PDA

View Full Version : How bad is hip replacement?

buglebe
02-28-2008, 09:58 PM
The other thread made me wonder just how bad this surgery is. My son is going to have to have it done soon. He is only 35. Anyone here who has had this surgery?

MistyWolf
02-29-2008, 05:29 AM
No, but AussieGirl's mom had the surgery done and said she wished she wouldn't have waited so long. Said she could instantly feel a difference.

Willow
02-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Kevin's mother has had both hips done. She has trouble with certain things like getting in and out of the car or getting up off the couch and things like that but she rides a bike and gets around fine once she's actually standing. LOL

SG420
02-29-2008, 07:37 AM
My grandmother had hip replacement surgery like 6 months ago and now she is paralyzed from the waist down, dont really know how that happened but guess maybe its one of the bad things that can happen, she is very old also and has had trouble getting around for a long time so that may have something to do with it. Hope all goes well for your son.

mirage7000
02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Boyfriend had one done at about 37 years of age. He is now 40. He was in a car accident years ago. His joint there turned to bone on bone. First surgery they done was drilling a hole to get circulation in there but it failed. I met him when he was in bad pain so I can say it was very successful. Able to do everything and no more pain. I guess there are different options as to which kind you want and I remember doing lots of research for him. Darn can't remember now what kind so when he gets home I will ask. Maybe titanium but not 100 percent sure. Wishing the best for your son! Hugs I'm thinking at his age he should do fine. Everything heals better when you are younger.

SLance68
02-29-2008, 02:07 PM
A friend at work just had one done. She was off the walker & cane after 1 week and said it was the first time in forever that she wasn't in pain. She is going to have the other side done around December and can't wait to get rid of the pain. She was only out of work full time about 6 weeks - came back part time after 3 weeks. She did the part time because her job is outside sales and driving that much was pretty uncomfortable.

catdance
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Broke my hip years ago, it was a grand recovery, but as your kid recovers make sure he has;
Water and meds, table side.
Make sure he gets the "grabber" thingy to reach for say magazines, remote, or things he can't reach.
I used that "blue foam thing" for more comfort in bed.
My Father had his hip replaced eons ago, My Mama the same, but more recent.
One thing that really helped all of us was a chair in the shower to bathe when one gets ready.
If your kid is using Tylenol #3, COLACE..OTC med.
Good luck.