A friend of mine named their son B J , well it was fine until he joined the military then they said that would not work so the army put him down as Bee Jay. Initials are great of their is a name that goes with it. My gosh, I have even named my dog's people names and now people are using names that not even names but symbols or names that I would not even use for a dog. I have to admit that I do like Magnus. Fer-real, can you imagine how much fun the other kids are going to have with a name like that. When are parents going to grow up and think about what these names are going to be like when a child gets to be in their 50's +.

jnc880
03-07-2008, 09:14 AM
yea well i got one my boyfriends sister is having a baby and if its a boy they are calling it wolf gang???????wtf kinda name is that!!!!!!

Adra
03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I forgot to say that my grandson has a little blanket that he calls EEEE I actually had to kiss it good night the last time he spent the night here.

buglebe
03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
My grandson is named Rowan and I love it. But we met a little girl named Rowan so guess it can go either way. But it is a difficult name for people who want to say Roland.
One of the worst names I ever heard was the name of a girl I worked with.
Her name is spelled Badnette. And people who didn't know her pronounced it as it is spelled, Bad Nette. But it was supposed to be pronounce Ba netta.
My name is Sondra, I get Sandra so much. And I don't like being called that. I wish mom had just named me Sandra. It is like being named Carolyn and being called Carol, or you can think of others.
Names are very important. They stay with people all their lives. Teachers form opinions of children just by the name before they meet them.
My grandmother was named Claude. She changed it to Claudia. My aunt was named Jewel and changed it to Judith. My father was named WC Jr. Well as mentioned above that doesn't work.

magickay
03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
yea well i got one my boyfriends sister is having a baby and if its a boy they are calling it wolf gang???????wtf kinda name is that!!!!!!

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Wolfgang Puck

and a professor on campus is Wolfgang...but it certainly isn't a common name.

jayhawkfan
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
My grandson is named Rowan and I love it. But we met a little girl named Rowan so guess it can go either way.

Ohhh I love Rowan, for a boy LOL. Thats what we were going to use. I always get crap for my name. Marisa. Mah-Ris-Ah. Not Mah-Res-ah, Mah-reees-ah, or Melissa, or Marsha LOL

ladybugva
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I forgot to say that my grandson has a little blanket that he calls EEEE I actually had to kiss it good night the last time he spent the night here.

that's what my youngest called his also.

remember in the 80's that Aquanetta was popular like the hairspray.

My cousin has a Dejah, which I know is some what common but I joked (w/ mom) that it was like Dejah voo b/c it was baby #3 w/ dad #2.... like here we go again... so it workd.

Bliss
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a friend named Magnus, so the name doesn't seem odd to me.

nanajoanie
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I actually like Mangus and Wolfgang. Would be good names for an executive to work. Good mens names in my book.

DrGrin
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I know someone who named their baby girl Nevaeh I thought it was a pretty strange name. Most people just look at her kind of funny when she says the name. And she tells them it's "heaven spelled backwards". The baby's middle name is Nicole.

jnc880
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Wolfgang Puck

well i think its a stupid name sorry...lol wolfgang come wolfgang time for lunch:rofl:

jnc880
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I actually like Mangus and Wolfgang. Would be good names for an executive to work. Good mens names in my book.

alrighty then

mirage7000
03-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Wolfgang Puck

There's Wolfgang Van Halen too. Don't personally like the name.

waterfalls
03-07-2008, 03:07 PM

I think Valerie Bertinelli said they have always called him Wolfie.I don't care for the name myself.

jnc880
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM

me either...lol:rofl: