PDA

View Full Version : What do you cook?

G'maDebbie
03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I am tired of the same old things every week that I am cooking for dinner and I am looking for other ideas, you know the ones that are family favorites or something you have conjured up yourself. I am doing low-carb myself, but the rest of the family is still eating "normal" dinners. Just looking for ideas. TIA!!

CLARKS4
03-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Some of the things we have are
homemade chicken pie
homemade pizza
tacos from the little taco bell dinner kits
fried chicken strips
lasagna
bar b q chicken
Talipa(sp?) fish

YankeeMary
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I am tired of the same old things every week that I am cooking for dinner and I am looking for other ideas, you know the ones that are family favorites or something you have conjured up yourself. I am doing low-carb myself, but the rest of the family is still eating "normal" dinners. Just looking for ideas. TIA!!

I know how you feel, as I feel just like this. Seems some nights making dinner is a chore. I know my family is tired of the same ole same ole, but dang I am out of ideas. I am curious as to what others post.

RNB16
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I make something called hamburger pie. My family Loves it and it is pretty simple to make as well. You take uncooked hamburger and press into a pie pan or other baking dish to create a crust. Then in layers, a can or 2 of a vegtable, then Stove Top stuffing (cooked), a can of cream of chicken soup, Then a layer of Cheese. Sometimes before I top with cheese I'll put a layer of Garlic Cheese mashed potatoes. Bake in oven till hamburger is cooked through.

Tasha405
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I feel like I make the same ole stuff over and over here too!

Our meals are....

Chicken casserole
Meatloaf
Steak & Gravy
Spaghetti
Taco salads
Chicken & rice burritos
grilled chicken
hotdogs or burgers

While I love all of the food I make it just gets old since it seems like these are all I ever cook. I would love to have some new ideas and recipes too!

magenta
03-06-2008, 11:05 AM
One of my family's favorites is Jambalaya. I buy 2 boxes of Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix add cooked ground Bob Evans Hot & Spicy Sausage, shredded chicken breast & bag of jumbo shrimp. I also add black pepper & ground red pepper cuz we like hot. I am sure it doesn't compare to authentic, but we really like it. lol

Another dish we make when we are bored is chicken parm.

My DH loves chicken and biscuits but I hardly ever make it cuz it has to be the most unhealthy artery clogger out there. 3 pints (those little ones like the size of school milk) of heavy cream, melted stick of butter & 3 packs of powder chicken gravy all whisked together then add shredded or chopped up chicken, pepper, serve over grands butter milk biscuits. It is really good, but then it kinda sits there in your belly!

Wanted to add this, Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwiches
Boneless chicken breast, (or I have used patties), topped with deli ham & swiss cheese.

Yes we eat alot of chicken, and I am a short cut cook.

shellysms
Things i make alot..

scalloped potatoes & ham
Beef Stew or Roast Beef
Meat Loaf & pototoes
Burrito's
Taco's
Grilled cheese with bacon on them
homemade chicken pot pie
homemade chicken noodle soup
Fried Chicken (having that tonight)
****-on-the-shingles - crumbled hamburger, cubed potatoes & cream sauce pour over biscuits.
Onion Burgers & fries
Toasted Bread with peppered turkey & cheese melted

Ok..now, i'm hungry.. but that's alot of what I fix.

shellysms
sorry duplicate post

Char
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm right there with ya G'maDebbie, I cook, but, have been doing it too long...lol, get bored with it...

We eat...

meatloaves
steak (grilled)
boneless, skinless chicken boobs' (grilled and crock pot w/gravy)
spaghetti
pizza (Dominos...lol)

I did make mexican plates the other night, where you break up the tacos, spread them on a plate, top them with your taco meat, tomatoes, hot sauce, taco cheese... nuke the plate to melt the cheese, then top it with a bunch of sour cream... you eat it with a fork, awesome !

Oh, hubster likes when I make fried green beans... you just need canned green beans, potatoes, pre-cooked bacon, salt and pepper, and fry them down in butter... takes about an hour to cook, but, he loves it... he's easy to please. :D

Oh... and, the Potato and Ham stew... it's addictive ! It's a taste you can't get anywhere else.

Ok............................... I give up, I could do this all day !

Kimberly61
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I cook the same things over and over too, every now and then I will try something new and more times then not it wont be liked. And when I ask for suggestions no one seems to have any so they get what I make lol

I gotta ask though: How do you all make your scalloped potatoes and ham? I have tried several recipes and hubby says its ok but he wants it like his mom used to make it(I am sure you all have heard that one before too lol) so I am interested in how you all do it.

Things that we have on a reg. basis is chicken dinners, chicken fajitas, chili, spag., chorizo breakfast buritto's, chicken fingers and fries, enchilada's, taco's, homemade pizza or homemade french bread pizza..............I cant wait till summer so we can do some cooking out!

ahippiechic
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
This week we've had
Talapia w/ wild rice & green beans
Cajun chicken breasts, potato wedges and broccoli
Red beans and rice w/turkey kielbasa sliced up in it
Pizza Hut Pizza
Tonight my 6 yr old is cooking, so we're having mac & cheese and hotdogs, lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I LOVE to cook. I look up alot of new things to try.I also have about 20 cookbooks lol

G'maDebbie
03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I cant wait till summer so we can do some cooking out!

It is suppose to be nice next week here in Michigan....maybe then we can pull out our grills!! :dancing:

MDMooch
03-06-2008, 12:13 PM
i cook lots of stir fry. easy and quick.

Idashopper
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I just made something today at lunch we liked. I made it up...

I had some frozen broccoli I steamed. Poured off the water and then added olive oil to the pan.

Then add:

Garbanzo Beans
Red Pepper
Salt and Pepper
Italian Seasoning ( All I had was Bragg's Seasoning, so I used that.)
Minced Garlic

I browned all of that together and then when it was through sprinkled it with Parmesan Cheese.

4diego
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
At this time of year, we love to make corned beef in the crock pot. Makes the whole house smell yummy! Sometimes I cheat and buy one of the party size frozen lasagna's from Wal-Mart. They cost about $10 or $12 and it feeds all 5 of us. I make lasagna and it's waaayyy more expensive than that.

BBELEAZAHR
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
tortilla soup
arroz con camerones(spanish rice topped with cream sauce shrimp bell peppers onions and mushrooms
tamales(my kids love to make these
I love to take that house of Tsang peanut sauce and saute it with diced chicken and add peanuts to it then serve it over white rice with steamed veg.
tonight we are having gorditas(homemade tortillas that are stuffed with shredded beef in a red salsa and topped with sour cream and fresh mexican cheese.
oh I made my own version of chow mein the other night and it was so good I took and sliced up some green cabbage in small pieces and added shredded carrots and celery cooked it till it was almost done then I added my sauce(soy sauce with a little water and some corn starch to give it thickness)and topped it with fried pork and cruncy chow mein noodles.
My kids love the soft lomein noodles I take a big platter and fill it with all kinds of steamed veggies and a couple different meats and let them add what they like to there lomein noodles(I just cook sketti noodles and add a fried rice seasoning packet to it and they turn out really good..

ahippiechic
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
We're having arroz con camarones tomorrow night....so good!

Shann
03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I LOVE to cook. I look up alot of new things to try.I also have about 20 cookbooks lol

same here, I'm always trying new recipes, if it was up to Luke we would eat: hamburgers and fries, pizza, chicken, and spaghetti all the time, let me tell you those things get OLD so fast. I love mexican so I'm always trying new mexican restaurants. I'm also on mailing lists for like kraft and family time and get a lot of neat ideas from there, www.allrecipes.com is also my fave recipe search forum. Sorry I was really no help, I'm sure the same things Luke would like us to eat over and over are the same ones most ppl do eat over and over :lol

tough guy
03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
This week we have had:

salmon cakes, saffron rice and peas

Goulash and homemade rolls

stuffed pork roast

frita- which is a type of mexican stew. We use pork for this

DH made chicken foot and shrimp soup, which he ate. NOT me!!

Qtxann315
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I love to cook but I can't stand in the kitchen for hours now. I noticed that about 1 hr in the kitchen my back becomes sore because of the baby. I also use allrecipes.com and I love it there because of all the ratings. One of my favorite soup is SUPER SOUP that I make with chicken, enchiladas, soft taco nights, meatloaf, spaghetti, hamburger hash, chicken with stuffing, beef and pasta dish etc. Look at the recipe website, it will definitely give you good ideas for new meal planning.

buglebe
03-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh, hubster likes when I make fried green beans... you just need canned green beans, potatoes, pre-cooked bacon, salt and pepper, and fry them down in butter... takes about an hour to cook, but, he loves it... he's easy to please.

-----------------------------------
I made this last night, recipe came from another post. We are on weight watchers, works great with that, and we loved it. Oh left off the butter and used unsalted beef broth (canned)

buglebe
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Tough Guy, we have a recipe called goulash made with chile. What is your goulash?

Freebeemom
03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
This week we had:
Beef Roast, pot, vegies
Left over beef roast made into tacos
Pita sandwiches (no meat), pasta salad
Stuffed Peppers
Tonight: we are making home made pizza
Tomorrow: Chicken wraps

ProudUSAma
03-07-2008, 01:01 PM
lasagna and meatballs sicilian style, of course!

christianw27
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
meatballs
stuffed peppers
spanish steak
pepper steak
ranch friend chicken (fried chicken with dry ranch dressing in it)
fried potatoes and brown gravy
spaghetti
cabbage rolls

christianw27
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh...ps...if you IM me your e mail addy I have a cookbook that was all my grandma's favorite recipes that I made and gave away as a gift this year its just a bunch of stuff but I can send it to you as an attachment if you want it.

I'd be happy to e mail it to you. Oddly today is the anniversary of her death seven years ago. Its got some really awesome stuff in it.

She taught me how to cook and make candy and everything.....sigh

It would make me happy to pass along the cookbook if anyone is interested.

christianw27
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
If anyone else wants a copy of the cookbook PM me and I will e mail it to you.
I sent it to some people already and I hope they enjoy.