PDA

View Full Version : Do you have health insurance?

PrincessArky
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Just wondering with all the Dems talking about health insurance how many ppl don't have any

Char
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh, we have it, through the hubsters job... and we pay $96.00 every two weeks for it !

Just to cover hubster, his is only $26 every two weeks to just cover himself, but, it's the $96 to cover us both, and, it would be $104 to cover us and ANY number of children ! It doesn't seem fair to me.

I could see $26 for him... $52 to cover us both, and, an x amount for each child or something.

Between insurance, 401-k, taxes etc... they hold nearly $600 every two weeks from his pay.

maysie
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
We can't afford to pay the premium. I work part-time so I would have to pay about $300 every two weeks for my hubby and me because where I work they only pay most of it if you are full time and my part time and off 3 months of the year besides we cannot pay it.

PrincessArky
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, we have it, through the hubsters job... and we pay $96.00 every two weeks for it !

Just to cover hubster, his is only $26 every two weeks to just cover himself, but, it's the $96 to cover us both, and, it would be $104 to cover us and ANY number of children ! It doesn't seem fair to me.

I could see $26 for him... $52 to cover us both, and, an x amount for each child or something.

Between insurance, 401-k, taxes etc... they hold nearly $600 every two weeks from his pay.

I know what ya mean the prices are just crazy.......at hubby job you have either single or family (doesnt matter if its just spouse or a dozen kids) single plan is less than $20 a week and family plan is over $75 a week now :( So I will never have insurance again until I go back to work lol $300 a month for us is about the same as lossing almost a whole weeks check :(

loris520
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I hear ya char. We just got our Health insurance and my hubby workes for the county we pay $500.00 a month for the family and thats not PPO. But I am glad to have it thats for sure I have not had health insurance in 3 years.

MsLynn
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I have it, but to add my kids its over $500. you get either the individual coverage, with my employer pays for, but if you cover one or 10... its the same... PISSES ME OFF... thats why my kids are on sooner care... but our co-pays are so expensive... our dr visits are $35. to get in the door, and then they still give us a bill for whatever the in doesn't cover, which is a lot, and then our co-pays for meds are up to $50... i know its still alot less than what i would have to pay without it, but if i go to the dr and get 2 scripts, it usually cost me over $100, and thats alot of money to go out that i didn't plan on going out.

oh well i'll quit *****ing now. can't change it, so why ***** about it

jayhawkfan
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
We did up until last Friday. My husband just changed jobs and is now an independant sales rep. So we have to do all the tax stuff and get our own insurance. Not looking forward to it at all, and not the best timing with the new baby coming. But we will deal with it.

vicky122
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I pay 48.00 every two weeks. That amount is for family. Our insurance is really good. We don't have a copay for Dr. visits and the emergency room is 10.00 but nothing if the admitt you.

Char
03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I hear ya char. We just got our Health insurance and my hubby workes for the county we pay $500.00 a month for the family and thats not PPO. But I am glad to have it thats for sure I have not had health insurance in 3 years.

I hear ya... that $96 that hubster pays is just the medical... we also pay a little more for extra life insurance and short/long term disability, just 'in case' something would happen to the hubster. You know, say he would break a leg or something, he'd be off work for three or four months, and, to have no income coming in would just byte ! We have savings, but, it's for when we get older...lol, I don't want to spend that now... so, we pay an additional $13 and change for that insurance.

He's a nurse now, has been for almost 4 years, he sees every day what can happen via accidents. Scary stuff for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks, so far, like it's about even...

After hubsters plant shut down, and, he went into college, we had no medical insurance that whole three years. That's scary too.

loris520
03-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I pay 48.00 every two weeks. That amount is for family. Our insurance is really good. We don't have a copay for Dr. visits and the emergency room is 10.00 but nothing if the admitt you.

Wow you are very lucky thats great prices.

jedmatters
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
yes: my husband has us covered: $305 a month to cover me and the kids. We have a deductible of $1200.

In July, I will change it to my company, and it will go down to $175 a month, with a lower deductible (only $400 a family). We wanted to take mine this year, but the school he works at only cancels at the end of the fiscal year or on termination of employment.

I refuse to go without insurance, we have two children and it just is impossible to live without.

Char
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Dang ! $10.00 co-pay for the ER !!! Hubster works at a hospital, and, the ER co-pay is $100.00 ! After the $100, they pay at 90%, if you are admitted, there is no ER fee.

BeanieLuvR
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes, through my husbands job.

BigLyd1
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Sounds like almost the exact same amounts for us, except that my job has the insurance. At least it's PPO but we're being warned that we'll probably be "forced" into an HMO eventually.

vicky122
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Dang ! $10.00 co-pay for the ER !!! Hubster works at a hospital, and, the ER co-pay is $100.00 ! After the $100, they pay at 90%, if you are admitted, there is no ER fee.

I work at a school. We use to get it free. Well we still do because when we had to start paying for it they gave us a raise to make up for it.

jayhawkfan
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I forgot to add that when we did have the insurance we paid 287 every 2 weeks for the family through his job at the hospital. Expensive and not very worth it. Hopefully we will be able to find s good deal.

sheila_361
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
we don't have any..

PrincessArky
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
We did up until last Friday. My husband just changed jobs and is now an independant sales rep. So we have to do all the tax stuff and get our own insurance. Not looking forward to it at all, and not the best timing with the new baby coming. But we will deal with it.

OMG thats gonna be a huge bill when the baby comes :(

LunaChick
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I pay about 75 dollars every two weeks for me and my hubby. That includes dental, prescription, vision and medical. I don't have a deductible. My copays vary. If I stay in the Penn network I pay 10 per visit, outside of the network I pay 20. I can go anywhere I want without a referral. All in all, I am very pleased with the coverage I have.

tigger4
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
We have it. It is over $350 a month for my husband and myself. To add our 4 children on would be over $1200 a month (that's how much our rent is so we can't afford both). So, our kids have insurance through the state.

On top of the premiums we pay over $300 a month in copays for my medications and doctor appointments.

I think my husband has used the insurance twice in the 3 years we have had it. I use it all the time, but it really isn't affordable.

ilovecats
03-04-2008, 06:32 PM
None here.

sunflowers
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I think the military have it best!

We have $3/$9 copays for Rx
100% cov for Drs and Hosp stays

Well thats at least active duty!

diana_circe
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Where I work it would be $176 for employee plus spouse, it would be $224 if we added the kids. Since I only make $9 an hour there is no way I can afford to cover us. Hubby makes less than I do for another couple of weeks, and where he works now it is almost as expensive to get insurance as it is where I work, so we have none. Where he starts next week has decent coverage, and he'll be making more an hour, so hopefully we'll be covered when his probation period is up.

We do both have dental through our perspective jobs, and I carry vision on us both, since we both need glasses. So we can go to the dentist and keep our eyes taken care of. At least until we both change jobs.

mirage7000
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Last I was paying was close to 300.00 a month for a single person. Couldn't afford it. Been without insurance for almost 3 years.

RNB16
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
We have it through my DH and for coverage on all 5 of us (me, DH, 3 kids) it's $135 a week. That is for Medical, Dental, vision, and our Flexible Spending accountwhich $1800 is put into a year. We have a $20 co-pay for office visits and $50 for the ER. For prescription coverage most generic drugs are $10 and brand name is a certain percentage of the cost.

moe265
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I have it thru my job. I pay around $56.00 a month with a $2500.00 deductible and I work at a health clinic! LOL. We have BCBS, my eye exams are covered at 100%. My daughter is covered under the state insurance, if I put her on my plan my deductible would be $5000.00 and my cost would be almost 200 a month which I cannot afford as a single mom. Her father doesn't keep a job long enough to cover her.

tsquared
03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I have insurance through the company and have my own Aflac Cancer insurance

YankeeMary
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
We have insurance and pay dearly for it. We pay $600.00 a month for it. We have really low copays and low deductables. We rarely pay anything other then copay/deductables out of pocket, the coverage is excellent. Well it was they recently changed and the doc told us about it, still waiting on a new policy to look over. Vision and Dental are included. Vision is 100% covered and $200 plus to pay towards glasses or contact lens. Dental is excellent. Both my sons have had braces and between our insurance and the insurance their father has on them, paid 100% for the braces.
I think it is horrible and wrong for people to have to pay so much for health insurance. So many doing without. It is sickening to me. I hope that whomever gets in the White House can push for the betterment of the American people and their health.

Beso
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I have no insurance, and I work for a dr. Cheap *astard. errrrr... I recently had to have a few blood tests. ($172.) Then had to see my regular family dr. ($94) I need to have ultra sound (didnt schedule that yet nit sure on $) I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia on Monday~ my family dr gave me a glucose machine from his office (free well kinda not) The test strips (oh my) 124. for 100 of them. ....Now the medicine.. migraine meds 237 for 7 PILLS, this new one 53, one to make me from getting sick 24. and one other 64.

All to feel better, not sure if its worth it yet.

rlynn411
03-04-2008, 08:15 PM
We pay just over $300 a month for a family policy - employer pays the other half. $20 co-pay for Dr visits. Perscriptions covered at $10, $20,or $30.

cuddlebugg
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
My DH's employer pays 100% of the premium, I think for us it is around $1700, that includes both of us and 4 kids. We have $30.00 co-pay for Dr. visits. Prescriptions vary they have different amounts they pay for generic, their A-list, etc. Dental is pretty good, have no vision which sucks for us as myself and 2 of the boys have contacts and I have one son still in glasses.

justme23
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I have it, but to add my kids its over $500. you get either the individual coverage, with my employer pays for, but if you cover one or 10... its the same... PISSES ME OFF... thats why my kids are on sooner care... but our co-pays are so expensive... our dr visits are $35. to get in the door, and then they still give us a bill for whatever the in doesn't cover, which is a lot, and then our co-pays for meds are up to $50... i know its still alot less than what i would have to pay without it, but if i go to the dr and get 2 scripts, it usually cost me over $100, and thats alot of money to go out that i didn't plan on going out.

oh well i'll quit *****ing now. can't change it, so why ***** about it

I know w/ our insurance, this is illegal but a lot of places still charge it because ppl don't know... have you called the ins company to find out?

Beso
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Its only illegal if the office is charging you for your network discount. Its not illegal to charge someone if they have a coinsurance due.

tngirl
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't have health insurance but I also don't support a national health plan either, at least not what they have proposed so far.

Jackie_Blu
03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
We have ins. through DH's job. He plans to retire in a year or less so I have been looking for something affordable for me when the time comes. I dont want to be without ins., its scary to think about with some of the things I have been through.

LuvBigRip
03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
My company is employee owned and self insured. We pay nothing for either ourselves, spouses or dependants.

gmyers
03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
We don't have any right now but when my husband gets a truck driving job we'll have it again.

PrincessArky
03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't have health insurance but I also don't support a national health plan either, at least not what they have proposed so far.

heck no me either that is gonna be a HUGE cost at taxpayers expense I am sure

Willow
03-05-2008, 07:22 AM
We do have insurance but if we didn't we would have to get something because in July of last year they made having health insurance mandatory in the state of Massachusetts.

PrincessArky
03-05-2008, 08:03 AM
We do have insurance but if we didn't we would have to get something because in July of last year they made having health insurance mandatory in the state of Massachusetts.

hey for those that had to get it because of the new law how do they go about getting it?

hunny
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
We do have it, $50 a month for 2 of us. We have $15 copay and Prescriptions are $5 for generic and $10 for name brand.

Willow
03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
hey for those that had to get it because of the new law how do they go about getting it?

I'm not sure how those that didn't have it went about getting it. We've always been insured so it wasn't something we had to figure out. Sorry I'm not much help. LOL

tigger4
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Our copays are awful.

It is $100 for the ER, $75 for the Urgent Care, $15 for Doctor, and $20 for medication.

The only Urgent Care they have is in the middle of downtown and the last time I went there I counted 4 drugged out people, 3 hookers, and some other really nasty stuff. Needless to say, I didn't stay.

I have diabetes, some lung problems, need physical therapy, and have some other health issues. I can't afford to be this sick with this insurance.

PrincessArky
03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure how those that didn't have it went about getting it. We've always been insured so it wasn't something we had to figure out. Sorry I'm not much help. LOL

just didnt know if they helped ppl that cant afford it. Cause I know that most ppl w/out insurance don't have it because they cant afford it now if they dont they are breaking a law

tiahana
03-05-2008, 09:01 AM
We have ins. We pay $52 a week for 2 people on health,dental,& vision.
Our copays are $30 for dr visits and prescriptions run between $15-45.

Willow
03-05-2008, 09:07 AM
just didnt know if they helped ppl that cant afford it. Cause I know that most ppl w/out insurance don't have it because they cant afford it now if they dont they are breaking a law

I've been trying to find some info and this is what I've come across so far......

Massachusetts is the first state to require its residents to secure health insurance, a plan designed to get as close as practically possible to statewide universal health care. Presidential hopeful and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney originally introduced the idea in 2004. Effective July 1, 2007, the law, which uses federal and state tax dollars, is aimed at making health insurance affordable to all residents of the state, including low-income populations. Those who fall below the federal poverty line may be eligible for health care at no cost."

Nearly everyone has to have insurance, or else face a penalty at tax time.
Businesses with 11 or more employees have to pay a "fair share" of the cost, or they face a penalty, too.
The state has signed up more than 150,000 poor people for free or subsidized health insurance, negotiated lower-cost plans for everyone else, helped the self-employed and employees of small businesses qualify for group coverage, and required that, starting in 2009, everyone have prescription drug coverage and low deductibles so their health insurance actually helps when they get sick.

peaceluver
03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
We do have insurance but we still struggle with co-pays.

buglebe
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
We did not have insurance when we had our first child in 1964. The hospital charge for her was one thousand and five dollars. The dr was about $150. We do have insurance. All 3 of my children have been without insurance at some point in their lives. It is scary as hell not to have insurance.
I am for Hiliary but I am not for a government sponsored health care for everyone. I think everyone should have a choice of health care, meaning the government should have something affordable for everyone. But there are so many problems with the health care system now I just can't imagine if we were to have socialized medicine. Insurance rules the health care lives of those with it now. My friend in Germany has to wait months for health care that he may need immediately. My husband went on medicare this past Oct when he turned 65. It has been more headaches, more paperwork, more everything than when we were on our private insurance. It actually costs us more now than before because I still have to have insurance. And medicare is not free as many think. We pay a hundred dollars every 3 months for that. And then there is medicine. When my husband was in the army we never had a choice of doctors. Also I was pregnant but not 3 months yet so couldn't go to the prenatal clinic. I called one night because of the terrible cramps I was having and was told to take an aspirin. The next day I went to the regular clinic and was told to go directly to the hospital. The prenatal clinic still wouldn't see me. I lost my baby. No I don't blame anyone. But I thought the care I got sucked. Yes it was free but sometimes free things are worth just what you pay for t. Nothing. I know I am fortunate to be able to pay for insurance. Believe me when I say there should be health coverage for all. But no to the government controlling all health care. Oh I am an RN and I could certainly tell you some ways to cut cost in hospitals. The sue happy lawyers and people are one of the big problems that cause health care to be so expensive. ok off my soap box.

Shancopp
03-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Monthly, we pay:
for BC/BS Federal Employee plan $180 (dh/me/3 kids)
Metlife Dental $90 (all 5 of us)
United Concordia Dental $90 (all 5 of us)
Spectera Vision $30 (all 5)

So, about 400 mo for medical type insurance

robinA
03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
My DH's employer provides 100% medical, 90/10 dental and vision.
We pay 5.00 for presciptions.

erinma
03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't have insurance. can't really afford it.

dcut4
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I have insurance paid by my work. Soon I may have to pay a part but it will be alot cheaper than getting it on my own. In order for me to add my husband and 3 kids it would be over $1200 a month...uhhh no I would only bring home about $100 a month after that. No dental or vision.

Hubby is self employed and used to pay $510 a month. We recently dropped that coverage and went with a PPO with a $2500 deduct for $200 a month. He had to stop his bee allergy shots so now we just hope he doesn't get stung.

Kids..we can't afford to private insure. We qualify for the state insurance for them. It has been a life saver.

dangerousfem
03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
nope

ang in NC
03-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Husband has it w/ his work. He pays $180 every 2 wks, $30 for dental
Our daughter is high functioning autistic,blind/deaf r side,has lupus and is bipolar. Last yr we spent out of pocket $10,600! That was our part. Sadly since we are trying to buy our home and my husband works, she doesn't qualify for anything till she gets 18. Medical is killing us!

PrincessArky
03-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Husband has it w/ his work. He pays $180 every 2 wks, $30 for dental
Our daughter is high functioning autistic,blind/deaf r side,has lupus and is bipolar. Last yr we spent out of pocket $10,600! That was our part. Sadly since we are trying to buy our home and my husband works, she doesn't qualify for anything till she gets 18. Medical is killing us!

oh man I couldnt imagine doing that every year. I had one really bad year with my oldest and I ended up having to take a loan to pay off all the medical bills.......9 yrs later I am still paying the bank

buttrfli
03-29-2008, 05:44 PM
DH or I have never had insurance.

nanajoanie
03-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I have Medicare Part A and B and D. Couldn't make it without it.

flute
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
We do have insurance but we still struggle with co-pays.

Ditto - our copays aren't that bad - $20 for a DR visit (hell i'm luckyif i've got a $5 for an emergency gallon of milk!) $75 for ER, $250 for admittance -
and copays on prescriptions vary - $40 (for 5 pills) was the most i've had to spend so far. $5.25 is the lowest -

We also have a card that's "supposed" to help with prescription costs - above & beyond our insurance but I think the card is for people with worse insurance coverage than us cus it does nothing ~