PDA

View Full Version : RX prices @#$%^&^%$%#@

bpl76
02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
8year old granddaughter has been fighting flu last couple weeks. Was to Dr 10 days ago and not really too bad. Then today, temp started in again and inspite of tepid baths and alternating tylenol and Motrin every two hours her temp popped up to 104. Luckily her Dr has hours on weekends. In she went and he said her flu was now "full blown". Anyway prescribed a new medication that he said would help. 5 day supply $113.95!!!!!! OMG I am truly thankful her Father has good insurance and it only cost me $20, but I think of the people who simply can not afford the insurance. What in heavens name are they to do? It just isn't right that drugs that cost pennies to produce should cost so much. I realize the research and such to develop the drugs is expensive, but get real!!!!

Shann
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
that is quite a lot and I know for myself if my meds cost that much I'd be going w/o. meds are expensive and then even if you have insurance you have to make sure whatever pharmacy you go to actually accepts it

gmyers
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Between me and my husband our medicine is $920. Since he lost his insurance I don't buy mine anymore but his is still $500 something.

bpl76
02-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Between me and my husband our medicine is $920. Since he lost his insurance I don't buy mine anymore but his is still $500 something.

I don't know how you do it. It isn't right you have to go witihout yours. Isn't there some kind of program you could get on or something. Seems like I heard something about one on Montel or something like that. I didn't really pay attention though. It just isn't right for them to charge like that.

IthinkNOT!
02-18-2008, 04:08 AM
I know the feeling, Moms meds are close to 500 a month now, this is ridiculous! But I have signed her up for the PPA just waiting to hear back. For those that dont know, this is the one that Montel advertises for, and here is a link.... https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

JKATHERINE
02-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Believe me, I know. Last year Aiden had asthma all winter long (luckily it hasn't flared up this winter). He had up to 7 meds at a time, two of which were inhalers. One of the inhalers costs $199 and the other costs $100. Luckily insurance covered them (and the other meds), but what a ridiculous cost!

gmyers
02-18-2008, 05:12 AM
My husband takes spiriva and advair.and they don't have generic forms of it. Advair is $277 and spiriva is $138.48 and his inhaler is $48.78 and two other medicines I forget how much they are. When we had Blue Cross they paid all of the $920 except $210.

PrincessArky
02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I hear ya my meds for just one of my scripts is $256 thankfully I was about to get into the drug company program and they ship it to my dr for free. I just have to buy the one script which cost me about 20 a month

SLance68
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I have one that is even more aggravating. Humulin & Novolin Insulins when I became diabetic in 1988 were $ 11.00 per vial. The same vial today is $ 40.00 - NO new drug here but it is not available in a generic formula because the drug manufacturers get to keep redoing their patents. That part should be illegal. Thankfully my insurance covers it as a generic for $ 10.00 per month.

Aloha from paradise
02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Have you guys checked out the $4.00 prescriptions at Walmart? They have a website that lists all the drugs they sell for $4.00. Hubby and I started buying them there and save over $150.00 a month.

buttrfli
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
My husband takes spiriva and advair.and they don't have generic forms of it. Advair is $277 and spiriva is $138.48 and his inhaler is $48.78 and two other medicines I forget how much they are. When we had Blue Cross they paid all of the $920 except $210.

Go to that link that IThinkNot provided above.. I take advair and I mine free through that. I get a 6mo supply at a time. Shipped it right to my door. All I had to do was fill out the paperwork online (what I could) print it out and drop it off at my dr's office. I had a leter from the company within a week telling me I was approved.

Couldn't hurt

dc613353
02-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Have you guys checked out the $4.00 prescriptions at Walmart? They have a website that lists all the drugs they sell for $4.00. Hubby and I started buying them there and save over $150.00 a month.

i also get mine and dh at walmart saves alot

gmyers
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I wish we could get ours at walmart. But we don't have but a few generic medicines. The high ones aren't generic.

buttrfli
02-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Our target price matches walmarts pharmacy price... Kmart is getting ready to do the same :D

whatever
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM

I have, none of mine are listed there. Hyvee does this now also. Same thing.
none listed. well actually one but dose is to low.

EMSnurse
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
We have no insurance. We have applied for several assistance programs and the most we can get is 10% off. We struggle to afford basic living costs, yet we are supposed to come up woth $90 a month for dh's meds (that's with the discount card). Not to mention he has to actually see the Dr every six months to get the prescription, which isn't cheap either. He often just does without. I haven't been to a Dr in over 5 yrs myself. The cost of both insurance and basic medical care has gotten out of control.