PDA

View Full Version : Schools not closing when the weather is really bad!

Pepsi4me
02-13-2008, 04:10 PM
It got very bad here today with snow/sleet/rain storm on top of the foot of snow we already have. The reason the school didn't close-

They don't want to make it up in June. WTH! So they would rather risk childrens lives by having the bus get in an accident. By the way one of our buses went of the road last week when they didn't close on a bad day. Thank god nobody was hurt.

As a parent I would rather be safe then sorry. I also am a lunch lady at my childrens school & I wouldn't mins an extra day in june as long as the children are kept home & safe.

Almost 500 schools in our state were closed today because of the weather & there was several accidents. One fatal accident killed 2 adults & a child.

tigger4
02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Our district does crap like that. Every other school in the area will be closed, but not ours.

I keep my kids home if it is that bad outside.

kelblend
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
We had a 2 hr delay today, but were closed yesterday. The roads were worse today than they were yesterday. Our superintendent drives me crazy.

Pepsi4me
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
We drove in ourselves & I had my daughters come home early with me when I left work at 2pm. There was no way I was letting them ride on the bus in this weather.

40 kids were not at school because parents kept them home.

Shann
02-13-2008, 04:50 PM
the school I used to go to was this way too OR they'd wait til we all got there and then cancel :getyou if it was me and really bad I'd be calling in to work and let them know I just can't make it in and then I'd let them know my children would not be going as well. It's not worth risking your lives

jayhawkfan
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
we are lucky in our district. They are really good about checking weather and letting us know in a timely manner. I keep my kids home if I think its too bad out but they still have school.

LuvBigRip
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
We just had the opposite problem here. We got 5" on the ground and the schools came to a grinding halt, what's worse is that it was melted off almost completely by 9 am.

poohlvr196
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
2 weeks ago we had 64" in 3 days and for the first time since 96 the schools were closed for 4 days because the roads were so bad plus the city court house also closed due to the snow. we still have people stranded in the outlining areas because of blowing and drifting snow. its finally getting warmer but now we have to worry about flooding