PDA

View Full Version : I am SO run down...I keep catching the latest bug that is going around

iluvmybaby
02-17-2008, 02:16 PM
For the last three weeks, I have caught the latest bug that was going around weekly. First the stomach flu, that lasted four days. Then a sore throat that lasted five days off and on. Now on the third week I was finally feeling better, and I caught a nasty flu that turned into a cold. It has been 7 days, the first three days I had aches/chills and a fever. Then, I had a stuffed up nose that turned into sinus congestion/runny nose, sore throat. I have been taking vitamins, OTC medicine, VICKS and orange juice. I just feel so beat down, it is discouraging to finally get better and then feel like poo. I shouldn't have this, I wash my hands a million times a day, carry Purrell, and have a healthy diet. Sorry for the LONG whine, but man I really hope that I get over this stuff soon, I am working 6 days a week and caring for my grandma...that is the worst part, I have to stay away from her if she caught this it would kill her, so I am holed up in a bedroom until the worst of this stuff passes. :thankyou for listening

Shann
02-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I hope you feel better, it's no fun being sick. I know it's going around hardcore here and I'm trying to stay away from everyone. I don't need to get sick again. If you're working 6 days and taking care of your gma, maybe that's the problem, you're running yourself down making your immune system weak.

Pepsi4me
02-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Try some zicam nasal spray. It really works quick!

tracey74
02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
ok not to flame you or anything but they say there is no such thing as a stomach flu. its a virus that acts like the flu but anyway on another note. my daughter had the flu(she didnt get her flu shot) and she had it about 10 days the first 3 were the worst.and she started out with a headache,her chest hurt,aches and pain sore throat and she felt bad the next day she had a cough, fever,chest pain,she got stuffed up,etc. I took her to the dr where they did a swab in the nose to check for flu and sure enough she had it the fever lasted like 2 days off an on. I got it a few days later(i had my flu shot) and mine lasted about 36 hrs I had all the same symptoms. my daughter then after she was over the flu ended up getting a severe ear infection. I ended up with a cough after I got over the flu and I still have it almost a week and a half later and Im congested. mine started before the flu as a chest cold type thing.so maybe you should be checked out and to rule out a sinus infection also if you arent getting any better then maybe have them do chest rays to make sure its not pneumonia which is possible Ive had the flu turn into pneumonia 4 years ago plus I had a broken leg on top of it. heres a link about what they call "stomach flu" and what can be the causes of it. again not here to flame you or say youre wrong if you feel that way I am sorry and dont intend to.http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm

myspirit
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Wash your hands more, keep them away from your face!

BeanieLuvR
02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
(((iluvmybaby))) I hope you get over it soon.

lassss
02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Hope ya feel better soon.

Pepsi4me
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
ok not to flame you or anything but they say there is no such thing as a stomach flu. its a virus that acts like the flu but anyway on another note. my daughter had the flu(she didnt get her flu shot) and she had it about 10 days the first 3 were the worst.and she started out with a headache,her chest hurt,aches and pain sore throat and she felt bad the next day she had a cough, fever,chest pain,she got stuffed up,etc. I took her to the dr where they did a swab in the nose to check for flu and sure enough she had it the fever lasted like 2 days off an on. I got it a few days later(i had my flu shot) and mine lasted about 36 hrs I had all the same symptoms. my daughter then after she was over the flu ended up getting a severe ear infection. I ended up with a cough after I got over the flu and I still have it almost a week and a half later and Im congested. mine started before the flu as a chest cold type thing.so maybe you should be checked out and to rule out a sinus infection also if you arent getting any better then maybe have them do chest rays to make sure its not pneumonia which is possible Ive had the flu turn into pneumonia 4 years ago plus I had a broken leg on top of it. heres a link about what they call "stomach flu" and what can be the causes of it. again not here to flame you or say youre wrong if you feel that way I am sorry and dont intend to.http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm

It's also called a stomach flu-

Stomach Flu (Viral Gastroenteritis)

What is stomach flu?
Stomach flu is a viral infection that affects the stomach and small intestine. It is also called viral gastroenteritis. The illness is usually brief, lasting 1 to 3 days.

How does it occur?
Many different viruses can cause gastroenteritis, including rotaviruses, adenoviruses, and the Norwalk virus. Gastroenteritis is caused by swallowing one of these viruses. The body fluids of infected people contain the virus, sometimes even before their symptoms begin. The virus can be spread by direct contact with an infected person (for example, kissing or shaking hands) or by sharing food, drink, or eating utensils.

The virus enters the stomach and intestine and inflames the lining of these organs. As a result, the stomach and intestine are temporarily unable to perform their usual functions. The virus can also cause food to move more rapidly through your gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

Some bacteria, parasites, medicines, or other medical conditions can cause infections that have symptoms similar to those of stomach flu. If your symptoms are unusually severe or last longer than a few days, your health care provider can determine if the diarrhea is caused by a virus or by something else.

What are the symptoms?
When you have stomach flu, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:

nausea
vomiting
stomach cramps
diarrhea
mild fever
fatigue
chills
loss of appetite
muscle aches.
The illness may develop over a period of hours, or it may suddenly start with stomach cramps, vomiting, or diarrhea.

PrincessArky
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
hope you are feeling better soon

Prunella
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I haven't been sick in almost 5 years (knock on wood). Whenever I feel the slightest bit run down or have been around someone who's ill, I take something called Emer'gen-C. It comes in powder form. 1000 mg. of Vitamin C, 32 mineral complexes and B Vitamins. You mix it with water (hot or cold) and drink it. It seems to work for me. You can find it in most drugstores.

iluvmybaby
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Pepsi4me Try some zicam nasal spray. It really works quick!
That SO worked TY Pepsi you rock? P.S How is your thumb?!

What is stomach flu?
Stomach flu is a viral infection that affects the stomach and small intestine. It is also called viral gastroenteritis. The illness is usually brief, lasting 1 to 3 days.

Whatever it is, it is FREAKING miserable, I couldnt eat for 3 days. Thanks for the info, I didnt realize there was a difference

tracey74 ok not to flame you or anything but they say there is no such thing as a stomach flu. its a virus that acts like the flu but anyway on another note. my daughter had the flu(she didnt get her flu shot) and she had it about 10 days the first 3 were the worst.and she started out with a headache,her chest hurt,aches and pain sore throat and she felt bad the next day she had a cough, fever,chest pain,she got stuffed up,etc. I took her to the dr where they did a swab in the nose to check for flu and sure enough she had it the fever lasted like 2 days off an on.

That is EXACTILY what I had but it lasted three weeks with 2 and 3 days in between :sob Is your daughter feeling better now?

I am feeling a little bit better now, tho I have virtually no voice and my job IS talking on the phone, so I am just squeaking right through the day. Lots of honey and lemon tea is helping tho.

Pepsi4me
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE]iluvmybaby;95804347]That SO worked TY Pepsi you rock? P.S How is your thumb?![QUOTE]

Your welcome!

My thumb is all better thank you.

magickay
02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I haven't been sick in almost 5 years (knock on wood). Whenever I feel the slightest bit run down or have been around someone who's ill, I take something called Emer'gen-C. It comes in powder form. 1000 mg. of Vitamin C, 32 mineral complexes and B Vitamins. You mix it with water (hot or cold) and drink it. It seems to work for me. You can find it in most drugstores.

I second this vote -- it helps me a lot when I'm working extra long hours during December (regular job, plus our business, makes for some 18-20 hour days, and no, that's not an exaggeration). I try to make sure I take my multi-vitamins, calcium, Vitamin E, betacarotene and something else I'm forgetting.

And clean hands are very important, especially if you handle money during the course of your day. Who knows where that dollar bill has been? It might have been tucked in a sweaty G-string...ewwwwww....

iluvmybaby
02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Prunella View Post

I keep forgetting to check for this do you think that I could find it at Walmart or WAlgreens?

tracey74
02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
iluvmybaby my daughter is feeling a lot better how about you? Im glad shes not sick but now I think my son is getting it. I had to rub vicks vaporub on him tonight because he was having problems with his chest. if hes not better I will have to take him to the dr because he also has asthma and im afraid it could be pneumonia which I hope not. Im just now starting to get my chest and coughing cleared up.I thought I was having a heart attack when it first started. it felt like food had went down the wrong pipe. cold pills seemed to help better than anything for the flu so if anyone gets this stock up on these things because its sheer heck feeling like this and it seems like youre never going to get over it.

Prunella
02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I keep forgetting to check for this do you think that I could find it at Walmart or WAlgreens?

I'm not sure. I get mine at Trader Joe's. I know CVS sells it, so I don't see why Walmart or Walgreens wouldn't carry it too.

http://www.emergenc.com/

iluvmybaby
02-20-2008, 06:01 AM
magickay
And clean hands are very important, especially if you handle money during the course of your day. Who knows where that dollar bill has been? It might have been tucked in a sweaty G-string...ewwwwww....

I am a germ-a-phobe, I carry Purrell ((spelling)) and wash my hands a million times a day. And, the thought of a germy sweaty gstring made me shudder, I think that is hilarious! Gross, but hilarious.

Prunella
I'm not sure. I get mine at Trader Joe's. I know CVS sells it, so I don't see why Walmart or Walgreens wouldn't carry it too.

I wish we had a Trader Joes I have heard SO many good things about it, lots of deals and such.

tracey74 iluvmybaby my daughter is feeling a lot better how about you? Im glad shes not sick but now I think my son is getting it. .

I am glad your daughter is feeling better, I am sorry that you and your son are getting it. I am feeling better, I have gotten a solid 8 hours for the last two days, and I am feeling a LOT better. I am still coughing and my voice is still a bit rough, but I am hacking the stuff up.

My thumb is all better thank you.
I am glad your thumb is better!

And thank you to all my BBS friends that took the time to lend their support it DID help, sometimes all it takes is a kind word and a receptive ear. I hope that everyone who has this stuff gets to feeling better soon, ((HUGS))

tracey74
02-20-2008, 11:28 PM
you know they say using hand sanitizer too much will actually kill the good bacteria on your skin and make it easier to catch germs? they say to use it only when you cant use normal soap and water. we use antibacterial hand soap(I wash my hands a lot)so maybe try that the next time that could be one of the reasons you keep getting sick also take antibacterial wipes grocery shopping with you so you can wipe down the cart handles and things like that. my hubby seems to get sick when he goes shopping so i suggested he do this also. becuase they say a shopping cart has more germs on it than most things also when using a public restroom NEVER lay your purse or anything on the floor because you can get fecal matter on it sounds gross I know but its true. also you probably know not to sit on the seat if at all possible(i hover lol).they need to make purse sized lysol(or do they)anyway thoe things might help ya and nayone else out a bit.