View Full Version : Dates for tax relief checks being mailed

Shancopp
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
edited

info wasn't correct

Sorry guys!

ladybugva
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
wow we are at the very bottom of the list, we are in group 10.

good thing we are not depending on it.

dv8grl
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Damn, if it was under me we'd get it June 23rd, but since they go by DH it'll be Aug 23th.

Thanks for sharing, this information is very useful! :)

Jenefer3
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I thought they said they were being mailed out beginning in May?

Willow
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
August 13th for us. We were hoping to have it before then because we need to move to a bigger apartment and we were planning on using that money specifically for that.

Willow
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I thought they said they were being mailed out beginning in May?

That's what I had heard too but I guess they changed their mind.

Jenefer3
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Huh..I didn't realize they were allowed to change their minds without passing more bills and raising taxes.

Anyways..here's some more info from their site... The IRS reminds taxpayers when they file their 2007 tax return to use direct deposit, which is the fastest way to get both regular refunds and stimulus payments. However, taxpayers who use Refund Anticipation Loans (RALs) or enter into any other loan or financial agreement with their tax professional cannot receive their stimulus payments by direct deposit and instead will get a paper check.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179094,00.html

Willow
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
We used direct deposit so hopefully it will be a bit quicker.

ladybugva
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
make that we are group 9 I looked under mine, woo hoo up one whole section LOL

magenta
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Group 9 here too.

That blows. I was already dreaming how I was going to spend it...Phone Bill, Cable Bill, Electric Bill...LOL!

JKATHERINE
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure those dates are from the 2001 chart. But thanks, anyway, Shanncopp. :)

Jenefer3
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm in group 3 so that means it'll go on back to school supplies and clothes....well my daughter will be excited.

lassss
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
group 4 here !

hunny
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I heard on the Tv today that they were going to begin mailing them out the begining of May at the earliest. How do we know if we qualify for one and how much you get???

Jenefer3
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I heard on the Tv today that they were going to begin mailing them out the begining of May at the earliest. How do we know if we qualify for one and how much you get???

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

there's a link there that tells all about it and how to figure it out

tigger4
02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
That list is from the last set of checks that went out.

They have said that the people who file their taxes first this year, will receive their stimulus checks first. They will start processing the stimulus checks right after April 15th and checks will begin being sent out (or direct deposited) the beginning of May.

Everyone will be receiving a letter from the IRS stating how much of a rebate you will receive and when to expect it.

Shancopp
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I've have to tell DH about this. He got this in his govt email today

tigger4
02-26-2008, 01:17 PM
If you go to the home page for the IRS there is a link that will give you more information on the rebates. There are no dates on there though that say when things will be mailed out.

sandooch
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks Shanncop! Good thing it's under dh's social and not mine, or we'd be last on that list instead of a month earlier.

atprm
02-26-2008, 05:21 PM
01 and 03 here...so either way, group 1 and July 23rd! Yippee!!!

tngirl
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
We already got our refund and spent it so hopefully that means we will be one of the early ones. But it sure was nice catching up on the bills that got behind while the hubby was laid off of work. It is kind of strange being able to start a budget again.

loris520
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
The lady at H&R Block told us the checks are going to be mailed in May 08. Thim must be from 2001.

tracey74
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
ok is this also for people on disability? I couldnt find anywhere on the site about it

dangerousfem
02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
So what do the people on SS and DSS do? They don't normally file taxes.. so is there something they have to do to make sure they get their rebate? My MIL is on SS.

tracey74
02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I saw on the site that people on ssi (Supplemental Security Income) dont qualify Im going to call H&R block tomorrow and see if people on disability are eligible and see what they say if so it would be a big help If eligible. this is what the site says
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment

tnfuhs
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
If you totally rely on SSI, then you don't get a check..that totally sucks, because, since people that don't work, and don't collect ssi are able to file and get it, makes no sense to me, in that way.

tngirl
02-27-2008, 05:05 AM
If you totally rely on SSI, then you don't get a check..that totally sucks, because, since people that don't work, and don't collect ssi are able to file and get it, makes no sense to me, in that way.
Actually if you didn't work you are not eligible for the rebate. You have to have worked and made at least $3000 and file a return. Then the rebate that you get is a reduced one of $300 per indivdual or $600 for a couple. Then they have that crappy addition that people with kids get $300 per child.

I don't think that they should have added the provision for extra money for children. The majority of them have already received a bunch of "free" money on their tax return with EIC and now they get to get even more free money? Sounds like a rip to me.

nightrider127
02-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Actually if you didn't work you are not eligible for the rebate. You have to have worked and made at least $3000 and file a return. Then the rebate that you get is a reduced one of $300 per indivdual or $600 for a couple. Then they have that crappy addition that people with kids get $300 per child.

I don't think that they should have added the provision for extra money for children. The majority of them have already received a bunch of "free" money on their tax return with EIC and now they get to get even more free money? Sounds like a rip to me.

I do wonder why they are giving the extra money for children. A lot of families do get that EIC and get back more than they paid in to start with.

Wonder why they call it EIC? What do people do to earn it?

freeby4me
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
I do wonder why they are giving the extra money for children. A lot of families do get that EIC and get back more than they paid in to start with.

Wonder why they call it EIC? What do people do to earn it?

I would assume they earn it by "paying" for the kid. I guess. Not too sure to be honest.

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm pretty sure those dates are from the 2001 chart. But thanks, anyway, Shanncopp. :)

thanx for the heads up........wonder when the new dates will be posted

Jan65
02-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Notices

Most taxpayers will receive two notices from the IRS. The first general notice from the IRS will explain the stimulus payment program. The second notice will confirm the recipients’ eligibility, the payment amount and the approximate time table for the payment. Taxpayers will need to save this notice to assist them when they prepare their 2008 tax return next year.

Anyone who moves after they have filed their 2007 tax return should notify the IRS by filing Form 8822, Change of Address, and also notify the Post Office.

Shancopp
02-27-2008, 06:57 AM

We DONT get EIC. We have two kids. I sure as heck wish I did. I never get those big fat refunds some get. WHAT DOES SUCK is moms who don't work, pop out 4 or 5 or more kids and then get 6000 back at tax time. So, I think us working parents DESERVE a paltry $300 per kid!

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
WHAT DOES SUCK is moms who don't work, pop out 4 or 5 or more kids and then get 6000 back at tax time.

someone must be working if they get something back or do they just get a refund anyway?

dangerousfem
02-27-2008, 07:04 AM

People on Social Security will be getting it.. but you don't have to file a tax return if you are only on SS.. so that is the reason for my question... and I for one am thankful for the $300 for the kids.

Willow
02-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I think it said that in order to receive the stimulus you must file even if it's not something you normally do. Also for the EIC the child has to be under the age of 17 in order to qualify. I was looking at the f&q section and someone had asked if their child who turned 17 in December of 2007 would qualify and they said no.

Jenefer3
02-27-2008, 07:34 AM
This is from the IRS website http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

Normally, certain Social Security, Railroad Retirement benefits and certain veterans’ payments are not subject to income tax. However, the economic stimulus law passed in February contains a special provision allowing Social Security recipients and recipients of certain veterans’ benefits and certain Railroad Retirement benefits to count those benefits toward the qualifying income requirement of $3,000 and thereby qualify for the stimulus payment.
Social Security benefits reported on the 2007 Form 1099-SSA, which people would have received in January 2008. People who do not have a Form 1099 may estimate their annual Social Security benefit by taking their monthly benefit, multiplying it by the number of months during the year they received the benefits, and entering the number on Line 20a of Form 1040 or Line 14a of the Form 1040A. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.

Hope that helps

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM
This is from the IRS website http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html
Many people who receive Social Security benefits are not required to file a tax return. But they need to this year to get the stimulus payment. Many can use the simpler Form 1040A. See how to fill it out in this example.

Many veterans who receive benefits from Veterans Affairs are not required to file a tax return. But they need to this year to get the stimulus payment. Many can use the simpler Form 1040A. See how to fill it out in this example.

Hope that helps someone

thank you so much this migh help my mom

jayhawkfan
02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
We DONT get EIC. We have two kids. I sure as heck wish I did. I never get those big fat refunds some get. WHAT DOES SUCK is moms who don't work, pop out 4 or 5 or more kids and then get 6000 back at tax time. So, I think us working parents DESERVE a paltry $300 per kid!

Uhm. We have 3 kids and 1 one the way. I DONT work outside the home, but I sure as hell work my ass off to keep this household running. We do NOT get EIC. I think it SUCKS that you all think that all SAHMs who have 3 or 4 kids dont deserve the same amount of money you hard working moms get.

Shancopp
02-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Uhm. We have 3 kids and 1 one the way. I DONT work outside the home, but I sure as hell work my ass off to keep this household running. We do NOT get EIC. I think it SUCKS that you all think that all SAHMs who have 3 or 4 kids dont deserve the same amount of money you hard working moms get.

I'm a SAHM mom too! I work my arse off (though it ain't getting no smaller!) I KNOW we deserve just as much money. We get no where near those big fat refunds I've heard others talk about. I used to know a gal who had 2 kids, on welfare, didn't work steadily and would get 5000 or so (this was 10-15 yrs ago). HELL...she didnt' even EARN 5000 from her odd jobs all year? How can you GET BACK MORE THAN YOU PAY IN? I know you can, just doesn't seem fair to me.

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
so for someone like my mom who normally doesnt file because she gets SS she needs to file federal form 1040A so when she does that she also needs to file with the state as well?

Jenefer3
02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
so for someone like my mom who normally doesnt file because she gets SS she needs to file federal form 1040A so when she does that she also needs to file with the state as well?

Yes, she needs to file the 1040A to get the stimulus payment..but I'm not sure about state filing. Just make sure she doesn't e-file...they said somewhere on that site that if you're filing just for the stimulus, you cannot electronically file to qualify for the stimulus. http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

this link will show how she should fill out the 1040A - only the parts in white need to be filled out and the words stimulus payment written across the top
http://www.irs.gov/pub/newsroom/1040a.pdf

jonette5
02-27-2008, 08:54 AM
You want to know what is unfair about this "refund"? I don't get any extra for my kids cuz they are over 17, yet they both are in college, work part time and had to file taxes. I still support them, yet I nor they get any refund for them cuz they can be claimed as dependants on my return but are over 17. This is leaving out all the 18 to 20 something kids that are in college. I think that sucks! College kids really need the extra money and families trying to pay for college need it!

hunny
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Do you still get this if you dont qualify for the EIC??

Shancopp
02-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Do you still get this if you dont qualify for the EIC??

FROM AN ARTICLE:

"The vast majority of taxpayers would receive tax rebates, totaling $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples, plus another $300 for each child, with no limit on the number of children. Those earning under $75,000 ($150,000 for couples) would receive the full rebates. Rebates would gradually phase out for those earning more than these income limits."

I hear ya about the college kids. My BFF has one in college and besides tuition and books, there is still all the other expenses (food, gas to get to and fro, etc).

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes, she needs to file the 1040A to get the stimulus payment..but I'm not sure about state filing. Just make sure she doesn't e-file...they said somewhere on that site that if you're filing just for the stimulus, you cannot electronically file to qualify for the stimulus. http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

this link will show how she should fill out the 1040A - only the parts in white need to be filled out and the words stimulus payment written across the top
http://www.irs.gov/pub/newsroom/1040a.pdf

thanx got one all printed out for her now I just gotta find out about the state part

sandooch
02-27-2008, 09:41 AM
You want to know what is unfair about this "refund"? I don't get any extra for my kids cuz they are over 17, yet they both are in college, work part time and had to file taxes. I still support them, yet I nor they get any refund for them cuz they can be claimed as dependants on my return but are over 17. This is leaving out all the 18 to 20 something kids that are in college. I think that sucks! College kids really need the extra money and families trying to pay for college need it!

Oh boy! I didn't realize that the cut off age was 17. I guess I should have since we couldn't collect the child tax credit on our 17-year-old this year. Boy that stinks!

sandooch
02-27-2008, 09:43 AM
And can someone confirm this for me...Is it true that if you are a SAHM you are not entitled to $600, only the working spouse is, or do you each get $600? I've been hearing different versions of this.

evrita
02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey I am a working mom and I still dont get EIC so dont preach to this person about whats fair and whats not.

tigger4
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
We don't get the EIC either.

We do get the child tax credit, which is what makes you eligible for the extra $300 per kid on this rebate thing.

Crick
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM

What also sucks is people like myself who are single and/or choose not to have children but we cannot file head of household because we don't have any dependants living in the home or supporting. I work, pay my mortgage, pay all my bills and keep up my household but simply because I choose to be single and not have children/dependants then I don't get as large a deduction. I've complained about that for years but of course it falls on deaf ears because the IRS could care less that they are discriminating.

peanut92973
02-27-2008, 10:51 AM
i just went to the irs website and it does say the checks will start being mailed out in may. they didn't say anything about the last two digits of soc.

peanut92973
02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
i'm a single mom of two and what the irs website said is i'll get 300 for me and 300 for each of the kids

PrincessArky
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
got my moms all filled out and ready to mail out.......that $300 sure will help her out....she missed out on the 2001 deal

I know that everyone has different opinions on the IRS, taxes, and the rebate thing but I gotta wonder who ever told anyone life was fair??? I can tell ya one thing if life were fair I would be much better off than I am today but life isnt fair a lesson I learned early on. There are many ppl who have it much better in life than I do but I also know there are many that have it worse and I am just thankful for what I do have :)

Jenefer3
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I know that everyone has different opinions on the IRS, taxes, and the rebate thing but I gotta wonder who ever told anyone life was fair??? I can tell ya one thing if life were fair I would be much better off than I am today but life isnt fair a lesson I learned early on. There are many ppl who have it much better in life than I do but I also know there are many that have it worse and I am just thankful for what I do have :)

I completely agree with you. I always say that to my friends and kids..we may have it rough but there are people out there who have it way worse than we do and just because someone has more money or possessions or their life seems better than ours, doesn't mean that they are happy or truly loved.

tracey74
02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I called H&R block and the woman told me anyone that gets disability is eligible for this refund. so Im going in tomorrow to see if I can get it. Im disabled and dont get the EIC and I have 2 kids. I cannot work so that sucks too which I could. so I'll let ya know what I find out tomorrow

tngirl
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I have NEVER agreed with the EIC. Everyone wants to cry about our country's deficit, well where do you think that money comes from?

As for you stay at home moms, well that was a choice that you and your spouses made, why should the rest of the country pay you for staying home? I was a working mother and single for the most of it so I would say that I worked just a bit harder than you SAHM's and it really irks me when you cry about how hard you work. Us working mother's work harder because we have to be the bread provider and the mom.

babydoll_jen
02-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I have NEVER agreed with the EIC. Everyone wants to cry about our country's deficit, well where do you think that money comes from?

As for you stay at home moms, well that was a choice that you and your spouses made, why should the rest of the country pay you for staying home? I was a working mother and single for the most of it so I would say that I worked just a bit harder than you SAHM's and it really irks me when you cry about how hard you work. Us working mother's work harder because we have to be the bread provider and the mom.

I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes:

It was also your choice to be a single, working mother. I don't agree with a lot of things in this country, but guess what? And there are plenty more reasons why this country is in debt. I, for one, believe if there was a better job economy, there would be a lot more mothers working. I would love to go back to work, to get out of my house more than once a week, but let's face it, I can make more money at home selling things and what not.

I appluad you for going out and doing what you did for you and your kids. I'm sure if I was in that situation, I would do the same thing, but just because some of us aren't in that situation, don't BLAME it on us. I would also make sure their father PAID for them.

So, just because we are SAHM's, does not mean we don't work hard. Just think of all those single women who have severely disabled children and no one else to count on to help them. Sometimes, they cannot go out and work because it MAY mean their child's life. UGGGHHH:soapbox

Shancopp
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I've been a working mom, a work at home mom and a SAHM and they all have their good and bad sides. You choose a path in life and should make the best of it.

tngirl
02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes:

It was also your choice to be a single, working mother. I don't agree with a lot of things in this country, but guess what? And there are plenty more reasons why this country is in debt. I, for one, believe if there was a better job economy, there would be a lot more mothers working. I would love to go back to work, to get out of my house more than once a week, but let's face it, I can make more money at home selling things and what not.

I appluad you for going out and doing what you did for you and your kids. I'm sure if I was in that situation, I would do the same thing, but just because some of us aren't in that situation, don't BLAME it on us. I would also make sure their father PAID for them.

So, just because we are SAHM's, does not mean we don't work hard. Just think of all those single women who have severely disabled children and no one else to count on to help them. Sometimes, they cannot go out and work because it MAY mean their child's life. UGGGHHH:soapbox
No, it was NOT my choice to be a single working mother...had something to do with an abusive husband and all that. And as a single mother I had to deal with a child with cancer and another with an array of medical issues along with my own. And I did not say that SAHM's don't work, I just said that working mothers work harder because we had/have the outside job and still had to come home and do all the things that SAHM's have all day to do.

Well, I guess I did have a choice of being a working mother...the choice to let my kids do without or to go out and work to provide them with a roof, clothes and food.

Bliss
02-27-2008, 09:57 PM

What???? SAHM's want to be paid for staying home? Hahahaha!

No one pays me to be a single mother....How unfair...:lol

tngirl
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
What???? SAHM's want to be paid for staying home? Hahahaha!

No one pays me to be a single mother....How unfair...:lol
But Bliss, it was your choice to be a single mother!!:tomato:

chazsgirl
02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I had an issue with my husband being a stay at home dad and felt that he didn't work at all and it didn't take alot to stay at home all day and watch 2 kids but now that I am home I see it is alittle tough on occation but I do agree with it being equally as tough to work outside the home and then come home to "what's for dinner". That was me, 10hrs. of work and then dinner, feeding the kids, and then cleaning up, folding clothes. It is tough. It's a hard point to make but NO ONE SHOULD EVER SAY IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO BE A SINGLE MOM. Who chooses that. If I had guts I would be a single mom, but I have no guts, no job, no life, no license and no $$. Not by choice! Sometimes things happen that are beyond your powers to control!

Bliss
02-28-2008, 12:21 AM
But Bliss, it was your choice to be a single mother!!:tomato:

I was :drunk & passed out.... Someone made it their duty to .... You can figure out the rest. :mssmack ... I damn sure never wanted a child.

babydoll_jen
02-28-2008, 05:46 AM
I had an issue with my husband being a stay at home dad and felt that he didn't work at all and it didn't take alot to stay at home all day and watch 2 kids but now that I am home I see it is alittle tough on occation but I do agree with it being equally as tough to work outside the home and then come home to "what's for dinner". That was me, 10hrs. of work and then dinner, feeding the kids, and then cleaning up, folding clothes. It is tough. It's a hard point to make but NO ONE SHOULD EVER SAY IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO BE A SINGLE MOM. Who chooses that. If I had guts I would be a single mom, but I have no guts, no job, no life, no license and no $$. Not by choice! Sometimes things happen that are beyond your powers to control!

There are a lot of women who CHOOSE to be a single mother. Look at all of the women who are unmarried and go to a sperm bank. They either can't find the right man or they do not want the drama of a relationship (abusive husband, divorce or whatever it may be) it was their CHOICE. So, yes, there are a lot of women who choose to be single mothers. It's the path in life that they chose, so they are going to have to follow that path.

And as far as the EIC goes, the way I understand it is if you are single and have children, you can claim head of household and qualify for the EIC. Unless you make A LOT of money, you should qualify for it.

PrincessArky
02-28-2008, 06:13 AM
wow I think it is really sad when sahm and working moms turn on each other :( I have personally been both

When I was a single mom with 2 kids I was taking 18 college hours during the day working about 35 hours at the college (that was the max I was allowed) at night. I was in the middle of my divorce and I lost everything except for 2 kid, 1 unpaid car, and $20k worth of debt that my ex walked out on. Yep it was hard no doubt about that and at the time I did get the EIC and boy was I thankful seeing as $9k of that debt was for a loan to pay off my son's medical bills

As for being a SAHM well that has gotten old to be perfectly honest. I have been here for about 4 yrs now, well other than that part time job that I had at the WIC store for a few months then they closed up. The hours I worked there my hubby was able to be home with the kids most of the time other than that my mom watched them 1 hr everyday which btw I paid her for so I was making a whole $75 a week minus gas of about $30 a week and was proud of it. I have been on the waiting list at the only day cares around since the end of that job in Dec 2005 and guess what???? They still dont have an opening for my kids. When they do I am looking at about $250 a week for a sitter. jobs at the plants here (assuming they have any openings) are about $7.25 an hour so that puts me up to $290 a week minus $250 for a sitter so I am down to $40 a week but I still havent bought gas yet or deducted taxes out of the check.....so then I am basically back to $0 or should I say below and heaven forbid I miss a day of work thats another $58 for one missed day and ALL of the day care's charge you even if your child isnt there that day so you can see the long version of why I am home

I honestly dont think one mother is better than the other when it comes to being married, single, working outside the home or not the truth is one you have children in your lives no matter what path you take your life is more complicated than you ever had before but at the same time much more rewarding.

dangerousfem
02-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Well said!

This thread isn't about all of this junk anyway.. its about rebates and their dates... But for a last comment on EIC.. We as a working family qualify for it.. and it is a big help. If you don't agree with it.. don't file for it.. that is your right. But you don't jump on those who do, or insult them for having a different opinion. No one really knows the struggles another person goes thru.

wow I think it is really sad when sahm and working moms turn on each other :( I have personally been both

When I was a single mom with 2 kids I was taking 18 college hours during the day working about 35 hours at the college (that was the max I was allowed) at night. I was in the middle of my divorce and I lost everything except for 2 kid, 1 unpaid car, and $20k worth of debt that my ex walked out on. Yep it was hard no doubt about that and at the time I did get the EIC and boy was I thankful seeing as $9k of that debt was for a loan to pay off my son's medical bills

As for being a SAHM well that has gotten old to be perfectly honest. I have been here for about 4 yrs now, well other than that part time job that I had at the WIC store for a few months then they closed up. The hours I worked there my hubby was able to be home with the kids most of the time other than that my mom watched them 1 hr everyday which btw I paid her for so I was making a whole $75 a week minus gas of about $30 a week and was proud of it. I have been on the waiting list at the only day cares around since the end of that job in Dec 2005 and guess what???? They still dont have an opening for my kids. When they do I am looking at about $250 a week for a sitter. jobs at the plants here (assuming they have any openings) are about $7.25 an hour so that puts me up to $290 a week minus $250 for a sitter so I am down to $40 a week but I still havent bought gas yet or deducted taxes out of the check.....so then I am basically back to $0 or should I say below and heaven forbid I miss a day of work thats another $58 for one missed day and ALL of the day care's charge you even if your child isnt there that day so you can see the long version of why I am home

I honestly dont think one mother is better than the other when it comes to being married, single, working outside the home or not the truth is one you have children in your lives no matter what path you take your life is more complicated than you ever had before but at the same time much more rewarding.

Unicornmom77
02-28-2008, 06:40 AM
No, it was NOT my choice to be a single working mother...

I know this is not what this thread is about so for that... Sorry!

But YES YOU DID CHOOSE!! It was your choice to have the relationship and then a child. How could you say it wasn't your choice? Immaculate conception???

I see both sides of the fence, I have been on both sides. But I am not going to refuse money from the government just becuase I wasn't working. Those programs are in place for a reason.

sandooch
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Very well said!

And as for working-outside-the-home moms working a bit harder than SAHM, I find that to be complete bull. I've also been on both sides of the fence, and I can honestly say that working outside the home was not as physically and emotionally exhusting as being a full-time SAHM. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I'm sure there are a lot of women out there that would agree with me.

LuvBigRip
02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/28/news/economy/rebate_letters.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

sandooch
02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info, Luv. Too bad they didn't give us a date on when we can expect the refund. Some say May and some say June. I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas. lol

Shancopp
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok...not sure if it got answered in this thread...are sahm who had no income though we filed married/joint) getting $600? Or does DH just get $600?

magenta
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info, Luv. Too bad they didn't give us a date on when we can expect the refund. Some say May and some say June. I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas. lol

Bush said today in his press conference that the letter would go out explaining it all the first week of May then checks would start going out the second week of May.

I *think* it was the irs website I read basically said the sooner you file 2007 taxes the sooner you get you check.

sandooch
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Bush said today in his press conference that the letter would go out explaining it all the first week of May then checks would start going out the second week of May.

I *think* it was the irs website I read basically said the sooner you file 2007 taxes the sooner you get you check.

Cool! Thanks Magenta!!!

tngirl
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
But YES YOU DID CHOOSE!! It was your choice to have the relationship and then a child. How could you say it wasn't your choice? Immaculate conception???
Let me see, my choice? Hmmm, don't know about you guys but when I got married I believed I was marrying for life and would have a loving husband by my side to help raise our family. So, no, it still was NOT a choice to be a single mother unless you count the choice of not giving my children up for adoption or something.

Well said!
But you don't jump on those who do, or insult them for having a different opinion. No one really knows the struggles another person goes thru.
I was not "jumping" on anyone, just stating a matter of opinion.

tarbabie
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM

That would be nice if it's true!

dangerousfem
02-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Very well said!

And as for working-outside-the-home moms working a bit harder than SAHM, I find that to be complete bull. I've also been on both sides of the fence, and I can honestly say that working outside the home was not as physically and emotionally exhusting as being a full-time SAHM. Of course, that is just my opinion, but I'm sure there are a lot of women out there that would agree with me.I agree.. I have done both... and at least working outside the home you can interact with other adults...sometimes the most frustrating part of SAHM is the isolation you face everyday

Ok...not sure if it got answered in this thread...are sahm who had no income though we filed married/joint) getting $600? Or does DH just get $600?
I was wondering that too.

I hope thats true.. that would be awesome!

Kimberly61
02-28-2008, 08:51 PM
this is a bit of what I read on yahoo news:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Don't be alarmed. More than 130 million households will get letters from the Internal Revenue Service beginning next week and the news is good.
The letters are part of an effort to ensure people do not miss out if they are eligible for a tax rebate check under the recently passed $168 billion economic aide plan.
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said his department and the IRS would work hard to get the word out. "For the majority of Americans, all they will need to do is file a tax return," Paulson said in a statement.

He said the IRS would work with the Veterans Affairs Department, the Social Security Administration and private groups such as AARP to "reach those who do not normally file a return and ensure they know how to get their stimulus payment this year."
The letters carry the headline "Economic Stimulus Payment Notice" and begin "Dear Taxpayer." They say the IRS is pleased to inform the recipient that Congress passed and President Bush signed into law a plan that will provide payments to more than 130 million households.
Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said the IRS should focus "its time, energy and money" figuring out how to speed up the mailing of the checks. They are scheduled to go out starting in May.
The mailing that people will get next week tells them they may qualify for a one-time payment of up to $600 for individuals or $1,200 for a married couple filing jointly; there are additional payments of $300 for each qualifying child younger than 17.
"The IRS will figure eligibility, figure the amount and send the payment," the letter says. "This payment should not be confused with any 2007 income tax refund that is owed to you by the federal government."
The 2007 refunds will be made separately from the upcoming payments, the IRS says.
The IRS notices do not seek any financial information and will go to people who filed a tax return last year.
A separate mailing planned by the IRS for late March will go to certain recipients of Social Security and VA benefits. These benefits are generally nontaxable and recipients do not file tax returns.
In order to get a payment, people in this group will need to file a tax return if they received at least $3,000 from a combination of certain Social Security benefits, veterans benefits and earned income. The minimum payment for this group will be $300 for an individual and $600 for a couple filing jointly. The IRS has created a sample Form 1040A with information on how to fill out the lines necessary to enable eligible people who do not normally file a tax return to receive the stimulus payment. Details on eligibility, payment amounts and requirements can be found at http://www.irs.gov (http://www.irs.gov/) which is the agency's Web site.

it says married couples filing jointly get $1200.00 this time......other times I have read that working couples filing jointly get the money.....I for one dont work a real job, I clean house for a friend of the family 3 days a week and I dont claim that money so I am hoping that its true that both dont have to be working because it would be nice to get the $1200 instead of 600 but my question is: Will that money go to back child support or will they actually send it to you instead?

tracey74
02-28-2008, 10:04 PM
you only get $1200 if you are married and have kids. my hubbies uncle filed and his kids are grown and just for him he is only getting $300 I dont know why he didnt file jointly with his wife. its suppose to be $300 per single person and $300 for each kid and $600 for a married couple and $300 per child(i think the max you can get is $1200.) as for child support I dont know you will have to ask them at the tax office.also a friend of mine told me that if you make long distance calls also let them know that as well and they are suppose to give you some kind of credit. not sure if it will work with this stimulus payment or not but Im going to find out i didnt go today because i didnt feel too hot today but plan on going monday

sandooch
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
my question is: Will that money go to back child support or will they actually send it to you instead?

I'd like to know that, too. Even if I received both my ex's tax refund and stimulus rebate, he would still be way behind on his child support arrears, but he'd be almost half-way to paying that back child support. You'd think he'd actually want to because of all the interest adding up to those arrears.

PrincessArky
02-29-2008, 05:05 AM
I agree.. I have done both... and at least working outside the home you can interact with other adults...sometimes the most frustrating part of SAHM is the isolation you face everyday

I know it is for me :(

cabby92
02-29-2008, 06:17 AM
you only get $1200 if you are married and have kids. my hubbies uncle filed and his kids are grown and just for him he is only getting $300 I dont know why he didnt file jointly with his wife. its suppose to be $300 per single person and $300 for each kid and $600 for a married couple and $300 per child(i think the max you can get is $1200.) as for child support I dont know you will have to ask them at the tax office.also a friend of mine told me that if you make long distance calls also let them know that as well and they are suppose to give you some kind of credit. not sure if it will work with this stimulus payment or not but Im going to find out i didnt go today because i didnt feel too hot today but plan on going monday

That is incorrect. The amount for a working adult is the lower of $600.00 OR the amount of your tax liability (NOT what you owed but the tax liability based on your taxable income). For a single person if your tax liability was only $325.00 then that will be your check. If your tax liability was $1,425 your check will be $600. The maximum will also be phased out for taxpayers with AGI's over $75,000 (single) or $150,000 (joint).

If you really want the true info go to www.irs.gov and type in "economic stimulus" in the search box. It will take you to different types of filing statuses and you can view real life scenarios.

cabby92
02-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I'd like to know that, too. Even if I received both my ex's tax refund and stimulus rebate, he would still be way behind on his child support arrears, but he'd be almost half-way to paying that back child support. You'd think he'd actually want to because of all the interest adding up to those arrears.

From the IRS:

Q. I'm eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?

A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support. If this occurs, you will receive a letter explaining how the stimulus payment was applied.

hunny
02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I heard on the News last night that the IRS is going to send out the letters next week.

cinnamonch
02-29-2008, 08:51 AM
As a person who prepares taxes for a Community based project, hopefully the information below will clarify some of the issues/questions you all have raised.

1) EIC is given to low income people who WORK not for those who just receive welfare. You can only get EIC for up to 2 children so if you know people who have more than that, they are not getting any additional EIC for them. The amount of EIC you get is based on how much you earn and it is a sliding scale. This is not just for single parents. Single people can qualify as well as married people. Again it's based on how much you make.

2) Age 17 cutoff. This is not true for EIC. You can get EIC for your children as long as they are under the age of 24 and are either in college or disabled. If you have children in college and they/you are paying for books, tuition, etc, these costs can be deducted from your tax return.

You loose the child tax care credit once your child turns 17. This is an additional tax credit given based on income and can be up to $1K per child. This may be why a number of your friends/family/acquaintenances get a lot of money.

3) Head of Household. The only people eligible are single parents with kids. Just because you are married and one of you doesn't work, you aren't their dependant. Only children are.

Tax Stimulas Check

A) Not everyone who files taxes will receive a refund. You have have earned at least $3K and have a tax liability(ie, you have to have owed at least $1 in taxes even if you got a refund). This means a number of those people who got the big checks, if you look at their return, they didnt owe any money and therefore wont be getting this one.

If you receive SSI you arent eligible as this time of government assistance you did not earn.

B) Even if you receive SS, Railroad retirement, Veterens Benefits, you must file taxes. If you don't know how to do that, contact your local United Way Agency or Library and they should be able to tell you who can help get this done. You will need to mail the return to the IRS. Make sure you write across the top of the return "Stimulas Payment" as well as on the envelope.

You do not have to file a state tax return unless your state gives some sort of tax rebate. In Oklahoma, people can qualify for a $40/person sales tax rebate but you have to request it. Likewise in KS, there is a food tax rebate as well so check with your local state.

C) Depending on how you had your initial refund sent to you that is how this check will come. They are encouraging everyone that can to have direct deposit. Otherwise it will come in the mail and if you have move between now and the time the check is sent, it will not be forwarded and you can be delayed for quite a while.

dangerousfem
02-29-2008, 10:00 AM
A) Not everyone who files taxes will receive a refund. You have have earned at least $3K and have a tax liability(ie, you have to have owed at least $1 in taxes even if you got a refund). This means a number of those people who got the big checks, if you look at their return, they didnt owe any money and therefore wont be getting this one.

this part is incorrect... as long as you earned at least $3000, your tax liability can be $0 and you will still receive the rebate.. but you will only receive $300 instead of the $600.

sandooch
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
From the IRS:

Q. I'm eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?

A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support. If this occurs, you will receive a letter explaining how the stimulus payment was applied.

Yes! Thank you for that information. Although, I don't expect much from my ex's refund or rebate given the fact that he only worked about 4 months last year.

ilikefree
02-29-2008, 11:50 AM

That's what I've been wondering too. I am a substitute lunch lady in the school cafeteria and didn't make anywhere near $3000 last year (that's the only income I had) but dh and I file jointly.

cabby92
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
That's what I've been wondering too. I am a substitute lunch lady in the school cafeteria and didn't make anywhere near $3000 last year (that's the only income I had) but dh and I file jointly.

You are a joint unit and it's based on your income and tax liability. If you qualify financially you both get $600.00 plus $300.00 for eligible dependents. Here's an example:

Married couple with two children, AGI is $35,000, federal income tax liability before child tax credit is $1,070.
Rebate is $1,070
Qualifying child credit is $600
TOTAL is $1,670

aprilblues
02-29-2008, 02:07 PM

The statement "Mom's don't work" doesn't make any sense. Just because a mom doesn't work outside of the home doesn't mean she doesn't work. We work hard! Even if I didn't work hard, my dh busts his a@@ working. So what we get 6 grand in EIC. You would like it too if you did!

Shancopp
02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
The statement "Mom's don't work" doesn't make any sense. Just because a mom doesn't work outside of the home doesn't mean she doesn't work. We work hard! Even if I didn't work hard, my dh busts his a@@ working. So what we get 6 grand in EIC. You would like it too if you did!

Well no sh!t....I'm a SAHM myself. I know how hard I work. I've been a working mom too, and a work at home mom. I know very well how much work it is. And my DH busts his arse too at his job and for the military.

You know when you read that, I was saying moms who don't work outside the house. :stir

But glad to see you joined BBS..........welcome

Vee030473
02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Married couple with two children, AGI is $80,000, federal income tax liability before child tax credit exceeds $1,200.
Rebate is $1,200
Qualifying child credit is $600
TOTAL is $1,800

Good dealio!!! There are more scenarios like the one above at the IRS website!

tracey74
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
ok found out today the only way you can get them while being on disability is if you worked so long and then became disabled. so if you have never worked or havent put in enough"quarters" youre not eligible.