PDA

View Full Version : Cop beats the crap out of tiny handcuffed woman?

Kyla Kym
02-20-2008, 02:51 AM
I just heard about this. The video isn't wanting to load right for me. I'm seeing it all choppy. From what I can tell the woman has been in a car wreck. But doesn't appear to be hurt other than a small cut on her lip. The officer doesn't want to let her make a phone call and she is insisting. He handcuffs her and pushes her around. Then I see her in a huge pool of blood on the floor??? And they leave her there for a long time laying on her back in the floor still handcuffed with blood everywhere.

WTH? She doesn't appear to weigh 100 pounds soaking wet, and she is handcuffed. She isn't trying to kick, bite or hurt him. So why did he have to be so rough with her? I've been hurt before, but never hurt so bad that I left a large pool of blood on the ground. Can anyone see the video clearly enough to see what he does to her? It just wouldn't load right for me.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Complete-video-of-episode-where-woman-injured-in-Shreveport-police-custody-8921/#

myspirit
02-20-2008, 03:41 AM
As far as I could see, the cop didn't beat her. She came in w/ a bloody nose (hence all of the blood) and wouldn't shut up or cooperate. Seems like the cop was just trying to do his job. She (in my opinion) made things worse. I bet she was on Meth. Poor Tweeker!

myspirit
02-20-2008, 03:51 AM
She even was combasive with the people trying to help her. They had more patience with her than I would have had. I would've duct taped her mouth. She will try to sue, I'm sure. But the video doesn't lie! I repeat, he didn't beat her. She was throwing herself against the walls, etc.

Kyla Kym
02-20-2008, 04:03 AM
As far as I could see, the cop didn't beat her. She came in w/ a bloody nose (hence all of the blood) and wouldn't shut up or cooperate. Seems like the cop was just trying to do his job. She (in my opinion) made things worse. I bet she was on Meth. Poor Tweeker!

She even was combasive with the people trying to help her. They had more patience with her than I would have had. I would've duct taped her mouth. She will try to sue, I'm sure. But the video doesn't lie! I repeat, he didn't beat her. She was throwing herself against the walls, etc.

Really? Thanks for clearing that up for me. Because my Mcafee's is running a scan and won't stop right now and the video was jumping and skipping around something awful while I was trying to watch it.

The officer was fired though. Seems like he had a long record of being to forceful, so that's why I thought he was probably being rough with her as well.

Quaker_Parrots
02-20-2008, 04:09 AM
She had a nose bleed when she came in, but it looked like it had stopped. He wouldnt let her make a phone call. To me there appears to be a portion of the tape missing, because she is sitting in the chair(on the close up) and he gets in front of the camera and you cant see anything but his shirt, then he pans out and she is on the floor. It appears that the film had stopped at this point.

ma4angels
02-20-2008, 04:36 AM
I realize this women was brought in for a wreck and fleeing the scene. She should have to pay for her crimes. But I agree with Quaker Parrots. It looked like she stopped bleeding. If she was still bleeding like it was showing in the floor you would have seen it in the video. Yes I agree that she was not listening but she was also being denied her rights to a phone call. I would probably be hysterical if I couldn't call my DH. I am not defending this woman's action but I do not agree with the police officers actions either. He probably throw her in the floor when the tape stopped because you can tell it did. You couldn't hear her talking when it did. He would have had to push pretty hard for to be bleeding that bad. That woman was coughing up blood. And all he kept saying to her is you can't make a call right now. WTH. She is bleeding really bad and he isn't doing anything to help but just walking around like an idiot. The man should get fired. There is to much crap that they get away with that you really don't see just because they are officers of the law. Well they are not above the law. Case in point look at the man in the wheelchair. Both these people were at fault.

myspirit
02-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Notice when she is first there, that she keeps her hand up by her nose. Nosebleed?

iluvmybaby
02-20-2008, 06:07 AM
I think that the tape should have NEVER been turned off, it is for the protection of the ppl that have been arrested, and protection for the police officers. I hope she is OK

Njean31
02-20-2008, 06:52 AM
it's hard to get black eyes by throwing your self into walls. you might fracture bony prominences, your forehead, nose, or cheeks but 2 black eyes and getting your teeth knocked out are pretty hard to do to yourself. he prob did it, she was being an uncooperative drunken ***** and he taught her a lesson. too bad though, she'll be rich and he will unemployed.

here's a link with another video but beware, the site has sleezy ads on it and cuss words. http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1203391347/Cop_Fired_After_a_Suspect_Ends_Up_in_a_Pool_of_Blo od

dangerousfem
02-20-2008, 07:13 AM
oh my.. did you see her face?

Yes she was being stupid.. was probably drunk or drugged up.. but she still didn't deserve that.

galeane29
02-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Whoa! I have only watched half of the video so far and I can already
see that she did NOT have a nose bleed when she came in ,she had
a busted lip. When she first comes in the room she is holding a tissue
or something to her mouth and as the video is rolling and she is
getting upset you never see her bleeding.
AND why the h e l l is that idiot reading her whatever it is that he is
reading knowing good and well she is not hearing him yet he keeps
on going like a moron.
He did at one point tell her she could not make a call because
there are rules to follow but what I dont understand is why he keeps
reading that damned paper instead of trying to talk to her and
reassure her.
Gonna go watch the rest of the vid now.

iluvmybaby
02-20-2008, 07:57 AM
OMG that is SICKENING, did you see the picture at the end of her? he SO beat the crap outta here:thumpdown:

galeane29
02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
She doesnt look stoned or on drugs to me, she seems pretty upset though.
I also want to know why nobody else comes in the room.
She says she is a court reporter and knows "people".

Oh and it is totaly obvious that video was turned off , he did
something to her.
She askes the other cop, " did you see what he did?" he says
"I have not seen the film yet". She said the officer beat the
sh it out of her, he threw her up against the wall and then on
the floor.

OMG I would be just as upset as she is.

galeane29
02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
OMG that is SICKENING, did you see the picture at the end of her? he SO beat the crap outta here:thumpdown:

He definately did something to her.

galeane29
02-20-2008, 08:16 AM

Where on that video did it show her throwing herself against the wall?
The video was turned off when she was on the chair then when it came
back on she was on the floor.

ladybugva
02-20-2008, 08:32 AM
she was on Good Morning america this morning w/ her lawyer. The cop has been fired. She was brought in for a DUI and kept asking for her phone call. Cop said no. I think he was trying to read her her rights. (what was on the paper)

He pushed her into a wall a few times and to me It's obvious that he did something. Being a male in a room alone w/ a female who was combative I would thing if he was following procedure he would want the camera on the whole time. At one point when he is looking at her on the ground in a pool of blood he kept looking at his hands. Like he possibly was looking for blood. He claims she tried to get out and fell on the file cabinet and got a gash. I don't think that is what happened at all. She may have been drunk but was not stumbling around enough to fall on a cabinet and end up looking like she did in that last picture.

BTW she was never officially booked and arrested .

galeane29
02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
The fired officer, Wiley Willis, has been accused in the past of using excessive force during his nearly four years on the police force, sources and court documents indicate:

When he was a rookie, he was suspended for hitting a man in the head with his gun. The police chief concluded he should have holstered the gun and used less potentially dangerous equipment such as a taser or a baton.

Willis was exonerated of wrongdoing last year in an incident in which a man in his custody suffered a broken arm. The man was handcuffed when he fell in the jail, officials said.

A lawsuit filed in 2006 accuses Willis of following a boy riding a scooter home, then using excessive force in taking the boy to his patrol car. Willis and the city deny wrongdoing and the lawsuit is pending in Caddo District Court

BlueBerriTerri
02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
She was obviously distressed when he brought her in, but from everything I see, he was polite, civil, and patient with her. I know she was upset, but her best bet was to calm down and go through the process. I've never been arrested, but you can bet that if I was--even if I had done nothing wrong--I would be upset but have enough sense to keep a level head and follow every reasonable direction given to me.

IF he was doing or was going to do something wrong, I would want to be sure that the camera caught me on my very best behavior and doing nothing to provoke him. Every person that's been arrested has to go through these procedures, and she is no different. I don't care who she is OR who she knows. She is constantly mentioning some apparently high profile people that she wants to call, I guess hoping that he will relent and let her use the phone. I don't see this as being his fault--if she would have shut up and followed directions, she wouldn't have gotten hurt. The officer probably should have had someone else in the room with him, but I watched most of the video and I wanted to smack her.

I am constantly trying to teach my kids how to respond in stressful situations and one of the best lessons that they can learn is how to keep your head, even when others around you are losing theirs. When you are faced with an emergency, you just cannot make smart decisions when you allow your anger or your fear to get the better of you.

starduster31
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I live about 50 miles from where this happened, and they are talking about it on the news right now. The chief of police just said the officer was fired because of this, and there has been an investigation opened. The chief said that what was seen on this tape is " outrageous". If he didn't beat her, why did he turn the tape off?

"if she would have shut up and followed directions, she wouldn't have gotten hurt."

Just because she didn't shut up, it is okay for him to beat her senseless?

Kyla Kym
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Just because she didn't shut up, it is okay for him to beat her senseless?

That's what I was wondering?

I mean sure she is back talking and wont shut up, but she never tries to physically hurt him in any way. I can't help but think about them throwing my mom to the floor at the hospital. My mom is soft hearted and a giving person. But now she has a tumor on her brain and she goes nuts every now and then. Well when she was at the hospital being treated for one of her episodes, she was outside smoking and 2 homeless people told her they where hungry. She didn't have money to give them so she walked into the hospital cafeteria and took 2 plates of food and was walking out with them to give to the hungry homeless people. The cops threw her to the floor and arrested her. My mom is a tiny woman. 5'2 and weights about 115. And she is 62 yrs old. Why did 2 big male young cops feel the need to wrestle my mom to the floor? I wasn't there when it happened. But my cousin saw it. She was cussing them out. But that was because she has a illness.

Anyway it looks like to me they would have some means of restraining them like in a cell or chain them to a wall until they become cooperative with the officers. I just can't see beating the tar out of someone tiny woman that is handcuffed and not fighting back. She is just mouthing off. It's a wonder she didn't die with that much blood spilled.

janelle
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4309643&page=1

Her she is on Good Morning America. She isn't very old.

BlueBerriTerri
02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Actually, yes--if she had shut up and followed directions, she probably wouldn't be hurt. I did not intend to give the impression that I thought it was okay for him to beat her. It was in NO way appropriate for him to hurt her in any way. Turning off the camera was suspect as hell, and according to his history of violence, firing him was more than likely overdue. I don't know what happened in that time period while the camera was off. That aside, I was referring to her behavior and his while the camera was on. Losing her calm and refusing to follow directions was not a smart move, PERIOD. She could well have lost more than blood.

You cannot predict what people will do sometimes, and by creating an even more stressful situation with a possibly unbalanced person, she was likely putting her very life at risk. I might have every God given right to yell and threaten someone in a situation, but if they pull out a gun and shoot me dead, well that wasn't very smart of me, was it? I am probably less a fan of the police than most, but I do respect and recognize their authority. If I am wrongfully arrested or mistreated, I have enough composure and self control to bide my time and behave in the manner least likely to bring harm to myself.

PrincessArky
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
WOW that was amazing to watch. I have to say though I think she was either drunk, high on drugs, or has some sort of mental problem. She being in the court system for as she said 20 yrs then she knows phone call comes after you are read your rights. Possibly she wanted to phone Judge Clark so that she wasnt officially in trouble. Maybe this wouldn't have been her first time getting away with something. I still would like to know why her blood wasnt tested at the hospital or was it and there was nothing there??? Either way I would NOT have beaten this woman BUT I do NOT know 100% that he did. No that doesnt change the fact that he turned off the tape that along with his record makes him look guilty. Maybe he did beat her??? Maybe she threw herself up against the wall??? I wasn't there so I dont honestly know.

Something must have been going on with her that night because at the start of the tape he said she had been picked up after leaving the scene of NOT 1 BUT 2 accidents.

Hey does anyone know if she had a broken nose from the accident(s) that might explain the nose bled when she came in and if that is the case that alone can cause 2 black eyes (I found that out the hard way lol)

ah I see she did have a broken nose but I wonder if that will prove he beat her up or if she broke it in the accident

Jackie_Blu
02-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for posting the GMA link, Janelle

That's what I was wondering?

I mean sure she is back talking and wont shut up, but she never tries to physically hurt him in any way. I can't help but think about them throwing my mom to the floor at the hospital. My mom is soft hearted and a giving person. But now she has a tumor on her brain and she goes nuts every now and then. Well when she was at the hospital being treated for one of her episodes, she was outside smoking and 2 homeless people told her they where hungry. She didn't have money to give them so she walked into the hospital cafeteria and took 2 plates of food and was walking out with them to give to the hungry homeless people. The cops threw her to the floor and arrested her. My mom is a tiny woman. 5'2 and weights about 115. And she is 62 yrs old. Why did 2 big male young cops feel the need to wrestle my mom to the floor? I wasn't there when it happened. But my cousin saw it. She was cussing them out. But that was because she has a illness.

Anyway it looks like to me they would have some means of restraining them like in a cell or chain them to a wall until they become cooperative with the officers. I just can't see beating the tar out of someone tiny woman that is handcuffed and not fighting back. She is just mouthing off. It's a wonder she didn't die with that much blood spilled.

Honey, I am so very sorry that happened to your Mother. Absolutely no excuse for it.
I agree with your views. Yes the woman was quarrelsome and unruly but she was definitely no match for him physically and I do believe he beat her when the camera was off (its apparent that is WHY he shut the camera off)

justme23
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm watching the video. I'm 18 minute in to it. Far enough to see her laying in the huge pool of blood. No where on this video have I seen a bloody nose. She came in with a busted lip and it was clear it had stopped bleeding when he handcuffed her and she was no longer able to hold the tissue to it. I don't know that it was his intent to beat her. I think the video was turned off because she had been read her rights and refused to blow so he was going to take her back to the general booking area. I think she continued to scream and demand her phone call and the frustration of it all got to him and he did at some point hit her or throw her against something. I also don't think he would have been fired if there weren't so much media coverage. It's clear from past incidents that they never had any intention of firing him.

ahippiechic
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Ok, she had a busted lip when she came in. And she was drunk/high/freaking out. But officers are taught several way to calm people in these kid of situations and he didn't do any of them. And if they get violent, he could have restrained her. And you don't get a black eye from throwing yourself into the wall, maybe a bloody nose or even a bruised cheek, but not a black eye.

iluvmybaby
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
This is wrong on so many levels, everytime I watch it I get more and more angry

Fred12
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
This is wrong on so many levels, everytime I watch it I get more and more angry

I agree and she did NOT have to answer his questions without her attorney present. I hope he gets fired he is a PIG!

Did you also notice, before he threw her into the door he adjusted the camera view to hide the door and you can hear her face smash into the door.

Yes she was running her mouth, but did not deserve that. If she got on his nerves bad enough to make him beat her like he did he should not be a cop. He is a PIG on a power trip.

Here is what he did to her when the camera was off
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/Deb12c/abc_gma_garbarino_sin02_080220_ms.jpg

Willow
02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I only watched bits and pieces of the tape but it's obvious he did this to her. He's been accused of other stuff in the past so I believe he did this to her. I'm glad he got fired. I hate cops that get on a power trip just because they have a little bit of authority.

mom2cvam
02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Every time I see this I keep thinking that if the police had been called to a house because a husband/boyfriend/ whatever did this to a woman because she had mouthed off to him, he would be sitting in jail. What makes it ok for this guy to do the same thing to this woman just because he is an officer? Its ridiculous and I hope it does cost him big time. Whatever she had done to be taken into custody did not justify getting the crap beat out of her.

BlueBerriTerri
02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I think the police are required to read that list of crap when you refuse to take a breathalyzer so that you are "aware of all of your rights". According to some people in Shreveport, she hit some trees and a telephone pole and attempted to leave the scene and was most likely DWI or DUI. Why refuse to take a breathalyzer if you are confident that you won't fail? That is one of the reasons I really can't muster a whole lot of sympathy for her. Those trees and telephone pole might have been someone's loved ones instead. I think that alcohol might have been the reason why she was so combative. He should have handcuffed her to the chair, and had another officer present. If he didn't beat her, he was stupid to let it get as far as it did. In this climate, you always have to CYA.

Apparently it is police procedure to turn off the recorder after a subject has not agreed to be tested. And I do think it is possible that she got a broken nose from falling after she had been handcuffed. Now whether he beat her, or she resisted and fell is up to debate. However, she is resisting all of time the tape is on the first time, so it is logical to assume that she continued to resist after it was off. I'm not defending his "alleged" actions in any way, but I'm definitely not defending hers either. When he brought her in, she was not handcuffed and was only handcuffed after she refused to cooperate and follow procedure. If you fall with your hands behind your back, your face is going to take a hell of a beating. Also, the blood is pooled where she was laying and if he did indeed beat her, I would think that there would be more splatter. If she fell forward and broke her nose and they left her laying there--which was SO not right, then the blood would indeed pool next to her face.

Oh, and if you search the web, you'll find several instances of people who have gotten "raccoon eyes" from a broken nose. This lady also had broken teeth, which are also consistent with a fall on her face.

PrincessArky
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh, and if you search the web, you'll find several instances of people who have gotten "raccoon eyes" from a broken nose. This lady also had broken teeth, which are also consistent with a fall on her face.

thats exactly what I thought about the black eyes because I know mine when that way when my nose was broken.

Hey does anyone know how long the tape was off???

Kyla Kym
02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
They should have procedures to restrain these people until they are cooperative. Also I think there should be another cop in the room.

If she is refusing the breath test, they should have procedures where a emt draws blood while they are strapped down to a gurney.

They strap unruly people down in hospitals, nursing homes, mental hospitals all the time for acting that way. Why not there too? It's for there own protection so things like this don't happen.

There was no reason what so ever that he needed to bang her around like that. She wasn't trying to hurt him. For all he knew at that moment she might have been mentally ill. Or what if the doctor had changed her drugs and it had messed her mind up. Or what if she was a diabetic, they act like that sometimes when they are needing a insulin shot. I've seen my cousin act that say way when she needed her insulin. They get very mean and do crazy stuff even though they appear to be a little tipsy or something. But it's their sugar all out of wack.

I mean I could see him banging around someone that might have been huge and trying to whip his butt. But she was a tiny female that had her hands cuffed behind her back. She wasn't even trying to kick, spit or bite him. Even pepper spray would have been better than slamming her around like that.

We don't know that lady, so it's not like it happened to someone we loved. So it's easier to feel like she got what she deserved for mouthing off at him like that. But just think if that had been your mom, or your sister. How would it have made you feel to find out they had treated your loved one that way?

I still think he was wrong, and should have handled that differently.

PrincessArky
02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
We don't know that lady, so it's not like it happened to someone we loved. So it's easier to feel like she got what she deserved for mouthing off at him like that. But just think if that had been your mom, or your sister. How would it have made you feel to find out they had treated your loved one that way?

I still think he was wrong, and should have handled that differently.

Just dont want ya to have the wrong idea I didn't say he was right or wrong I am just saying that for all I know she could have broken her nose in one of the accidents (hence the broken nose and the blacks eyes) I dont KNOW if he beat her OR if she fell. It concerned me that he turned the tape off but since then I have been told that once they refuse the test then the tape goes off but I am still unclear as to why. Either way whether he hurt this lady or not I dont think he should have been a cop anyway since he has already had what 3 complaints already..........hey Kyla Kym someone told me he used to be a cop in Texarkana before this so I wonder if people around here have any bad stories on this guy too.

Here's a question for ya say whatever her problem medical or self inflicted how would you feel about this lady if she had hit and killed your loved one walking down the street instead of a tree or a pole? And no I don't think you would want her beaten up but just wonder if you would feel as sorry for her if say she killed your loved on and you later found out she was a drunk as a skunk or something

YankeeMary
02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
The sad thing here is that we will never know. We won't know if she was truly drunk, nor will we know if that copper did it to her. Personally IMO he did it. He is a jerk and obviously had some type ego issue going on. Yep she was not being quite and "minding" him, but truly what did she do? She just keep repeating I want to call someone, etc. She didn't go off on him, like I would have. I would have personally attacked his arrogant butt. He was supposively the one in control and I think he failed.
And if she was truly drinking and driving, doesn't matter at this point, thank God she didn't hurt anyone. But no one deserves another person putting their hands on them.

Heidi
02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I didn't read through all the posts, but at the very beginning it said that she had ran into a couple vehicles. Are we sure she didn't injure anyone? Even if she did she didn't deserve to get tossed around. IMO he probably did toss her to the ground and because she already had an injury to her face it just bled out more than it would have if she didn't already have an injury. Sure wish he hadn't shut the camera off, it just make him look more guilty. Like he knew what he was going to do.

justme23
02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
They should have procedures to restrain these people until they are cooperative. Also I think there should be another cop in the room.

They do! That's the sad thing about it. They have a chair made specifically for this type of situation. It's a hard plastic chair on wheels w/ seat belt type straps that criss cross over the chest and two straps for the legs. I don't know this from experience, there is a show called Jail on TV that's all about the booking process and they use it all the time!

Kyla Kym
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Just dont want ya to have the wrong idea I didn't say he was right or wrong I am just saying that for all I know she could have broken her nose in one of the accidents (hence the broken nose and the blacks eyes) I dont KNOW if he beat her OR if she fell. It concerned me that he turned the tape off but since then I have been told that once they refuse the test then the tape goes off but I am still unclear as to why. Either way whether he hurt this lady or not I dont think he should have been a cop anyway since he has already had what 3 complaints already..........hey Kyla Kym someone told me he used to be a cop in Texarkana before this so I wonder if people around here have any bad stories on this guy too.

Here's a question for ya say whatever her problem medical or self inflicted how would you feel about this lady if she had hit and killed your loved one walking down the street instead of a tree or a pole? And no I don't think you would want her beaten up but just wonder if you would feel as sorry for her if say she killed your loved on and you later found out she was a drunk as a skunk or something
That's neither here, nor there. Regardless of the crime there should be procedures to follow.

And on that same scenario, are all the people in the past that did drive after drinking, and didn't kill someone, are they as horrible as the ones that did kill someone? I mean just because they didn't actually kill someone while they were drunk behind the wheel doesn't make them any better than the drunks who did kill someone does it? We can what if all day long. ya know? :)

I wasn't talking about the nose thing. I agree with you on that. What I'm talking about is procedures they should follow. Another what if? What if when she hit the floor it had of broke her neck because her hands where chained behind her back, and she couldn't break her fall by catching herself. What it she had died right there in that pool of blood? And then we find out she hadn't been drinking, she was having a insulin reaction? Then what? He would probably end up going to prison for her death.

Wonder how we could find out if he was a cop in Texarkana? That would be interesting to find out if he did have a record there for any wrong doing. hmmmm

BlueBerriTerri
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
For the record, she didn't just not listen to him--she attempted to leave. I guess everyone that is under arrest can just make up their minds that they don't want to be arrested and walk away. Yes, he was a jerk, and as I said before, I in no way condone any cop beating up anyone. But he had the authority in this situation, and she didn't. I do feel like alcohol was in play in this situation, and that can make someone belligerent.

I know most people are seeing a sweet, innocent little female but I just don't see it. What I do see is someone who was probably drinking and driving, caused an accident, and wanted the rules bent so that she could call one of her good-old-boy courthouse cronies to get her out of trouble before she could be booked.

The cop could have and should have handled this differently. He apparently has a history of violence and while he could have beaten her while the camera was off, I simply don't believe that happened, although it's a good thing he is gone. It would probably be a ironic kind of justice if he got fired for something he actually didn't do. Her injuries are consistent with a fall, and I am still waiting to hear any conclusive evidence to the contrary. I do believe that he should have been fired even if he didn't beat her. She should have been restrained where she was not able to fall, and he should have had a female officer take over.

In this outpouring of sympathy for her, I wonder if she will ever be charged with anything. I would hope that she doesn't continue to drink and drive considering she'll probably get off with no charges, but surprisingly, some people who are lucky enough to get away with something just don't learn. Let's hope she doesn't run over one of her defender's loved ones. Now THAT would be ironic.

Kyla Kym
02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
They do! That's the sad thing about it. They have a chair made specifically for this type of situation. It's a hard plastic chair on wheels w/ seat belt type straps that criss cross over the chest and two straps for the legs. I don't know this from experience, there is a show called Jail on TV that's all about the booking process and they use it all the time!

So if he would have called for them to bring in one of these chairs, (or even another officer) instead of trying to show her who was boss, this whole situations would have been avoid. He would still have his job, and she would have never been injured. And there wouldn't be all this media about her.

ahippiechic
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, if she was drinking & driving, she should be charged. BUT that officer should be charged also. I know where I worked an officer never took anyone into a room that wasn't being recorded, for any reason. And turning a camera off would have been grounds for a suspension. There is a reason they use cameras. It's to protect the officer as well as the suspect.

evrita
02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I only have to say is I have seen some tiny women who can fight like a 200 pd man or worse I bet if you were to piss off hippy she could whoop the arse off a man who was 2xs her size. Honestly when it comes to women and fighting we fight much dirtier then men.

ahippiechic
02-22-2008, 06:34 AM
I only have to say is I have seen some tiny women who can fight like a 200 pd man or worse I bet if you were to piss off hippy she could whoop the arse off a man who was 2xs her size. Honestly when it comes to women and fighting we fight much dirtier then men.

That's true and I have seen some wild people brought in. But it didn't seem to me that he did anything he should have to try and to restrain her. Then with him moving in front of the cam and it going off, it really look suspicious. That's why most carry pepper spray and taser. Other means of subduing someone with out having to hit them.

Willow
02-22-2008, 06:48 AM
I think the fact that this particular officer has been in trouble twice before for similar things says it all. I think they did the right thing by firing him.

ladybugva
02-22-2008, 06:56 AM

yeah that that's what we all say. J/K

Like most have said, sadly we will never know b/c they both have a different story but when he cut off the camera that didn't hold well for him. Now IF he didn't do it there is no proof and IF he did also no proof for her.

evrita
02-22-2008, 07:12 AM
That's true and I have seen some wild people brought in. But it didn't seem to me that he did anything he should have to try and to restrain her. Then with him moving in front of the cam and it going off, it really look suspicious. That's why most carry pepper spray and taser. Other means of subduing someone with out having to hit them.

I am not arguing that point I do agree I know if they taser people they get grief for that too. I think it is hard being in law enforcement. I havent watched the video I know way too many officers with attitudes and then on the other hand I know some that are great that will give ya the shirt of thier backs. I was just going by the fact she keeps saying she is so tiny she is so tiny I know my hubby is a tiny man but piss him off he can take down a guy 3xs his size and I have seen women do the same thing. You can never under estimate a person becuase they appear to be tiny they are usally the scrappers :slapping :rolling

ahippiechic
02-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I am not arguing that point I do agree I know if they taser people they get grief for that too. I think it is hard being in law enforcement. I havent watched the video I know way too many officers with attitudes and then on the other hand I know some that are great that will give ya the shirt of thier backs. I was just going by the fact she keeps saying she is so tiny she is so tiny I know my hubby is a tiny man but piss him off he can take down a guy 3xs his size and I have seen women do the same thing. You can never under estimate a person becuase they appear to be tiny they are usally the scrappers :slapping :rolling

I was agreeing with you!

YankeeMary
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
For those of you that do not think he did this, then why was he looking at the back of his hand for blood? When I seen it I thought he was looking to see if he cut his hand open when he punched her.

evrita
02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
She couldve bitten him for all we know.

sunniekiss
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
From what I saw she was either drunk or high or maybe both. He explained to her to settle down & cooperate several times. He had to advise her of her rights otherwise she would have claimed that she was not given her Miranda rights.
Notice several times she asked if this was being recorded? She kept asking "is this on the record?" She was handcuffed because she tried to leave several times.
Drunks don't make much sense when they are drunk & in trouble. Perhaps she wanted to delay getting tested so her blood alchol level went down. She was asking to call not a lawyer but a judge! Give me a break.
The Academy Awards are on Sunday, I think she deserves a nonimation.

ahippiechic
02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The thing is...it doesn't matter how she was acting. If beating them is the only way he knows how to control someone, then he has no business being an officer. And so what if she wanted to call a judge instead of a lawyer. That 1 phone call can be to anyone.

BlueBerriTerri
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
The thing is...it doesn't matter how she was acting. If beating them is the only way he knows how to control someone, then he has no business being an officer. And so what if she wanted to call a judge instead of a lawyer. That 1 phone call can be to anyone.

Quite right--she has every right to call whomever she desires, be it a judge, lawyer, doctor, or indian chief. But she wanted the rules broken so that she could call before being processed---and I would wager that she might indeed know someone with enough clout to either make any charges go away or downgrade it to a misdemeanor. I'm not familiar with police procedure, but I can imagine police would sometimes release lawbreakers to family members without filing charges. It's probably a lot more difficult to make those charges go away once they're in the system. But anyway, both of these people should shoulder responsibility for this huge mess, and I think they are both paying for it.

PrincessArky
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Quite right--she has every right to call whomever she desires, be it a judge, lawyer, doctor, or indian chief. But she wanted the rules broken so that she could call before being processed---and I would wager that she might indeed know someone with enough clout to either make any charges go away or downgrade it to a misdemeanor. I'm not familiar with police procedure, but I can imagine police would sometimes release lawbreakers to family members without filing charges. It's probably a lot more difficult to make those charges go away once they're in the system. But anyway, both of these people should shoulder responsibility for this huge mess, and I think they are both paying for it.

that is exactly what she wanted.........from what I could figure out the Judge Clark she wanted to phone was the man she worked for.

Like I said before I dont know 100% which story is true but I do agree that he shouldnt be a cop but at the same time that woman also needs some sort of help whether if it is for a mental problem or drugs......next time she gets in a car in this condition she just might kill someone :(

Kelsey1224
02-22-2008, 02:50 PM

I absolutely agree with this. I understand that our police are often in trouble for just trying to survive 'out there'. But, I can not see any reason for the woman ending up lying in a pool of blood. And, it took forever for anyone to come get her the medical help she obviously needed.

I am totally appalled.

I couldn't tell if she was drunk or not. I do know that while he was reading her Miranda rights, he ignored her request to allow her to call someone. It doesn't matter who she was going to call, it was her right to call someone. It was also obvious to me that she had become hysterical and wasn't behaving reasonably, yet he did nothing to calm her down so he could reason with her.

In fact, he handcuffed her and shoved her...face first...into the wall. He then pushed her into a chair and kept shoving her head down between her knees. Why was he doing all that? I could see no reason for his behavior. She was hardly acting threatening toward him. She was just disagreeing with his behavior. Are we not allowed to tell a police officer that they are wrong?

When he turned the tape off, I knew no good could come of it.

While I have no idea of whether or not this woman actually deserved to be arrested, I don't believe she did anything to get the beating she so obviously got. I'm glad he was fired.

PrincessArky
02-22-2008, 10:06 PM
It doesn't matter who she was going to call, it was her right to call someone.

BUT you do not have that right until AFTER you are booked

PrincessArky
02-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey guess I missed this the other day but since some think she wasnt drinking or high or whatever here is your answer

Though police and Garbarino agree the situation was uneasy, Garbarino said she was not so drunk she couldn't recall the incident.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4309643&page=1

Meanwhile, Garbarino faces reckless driving, hit-and-run and DWI charges. She has denied the charges.

A Shreveport police spokesperson said no specific law about the phone call exists, but typically suspects are processed, booked and then allowed to make a phone call.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4309643&page=3

YankeeMary
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I have no idea if she was drinking. I know for a fact that she wasn't someone that that officer couldn't control without violence. I do know for a fact that she wasn't bleeding when they showed her first in the room. Yes she had a tissue but if you watch the video and zoom in you can't even see blood on the tissue.I also know for a fact that half way through the video she was laying in a puddle of blood and at one point coughed/spit up a mouth full of blood. I also know she was left to lay there for a long time without someone at least offering her a freaking tissue. I know that once all the other officers and EMT people came in, the Jerk cop was gone??? Why? If she accidentally fell and injured herself, why did he disappear. If I were him and it was accidental, I would be so upset she was hurt while in my care. I would make sure she was taken care of. I would feel horrible. I would try to console her, I wouldn't disappear. He is a jerk and deserves not only to be fired but to also be charged. What a role model he is for my young sons. She as well needs charged if she was drinking and driving. Her behavior wasn't really all that bad, considering what they are use to I am sure. I can't imagine her being their worse prisioner. Unreal.

pepperpot
02-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I have no idea if she was drinking. I know for a fact that she wasn't someone that that officer couldn't control without violence. I do know for a fact that she wasn't bleeding when they showed her first in the room. Yes she had a tissue but if you watch the video and zoom in you can't even see blood on the tissue.I also know for a fact that half way through the video she was laying in a puddle of blood and at one point coughed/spit up a mouth full of blood. I also know she was left to lay there for a long time without someone at least offering her a freaking tissue. If you notice she was facially covered in blood and they had no gloves to protect themselves. Her hands were cuffed and she had no way to use a tissue herself. Also her airway was not compromised....it was strictly 'cosmetic' with the blood.I know that once all the other officers and EMT people came in, the Jerk cop was gone??? Why? I would think it would be customary to separate the two. If he was involved in any "wrong doing" you would not want him around to compromise any evidence or the scene. You remove the parties involved.If she accidentally fell and injured herself, why did he disappear. To keep a "hands off" approach.If I were him and it was accidental, I would be so upset she was hurt while in my care. I would make sure she was taken care of. I would feel horrible. I would try to console her, I wouldn't disappear. He is a jerk and deserves not only to be fired but to also be charged. What a role model he is for my young sons. She as well needs charged if she was drinking and driving. Her behavior wasn't really all that bad, considering what they are use to I am sure. I can't imagine her being their worse prisoner. Unreal.

FTR She was not there very long waiting for a medical response. Watch the full tape.

Her injuries are absolutely consistent with a fall to the face, including the black/raccoon eyes and broken teeth.

If the officer was smart, he would've had another officer there and would not have shut the tape irregardless of what the normal procedures were.

While I don't think he is totally innocent, neither is she. She was very dramatic screaming all over and throwing herself around.

I don't think she was drunk. There was no slurring nor any stammering...she could've been high, to me that's more of the case. And I think she was trying to get off with her 'connected' friends.....and he's not squeaky clean neither.

PrincessArky
02-23-2008, 06:54 AM
I have no idea if she was drinking.

in her own words

Garbarino said she was not so drunk she couldn't recall the incident.

so yeah she was that part is clear

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
in her own words

Garbarino said she was not so drunk she couldn't recall the incident.

so yeah she was that part is clear

I watched the GM clip and she said she COULD recall the entire incident.

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 08:03 AM
FTR She was not there very long waiting for a medical response. Watch the full tape.

Her injuries are absolutely consistent with a fall to the face, including the black/raccoon eyes and broken teeth.

If the officer was smart, he would've had another officer there and would not have shut the tape irregardless of what the normal procedures were.

While I don't think he is totally innocent, neither is she. She was very dramatic screaming all over and throwing herself around.

I don't think she was drunk. There was no slurring nor any stammering...she could've been high, to me that's more of the case. And I think she was trying to get off with her 'connected' friends.....and he's not squeaky clean neither.

It was a long time that she laid there. Imagine if it were you or one of your children. You would want someone helping them immediately. I mean come on, they could have at least sit her up, or something. IMO it was too long. You better believe it that jerk was bleeding, someone would have at least offered him a tissue.
I am not saying this woman was the ideal "prisioner" but I don't see anything that she did that would justify her being treated the way she was. Nothing should justify what I seen on that tape.

Wanted to add if she was so horrible, why didn't she initally have handcuffs on? If she was arrested wouldn't that be prodical?

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 08:17 AM
11 minutes into it, he smashed her face against the wall, causing her to start bleeding.
12 minutes and 20 seconds into it he turns the camera on and she is in the puddle of blood. No one came in until 14minutes 30 seconds then they stood in the doorway. Then others would come in and take a peek and whisper and then leave. That is a human laying there on the floor, injured. Then 19 minutes and 36 seconds, it looks like the EMTs arrive. The cops are still coming in getting their little peeks in, the whole scenerio is SICK! Finally at 33 minutes they wheel her out of there. I will say the EMTs showed great restraints with this woman.

BlueBerriTerri
02-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Lousy citizen, meet lousy cop. They both put themselves in this situation, made a lot of bad decisions, and are reaping a buttload of consequences.

Sometimes the punishment you get is not the punishment you deserve, and vice versa---as my 17 year old is no doubt tired of hearing me say. All the better reason to stay out of trouble in the first place. I think we first had this conversation upon reading a news story of the kid who put shaving cream on a car as a prank and was killed by the irate owner.

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Lousy citizen, meet lousy cop. They both put themselves in this situation, made a lot of bad decisions, and are reaping a buttload of consequences.
Sometimes the punishment you get is not the punishment you deserve, and vice versa---as my 17 year old is no doubt tired of hearing me say. All the better reason to stay out of trouble in the first place. I think we first had this conversation upon reading a news story of the kid who put shaving cream on a car as a prank and was killed by the irate owner.

I agree with this 100%. But I expect more out of police officer then I do a citizen. Something to do with upholding the law or something.

PrincessArky
02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I watched the GM clip and she said she COULD recall the entire incident.

I NEVER said she didnt what I said was she said she was not SO drunk she couldnt remember.....clears up the being drunk part

DO I belive if he beat her up she deserved it??? nope I dont BUT at the same time I also am thankful that she didnt kill anyone when she was hitting trees and a pole

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
11 minutes into it, he smashed her face against the wall, causing her to start bleeding.
12 minutes and 20 seconds into it he turns the camera on and she is in the puddle of blood. No one came in until 14minutes 30 seconds then they stood in the doorway. Then others would come in and take a peek and whisper and then leave. That is a human laying there on the floor, injured. Then 19 minutes and 36 seconds, it looks like the EMTs arrive. The cops are still coming in getting their little peeks in, the whole scenerio is SICK! Finally at 33 minutes they wheel her out of there. I will say the EMTs showed great restraints with this woman.
If he made the 'medical call' when he turned the tape on @ 12:20, then a 'response' time (19:36) would be 7 minutes and 16 seconds....not a 'bad' response time for a call that is not a 'high priority' call. ("High priority" calls are life threatening, difficulty breathing, non-breathing, chest pains, cardiac arrest, etc. - she was none of these.)

As for anyone 'sitting her up', if she had fallen/been pushed to the ground...there is a possible cervical (neck) injury...you wouldn't want someone with possible neck trauma sitting up and moving around. They need to stay still, not moved.

As for them 'peeking', she was fine...she was not going to die and they are not medically trained with the proper equipment. She was able to speak and breathe.....not life threatening.

I see no fault with any of the others in the video.

You must remember, they were 'peeking' in on a "combatant DWI suspect"....they did not see the incident and she was in no imminent danger. She was best left alone.

As "callous" as this looks to the untrained and unfamiliar....this is standard procedure for a reason and in everyone's best interest.

As for them exiting with her 14 minutes later....she was "non-compliant" with the EMT's, she delayed her exit herself. She was not in any imminent danger, the EMT's were stabilizing her and securing her so no further injuries would be sustained. For a "high priority Call" the rule to shoot to is 10 minutes and "out of there"...she was not "high priority", she was very stable. The EMT's need time to assess and gather information for her benefit and treatment. They acted appropriately.

justme23
02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
And how long do we know she layed there BEFORE he turned the tape back on? Cosmetic or not, she was NOT covered in blood before the tape went off and there was a LOT of blood when it came back on. He did *something* to her.

Edited to add: Are you an EMT? My husband was an EMT many many moons ago and after seeing the tape, he would have me assure you that ALL calls are considered "high priority" until the EMT get there to actually assess the situation. They can not just take the word of someone who only has basic cpr training as to how badly someone is hurt. I live in a VERY huge metro area and I can also assure you that 7 minutes is a LONG time. Even in my very huge city and w/ about a 30 percent shortage on EMTs, they shoot for a 4 minute response time and they RARELY take that long to respond to a 911 call. RARELY. Where they are located, volume of calls for ambulances is nothing what it is here and there are almost always EMT bases placed sporadically around a town so they aren't all congregated in one place. Even my hometown of 50 thousand had bases all over the place and it's a tiny town... just like the town this happened in.

I also think that the "able to speak and breathe, not life threatening" assessment is honestly the craziest thing I have heard in a while. Do you know how many ppl lay on ER tables bleeding uncontrollably and on the brink of death that speak to the doctors and nurses around them? These aren't indications of non life threatening conditions. My husbands team once sat w/ a man who was going to die for an hour so his family could get there. He had been in an accident w/ a train and was severed from the hips down. They knew he was going to die as soon as they released him. It would be instantaneous. They left him in there so his wife and kids could say goodbye. Now obviously the situation doesn't even come close to comparing... but for the sake of argument, I typed it out to show that even ppl whose death is imminent can speak and breathe.

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
And how long do we know she layed there BEFORE he turned the tape back on? Cosmetic or not, she was NOT covered in blood before the tape went off and there was a LOT of blood when it came back on. He did *something* to her.

I don't think anyone is disputing that *something* happened to her.

However, it was not 'life threatening'.......and yes, there was lots of blood....facial/head wounds bleed a lot.....it is not, however, indicative as to how severely she was injured. Some of your most severe and critical injuries do not bleed at all.

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Edited to add: Are you an EMT? My husband was an EMT many many moons ago and after seeing the tape, he would have me assure you that ALL calls are considered "high priority" until the EMT get there to actually assess the situation. They can not just take the word of someone who only has basic cpr training as to how badly someone is hurt. I live in a VERY huge metro area and I can also assure you that 7 minutes is a LONG time. Even in my very huge city and w/ about a 30 percent shortage on EMTs, they shoot for a 4 minute response time and they RARELY take that long to respond to a 911 call. RARELY. Where they are located, volume of calls for ambulances is nothing what it is here and there are almost always EMT bases placed sporadically around a town so they aren't all congregated in one place. Even my hometown of 50 thousand had bases all over the place and it's a tiny town... just like the town this happened in.

I also think that the "able to speak and breathe, not life threatening" assessment is honestly the craziest thing I have heard in a while. Do you know how many ppl lay on ER tables bleeding uncontrollably and on the brink of death that speak to the doctors and nurses around them? These aren't indications of non life threatening conditions. My husbands team once sat w/ a man who was going to die for an hour so his family could get there. He had been in an accident w/ a train and was severed from the hips down. They knew he was going to die as soon as they released him. It would be instantaneous. They left him in there so his wife and kids could say goodbye. Now obviously the situation doesn't even come close to comparing... but for the sake of argument, I typed it out to show that even ppl whose death is imminent can speak and breathe.

You cannot compare a partially amputated torso train victim to this lady.

Not every call an EMT receives is a "high priority" call....."high priority" has to meet certain criteria. This woman, and the description of her injuries would not be considered a "high priority" call.

FTR She was not "uncontrolably bleeding" by any means.

You can call me crazy and the 'craziest thing you ever heard', but I absolutely know differently. BTDT
Take it for what it's worth. This woman met none of the cirteria for "high priority" nor "life threatening injuries".

To prove the point, in the end, the most serious of her injuries were broken nose and missing teeth, laceration of the forehead, far, far from "life threatening".

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I think everyone or anyone can justify all the want/need to but IMO it was horrible and awful that all those police just kept coming in gawking and leaving. I think it is horrible that another human lay in a puddle of blood and NO ONE DID ANYTHING! If it was your spouse or your adult child you would be screaming from the roof tops how horrible it was. And yes I know we all "know" our kids wouldn't drink and drive etc. The bottom line is, it was horrible to leave someone lay there like that and offer nothing.
As for head/face wounds bleeding alot yes they do, which is all more reason to do something. You can bleed to death from the head just as you can from the toe. It wasn't considered "high priority" because she pissed off the cop. And I can assure you, I am not untrained or unfamiliar with medical emergencies.

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I NEVER said she didnt what I said was she said she was not SO drunk she couldnt remember.....clears up the being drunk part
DO I belive if he beat her up she deserved it??? nope I dont BUT at the same time I also am thankful that she didnt kill anyone when she was hitting trees and a pole

Ok sorry about that I just didn't understand what you typed, guess I can't read...lol. Thanks.

I am thankful as well that she didn't kill anyone. And I also think if she was drinking and driving she should be charged. But I also have to say just because she is accused or was drinking and driving, doesn't constitute being beat on or shoved down or to be allowed to lay for a good bit of time in a puddle of her own blood. Two wrongs do not make a right.

PrincessArky
02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
I live in a VERY huge metro area and I can also assure you that 7 minutes is a LONG time.

The only ppl that move that fast in Shreveport are the criminals lol

YankeeMary no doubt I agree with ya on them not doing anything that part really freaked me out I was just thinking where the heck were they earlier???seems like that lady cop could have gone in when he was trying to read her rights.

PrincessArky
02-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Two wrongs do not make a right.

yep thats very true.........not sure I could honestly say that had it been one of my kids instead of a tree though.

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I think everyone or anyone can justify all the want/need to but IMO it was horrible and awful that all those police just kept coming in gawking and leaving. I think it is horrible that another human lay in a puddle of blood and NO ONE DID ANYTHING! If it was your spouse or your adult child you would be screaming from the roof tops how horrible it was. And yes I know we all "know" our kids wouldn't drink and drive etc. The bottom line is, it was horrible to leave someone lay there like that and offer nothing.
As for head/face wounds bleeding alot yes they do, which is all more reason to do something. You can bleed to death from the head just as you can from the toe. It wasn't considered "high priority" because she pissed off the cop. And I can assure you, I am not untrained or unfamiliar with medical emergencies.

Okay...Mary, assuming they did have gloves, what could they have done for her? Hold her hand? she was not 'uncontrolably bleeding', yes she bled a lot....from the look of the blood it looks like from the nose (that's just my opinion, hard to tell).

FTR I've never heard of someone 'bleeding to death' from their toe/toe injury (usually a wound will occlude or clot before that happens.)....:paranoid...especially in 7-8 minutes....:stunned

As far as husband, child, family member, etc...or some drunk dude who just took out a whole family....I wonder if this were Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, etc. if ya'll would be showing the same compassion.

They weren't 'gawking', they were checking in on her to see if her 'status' has changed. If it had, I'm sure they would've reacted differently, regardless of who they (the victim) were.

Initially should the protocol been different? Absolutely!

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I am thankful as well that she didn't kill anyone. And I also think if she was drinking and driving she should be charged. But I also have to say just because she is accused or was drinking and driving, doesn't constitute being beat on or shoved down ........ Two wrongs do not make a right.
:agree

YankeeMary
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Okay...Mary, assuming they did have gloves, what could they have done for her? Hold her hand? she was not 'uncontrolably bleeding', yes she bled a lot....from the look of the blood it looks like from the nose (that's just my opinion, hard to tell).

FTR I've never heard of someone 'bleeding to death' from their toe/toe injury (usually a wound will occlude or clot before that happens.)....:paranoid...especially in 7-8 minutes....:stunnedIt was just an off funny. I know very very few would bleed to death from their toe, but none the less it could happen. I was just trying to say that if you are bleeding alot it doesn't matter where at there is a possiblity that one could bleed to death. And no I do not think she was going to bleed to death. I think there was more danger of her choking to death on her own blood, at one point she choked up a mouth full of blood.

As far as husband, child, family member, etc...or some drunk dude who just took out a whole family....I wonder if this were Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, etc. if ya'll would be showing the same compassion. Yes I would feel the same. No one deserves to be beat or whatever and then left to lay there like that. Compassion is one of the things that seperate us humans from animals.

They weren't 'gawking', they were checking in on her to see if her 'status' has changed. If it had, I'm sure they would've reacted differently, regardless of who they (the victim) were.

Initially should the protocol been different? Absolutely!

I just simply think its horrible that I didn't see any compassion until the EMTs arrived. This is America for pete's sake. Everyone has already decided she is guilty, they became the judge, and jury and are ready to hang her. She is innocent until proven guilty...PERIOD! And if she is ever proven guilty, then she should have to do the sentence that the judge gives her and I can assure you beating her or throwing her to the ground won't be ordered. The whole clip is barbaric (sp?). In the year 2008 we should be past that type of behavior.

pepperpot
02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I just simply think its horrible that I didn't see any compassion until the EMTs arrived. This is America for pete's sake. Everyone has already decided she is guilty, they became the judge, and jury and are ready to hang her. She is innocent until proven guilty...PERIOD! And if she is ever proven guilty, then she should have to do the sentence that the judge gives her and I can assure you beating her or throwing her to the ground won't be ordered. The whole clip is barbaric (sp?). In the year 2008 we should be past that type of behavior.

I for one, have not said she is guilty nor deserving of, if indeed, she was abused by the officer. I have my doubts.

I can however, say that from the time the tape was turned back on she was not abused.....she received the 'proper' care in a timely manner. From that point on there was nothing that anyone could have done for her until the EMT's arrived. She was separated from her 'alleged' abuser, she was not in any 'life threatening' distress, she was not left in a position where she could harm herself, she was constantly observed by officials for her safety until EMS arrived.

babydoll_jen
02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Here is one thing I don't understand about this. If she was throwing herself up against the wall and abusing herself, why didn't the police officer turn the camera on while she was doing it? Why did he wait until she was done, lying in her own blood, to turn it back on? I, for one, would want the camera on while she was doing this just in case this sort of thing happened.

It IS possible to choke on your own blood. That COULD have been a life-threatening situation.

Also, has anyone tried putting their hands behind their backs and run into a wall? I realize this may be easy IF she was drunk, but she would have almost had to hit the wall head on to break her nose.

Another thing, did anyone think that MAYBE she was upset and crying when she first comes in the room and that is WHY she has a tissue? Somewhere along the way, SOMEONE had to give her that tissue.

Just my 2 cents worth.

justme23
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Deleted post because it isn't worth arguing over.

pepperpot
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
It IS possible to choke on your own blood. That COULD have been a life-threatening situation.

It is possible to choke on your own blood. However, if you are screaming and talking, you are not choking.

Also, the officers kept poking in to see what was going on with her......

ahippiechic
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Less than 8 minutes is a good response time.

Here in Phoenix they do prioritize 911 calls, based on difficulty breathing etc, as mentioned above. Back home in my small town, they didn't.

Head wounds bleed a LOT even if they're superficial. So they can look horrible, but not be much at all.

All I'm saying is that guilty or not, a suspect shouldn't be treated like that. I DO think he did something to her. He needs to be retrained or in a diff line of work altogether.

evrita
02-24-2008, 09:22 AM
4 Minutes WOW glad you have EMS that are out killing peps in town yeah a 4 min response time is good you get in a rural area 7 or 8 mins is a good time and they do make calls here priority too they are Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta and Echo level calls.

ahippiechic
02-24-2008, 09:31 AM
4 Minutes WOW glad you have EMS that are out killing peps in town yeah a 4 min response time is good you get in a rural area 7 or 8 mins is a good time and they do make calls here priority too they are Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta and Echo level calls.

Yeah, they have the same levels here in Phoenix.

And sometimes, depending on how the call gets routed, it might take 4 minutes to get anything rolling, much less get them to the scene.

YankeeMary
02-24-2008, 11:00 AM
This isn't about the response time or the way the EMTs treated her. I felt they were very patient with her etc...We don't even actually know when the EMTs were called. The time frames that I went went by were when they first turned on the camera after he beat the woman. And for the record, I am positive that the police officers there had access to unlimited supply of rubber gloves. They even carry them in their trunks. So not having gloves is no excuse for not helping her, by helping her, I mean at least hand her a tissue. They weren't worried about her neck as he had her roll over instead of leaving her alone, after he turned the camera back on. Secondly, if a neck or back injury was the worry, then certainly he would have uncuffed her so she could have laid flat.
This is about leaving a human lay on the floor for that time while injured and the only thing anyone one could do was gawk and stare.

Kyla Kym
02-24-2008, 03:10 PM
This isn't about the response time or the way the EMTs treated her. I felt they were very patient with her etc...We don't even actually know when the EMTs were called. The time frames that I went went by were when they first turned on the camera after he beat the woman. And for the record, I am positive that the police officers there had access to unlimited supply of rubber gloves. They even carry them in their trunks. So not having gloves is no excuse for not helping her, by helping her, I mean at least hand her a tissue. They weren't worried about her neck as he had her roll over instead of leaving her alone, after he turned the camera back on. Secondly, if a neck or back injury was the worry, then certainly he would have uncuffed her so she could have laid flat.
This is about leaving a human lay on the floor for that time while injured and the only thing anyone one could do was gawk and stare.

Mary, I have agreed with everything you have said. I don't see how anyone could think other wise. So I don't see the point in arguing any further about it myself. Because nothing anyone has said so far to the contrary has convinced me it was ok for that cop to do that. That particular situation should have never escalated to that point, and should have been dealt with differently.

And you are so right, about how appalling it was that they all just kept walking around her like like that without even trying to comfort her in anyway.
I personally have more human compassion than that. They could have at least tried to cover her up with something so she wouldn't go into shock.

YOu can drown on your own blood if your on your back. I know someone that was 16 who walked into the hospital ER and died on the table because she drowned on her own blood.

pepperpot
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Okay, I'm trying to be objective and view this from a different POV....

......... And for the record, I am positive that the police officers there had access to unlimited supply of rubber gloves. They even carry them in their trunks. yes they probably do. So not having gloves is no excuse for not helping her, by helping her, I mean at least hand her a tissue. Her hands were handcuffed behind her back, she could not have wiped her own face and if she tried to do so with her hand cuffed, she might further injure herself if there were any spinal injuries.They weren't worried about her neck as he had her roll over instead of leaving her alone, after he turned the camera back on.The first officer is the one who rolled her over if I recollect, not the other officers. Secondly, if a neck or back injury was the worry, then certainly he would have uncuffed her so she could have laid flat.Nope, this would have encouraged her to move about more and possibly try to get up. Besides, she was handcuffed for a reason*

She wasn't really laying on the floor for all that long. That was the safest place for her to be, she should not have been moved by the police, they are not trained, nor equipped for this. Besides, they knew the ambulance and further help would be there within minutes.

Consider this POV......

You are a police officer in the station doing your own work. A co-worker brings in a possible DWI woman who was already known to hit several parked cars and a lamp post, etc. While she is being escorted to the area for a breathalyser test (un-cuffed), she is screaming and carrying on to call her 'buddies' the 'judge', etc. Obviously she's looking to use all her hooks. You witness this and her being non-compliant and very uncooperative. You observe that there seems to be some sort of substance abuse. She is escorted into the room, you go back to what you are doing.

The door opens up and she is trying to walk out, still screaming to call her 'hooks', not cooperating, etc. She is the only one who is screaming. The other officer is calm, cool and trying to read her her rights and administer a test. He is not in her face screaming or threatening her that you have witnessed. This commotion goes on for several minutes with her screaming bloody murder, trying to open the door and leave, struggling, being non-compliant, uncooperative, disrespecting, etc. The officer at this point has not thrown her around but has calmly and firmly pulled her back into the room. He hand cuffs her, you go about your work. The screaming and carrying-on continues, you hear this through the door, (it's all her voice).

Then the door opens and the PO says, please call the ambulance. She tried to get up, fell and smacked her face on the floor (which is concrete BTW). You call 911, go to the room see her on the floor, she's still talking, airway is not compromised. She's not so much complaining of her physical injuries or pain as she is yelling, "look what he did".... You call the Sargent (or the one who in charge), he takes a look see at the scene instructs the initial officer to go to another room as to not compromise this scene further and for inquiry as to what happened. Obviously, there will be a report and his statement will be needed.

For all you know, if you approach her she could spit in your face (bodily fluids transmission), you can use gloves but there's lots of blood and she's not in any imminent danger of dying within the next 10 minutes (you know the ambulance is on the way). You wouldn't want to uncuff her because she was physical before (you observed it), she could attack you or try to get up and injure herself even more. Especially if she was under the influence and with adrenaline flowing, you tend not to feel the pain so much. If she was at that point accusing the other officer of abuse, would you want to touch her and then have her say that you abused her as well? There is no life threatening, imminent danger of her dying and she has been a 'problem' from the time she was walked in.

So you keep monitoring the situation and keep your distance for the few minutes it takes for EMS to arrive.

I really think that is what we witnessed. :shrug I really don't think the other officers were out of line. No one went over to her and harassed her nor kicked her while she was down. They called for EMS, monitored and kept their distance.

YankeeMary
02-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Okay, I'm trying to be objective and view this from a different POV....

She wasn't really laying on the floor for all that long. That was the safest place for her to be, she should not have been moved by the police, they are not trained, nor equipped for this. Besides, they knew the ambulance and further help would be there within minutes.

Consider this POV......

You are a police officer in the station doing your own work. A co-worker brings in a possible DWI woman who was already known to hit several parked cars and a lamp post, etc. While she is being escorted to the area for a breathalyser test (un-cuffed), she is screaming and carrying on to call her 'buddies' the 'judge', etc. Obviously she's looking to use all her hooks. You witness this and her being non-compliant and very uncooperative. You observe that there seems to be some sort of substance abuse. She is escorted into the room, you go back to what you are doing.

The door opens up and she is trying to walk out, still screaming to call her 'hooks', not cooperating, etc. She is the only one who is screaming. The other officer is calm, cool and trying to read her her rights and administer a test. He is not in her face screaming or threatening her that you have witnessed. This commotion goes on for several minutes with her screaming bloody murder, trying to open the door and leave, struggling, being non-compliant, uncooperative, disrespecting, etc. The officer at this point has not thrown her around but has calmly and firmly pulled her back into the room. He hand cuffs her, you go about your work. The screaming and carrying-on continues, you hear this through the door, (it's all her voice).

Then the door opens and the PO says, please call the ambulance. She tried to get up, fell and smacked her face on the floor (which is concrete BTW). You call 911, go to the room see her on the floor, she's still talking, airway is not compromised. She's not so much complaining of her physical injuries or pain as she is yelling, "look what he did".... You call the Sargent (or the one who in charge), he takes a look see at the scene instructs the initial officer to go to another room as to not compromise this scene further and for inquiry as to what happened. Obviously, there will be a report and his statement will be needed.

For all you know, if you approach her she could spit in your face (bodily fluids transmission), you can use gloves but there's lots of blood and she's not in any imminent danger of dying within the next 10 minutes (you know the ambulance is on the way). You wouldn't want to uncuff her because she was physical before (you observed it), she could attack you or try to get up and injure herself even more. Especially if she was under the influence and with adrenaline flowing, you tend not to feel the pain so much. If she was at that point accusing the other officer of abuse, would you want to touch her and then have her say that you abused her as well? There is no life threatening, imminent danger of her dying and she has been a 'problem' from the time she was walked in.

So you keep monitoring the situation and keep your distance for the few minutes it takes for EMS to arrive.

I really think that is what we witnessed. :shrug I really don't think the other officers were out of line.Its not that they were "out of line" as much as they were cold hearted and gawking. No one went over to her and harassed her nor kicked her while she was down. They called for EMS, monitored and kept their distance.

I can't imagine us agreeing on this situation. I don't think it was right to leave that woman laying there or anyone else for that matter. If you or anyone else think this situation was handled correctly then it doesn't make you "wrong". But I have my own convictions and stand them. We are all different, its what makes the world go around.

pepperpot
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't imagine us agreeing on this situation. I don't think it was right to leave that woman laying there or anyone else for that matter. If you or anyone else think this situation was handled correctly then it doesn't make you "wrong". But I have my own convictions and stand them. We are all different, its what makes the world go around.

Okay, if you think she should not have been lying on the floor....what should they have done? There was no stretcher nor equipment to stabilize her (or trained personnel) to do so. I don't see that they had a lot of options.

What could they have done as to not be considered 'cold hearted'?

BTW I'm not looking to argue but perhaps you're seeing something here that I am not. What could they have done that they did not do?

P.S. you see it as "gawking", I see it as monitoring and assessing her stability.

BlueBerriTerri
02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
This is America for pete's sake. Everyone has already decided she is guilty, they became the judge, and jury and are ready to hang her. She is innocent until proven guilty...PERIOD!

Does the cop not deserve the same presumption of innocence until proven guilty? We all have our own ideas about what happened when the tape was off, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it is Shreveport Police procedure to turn the tape off if a suspect does not give consent to be given a breathalyzer.

Every cop interviewing a person refusing the test would then turn it off after having read the suspect their rights and responsibilities. I guess that they are lucky that nothing happened afterwards because if they turned the tape back on to document any incident, they might be in this cop's shoes. I'm assuming that it was turned back on to have some sort of solid documentation after the incident occurred.

I never saw him do anything that caused any visible injury while the tape was on. He might have when the tape was off---I'll never know. I don't have a vested interest in the guilt or innocence of either one of these people, so just like everyone else here, I have my own opinion. I know some people can just FEEL what happened and just know it in their hearts to be true, so my question is---have you ever been so sure of something and then found out that it wasn't so? What I'm trying to say is, Have you EVER been wrong? I know I have, and for that reason I can't say without a doubt that he didn't do this, although I don't believe it to be so. I can't say that she did or didn't do what she is accused of either. I know what I saw and heard on the tape, and I know what I didn't see and hear on the tape.

galeane29
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
In my opinion since he was fired there was obviously someone that thought
he was guilty of something. He also has a history of using excessive force.
He was holding her by her arms that were handcuffed behind her back. Maybe she did "fall" but maybe if he had'nt been holding her like he was she may not have fallen. Also, what kind of policy says you turn off the camera if they refuse the breathalizer test? That damn camera should have been on the ENTIRE time someone is in that room being booked.

She was stupid by not shutting the hell up but that cop with his history should never have been able to continue his career after other reports
against him.

BlueBerriTerri
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree it was stupid to turn it off, but the police commissioner that was being interviewed stated that it was the policy, so it was something that any policeman who was processing her would have done.

PrincessArky
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe she did "fall" but maybe if he had'nt been holding her like he was she may not have fallen.

and maybe if she didnt drink before driving none of this would have ever happened..........lot of IFs but I dont think we will ever have and clear answers

pepperpot
02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
In my opinion since he was fired there was obviously someone that thought
he was guilty of something. He also has a history of using excessive force.
He was holding her by her arms that were handcuffed behind her back. Maybe she did "fall" but maybe if he had'nt been holding her like he was she may not have fallen. Also, what kind of policy says you turn off the camera if they refuse the breathalizer test? That damn camera should have been on the ENTIRE time someone is in that room being booked.

She was stupid by not shutting the hell up but that cop with his history should never have been able to continue his career after other reports
against him.

I agree with you on pretty much all of it.

I have my serious doubts about that first officer, especially given his track record. However, from what we saw on the tape....she was not abused.

If he really was innocent, it would have behooved him to keep the camera rolling for every incident he encountered, especially if he knew he had complaints against him. Foolish on his part if he's innocent, devious and cunning if he's not. My feeling is, he's not totally innocent.

Stupidity on her part all around......she could've avoided this incident at every step of the way.

And, not only should he lose his job, she should be arrested and charged with a myriad of charges as well.....DWI, resisting arrest, etc. Neither seem like very creditable people.

YankeeMary
02-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Does the cop not deserve the same presumption of innocence until proven guilty? touche in a way. He wasn't the one "under arrest". Apparently he was found guilty or he wouldn't have been fired.We all have our own ideas about what happened when the tape was off, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it is Shreveport Police procedure to turn the tape off if a suspect does not give consent to be given a breathalyzer.

Every cop interviewing a person refusing the test would then turn it off after having read the suspect their rights and responsibilities. I guess that they are lucky that nothing happened afterwards because if they turned the tape back on to document any incident, they might be in this cop's shoes. I'm assuming that it was turned back on to have some sort of solid documentation after the incident occurred.

I never saw him do anything that caused any visible injury while the tape was on. I saw him cuff her and smashed her face against the wall/door. It caused her nose or lip to bleed. That was before he turned the tape off.He might have when the tape was off---I'll never know. I don't have a vested interest in the guilt or innocence of either one of these people, so just like everyone else here, I have my own opinion. I know some people can just FEEL what happened and just know it in their hearts to be true, so my question is---have you ever been so sure of something and then found out that it wasn't so? What I'm trying to say is, Have you EVER been wrong? I know I have, and for that reason I can't say without a doubt that he didn't do this, although I don't believe it to be so. I can't say that she did or didn't do what she is accused of either. I know what I saw and heard on the tape, and I know what I didn't see and hear on the tape.

Please do not get me wrong here. I am not saying she wasn't drinking and driving. I am also not saying she was a great prisioner. I just think excessive force and ignorance was used by a trained officer, with a shady past. She was a little mouthy. If she was so difficult for him, why was he alone? I think he was an arrogant ass and she was mouthy. I just can't imagine leaving anyone lay there like that. It is sickening to me. Thats just the way I feel about it. Regardless of what she did.

BlueBerriTerri
02-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I do understand where you're coming from, YankeeMary. I think he could have and should have handled this differently especially since he was the one in charge and sober, and it's probably a good thing he is off the force. LOL, I just love a good debate.

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Please do not get me wrong here. I am not saying she wasn't drinking and driving. I am also not saying she was a great prisioner. I just think excessive force and ignorance was used by a trained officer, with a shady past. She was a little mouthy. If she was so difficult for him, why was he alone? I think he was an arrogant ass and she was mouthy. I just can't imagine leaving anyone lay there like that. It is sickening to me. Thats just the way I feel about it. Regardless of what she did.

But Mary, what could they have done for her? (the other officers)

BTW all of this is unpleasant and sickening.

YankeeMary
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
But Mary, what could they have done for her? (the other officers)

BTW all of this is unpleasant and sickening.

I think I mentioned back numerous posts ago. Heck they could have aleast offered her a tissue. The way he rolled her over after he turned the tape back on, I don't think a back/neck injury was his concern. So he could have sit her up. If it was a concern then he should have removed her handcuffs so she could lay flat. Real simple, he (THEY) all could have used simple compassion. She is a human, not some piece of road kill.

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I think I mentioned back numerous posts ago. Heck they could have aleast offered her a tissue. The way he rolled her over after he turned the tape back on, I don't think a back/neck injury was his concern. So he could have sit her up. If it was a concern then he should have removed her handcuffs so she could lay flat. Real simple, he (THEY) all could have used simple compassion. She is a human, not some piece of road kill.

The original cop is out of the picture. We're addressing the 'other' police offices' actions/non-actions.

Removing cuffs would encourage movement on her part. *She's still somewhat combative, non-compliant, resisting*

Giving a cuffed person a tissue encourages a totally awkward movement.

Sitting her up, again, movement not encouraged.

They all recognized she was injured and sought the appropriate help for her.

Even the EMT's collared her and secured her before transporting her. They all had her safety in mind as not to exacerbate her injuries.

Injuries are never pretty. As I said before, I know it 'looks callous', but it really isn't, one needs to look at the 'bigger picture'. IMO

YankeeMary
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
The original cop is out of the picture. We're addressing the 'other' police offices' actions/non-actions.

Removing cuffs would encourage movement on her part. *She's still somewhat combative, non-compliant, resisting*

Giving a cuffed person a tissue encourages a totally awkward movement.

Sitting her up, again, movement not encouraged.

They all recognized she was injured and sought the appropriate help for her.

Even the EMT's collared her and secured her before transporting her. They all had her safety in mind as not to exacerbate her injuries.

Injuries are never pretty. As I said before, I know it 'looks callous', but it really isn't, one needs to look at the 'bigger picture'. IMO

Regardless, I still believe they acted wrong. I still think they should have done something. I don't believe for one minute they were afraid of her being uncuffed for petes sake she couldn't weigh more than 100 pounds soaking wet. I think they are uncaring and cold. I am unable to change my thoughts or opinions on this, as I do not want to ever ever think it is ok to treat someone like this. Thats just me and I happen to love the compassion I have for others. As they say, Thats just the way I roll...haha. :rofl: (I have always wanted to say that and never have gotten the chance, so if it doesn't fit in this properly, sorry...lol.)

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Mary, it wouldn't let me rep ya for all the fine rolling you are doing! :lol

ahippiechic
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
"cuz that's just how Mary rolls!"

Sorry, Mary...I HAD to...

YankeeMary
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
"cuz that's just how Mary rolls!"

Sorry, Mary...I HAD to...

To funny. You crack me up. I was just talking "cool"...haha.

YankeeMary
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Mary, it wouldn't let me rep ya for all the fine rolling you are doing! :lol

You and hippie crack me up...lol. Thanks.

ahippiechic
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
To funny. You crack me up. I was just talking "cool"...haha.

I like how you roll!

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I like how you roll!

After Mary 'rolls', does she smoke it too? :yikes

:lol

ahippiechic
02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
After Mary 'rolls', does she smoke it too? :yikes

:lol

http://myhippiespace.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/7havacig.gif

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Poor Mary! :lol

:rofl:

Kyla Kym
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Thats just the way I roll...haha. :rofl: (I have always wanted to say that and never have gotten the chance, so if it doesn't fit in this properly, sorry...lol.)

Be sure and say that around your teenagers as often as you can. It really freaks them out to hear mom talking their talk. :D

When "My Bad" was popular, I think it made my son's toes curl when I would say it. :rolling

BlueBerriTerri
02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Thats just the way I roll...haha. :rofl: (I have always wanted to say that and never have gotten the chance, so if it doesn't fit in this properly, sorry...lol.)

LOL, Mary you are fierce!

pepperpot
02-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Be sure and say that around your teenagers as often as you can. It really freaks them out to hear mom talking their talk. :D

When "My Bad" was popular, I think it made my son's toes curl when I would say it. :rolling

You mean it's not popular? I use it all the time! :yikes

I guess that's my bad....:lol

PrincessArky
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Posted: March 21, 2008 12:39 PM CDT

Updated: March 21, 2008 12:39 PM CDT

The woman who says a Shreveport police officer beat her after being arrested for drunk driving was set to go to trial Thursday, but it was continued by the police department's attorneys.
We first told you about Angela Garbarino in February.
You'll remember she's the woman on video taken inside the Shreveport Police Department refusing to take a breathalizer test.
Officer Wiley Willis, was seen turning off the tape and then turning it back on.
Garbarino was then found lying in a pool of blood.
The next court date has not yet been released.

http://www.ksla.com/global/story.asp?s=8051647

PrincessArky
04-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Posted: April 10, 2008 04:41 PM CDT

Updated: April 10, 2008 04:56 PM CDT

Angela Garborino's DWI trial was set to begin on Thursday, however, that didn't happen. Garborino was arrested in November and charged with hit and run and DWI. She made national news with the claim that her arresting officer, Wiley Willis, beat her while in his custody.
For the second time, the trial has been postponed and set for another day.
A DWI charge is what began a series of events that lead to the firing of Officer Willis. Shortly after the incident, Garborino accused Willis of beating her. Police video tape shows Garborino lying on the floor in a pool of blood. An internal affairs investigation began at the request of Police Chief Henry Whitehorn. Willis was eventually fired.
City Prosecutor, Turell Miles, told Judge Bill Kelly that he needed more time to obtain a video tape that the police department still has.
The new trial date has been set for July 10th

http://www.ksla.com/global/story.asp?s=8149656

flute
04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Well if you're not buddy-buddies with the police, the laws apply to you.
Try being a man fleeing the scene, hell we honor 'em down here - even let 'em run for office - isn't that, like , a felony?? fleeing the scene of a crime? One where someone was INJURED?
But nope men get away with it.
SO SICK OF INJUSTICE I WANNA SCREAM

nightrider127
04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
They need to get this issue resolved. While I don't approve of what this woman is accused of, she doesn't deserve her life to be in an uproar like it probably is.

I have a friend whose husband was falsely accused of doing something falsely and their lives were in complete disarray as the trial got postponed one time after the other. Their entire summer and part of the fall was spent with this hanging over their heads. I guess this is what makes me feel the way I do about the matter.

JustDoIt
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
If he made the 'medical call' when he turned the tape on @ 12:20, then a 'response' time (19:36) would be 7 minutes and 16 seconds....not a 'bad' response time for a call that is not a 'high priority' call. ("High priority" calls are life threatening, difficulty breathing, non-breathing, chest pains, cardiac arrest, etc. - she was none of these.)

As for anyone 'sitting her up', if she had fallen/been pushed to the ground...there is a possible cervical (neck) injury...you wouldn't want someone with possible neck trauma sitting up and moving around. They need to stay still, not moved.

I don't think anyone is disputing that *something* happened to her.

However, it was not 'life threatening'.......and yes, there was lots of blood....facial/head wounds bleed a lot.....it is not, however, indicative as to how severely she was injured. Some of your most severe and critical injuries do not bleed at all.

Just wanted to ask you what exactly you find life-threatening?

I would assume that spinal/cerviacal injury is almost as bad as they come, and would merit being a high priority. If not, why the hell would they leave her there in her blood?? Gawking??

(Sorry about coming in late to the conversation....I'm a scatterbrain sometimes and don't always see every thread! :) )

PrincessArky
06-21-2008, 05:27 AM
The attorney for Angie Garbarino, the woman who wound up with a busted face while in Shreveport police custody, has sent the city a settlement figure and a suggestion that a mediator be called in to hear the case rather than take the case to trial.

Garbarino was injured last November after a confrontation with an officer at the Police Department's DWI unit. A camera that recorded the confrontation was turned off at one point; when it was turned back on, Garbarino was lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Garbarino's attorney, Gary Bowers, would not disclose the monetary settlement he mentioned. Such numbers are normally a starting point for negotiations in a civil damages case.

"He ( the city's attorney) wanted a settlement number," Bowers said today. "I told him, 'Why don't we consider mediation before this gets out of hand.'"

Edwin Byrd, the private attorney hired by the city to defend the case, said he had received the letter and other documents compiled by Garbarino's lawyer but declined further comment.

In mediation, each side sits down with an impartial third party and they try to reach a settlement. Any agreement would be non-binding. City officials would have to approve any monetary settlement in the Garbarino case.

The Caddo district attorney's office has finished its investigation into whether battery charges should be filed against fired officer Wiley Willis. A federal investigation, which is looking into whether Garbarino's civil rights were violated, is still underway. No decision on prosecution will be made until the federal probe is completed, Caddo District Attorney Paul Carmouche said.

Garbarino was arrested last November on suspicion of DWI. She was argumentative and had to be restrained twice as she tried to leave the room where sobriety tests are conducted. Willis eventually turned off the camera that was recording the incident and prepared to take her to jail. When Willis turned it back on, Garbarino was lying on the floor in a pool of blood from injuries to her face.

Willis said Garbarino fell on the floor while handcuffed and trying to get away from him; she said he beat her up.

A camera in an adjoining room showed nothing but did record the sounds of something or someone hitting an object twice.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Garbarinos-lawyer-sends-settlement-offer-to-city-13293/

PrincessArky
10-04-2008, 06:57 AM
he DWI trial of Angie Garbarino, the woman who wound up in a pool of blood after a contentious sobriety test at Shreveport police headquarters last year, was postponed today at the request of the city, who told the presiding judge they didn't have a staff attorney available to prosecute the case.

Garbarino's lawyers wanted to try the case in City Court today, arguing it's nearly a year old and needs to be over. The city's chief prosecutor is on leave while he runs for city judge and the city says he's the one who needs to handle it.

Despite controversy surrounding the case, the city said it is not afraid to try it.

Judge Randy Collins granted a delay until Dec. 18. He said there would be no more postponements.

Garbarino was injured last November after a confrontation with Shreveport police officer Wiley Willis at the Police Department's DWI unit. She didn't want to take a field sobriety test and tried to leave the room. A camera that recorded the confrontation was turned off at one point; when it was turned back on, Garbarino was lying injured.

http://www.ktbs.com/layouts/KTBS-3-News-Page-2

fleabones3
10-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Its obvious something happened to her , cuz she had just a small cut on her lip when she came in.. now all that blood??? Yes she should have shut up and stayed calm, but fact is, if you are asking why you are there and for your phone call to your lawyer, they HAVE to do it. Also a male cop and a female should never be alone.. thought that was standard procedure.

April78945
10-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Well if she wasn't drinking and driving in the first place she wouldn't have been pulled over...sorry...drunk driving is a very huge sore spot for me.

PrincessArky
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Woman who claimed she was beaten by Shreveport Police settles

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - The city of Shreveport reached a $400,000 legal settlement with a woman who claims she was injured while being booked on a DWI charge last year.

The city attorney says the city also agreed to drop all charges against Angela Garbarino.

Police Chief Henry Whitehorn filed a grievance back in December after watching videotape of the DWI booking, which showed Garbarino lying on the ground and bloodied.

The department later fired Officer Wiley Willis in a case that attracted national headlines.

The FBI says the settlement does not affect its civil rights investigation of the case.

http://www.ksla.com/global/story.asp?s=9284154

pepperpot
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM

I would assume that spinal/cerviacal injury is almost as bad as they come, and would merit being a high priority. If not, why the hell would they leave her there in her blood?? Gawking??

(Sorry about coming in late to the conversation....I'm a scatterbrain sometimes and don't always see every thread! :) )

:lol I just saw this today.....

I think my quote which you quoted answered those questions.....

Originally Posted by pepperpot

But here specific....

answer....
("High priority" calls are life threatening, difficulty breathing, non-breathing, chest pains, cardiac arrest, etc. - she was none of these.)

answer......

Cervical injuries which are exacerbated by extreme movement can become life threatening, but are not life threatening per se. There was no 'immediate' life threatening situation.....that would involve an airway restriction and/or level of consciousness, etc....while cervical injuries are serious....it's not immediately 'life threatening'....there's a difference....

Sorry it took about 6 months to answer....:lol....I didn't see it before...;)

YankeeMary
11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Well she made $400,000.00 for getting beat up by a bad cop. Thats a heck of a punishment for a DUI eh? If they would have fired that bad cop with the first complaint about him, she might have been charged and convicted and even served jail time for her DWI, hoping to teach her a lesson to never ever drink and drive. Instead, she gets a nice settlement and beat up. How is that for justice?

Did they ever decided to press charges against the bad cop?

iluvmybaby
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Well if she wasn't drinking and driving in the first place she wouldn't have been pulled over...sorry...drunk driving is a very huge sore spot for me.

April, I agree with you 100%, she SHOULDNT being drinking and driving, but she shouldnt have been beaten to a bloody pulp. They should have just put her in a jail cell and observed her until she sobered up until she was complacent.